Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#151 Post by Flash »

I apologize if this is already known. With 10 pages already in this thread I may have missed it. :)

I like the desktop widgets. I discovered the Pwidgets control panel in 4.2 RC2, and that it has a white clock face (skin) called arne32. I prefer a white clock face. When I tried to switch the clock skin that came with RC2 to the arne32 skin, all the widgets disappeared from the desktop and Pwidgets froze. I restarted Pwidgets and chose clock-analog from the menu, and all the desktop widgets reappeared, the clock now with the skin I wanted.

However, when I rebooted there were again no widgets on the desktop. They reappeared again when I again chose the clock in Pwidgets, but how do I fix it so I don't have to do that?

Also, the calender widget overlaps the "Puppy Space" widget and the "Puppy Linux 4.2" logo overlaps the "lock" icon (which, if I move it, goes back to where it used to be when Puppy reboots. :? ) I can drag the clock around, how come I can't drag the other widgets around on the desktop?

trio

#152 Post by trio »

Flash

I am guessing that you use previous pup_save file right? Please try with fresh start..
If you already use virgin pup_save then maybe you need to adjust sleep (go to pwidgets prefs) and re_apply
Analog_clock is actually xonclock..can be set to move around or not..see /root/.xonclockrc and most of the other widgets are conky based which you cannot move around..thanks

dogone

Encouragement and Thanks

#153 Post by dogone »

Having watched 4.2 development from the beginning and reported a thing or three, I am simply amazed at how well this group has conducted itself. Everyone has (for the most part) displayed saintly patience as issues are identified, reported, addressed and resolved. Evidence the fact that each 4.2 release is significantly better than the preceeding. "Final" will not be perfect nor satisfy everyone, but every contribution between here and there helps. If you're among the dissatisfied, simply step back and take in this miracle of commradship and cooperation and know that you are probably still here because "here" is where your heart is.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#154 Post by Flash »

trio wrote:Flash

I am guessing that you use previous pup_save file right? Please try with fresh start..
I should have mentioned that I updated a multisession DVD from 4.2 RC1 to 4.2 RC2 by burning the RC2 iso onto the DVD with Burniso2cd then saving previous settings and programs when I shut down. I'll try it without saving the settings and see what happens.
If you already use virgin pup_save then maybe you need to adjust sleep (go to pwidgets prefs) and re_apply
Thanks, I'll try that. :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

WhoDo

Re: Encouragement and Thanks

#155 Post by WhoDo »

dogone wrote:Having watched 4.2 development from the beginning and reported a thing or three, I am simply amazed at how well this group has conducted itself. Everyone has (for the most part) displayed saintly patience as issues are identified, reported, addressed and resolved. Evidence the fact that each 4.2 release is significantly better than the preceeding.
One of the differences, which I expected might cause some friction, is that Barry never felt compelled to offer a reason for any of his choices - and rightly so; it was and is his project. I envy him that position. I am not, nor will I ever be, in the same league as Barry so I feel I have to make it clear why I have made most of my choices. I find that transparency and constant communication make cooperation not just easier but indeed possible in the first place.

My one failing is that I don't like to see my crew of devs or their product either criticised unfairly or the subject of unreasonable demands from users who may have made exactly zero contribution (including testing). During the whole 2.15CE development cycle I only lost it once (where are you now, AJ? :wink: ). So far on this project I have only lost it once (sorry Nathan but it seemed to me like you were saying "get your act together or I won't support the project" - a bit harsh considering how much effort has been put in by a whole host of volunteers).

Thank you, dogone, for acknowledging that as a general rule the Puppy community of developers, testers and users have remained remarkably supportive of each other and positive toward the project throughout the whole Deep Thought development cycle. We are nearing the end of that process and I am extemely proud of what these guys have produced, as I'm sure the wider community will be when they have the final result in hand.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

ttuuxxx

#156 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey WhoDo
Here's another Icon theme for icewm menu its only 20kb extrated, because most of the icons are already in puppy and i used system links,
Came out pretty nice, compressed its like 6.5kb lol
also I noticed we have a few double icons, and some really outdated ones,
if you go to
/usr/share/pixmaps
you'll see a inkscape&Gimp icon, which we don't have inkscape or gimp installed, they can be axed, With this last theme I made I included a inscape icon I painfully recoloured so it looks great in the dark/black menus :)
next keep looking in /usr/share/pixmaps
you'll notice glade and gnome,and gnumeric icons, we already have those is you click the gunermic folder you'll see them so you can delete those and system link them from the folder, same with the glade.
we have like 3 abiword icons also in /usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/
they can call be deleted and system link /usr/share/icons/abiword_48.png three times and rename it, its a far more modern and better looking icon anyways :), The 48x48 looks great as a renamed 24x24 icon.
Also this theme has a real nice lighting bolt which could replaced, just rename it, including the extension, If you want.
/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-ray.xpm
ttuuxxx
Attachments
regulartype.png
(34.1 KiB) Downloaded 913 times
regulartype.pet
(7.3 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

zigbert

#157 Post by zigbert »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:Are you watching, Zigbert?
:)

zigbert

#158 Post by zigbert »

Whodo wrote:it wouldn't take too much extra effort to add appropriate icons for ttuuxxx's shutdown dialog to the themes being switched.
Please use gtk builtin icons for size and unifying look
Last edited by zigbert on Mon 09 Mar 2009, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

tronkel

#159 Post by tronkel »

Finally got rc2 to print from Officejet G85 using the Gutenprint driver! I think this is the first time since version 4.00 that Puppy printing has worked for me. So I can go back and use Puppy again for everday stuff

I took WhoDo's suggestion and installed hplip. I used the hplip lite version from this forum. It seemed not to work at first, but when I booted my computer this morning, the printer coughed and spluttered into life and then spewed out all the test pages that I had been attempting to print.

Hmm ... reminds me of a car I used to own ..... Hope it all keeps running!

Still haven't got the ATI Radeon driver sorted out yet, but that's not so vital.

So RC2 is looking as if it is getting to final. Kudos to WhoDo, Ttuuxxx and all the other contributors. This is another Puppy classic in the style of 2.15CE.

Would be nice to take one of the Woof versions (when they are mature enough) and give it a Deep Thought makeover.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

WhoDo

#160 Post by WhoDo »

zigbert wrote:
Whodo wrote:it wouldn't take too much extra effort to add appropriate icons for ttuuxxx's shutdown dialog to the themes being switched.
Come on, it is just silly having unique icons in the shut down dialog. The dialog is getting bigger than Pburn. Please use gtk builtin icons. This way the dialog might be seen in some puplets.
Ok, which ones? Where do they "live" and are they always there? Remember, Sigmund, I don't do the coding I just read it, so you'll have to lead me by the hand for such things! :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#161 Post by WhoDo »

tronkel wrote:Still haven't got the ATI Radeon driver sorted out yet, but that's not so vital.
Here is one thread to start you off:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38516

and you can always search Puppy the easy way:
http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Hope that helps, Jack.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#162 Post by Lobster »

Thank you, dogone, for acknowledging that as a general rule the Puppy community of developers, testers and users have remained remarkably supportive of each other and positive toward the project throughout the whole Deep Thought development cycle. We are nearing the end of that process and I am extremely proud of what these guys have produced, as I'm sure the wider community will be when they have the final result in hand.
There are some important lessons we have implemented. :D

1. Transparency and using the forum rather than IRC as the 'meeting point'. This overcomes issues around time zones
2. Organization through implementation. We had a very flexible and practically non existent structure that arose organically; centered around our developers and their efforts.
3. More users, more testers, more coders. Being a more popular distro has enabled much more effort and feedback
4. Focus on one project 'Deep Thought'. There are frisky puplets and many distractions and possible directions. We developed and stuck to a clear agenda. That I feel is largely though Warrens efforts.

Petting and positive reinforcement creates a better Puppy.
I have been using Deep Thought for my day to day OS since RC1.

Incidentally I am having to use IceWM as the JWM taskbar has disappeared - where she gone? :?

Keep petting. Keep Frisky. Dog biscuits for everyone . . . :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

trio

#163 Post by trio »

"Pokoknya pakai puppy"
Indonesian of
"Whatever...I'll keep using puppy"

WhoDo

Xvesa testing

#164 Post by WhoDo »

One aspect of the Puppy-4.2 development cycle that concerns me is that we don't have many people testing Xvesa. We did get a complaint early in the cycle about Xvesa endlessly looping instead of shutting down. I still don't know if that has been an isolated incident, resolved or still remains to be tackled. I'd hate to get all the way to Final and have a disgruntled Xvesa user crop up to say "This is crap because Xvesa doesn't work!" :roll:

Is there anyone out there in a position to trial Xvesa on a variety of video cards / machines and let me know the results, please? :?

tronkel

#165 Post by tronkel »

Luxury!

WhoDo wrote
Here is one thread to start you off:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38516
ATI driver now working with Radeon 3450 card.

Using the ATI Catalyst system seems to disable the ability to retain the xorg keyboard setting, which means that the keyboard has to be set up every time X is restarted or the computer rebooted.

This minor niggle apart, this is a very satisfactory outcome.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

tasmod

#166 Post by tasmod »

Just noticed that 'blinky' wasn't showing in the tray.

Examined jwm-tray and trios fix was not added to blinky line.

Is it my machine or did I miss a change regarding blinky.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

cthisbear

#167 Post by cthisbear »

" trial Xvesa on a variety of video cards "

All I use is Xvesa.

Perfect on my Gigabytes MB 2.8 Celeron 512 ram
Radeon 9200 video.

I have booted a couple of different machines with various
4.2 Alphas, betas and a RC etc.
I encountered no issues.

Fixed a HP 3gig laptop today 17" screen??
no specs..I had other errands....but about 3-4 years old.
It also has Puppy 4.12 on it running flawlessly.

Puppy 4.2 RC2 and pfix=ram are no probs today with Xvesa.
Only one ever HP laptop gave me a problem with Puppy,
months ago..so I was forced to use Xorg.

Chris.

WhoDo

#168 Post by WhoDo »

tasmod wrote:Just noticed that 'blinky' wasn't showing in the tray.

Examined jwm-tray and trios fix was not added to blinky line.

Is it my machine or did I miss a change regarding blinky.
Definitely included in RC2, so either you're working from an old pup_save or the upgrade didn't overwrite that file (as sometimes happens). Since implementing trio's fix I haven't had a single problem with the disappearing blinky in any of my numerous tests. I'd call that solved.

WhoDo

#169 Post by WhoDo »

cthisbear wrote:All I use is Xvesa.

Perfect on my Gigabytes MB 2.8 Celeron 512 ram
Radeon 9200 video.
Thanks, chris. That's good news. 8) The earlier complaint may have been a 1-off then, or implimentation of the revised i810 driver may have helped the OP. Hasn't complained or followed up since. :|

zigbert

#170 Post by zigbert »

Here is ttuuxxx shutdown dialog without bloat.

The one in Puppy 4.2 rc2: 25kb (uncompressed)
This one: 3kb (uncompressed)

This one works both for JWM and icewm, so .jwmrc must be edited to point to 'shutdown' instead of 'shutdownjwm'.

Attachments
shutdown-CE.pet
(950 Bytes) Downloaded 381 times