Opera 11.11 pet +portable +WebM +locales +flash-adblock

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
aarf

#31 Post by aarf »

clicking the symlink in /usr/bin/opera doesnt open opera either.

just to be sure which opera must be symlinked

/mnt/home/opera10.10/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/opera

or

/mnt/home/opera10.10/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/usr/lib/opera/opera

i believe i have tried both.

Michalis

#32 Post by Michalis »

Ok back home time to start the job. :)

First of all the one that has to be symlinked is:
/.../Opera-10.10-portable-customized/opera

I'm using opera now (Opera-10.10-portable-customized) in dpup running live from the cd. Because on opera the default place to look for firefox plugins is: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, I had to add also the path used in dpup: /lib/firefox/plugins in order for the plugins to work. Afterwards I run omelette.swf (/usr/share/examples/vector-images/omelette.swf) and didn't had any crash, I also opened the default adobe flash page as also couple youtube videos and didn't had any problem. Add the /lib/firefox/plugins path and remove the other and check whether it's working ok. Next opera releases will have also /lib/firefox/plugins path (even that it would be better all the mozilla based browsers had a common plugin path in every puplet-woof version).

For the following console errors don't bother is normal:
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

The next line is also normal, is a small hack I put in, in order to work in the normal puppy:
ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/libaudio.so.2': File exists

Ok I found where the problem with the menu is. The problem has nothing to do with the Opera-portable-menu.pet. Unfortunately the problem is with the symlinked wrapper and the libraries paths and is the same that affects every puplet-wooflet. For the time being I'm trying to hack the code but I'm not succeeding :oops: Anyhow it will take some time since I have to do some homework in bash programming and especially some functions. I don't guarantee that I'll manage to solve it :oops:

abushcrafter

#33 Post by abushcrafter »

Michalis wrote: For the following console errors don't bother is normal:
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
In prefs set the path to java.

aarf

#34 Post by aarf »

Ok now no crashing after adding new path, unticking the old path, then rescanning the plugins.
After the omelette test went back and reticked the mozilla path so i can use opera in other puppies. Did the omelette test again. Still no crash so opera looks fixed. The symlink issue may be something that needs looking into in dpup or in puppy itself.

Dingo

#35 Post by Dingo »

Opera 10.10 static packages mirrored on dokupuppy (no wait time for download) coming soon I'll add other mirrors

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... ms:browser
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

rokytnji

#36 Post by rokytnji »

Ok I found where the problem with the menu is. The problem has nothing to do with the Opera-portable-menu.pet.
I think you are right. Because I downloaded your tar.gz instead of the pet. I extracted it to /opt.

The opera shellscript in the file in /opt/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/opera opens Opera 10.1 just fine from rox. When I drag opera to desktop and set icon , it will fail to open.

Renamed it opera2 (because I have another opera in /usr/bin that works which is Opera 10) and tried making a launcher from there but no go either. Gonna rename opera2 back to opera in /opt. Deleted the experiment opera2 in /usr/bin since that didn't work.

Haven't messed with the adblock pet yet. Figured I would figure out how come it won't launch from /opt via Desktop Icon first. Like I said. Clicking on it in /opt launches just fine. Happy trails, Rok

Edit: just for info I clicked on my opera2 renamed file in /opt and opera opened up just fine. So renaming it opera2 didn't change anything as far as how it acts.

aarf

#37 Post by aarf »

If you symlink opera to /opera and also symlink the other folders and then click the opera symlink it will start opera. But wont link on the desktop.
So i think if you make the extractable so that it is /usr/bin/opera and configure the paths accordingly it may then symlink to the desktop as did the previous portable opera that you helped me configure.

ttuuxxx

#38 Post by ttuuxxx »

I tossed it in Fire Hydrant Retro Lite, First I changed the layout so it somewhat works like most browsers do, gui on top of the tabs :)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31049
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

rokytnji

#39 Post by rokytnji »

:D Just some more feedback for you. Portable Opera 10 Customized tar.gz. /opt/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/opera. Puppy 4.31 full.

Flashblock works without any config from me.
Flash works fine with sound and everything.
Picked up my Java 6ui7 ok
Faster than Opera 10 Pet I have installed in /usr/bin

Still working on Launcher from Desktop Icon. :?

Michalis

#40 Post by Michalis »

Some info about the problem

The problem is in the wrapper which gives the position of the libraries and executables. The problem is that depending from where someone calls the wrapper gives different pathways. In most cases gives the relative path but not always also.

To make it more clear let's say that the portable package is extracted at /mnt/sad7/ then the wrapper will be:
/mnt/sda7/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/opera
If you click over the wrapper it works fine because gives the correct relative paths for everything in the opera. For example will tell that opera executable is located at:
Opera-10.10-portable-customized/opera/usr/lib/opera/opera
and so on with all the executables and libraries.

Now in case anybody will call the wrapper from any other position, like symlink it or from the terminal it fails to give the correct path. For example when symlinked to /usr/bin/ it believes that the opera executable is located at:
/usr/bin/usr/lib/opera/opera or /usr/lib/opera/opera
which of course doesn't exist and thous it fails. The same is happening for every library, exe.

I believe that the problem can be fixed by changing the wrapper and make it always to give the relative path according to the position where it's located. Actually I can't be 100% sure that is going to work since opera is closed search :( and because of that I can't know if there any other internal calls that are looking for some libraries in paths other than the wrapper has pointed to. Also my programming skills are very primitive and bash is a lot different from pascal and C++ that was using in the university, many times I don't understand it. Nevertheless is interesting trying to learn something new and look what it will come out.

If anyone has programming skills in bash is invited to try to solve the problem. A possible useful command is #realpath that gives back the real absolute path of the wrapper where over it must be placed the relative paths. Of course if there are any other suggestions on how to overcome it please post them.

@abushcrafter
I know it's about java but even with java installed and running I get those errors. So I don't search more, don't bother with them :lol:

@aarf
Good to see that the plugins problem is solved :D
About symlinking the folders that must work (haven't tried it) but that means that someone must do it manually for all the folders in every puppy. :shock: That's why I'm trying to do it through the wrapper

@rokytnji
About launching opera from the desktop I believe now you understand why can't work yet.
The customized opera has adblock and flashblock installed and configured, enjoy it :D

@ttuuxxx
Download and ready for inspection :lol:
I didn't understand what you changed in the layout but I'll find out.

One way to make a bit easier the launch of the opera in the portable form is to symlink the folder e.x:/mnt/sda7/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/ to the desktop. That way you open the folder and by clicking at opera it launch. Not perfect solution but a 2 click solution.

rokytnji

#41 Post by rokytnji »

One way to make a bit easier the launch of the opera in the portable form is to symlink the folder e.x:/mnt/sda7/Opera-10.10-portable-customized/ to the desktop. That way you open the folder and by clicking at opera it launch. Not perfect solution but a 2 click solution.
LOL, you must be psychic. I have been launching it this way since last post.

abushcrafter

#42 Post by abushcrafter »

Michalis wrote: @abushcrafter
I know it's about java but even with java installed and running I get those errors. So I don't search more, don't bother with them :lol:
Fool!

MENU>>Tools>Preferences>Advanced>Content>Java Options (BUTTON)

my path is" /usr/java/jre-1.6.0.17/lib/i386/"
to the file "libjavaplugin_oji.so"

ttuuxxx

#43 Post by ttuuxxx »

Michalis wrote: @ttuuxxx
Download and ready for inspection :lol:
I didn't understand what you changed in the layout but I'll find out.
The "feel" of the browsers Gui, I made it work more like Seamonkey/Firefox, the tabs are where they should be just above the page. and the regular nav buttons above the tabs, Opera/Chrome likes to turn these functions upside down.
below full screenshot Of Opera in FH-retro-lite
ttuuxxx

Michalis

10.50 portable

#44 Post by Michalis »

Development version 10.50 added only in portable form. Be careful it is unstable and has many problems it isn't for everyday use as it also crashes many times. For the people that know what they are doing I call you to check it since this is going to be the future of the opera not qt libraries based but over it's own independent gui tool.

For the menu entry I haven't succeed to make work yet. I'll keep trying anyway.

rokytnji wrote:LOL, you must be psychic. I have been launching it this way since last post.
I knew it could work this way but I don't really like it as it seems kind of odd or half working. That's why I want to make it work through the menu. But at the end till now is the best way.

ttuuxxx wrote:The "feel" of the browsers Gui, I made it work more like Seamonkey/Firefox, the tabs are where they should be just above the page. and the regular nav buttons above the tabs, Opera/Chrome likes to turn these functions upside down.
Strange but I had never noticed that it was deferent. Fire Hydrant Retro Lite is also looking good and it is indeed lite. Only that unfortunately couldn't recognize my ethernet nor load the module r8169 even that all other puppies I've tried never had problem on that. Another problem was that I didn't find power management modules for my amd k10+ cpu.

magerlab

#45 Post by magerlab »

i think new opera 10.5 without qt dependencies will be a good candidate for new puppy releases. I use a pre-alpha for a week and though it's only pre-alpha it works nice and cathces gtk theme to draw buttons and menus
let's see what they will do when stable release comes.....
now some features do not work( i can not type in russian in forum boxes or search panel, cannot remove or add buttons)

technosaurus

#46 Post by technosaurus »

I checked out 10.5 and it works nicely with one exception - Puppy does not support gstreamer and thus there will probably be no HTML5 video... this is the same with firefox, seamonkey, midori... pretty much all of the others. So perhaps the time has come to incorporate gstreamer (or perhaps gstreamer-ffmpeg) ughh if you know all of the dependencies and are familiar with the plethora of nuances you'll realize that is a LOT of work (and likely a lot of rework)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

magerlab

#47 Post by magerlab »

yes, i forgot to mention about gstreamer
i believe it's a must have for puppy now

ttuuxxx

#48 Post by ttuuxxx »

I've compiled Gstreamer a few times and don't remember much deps needed, but to compile it just for the use of a browser plus the,G,B,U plugins would seem like overkill.
ttuuxxx

Michalis

#49 Post by Michalis »

For the moment (correct me if I'm wrong) I think HTML5 isn't being used so we can skip it. But sooner or later will have to go for Gstreamer. I don't believe it's bad to go for it cause maybe it will add size but from the other hand will give us the opportunity to use many other programs which use gstreamer.

Anyway opera 10.50 will take quite some time to to become stable enough for every day use.

A good thing to keep from the alpha release is that finally it doesn't depend to qt and due to it has smaller size. Actually according to the developers it integrates better with gtk.

@magerlab
Also I can't use greek, I synced my bookmarks and all greek letters where vanished big problems with the latest flash and many more. Ok it's alpha release will wait for the next ones.

technosaurus

#50 Post by technosaurus »

Gstreamer does have vala bindings so there IS the possibility of a Puppy Media Player. Barry has started using mozplugger so it would be able to replace the browser plugin. Any takers?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].