Opera 11.11 pet +portable +WebM +locales +flash-adblock

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
pri

Re: Opera 10.10 static via menu

#61 Post by pri »

sheldonisaac wrote:I found that this works.

Then edit ~.jwmrc, to add this line:

<Program label="Opera web browser" icon="PuppyBrowser.png">opera</Program>

Where can I get a different icon for this, other than "PuppyBrowser.png" ?

Thanks,
Sheldon
hei is the menu still appear when you restart jwm ?
Learning by Doing

aarf

#62 Post by aarf »

Make an execuatble script in /usr/local/bin, as follows:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/apps/Opera-10.10-portable-customized
./opera

I named this little file opera
thanks.
remember to change the permissions of the new file to executable by right-click>properties>tick executable
and when it is in the /usr/bin/ it will drag to the desktop. and clicking there will open opera when it is also outside of the pupsave. mine:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh 
cd /mnt/home/opera10.10/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/ 
./opera

aarf

#63 Post by aarf »

just one last hurdle.
setting the mime type run action to open some-saved-opera.mht files to opera by dragging /usr/bin/opera into the run-action box causes opera-browser to open when the file is clicked but NOT with the clicked file opened in a tab. still need to drag an drop the opera.mht file into the open opera browser.

aarf

#64 Post by aarf »

pri wrote:

Then edit ~.jwmrc, to add this line:

<Program label="Opera web browser" icon="PuppyBrowser.png">opera</Program>

Where can I get a different icon for this, other than "PuppyBrowser.png" ?

Thanks,
Sheldon
hei is the menu still appear when you restart jwm ?
this works for me :
first edit in the right place in /root/.jwmrc

<Program label="Opera web browser" icon="/mnt/home/opera10.10/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/opera.png">opera</Program>
then menu>shutdown> restart JWM

pri

#65 Post by pri »

aarf :
yes .. sure..., but try after it instaled any pet who have menu like pidgin or add an sfs. after that. i think your menu will be disappear.

why just you make menu like other in the /usr/share/applications. and it will be generate a new menu for opera automaticaly when jwm restarted.

opera.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
TryExec=opera
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Opera
GenericName=Web browser
Exec=opera
Terminal=false
Categories=WebBrowser
Icon=opera.xpm
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/x-mimearchive;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/svg+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;image/x-bmp;image/x-xbm;application/mime
Comment=Web Browser
Type=Application
i got it from opera 10.10 debian,

sory if i am wrong, i just courious :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Learning by Doing

aarf

#66 Post by aarf »

pri wrote:aarf :
yes .. sure..., but try after it instaled any pet who have menu like pidgin or add an sfs. after that. i think your menu will be disappear.

why just you make menu like other in the /usr/share/applications. and it will be generate a new menu for opera automaticaly when jwm restarted.

opera.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
TryExec=opera
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Opera
GenericName=Web browser
Exec=opera
Terminal=false
Categories=WebBrowser
Icon=opera.xpm
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/x-mimearchive;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/svg+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;image/x-bmp;image/x-xbm;application/mime
Comment=Web Browser
Type=Application
i got it from opera 10.10 debian,

sory if i am wrong, i just courious :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
you maybe right pri and michalis could be interested, however for me i mostly have all my needed links in a launcher and seldom use the menus. it is faster and more convenient from a launcher. however sometimes i have to manually reinstall the launcher too when other install have messed with .jwmrc.

aarf

#67 Post by aarf »

now had a little time to play around with this.
installing pwidgets-2.2.4 in upup457 will erase the manual opera menu entry edited into .jwmc from above, as pointed out by pri.
installing michalis's previouly made Opera-portable-menu.pet will put this file

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Opera 10 internet suite
Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/opera.png
Comment=Opera 10 internet suite
Exec=/usr/bin/opera
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Internet;WebBrowser;
GenericName=Opera 10
to /usr/share/applications/opera10.desktop and opera will then be more permanently clickably openable from the menu.
Attachments
Opera-portable-menu.pet
(6.25 KiB) Downloaded 503 times

pri

#68 Post by pri »

:D hey... now its better...
Learning by Doing

sheldonisaac

Re: Opera 10.10 pet +portable etc

#69 Post by sheldonisaac »

(I've snipped most of this)
Michalis wrote: The portable versions are in a tar.gz form not pet and so you can extract them to anywhere you want outside from the pup save file like other partition or a usb flash drive. Also they can be used from different puppys. Even more if you are using windows you can link the window version to use the profile folder made in the place where you extracted the files and so have the same profile folder. The profile folder is where the user settings are stored.
Thanks a lot.

Now I have both this static Opera 10.10 under Puppy 4.31, and also the Windows version running in Windows XP.

I don't understand how to
link the window version to use the profile folder made in the place where you extracted the files and so have the same profile folder.
Both the Linux Opera directory and the Windows Opera folder are seen (from here, MS-Windows) as being within the same higher directory on a FAT32 partition:
D:\MyProgs\Comm\Opera
and
D:\MyProgs\Comm\Opera-10.10-portable-customized

dalderton

#70 Post by dalderton »

Opera 10.50 is still a bit shaky I think ,it keeps crashing at critical times. I am looking forward to it when it becomes stable. I have been running 10.10 for a while and it is OK but nowhere near as quick as 10.50.
Back to Chrome until 10.50 settles, the speed of chrome is addictive.
Keep up the good work.I would rather use Opera.
Regards Dennis.

Michalis

#71 Post by Michalis »

Opera 10.50 updated to version 6242.
It's much better and almost stable.

@sheldonisaac @aarf @pri and @mikeslr
Thank you all very much for the feedback and your suggestions. Unfortunately I'm very busy lately and don't have much time to get involve with the packages I provide. I'll put yours solution in the first post.
Thanks again.

sheldonisaac wrote:Now I have both this static Opera 10.10 under Puppy 4.31, and also the Windows version running in Windows XP.

I don't understand how to
link the window version to use the profile folder made in the place where you extracted the files and so have the same profile folder.
It's a bit complicated because linux and windows link files in a different way. You can achieve that by linking in the linux profile folder the folder of the windows version. That means that the real folder is the one which creates the windows version. My mistake, I should have made it more clear.
By the way I just had checked it and I'm not using it any more, it's easier to use the "opera link". The only file someone has to manually copy is the "wand.dat" which contains the passwords.

@dalderton
True version 10.50 isn't mature enough and isn't for everyday use. But try the latest version which I uploaded and I believe you'll find it much improved.

aarf

#72 Post by aarf »

Michalis wrote:Opera 10.50 updated to version 6242.
It's much better and almost stable. . . But try the latest version which I uploaded and I believe you'll find it much improved.
had quick look at 10.50 customized portable in a virgin 431 with no pupsave. On clicking the opera file a browser didn't open but opera was evident in the running processes list.

md5sum: c689dd4452f58e0bb9d749a149ca0d43 Opera-10.50-portable-customized.tar.gz
on sda2 at /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/home/user/Opera-10.50-portable-customized/

# ./opera
X request error - BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter):
        Major opcode: 20, Minor opcode: 0
        Resource ID: 0
at /mnt/sdb1/Opera-10.50-portable-customized/

# ./opera
# 

aarf

#73 Post by aarf »

md5sum: dab7900799041a5c71a67ba3077de3a0 Opera-10..50-portable.tar.gz

/mnt/sdc1/Opera-10.50-portable/

# ./opera
X request error - BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter):
        Major opcode: 20, Minor opcode: 0
        Resource ID: 0

Michalis

#74 Post by Michalis »

aarf Because I don't have time now to look at it, I will check it tonight and will report back. In my case they worked without any problem and it's a bit strange because it is a static build. Anyway I'll report you tonight and if you have seen any other problems let me know

technosaurus

#75 Post by technosaurus »

I don't think that it is a "static" build - just that they have switched to gtk2 support so that now you do not need to download qt. A static linked opera would require that the rest of opera be compatible with the licenses involved ... run ldd to verify, but I am pretty sure that is the case.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Michalis

#76 Post by Michalis »

Opera updated to version 10.51-6248.

Is still a development snapshot release and I uploaded it for testing reasons.
===========================================================================

aarf I tested opera 10.50 and 10.51 running from 431 live cd and got the same error in console. Probably I hadn't checked it from the console :oops:
But both of them opened and worked perfectly without any crash for as long as I used them.

I'm a bit confused now, does it crash to you all the time?
Because it is an X error, do you use xorg or xvesa? I'm using xorg.
I need some info about the settings you are using in X, even the color depth, resolution etc.

Actually I'm not sure the "Atom parameter" where it is referring to. The big problem with opera is that it's closed source and can't really see what's going on in it. I'm afraid that maybe I'll have to fill a bug report at the opera's developers for it.

Anyway test the latest one package and report back.

technosaurus wrote:I don't think that it is a "static" build - just that they have switched to gtk2 support so that now you do not need to download qt. A static linked opera would require that the rest of opera be compatible with the licenses involved ... run ldd to verify, but I am pretty sure that is the case.
True isn't exactly static, it's just the closest term I can think of to describe it.
The new opera isn't only drop of the qt libraries and a switch to gtk2 but they developed from ground up a new graphical toolkit that can make opera either gtk or kde integrated, according to what's in the system. Also of course there is a new javascript engine, support of html5 and couple more new features.
Only problem is that opera is using a different html5 container (theora) than youtube and google chrome (x264) due to licenses reasons and I'm not sure what's gonna come out of that. :?

aarf

#77 Post by aarf »

quick reply more later. I ran them from console because they didnt open a browser when clicked. Browser didnt open at all either way so didnt get to crash.

rokytnji

LightHouse Puppy

#78 Post by rokytnji »

Downloaded and Extracted Opera 10.5 customised. Like 30 seconds ago. Just opened Folder and launched it from folder. Opened up Ok in Lighthouse Puppy.

I wiil probably move it to /opt and make a launcher later.

I haven't edited Icewm Toolbar yet to put it beside Opera 10.10 yet. Nor have I tested Flash or Java yet. Just posting to let ya know it opened up fine in Lighthouse Puppy.

Tool bar made me stumble for a sec Because I didn't know the big red O was where everything is at now.

Happy Trails, Rok

aarf

#79 Post by aarf »

Michalis wrote:

Because it is an X error, do you use xorg or xvesa? I'm using xorg.
I need some info about the settings you are using in X, even the color depth, resolution etc.
i just use the defaults of xorg 800x480x16
using puppy431 pfix=ram on sda2 internal SSD

edit1: tried 800x480x24 and now
/initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/home/user/Opera-10.50-portable-customized/
opens and browses.

edit2 at 800x480x24 /mnt/sdb1/Opera-10.50-portable/ gives

#./opera
#
and doesn't open a browser

will give the newer 10.51 a shot later.
this line on the front page
md5sum: 698441364e1c86a5151113e1c0757e1f Opera-10.50-portable-customized.tar.gz
probably needs an edit.

Michalis

#80 Post by Michalis »

@rokytnji thanks for the feedback

aarf wrote:edit1: tried 800x480x24 and now
/initrd/mnt/dev_ro2/home/user/Opera-10.50-portable-customized/
opens and browses.
That is what I was thinking.
There have been other programs too that in 16bit color depth had gtk problems. One of them is foxit reader and I can remember couple builds of ayttm. This must be a problem in gtk or puppy for some time now.

aarf wrote:edit2 at 800x480x24 /mnt/sdb1/Opera-10.50-portable/ gives

#./opera
#
and doesn't open a browser

will give the newer 10.51 a shot later.
Yes better check 10.51 in 24bit color. Even that I don't believe that has anything to do with the problem, what's the filesystem in sdb1?

this line on the front page
md5sum: 698441364e1c86a5151113e1c0757e1f Opera-10.50-portable-customized.tar.gz
probably needs an edit.
Yes indeed, corrected.