Opera 11.11 pet +portable +WebM +locales +flash-adblock

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Michalis

#76 Post by Michalis »

Opera updated to version 10.51-6248.

Is still a development snapshot release and I uploaded it for testing reasons.
===========================================================================

aarf I tested opera 10.50 and 10.51 running from 431 live cd and got the same error in console. Probably I hadn't checked it from the console :oops:
But both of them opened and worked perfectly without any crash for as long as I used them.

I'm a bit confused now, does it crash to you all the time?
Because it is an X error, do you use xorg or xvesa? I'm using xorg.
I need some info about the settings you are using in X, even the color depth, resolution etc.

Actually I'm not sure the "Atom parameter" where it is referring to. The big problem with opera is that it's closed source and can't really see what's going on in it. I'm afraid that maybe I'll have to fill a bug report at the opera's developers for it.

Anyway test the latest one package and report back.

technosaurus wrote:I don't think that it is a "static" build - just that they have switched to gtk2 support so that now you do not need to download qt. A static linked opera would require that the rest of opera be compatible with the licenses involved ... run ldd to verify, but I am pretty sure that is the case.
True isn't exactly static, it's just the closest term I can think of to describe it.
The new opera isn't only drop of the qt libraries and a switch to gtk2 but they developed from ground up a new graphical toolkit that can make opera either gtk or kde integrated, according to what's in the system. Also of course there is a new javascript engine, support of html5 and couple more new features.
Only problem is that opera is using a different html5 container (theora) than youtube and google chrome (x264) due to licenses reasons and I'm not sure what's gonna come out of that. :?

aarf

#77 Post by aarf »

quick reply more later. I ran them from console because they didnt open a browser when clicked. Browser didnt open at all either way so didnt get to crash.

rokytnji

LightHouse Puppy

#78 Post by rokytnji »

Downloaded and Extracted Opera 10.5 customised. Like 30 seconds ago. Just opened Folder and launched it from folder. Opened up Ok in Lighthouse Puppy.

I wiil probably move it to /opt and make a launcher later.

I haven't edited Icewm Toolbar yet to put it beside Opera 10.10 yet. Nor have I tested Flash or Java yet. Just posting to let ya know it opened up fine in Lighthouse Puppy.

Tool bar made me stumble for a sec Because I didn't know the big red O was where everything is at now.

Happy Trails, Rok

aarf

#79 Post by aarf »

Michalis wrote:

Because it is an X error, do you use xorg or xvesa? I'm using xorg.
I need some info about the settings you are using in X, even the color depth, resolution etc.
i just use the defaults of xorg 800x480x16
using puppy431 pfix=ram on sda2 internal SSD

edit1: tried 800x480x24 and now
/initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/home/user/Opera-10.50-portable-customized/
opens and browses.

edit2 at 800x480x24 /mnt/sdb1/Opera-10.50-portable/ gives

Code: Select all

#./opera
#
and doesn't open a browser

will give the newer 10.51 a shot later.
this line on the front page
md5sum: 698441364e1c86a5151113e1c0757e1f Opera-10.50-portable-customized.tar.gz
probably needs an edit.

Michalis

#80 Post by Michalis »

@rokytnji thanks for the feedback

aarf wrote:edit1: tried 800x480x24 and now
/initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/home/user/Opera-10.50-portable-customized/
opens and browses.
That is what I was thinking.
There have been other programs too that in 16bit color depth had gtk problems. One of them is foxit reader and I can remember couple builds of ayttm. This must be a problem in gtk or puppy for some time now.

aarf wrote:edit2 at 800x480x24 /mnt/sdb1/Opera-10.50-portable/ gives

#./opera
#
and doesn't open a browser

will give the newer 10.51 a shot later.
Yes better check 10.51 in 24bit color. Even that I don't believe that has anything to do with the problem, what's the filesystem in sdb1?

this line on the front page
md5sum: 698441364e1c86a5151113e1c0757e1f Opera-10.50-portable-customized.tar.gz
probably needs an edit.
Yes indeed, corrected.

aarf

#81 Post by aarf »

Michalis wrote:

Yes better check 10.51 in 24bit color. Even that I don't believe that has anything to do with the problem, what's the filesystem in sdb1?

file system on sdb1 is FAT. file sysem on sda2 is ext3

24 bit color and 10.51 portable customized on sdb1 opened the agreement dialog and then froze. unable to close it so rebooted. subsequent try, nothing opened and the console open just gave
#./opera
#
out of space on ext3 for the now.
calling it a day for now.

Michalis

#82 Post by Michalis »

Checked both of them in a fat partition don't have any problem, and I'm posting from it. So no fs related.

aarf wrote:24 bit color and 10.51 portable customized on sdb1 opened the agreement dialog and then froze. unable to close it so rebooted. subsequent try, nothing opened and the console open just gave
hhmmm, this make me think that there maybe is a lack of memory or of cpu power.
Most likely the former. I've read of memory leakage problems in the opera forum. I'll have to test tomorrow to my underpower computer.
Whenever you'll try to launch it again check from top the memory and cpu usage.

aarf

#83 Post by aarf »

Michalis wrote:Checked both of them in a fat partition don't have any problem, and I'm posting from it. So no fs related.

aarf wrote:24 bit color and 10.51 portable customized on sdb1 opened the agreement dialog and then froze. unable to close it so rebooted. subsequent try, nothing opened and the console open just gave
hhmmm, this make me think that there maybe is a lack of memory or of cpu power.
Most likely the former. I've read of memory leakage problems in the opera forum. I'll have to test tomorrow to my underpower computer.
Whenever you'll try to launch it again check from top the memory and cpu usage.
now 431, pfix=ram, 24 color, /mnt/sdb1/Opera-10.51-portable-customized/

opens and browses. previous attempt had jemimah's bluez pets in the pupsave so that may have been stealing all the cpu or mem capacity. may have to add a swap partition/file
compriz fusion in ripple (a past puppy derivative) also had the problem with the 16 bit color. spotting that color depth was the problem with opera10.51 was a good call though.

edit: upup458 pupsave 24 color, /mnt/sdb1/Opera-10.51-portable-customized/

# ./opera
X request error - BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter):
	Major opcode: 20, Minor opcode: 0
	Resource ID: 0

opera [crash logging]: CRASH!!
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Opera-10.51-portable-customized/usr/lib/opera/opera got signal SIGSEGV at address 0826E32B

Log was created here:
/var/tmp/crash20100315203340.txt
./opera: line 111: 29637 Killed                  "$OPERA_BINARYDIR/opera" "$@"
# X request error - BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter):
	Major opcode: 20, Minor opcode: 0
	Resource ID: 0
after crashing report sent, it 1051 re-opened and is browsing. this is posted from the reopened opera10.51.
have both opera10.10 and 10.51 running in upup458 simultaneously as i opened 10.10 while waiting for the 10.51 crash report to go through.
Attachments
cpu.jpg
current situation this is for 431, pfix=ram, 24 color, /mnt/sdb1/Opera-10.51-portable-customized/
(70.76 KiB) Downloaded 1079 times

aarf

#84 Post by aarf »

something is destroying the .sfs files on my SDcard with FAT file system.
I am fairly certain that it is caused by portable opera run from SDcard when it corrupts a file (mostly the bookmarks.adr file ) and then locks-up the partition to read-only. occurs in quirky8, quirky6 and upup458. sfs all run from the SDcard. the sfs file is corrupted causing kernel panic- not syncing message at boot. pfix=ram doesn't solve it and on renewing the sfs file the pupsave file is still intact.

booting will happen normally until i get a pop-up window in opera that says something has failed to open in opera usually the email something (edit: now attached)or the bookmarks file. then on next boot the sfs will be corrupted.
no problems of this nature occur on my SSD using ext3 partition under 431 or 421 but i mostly don't use portable opera from the SSD or SDcard when using 431 or 421 mostly for fear of corrupting the not easily renewable drive.
problem has been happening since using portable 10.10 and is happening more frequently now.
Attachments
error.opera.jpg
this is the message that informs that the partition that opera is on is now locked into read-only
(33.44 KiB) Downloaded 1044 times

Michalis

#85 Post by Michalis »

aarf sorry for the delayed respond, but work has priority.
aarf wrote:previous attempt had jemimah's bluez pets in the pupsave so that may have been stealing all the cpu or mem capacity. may have to add a swap partition/file
Possibly since you have a different reaction. I'll check it in a usb stick and report tomorrow.

aarf wrote:compriz fusion in ripple (a past puppy derivative) also had the problem with the 16 bit color. spotting that color depth was the problem with opera10.51 was a good call though.
I would call it more like "first possible problem/solution". Whenever I see X error I always think as possible problem the 16bit color depth.

aarf wrote:after [/b]crashing report sent[/b]
The best thing to solve the problems, feedback to opera

I don't see huge memory usage only 114mb, and you have 512mb which must be enough for browsing. The only possible problem is that you are not using swap file but it should appear after lot of browsing. But the "customized" version doesn't save any history, so shouldn't have problem deleting anything in case it needs more space. At my old computer which is a celeron 366 with 256mb memory but also 512mb swap doesn't crash. I'll check it with swap off.

Because I can't check every puppy version, I'll check all the possibilities with the official 431 and with quircky10.[/b]

By the way I'm using 10.51 portable all the time and except few problems, mainly writing in Greek, It's the best opera I've ever seen. It's unbelievable fast, I'm totally amazed with the work they did.

aarf

#86 Post by aarf »

*I may have a defective card reader as noted elsewhere of this forum*
this output (attached) of my corrupted FAT file system was generated in knoppix531. i cannot get this output in puppy.
I cannot/dont know how to delete or fix the corrupted files.
all badly corrupted files are associated only with opera.
the contribution of FAT's aversion to special characters/foreign characters is an unknown but highly possible component contributing to the corruption.
10.51 was functioning with occasional long freezes up until this fsck was run.
Attachments
somename.tar.gz
(1.63 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

Michalis

#87 Post by Michalis »

aarf it's very possible
Something that I noticed today, because I had never used puppy usb live before, better not to use opera portable any of the two from usb. I'm using now a usb drive which has a light and so I can see whenever it's being accessed. Using the portable operas is lighting almost all the time because it tracks everything and clears them at the end of the section. This will definitely make a usb thumb to deteriorate much sooner than it should be because of the extensive read-write function.

So I totally don't recommend to anyone to ever use opera portables from a usb thumb drive. I'll add it later and in the first post to warn everybody.

The best should be to use the opera pet inside a pup save and have use the option pfix=copy in the initrd configuration. That way it will keep everything in memory and delete them whenever needed for space. Haven't tested that yet because I'm testing also other possible problems but most likely will work. In case it won't work It will need a remaster to work and I'll provide it. Also I will provide a 10.51 pet package.

So yes it's possible the problem to be because of problematic usb drive.

I keep testing and will report later.

aarf

#88 Post by aarf »

SDcard is being used for puppy opera not flashdrive.
couldn't face using that awful seamonkey, and not having a portable opera to switch between puppys/quirkys is also too tedious to contemplate now, so took action.

backedup to elsewhere all non-corrupted files on the SDcard.
went into gparted and "checked" the FAT32 partition which deleted all the nasty corrupted files. then back to ROX to backed up elsewhere opera bookmarks and opera. tar.gz and opera.pets and removed all opera files from the FAT32 partition.
then back to gparted to shrink the SDcard FAT32 partition and create a new 250MB ext2 partition on th SDcard for opera to try it's hardest to corrupt.
this will enable e2fsck in puppy to be performed on the new ext2 partition and will not have the .sfs and pupsaves on the same partition as opera so if and when opera corrupts a file it will not lock up to read only the FAT partition and thus critical puppy files.
if opera burns up the sdcard with excessive writes so be it. sdcard is replaceable.
this is posted from /mnt/sdb2/Opera-10.51-portable-customized/opera (on the formally corrupt internal SDcard not the internal SSD) in the new ext2 setup.
also separately had long non-permanent freeze-up problems with Windows opera10.5 and 10.10 on a FAT flashdrive and resorted to reinstalling 10.10 on the hard drive of each new icafe windows XP system i used. windoze opera10.50 was awful.

rokytnji

Opera-10.51-portable on frugal install Macpup Foxy 3

#89 Post by rokytnji »

First thing. Downloaded and extracted Opera 10.51 portable. Extracted to /lib.

Edit: To explain why I put it in /lib. The Menu application Firefox in /usr/share/applications launches firefox from firefox folder in /lib. You will see the firefox folder in the first screenshot. I used the same entries that Firefox uses. Only changed the name to /lib/Opera-10.51-portable/opera . Firefox launcher uses /ilb/firefox/firefox

Opens and runs Opera fine from file in /lib. So I decided to make my own launcher instead of using your pet for menu since I am running E17 Desktop. I haven't figured where i went wrong in making a launcher in /user/share/applications/Opera-10.51-protable. I am going to attach a screenshot below to give a idea of what I did.

I have a menu entry. I get a failed to open opera log but not much there.
Maybe I should have put it in /usr/lib maybe.? But I don't think so. Kinda stumped. Otherwise Opera runs fine from the file. I couldn't upload it via the forum. Said I was trying to upload a empty file. So I am using my imageshack account to load up the thumbnails.

Above image shows where everything is. My application file. And the error message when launching Opera from Menu.

The above image is the error message log file and shows Opera in my Menu. Like I said. Kinda stumped on what went wrong.

2nd Edit: I realized I blanked out the log file in my second screeny. So below is the complete message.

Error Information:
	An exit code of 1 was returned from /lib/Opera-10.51-portable/opera.

Output Data:
	There was no output

Error Logs:
	There was no error message

rokytnji

#90 Post by rokytnji »

Since my last post. I created a Opera symlink in /usr/bin to /lib/Opera-10.51/opera , No change with error message adding the symlink.

I also tried adding a Icon Launcher in JWM Desktop by dragging and dropping /lib/Opera-10.51-portable/opera and trying to launch in JWM I wouldn't even get a error or nothing else. Just sits there. Even with the symlink added in /usr/bin. Sheeeeesh/LOL :)

Edit. Tried dragging and dropping symlink from /usr/bin in JWM to Desktop. No results doing that also.

Last Edit: I have MacPup installed frugal on its own partition on IDE Hardrive. Kinda nervous about shutting down and saving all these changes. So to err in safety mode. I am going to delete all my symlinks and application entries for now. I can always start from scratch later. So consider above posts just for info for now. Sorry I can't get this to launch. I might have to try your pet in jWM to see if your menu pet may work later. Happy Trails, Rok

rokytnji

#91 Post by rokytnji »

Well. Running 10.51 from file. I imported Firefox Bookmarks to Opera. Some would open, some would not unless I went to manage bookmarks and opened by right clicking and selecting open. :?

Seems Like Opera 10.51 is a little to buggy for me right now. Will give it a stab/try again later. I should probably just download from Operas site maybe.

At least they open up and work in my last 2 downloads opening from file.
Just a bear to make a launcher for I guess.

KF6SNJ

#92 Post by KF6SNJ »

I am using Opera 10.10 as downloaded as a tar.gz file for ubuntu from Opera. I ran the installer and haven't had any of the problems that I have read about here. Oddly, I have not even installed a flash media player. Seems that Opera already has it built it. Is this because I installed from source code or is it just an odd quirk?
The only windows I have are those on my home.

aarf

#93 Post by aarf »

@rokytnji have noticed some transient issues with bookmarks in opera10.51, but by using the “file

DaveS

#94 Post by DaveS »

Michalis........... just a thank you for this. Using 10.10 in 4.3, no issues. Removed Seamonkey and re-mastered with Opera.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Michalis

Opera 10.51 updated to version 6252

#95 Post by Michalis »

Opera 10.51 updated to version 6252

For anyone who wants to install the pets keep in mind that they will install to a different folder and so they want mess with your already installation.

From the site of opera:
Known Issues
Font problems
Language input issues
No KDE integration (yet)
Problem with address field drop down position under non compositing Window Managers
Black drop down menus for some KDE3 users
Black border around Ctrl+Tab dialog when running under compositing Window Managers
Some command line options don't work

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: it contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues, including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

DaveS thanks for your report, always good to know that works without problems

aarf I tried also Jeminah's packages and didn't notice any problem, most likely the problem is with the usb drive. In order to be sure that doesn't works so much to cause fast deterioration I suggest 2 things to do. Either make a pup save in the flash drive and by using the option pfix=copy you will make it load in the ram and thous will write back to the usb thumb at the end of the usage, or either copy the folder temporally to the hard disk (anywhere you want) use it from there and copy the profile folder back to the usbflash drive at the end. Both of those solutions will help you expand the life of the usb flash drive and opera will be faster. Consider that in my computer using it from the usb flash directly was noticeable slower, almost half speed, because it needed to write back to the usb flash often.

rokytnji Opera 10.51 is still a development release, consider it as a pre-alfa release and thous there many bugs.
For the menu aarf already gave you the solution, to make the answer a bit more simple do the following
Create a script file in "/usr/local/bin" named "opera", open it by right clicking and select "Open As Text" and paste the following:
#!/bin/sh
cd /lib/Opera-10.51-portable/
./opera
Then install my "Opera-portable-menu.pet" and restart jwm, or any other desktop environment you are using.

Will work for you if opera is at "/lib/Opera-10.51-portable/opera", as you wrote.
If this doesn't work tell me so.