Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 03:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Opera 11.11 pet +portable +WebM +locales +flash-adblock
Page 4 of 17 [245 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan 2010, 14:30    Post subject:  

I checked out 10.5 and it works nicely with one exception - Puppy does not support gstreamer and thus there will probably be no HTML5 video... this is the same with firefox, seamonkey, midori... pretty much all of the others. So perhaps the time has come to incorporate gstreamer (or perhaps gstreamer-ffmpeg) ughh if you know all of the dependencies and are familiar with the plethora of nuances you'll realize that is a LOT of work (and likely a lot of rework)
magerlab

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan 2010, 18:18    Post subject:  

yes, i forgot to mention about gstreamer
i believe it's a must have for puppy now

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan 2010, 23:01    Post subject:  

I've compiled Gstreamer a few times and don't remember much deps needed, but to compile it just for the use of a browser plus the,G,B,U plugins would seem like overkill.
ttuuxxx

Michalis

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan 2010, 12:11    Post subject:  

For the moment (correct me if I'm wrong) I think HTML5 isn't being used so we can skip it. But sooner or later will have to go for Gstreamer. I don't believe it's bad to go for it cause maybe it will add size but from the other hand will give us the opportunity to use many other programs which use gstreamer.

Anyway opera 10.50 will take quite some time to to become stable enough for every day use.

A good thing to keep from the alpha release is that finally it doesn't depend to qt and due to it has smaller size. Actually according to the developers it integrates better with gtk.

@magerlab
Also I can't use greek, I synced my bookmarks and all greek letters where vanished big problems with the latest flash and many more. Ok it's alpha release will wait for the next ones.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan 2010, 12:21    Post subject:  

Gstreamer does have vala bindings so there IS the possibility of a Puppy Media Player. Barry has started using mozplugger so it would be able to replace the browser plugin. Any takers?
abushcrafter

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan 2010, 14:16    Post subject:  

Michalis wrote:
For the moment (correct me if I'm wrong) I think HTML5 isn't being used so we can skip it. But sooner or later will have to go for Gstreamer. I don't believe it's bad to go for it cause maybe it will add size but from the other hand will give us the opportunity to use many other programs which use gstreamer.

Oh no you can't! I plan to use it.
aarf

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2010, 11:47    Post subject:  

have crashed my opera10.10 customised portable in quirky3 so that it now starts and continues to consume 30-36% of cpu even through restartx but the browser window will NOT open. a reboot will stop it running in task manager.
will save my bookmarks.adr and speeddial.ini file and simply unpack a new opera. have kept a copy of the failed opera for any queries
operafail.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   86.42 KB
 Viewed   1810 Time(s)

operafail.jpg

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
rokytnji

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jan 2010, 22:38    Post subject:  

Just for info. I admin at http://myubuntu.ning.com/

I try and wish anybody there a Happy Birthday when it is their birthday.
I noticed in my 10.10 install in Puppy 4.31 that when I click on a members picture or name to go to their profile, (I only tested on this site and only in the birthday section in left panel of page lower section).

Any hows. It wouldn't take me to their profile page when I tried to link. Had to use my other Opera 10 install. I know Ning uses a lot of flash. But my older Opera deals with it just fine as well as stock SeaMonkey 1.1.8 in Puppy 4.31. Just thought I'd post the info.
It aint a deal breaker yet though. Smile Happy Trails, Rok

Edit: right clicking and selecting open in new tab worked though. Embarassed

Not sure. But I think maybe flash blocker might be the culprit for this symptom. Right click options all work OK. Changing tabbed prefernces didn't help. No big deal though.
aarf

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan 2010, 01:49    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
have crashed my opera10.10 customised portable in quirky3 so that it now starts and continues to consume 30-36% of cpu even through restartx but the browser window will NOT open. a reboot will stop it running in task manager.
will save my bookmarks.adr and speeddial.ini file and simply unpack a new opera. have kept a copy of the failed opera for any queries

have fixed the crashed opera by deleting the /profile/bookmarks.adr file. it may have become corrupted by my copying in a bookmarks.adr file from elsewhere thus overwriting the original. to be sure, when importing bookmarks use the import in "file" menu in the bookmarks manager and DO NOT JUST MANUALLY REPLACE THE BOOKMARKS FILE. had very great difficulty when trying to delete the corrupted bookmarks file. if you have this problem, just delete the file and opera will create a new one on opening a new browser window.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

aarf

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan 2010, 23:27    Post subject:  

found this at the opera forums. click this link [url]opera:/button/Reload%20all%20pages,1,,418061858,%22Reload%22[/url]
drag the button to a tool bar and you have all tab refresh button. especially useful on fragile wifi connections.
edit:: the forum script doesnt recognise it as a link so copy and paste it into your opera browser then you will get
Quote:
Invalid address

You tried to access the address opera:/button/Reload%20all%20pages,1,,418061858,%22Reload%22, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelt and punctuated, then try reloading the page

then click the link in that error message to proceed. be sure to save the new button before closing the popup.

_-¤-_

technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan 2010, 19:56    Post subject:  

Post Deleted

Last edited by technosaurus on Sun 24 Jan 2010, 18:14; edited 1 time in total
Michalis

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan 2010, 13:58    Post subject:  

Deleted
potchan

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan 2010, 11:53    Post subject: The new opera  

Hi Michalis and Team,

Shapo ! just installed it (Potchan devel's priorities, sorry). I can see the matureness and drinkability during use, via my mobile SD which is a relatively slowish media (where Seamonkey opens by 15 long sec's, Opera opens in 5 and consumes less resources). Keep going Laughing and after deeper use maybe I'll share more with U.

sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb 2010, 18:06    Post subject: Opera 10.10 static via menu  

I found that this works.

Make an execuatble script in /usr/local/bin, as follows:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/apps/Opera-10.10-portable-customized
./opera

I named this little file opera

------------------------

Then edit ~.jwmrc, to add this line:

<Program label="Opera web browser" icon="PuppyBrowser.png">opera</Program>

Where can I get a different icon for this, other than "PuppyBrowser.png" ?

Thanks,
Sheldon
aarf

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb 2010, 23:30    Post subject: Re: Opera 10.10 static via menu  

sheldonisaac wrote:
I found that this works.

Make an execuatble script in /usr/local/bin, as follows:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/apps/Opera-10.10-portable-customized
./opera

I named this little file opera

------------------------

Then edit ~.jwmrc, to add this line:

<Program label="Opera web browser" icon="PuppyBrowser.png">opera</Program>

Where can I get a different icon for this, other than "PuppyBrowser.png" ?

Thanks,
Sheldon
ok will give it a shot. thanks. icons are in the opera folders.

_-¤-_

Page 4 of 17 [245 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: