JWM 2.0.1 Enhancements and Fixes

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
ttuuxxx

#136 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ya well I might of been somewhat a ladies man back in my day, lol With a nice rugged exterior, lol But I was a always party-animal/womanizer/prep/NERD@heart, lol lol lol
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

sikpuppy

#137 Post by sikpuppy »

big_bass wrote: my question is if you don't like "nerds"
why do you post in development/developer threads?

Joe
Whoa ease up turbo! I should maybe have been more literal.

The average user uses the mouse and doesn't use the keyboard. Basically as long as the mouse can do everythng then they are happy.

The average programmer/developer/whatever will use the keyboard far more efficiently. However, my point was that they would be able to customise puppy themselves to suit this.

I post in threads here because I sometimes have something to say. I don't guarentee that you or anyone else will like it, I most certainly wouldn't use that as a basis for or against posting.
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

steve_s

#138 Post by steve_s »

I haven't read the whole 10 pages, so forgive me if my post is out of place and not going with the flow of the thread, whatever that is...

...but I just wanted to tell Patriot: thank you very much and this look really great! 8)

big_bass

#139 Post by big_bass »

sikpuppy wrote:
big_bass wrote:

Whoa ease up turbo! I should maybe have been more literal.

The average user uses the mouse and doesn't use the keyboard. Basically as long as the mouse can do everything then they are happy.
hey sikpuppy
just a misunderstanding it looked like Patriot was taking heat for helping out from a few people
note: shortly after one of our members quit

differences of opinion don't bother me I actually like to hear things from another view point

thanks for clearing up things that's cool 8)

Joe

joel

JWM and Transparency acting loopy.

#140 Post by joel »

Excuse me for asking if its been asked already, but I noticed an issue. When I enable transparency, the menus don't go transparent. Unless, I enable the CoolVG JWM theme. After I enable that one and restart JWM only, I then can pick any other JWM theme (or a gtk then applied to JWM) and it will apply with transparency. However, if I restart X transparency goes away and the menus are back to solid color. This only affects the menus. The windows will stay transparent no matter what JWM or GTK them I use. If I just enable the CoolVG theme and leave it on and then restart X it boots up transparent. Any ideas? I don't see why CoolVG is unique that it enables the effect, and all others don't. Especially, when if I enable CoolVG first they will work for the session. Please help!!!!
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea:

Patriot

Re: JWM and Transparency acting loopy.

#141 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@joel

Transparency setting is a local setting (not a global setting) configured within each theme. CoolVG and gradient-brown-t2 themes are provided as an example how it can be done. The rest of the themes are default jwm themes included with the standard puppy and requires you to add the necessary transparency option.

The <Opacity> option is how you control transparency/translucency level (ex: 0.8 = 80% / 0.55 = 55%). <Opacity> option tag can be specified for WindowStyle, TrayStyle and MenuStyle. Find the /root/jwm/themes folder and add the necessary transparency settings to all the themes (files that ends with -jwmrc) that you like.

Rgds

joel

#142 Post by joel »

Thanks. I figured it was something simple like the other themes need to be configured. I like the work you put in to JWM. Thanks

PS: Does transparency slow things down for you? It seems when I have it on there is a 1-2 second delay to open windows. Any way to speed it up. I have a decent card so it shouldnt do it.

Thanks Again!
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea:

`f00

#143 Post by `f00 »

Well, unless you set the fade option .. actually it might well be the x/kcompmgr doing its thing (and that does seem to take a bit - mainmenu and trays not so much, but especially if the windows have translucency enabled individually via the taskbutton or header-menu). A more 'elegant' window-translucency (for windows as a focus group in sequence) seems to work nicely with the jwm-456-i386.pet(?) - Xorg may have lots of little hwr ideosyncracies that can affect performance .. depending :wink:

Patriot

#144 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
joel wrote:..... PS: Does transparency slow things down for you? .....
I periodically do JWM translucency tests on older hardware such as i810 and S3virge vga cards. They run reasonably fast without the fade option. On older hardware, I normally turn on transparency for menu + taskbar plus only on certain (static/non-editing) apps like audacious where very little editing is needed. I do not recommend full time transparency for editors or file managers.

If you're running on a nice card (like nv gf2/gf4/gf5 above or ati 85/92 above) then the vendor driver should give better performance. If you really love the fade option then reduce the fade cycle by increasing the values.

`foo correctly states that Xorg performance can be affected by hardware+software driver mix. For example, the intel driver is well supported (by the manufacturer) and runs very well. The nv (nvidia) driver is not properly supported (by the manufacturer) and doesn't really maximize gpu/vga capabilities. Sometimes, tinkering with xorg/driver settings can give a boost here and there (but I'm no expert in these area and unable to advise how).

Rgds

BarryK
Puppy Master

#145 Post by BarryK »

There is something that is on hold, as I left Upup to work on Ppup 4 series.

Using the latest official nightly snapshot of jwm, running in Upup which has Xorg 7.4, we have a problem with icons not displaying in the jwm menu. But, I think that problem was if 24-bit color was chosen, and the icons did display with 16-bit color.

But the question remains unanswered -- is that problem due to Xorg 7.4, or the latest jwm?

Note, in Upup 416 I have Xorg 7.3 and Patriot's slightly modified source ...um, what was that now... yes, version 2.0.1-pb-1.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Patriot

#146 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@BarryK

Interesting ...

Could you point me to the Upup iso in question? I wasn't following Upup progress and am unaware of the problem. I'd also like to know the vga driver being used (was it i810/intel?) ... It would be interesting to find out why the icons doesn't render at all ....

Rgds

ttuuxxx

#147 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hi patriot I noticed something on the jwm in 416, say you have gimp installed and gimp is opened and minimized, you grab/drag a picture and want to drop on gimp that is minimized on the taskbar, gimp doesn't maximize? you have to let go of the image and max gimp then drop it on the main window, same with say a mp3, movie, doc etc, wouldn't it be nice if you could drop files on there min task window.?
ttuuxxx

Patriot

#148 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@ttuuxxx

XDrag-n-drop (XDnD) is not supported by JWM. Not one single line of code for XDnD is in JWM (if I'm not mistaken). It's possible to add this functionality ..... needs time, a good plan, some patience and lotsa coffee to implement it properly ... I'll put it on KIV list and see how it goes (need to load up another tonne on my motivation)... no promises ...

Rgds

ttuuxxx

#149 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey Patriot don't worry about it, I don't want to be a pain, still would rather freememory,clock,blinky being a part of JWM code,lol I know you said no, but even on the latest 416 just released last week, if you type "fixmenus" then restart JWM as you do, Freememory flies off the taskbar and lands in the upper left hand corner of the screen, I know put a delay etc, thats just another added script really what would be nice is to figure out why the clock never ever has left the taskbar and the rest all have in the past, what makes the clocks code so special, That it doesn't need a delay and just works 100% of the time.
ttuuxxx

Patriot

#150 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
ttuuxxx wrote:..... Freememory flies off the taskbar and lands in the upper left hand corner of the screen, I know put a delay etc, thats just another added script really what would be nice is to figure out why the clock never ever has left the taskbar and the rest all have in the past, what makes the clocks code so special, That it doesn't need a delay and just works 100% of the time.
ttuuxxx
Ok, external applets do occasionally gets "orphaned" from the systray ... The clock on the other hand is an internal "applet" with no extra dependency, just a simple clock display with an option to call an external program. Freemem/blinky is not a so-simple external applet. They uses GTK+ and tries to hook onto the systray upon starting. They have layers ....

At first, I see a memory hungry absvolume. After looking at the layers, it dawned upon me that the actual memory usage for absvolume is roughly 680KB (binary+stack+data). The rest are mostly GTK+ and related libs ... layers ... Ogre has layers ... errr ... uh, modern programming has layers ... just like onions, it has layers ... :)

The most stable applet in the sense that it reliably gets to the systray is absvolume. I'm hoping to make a new template based on a cleaned up absvolume and then re-base all these applets using the new template. This will make them easier to maintain, whack, whatever ...

Now, let me find another tonne of motivation ...

Rgds

01micko

#151 Post by 01micko »

About that issue where the menu icons don't show...

I have no such problem in 4.2.1 k2.6.15.16 running JWM 2.0.1-pe (Alpha preview) and in Slaxer-pup with JWM-456. ( I compiled that with src2pkg and then dir2pet especially for Slaxer-pup). Slaxer-pup just uses the standard 412 xorg driver.

I think I was one of the first to report the issue if you choose the 24 option in upup, then someone reported that 16 was ok, so I switched to that. Are there any logs you want for comparison?

I can test in any pup you want ... I have more running than the full card at the Dapto Dogs...
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pstef

JWM and xrandr

#152 Post by pstef »

Hi. I am owner of Samsung SyncMaster 740N monitor which is able to rotate its screen so I can use 1024x1280 resolution with xrandr -o left. However, JWM still thinks that it's 1280x1024 so the taskbar is too wide and placed too high. I have managed to modify JWM's source to support 'rotated' resolution but I'd like to have it as an option (manual option would be sufficient for me). I tried, but I failed so I'm asking you for some help.

Oh, and what I did was just swapping rootWidth with rootHeight in OpenConnection().
Last edited by pstef on Fri 31 Jul 2009, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot

Re: JWM and xrandr

#153 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
pstef wrote: ..... xrandr -o left. .....
AFAIK, JWM has no xrandr support and it detects screen resolution on startup. So, forget about swapping rootWidth and rootHeight.

Your best bet is either:
1. Put xrandr -o left in .xinitrc before JWM.
-or-
2. Make a script in ~/Startup to do xrandr -o left.

Of course, take a pinch of salt with the above as I have no rotating CRT monitor to play with ... :)

Rgds

pstef

#154 Post by pstef »

forget about swapping rootWidth and rootHeight
Why? Since
I have managed to modify JWM's source to support 'rotated' resolution
I just need it to become an option, not hardcoded feature.

Sit Heel Speak

Re: JWM and xrandr

#155 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

pstef wrote:Hi. I am owner of Samsung SyncMaster 740N monitor which is able to rotate its screen so I can use 1024x1280 resolution... with xrandr -o left. However, JWM still thinks that it's 1280x1024...
I don't have a rotateable monitor either, but am curious: when you run xrandr -o left, is /etc/X11/xorg.conf modified to give

Code: Select all

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	(...some lines...)
        Option      "PreferredMode" "1024x1280"
	EndSection
and

Code: Select all

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   (some lines...)