JWM 2.0.1 Enhancements and Fixes

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
gpnet

#121 Post by gpnet »

Hi jakfish,

-update-

I checked file root/.packages/packages.txt and I found the current jwm installed on my machine :

"jwm2-2.0.1-9" "jwm2 2.0.1-9: Joes window manager" on "Desktop +fribidi 200K" \

A doubt. My current version is newer the 2.0.1. My version has a file date of 03-27-2009. Am I wrong ?.

I have downloaded the patches for fixmenus and _root_.template and installed. Now whats the next step to have transparency working ?

thanks

jakfish

#122 Post by jakfish »

gpnet, I just got to this thread myself, so I'm behind the learning curve in a big way. My post was just asking what was the best way to install the most current jwm?

Did you mistake me for an earlier post-er, perhaps?

All best,
Jake

`f00

#123 Post by `f00 »

@gpnet - welcome to Puppy and enhanced jwm :)

Unfortunately, transparency (more correct is translucency) is dependent on x or kcompmgr (and thusly needs Xorg rather than Xvesa for it to work as desired). This may change perhaps if development proceeds in not requiring x or kcompmgr for the translucency and/or pseudo-transparency effect as some other wms and apps do (notably the fluxbox and afterstep wms and wbar launcher as well as some console settings, not to mention conky and pwidgets). Pseudo-transparency is not a true translucent effect, it merely 'reveals' the background image rather than give an in-depth mix of layers. If you can change over to Xorg without too much fuss and make the changes in the files Patriot recommends (do make backups, just to be safe ;) ), then various mods are possible with the translucency effect in the /root/.jwm/themes/<themename>-jwmrc file and translucent/opaque switch will work from the rightclick dropmenu on the window titlebar or taskbar button.

Rounded corners, menu modification (with the template), button masks and other niceties will work just fine in Xvesa.

gpnet

#124 Post by gpnet »

Thanks Foo,

I have waited for a while , but finally I have had the right and clear replay.

Now I know what I can do.

I like very much puppy but my knowledge is poor. I appreciate people like you that help to understand things with no workaround words.

I tried to configured xorg but it failed. As I said I have puppy in a virtualbox (2.2) and I can not install hardware 3d acceleration because (in VB) it is supported only for kernel from 2.6.27.x on. Now I think this is the cause because puppy Xorg failed. ( to more precise after 3 o 4 minutes of config. waiting it give the only resolution of 800x600 and only one )

If you have any suggestion about let me know.

thanks

gulk

JWM transparency toggle

#125 Post by gulk »

I made a small .pet to toggle transparency after installing Patriot's jwm .pet and having followed his directions, especially this:
Patriot wrote: Q4. How does transparency/translucency works ?
A4. Two things are required: xorg driver with composite support and a
composite manager. Internally, JWM sends a window opacity property
request and the composite manager will handle the rest.

Here are the steps to enable composite (for transparency/translucency):

1. Add the Section/EndSection below to your xorg.conf (at the end of it also works)

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
The .pet here attached will add a menu entry in the jwmconfig menu (Desktop->JWM Configuration->Toggle transparency). If transparency is enabled, it will be disabled and vice versa. This will use "kcompmgr" per Partiot's recommendations.
Remember that the transparency toggle will only work if you followed step Q4-1 from Patriot's how-to.

Also, please note this is my first experiment with "bash" and "sed" ever. You can take a look at the script /usr/local/jwmconfig2/toggleTransparency.sh and I'd be glad to take any constructive criticism about my scripting skills... Thanks :oops:

~Gulk~
Attachments
JWMtransparency-0.0.1.pet
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 842 times

#126 Post by 106498 »

Hey there, there are two little things that annoy me about JWM.
  • Can't have margins (eg maximised windows leave a 1 pixel margin left and right, so you can just move the mouse to the side of the screen, and scroll to change desktop)

The Menu flickers, little glitches when you move the mouse around the menu, probably caused by an old computer. But I've always thought that if maybe the submenu's didn't pop up immediately, but after a very small time period it would improve things. It would just make it "smoother".
If anyone isn't sick of coding yet... :-)
Also, personally I prefer the old JWM square style. Not sure why. Good to see some development going on here though. (I had a look at the sourcecode but it's way over my head. So many files!
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

gulk

#127 Post by gulk »

bugman wrote:thanks for this, it's a lot of fun!

i might be missing something, but when i launch apps [such as rxvt] they always launch opaque, and i have to change them

is there a way to get any or all of them to launch transparent?

EDIT - i figured this out, one of my problems was that setting the bg in rxvt to black makes it impossible to be transparent :oops:

also, this works better:

Code: Select all

<Group>
      <Name>ROX-Filer</Name>
      <Name>rxvt</Name>
      <Option>translucent</Option>
   </Group>
This is crazy... Bugman makes it sound so easy, but I've spent the last two days trying to get the transparency working for the trays and launch some applications directly "transluent"; now I really do feel terribly dumb. I've even went ahead and rebuilt the svn456 from joe :(

How did you guys do??? Transparent tray and transparent windows at launch?

Some clues for the good souls who will guide me toward the light:
- I don't see the "transparent" option when right-clicking on a window title
- overall transparency works (see snapshot)
- I installed Patriot's jwm-2.0.1-pe-beta-2.pet and added bugman's <option>transparent</option> in the .jmwrc files

Please, please, help me!!! :)
Attachments
mushroom.jpg
(124.96 KiB) Downloaded 890 times

Patriot

#128 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

@gulk

Based on your screenshot, I believe XComposite (translucency) is already working on your system.

The next step is to check your JWM theme files (in /root/.jwm/themes). Translucency levels are controlled/specified in individual theme files, they are not globals. Look at my sample themes (ie. Cool-VG-jwmrc) and note where the Opacity token is specified. Opacity level is controlled through three main individual "groups" : WindowStyle, MenuStyle and TrayStyle.

For example, TrayStyle <Opacity> affects all of the tray/task bar. Setting it to 0.55 (ie. 55% opacity) does just that to all on the tray/taskbar. You probably will have to add the necessary changes to all the theme files (as they were originally made for standard JWM release).

The groupings by bugman is a nice example on how certain apps can be launched translucent.

Have fun.

Rgds

gulk

#129 Post by gulk »

Patriot wrote: Based on your screenshot, I believe XComposite (translucency) is already working on your system.
Correct... And that made JWM uber attractive!!! Amazingly fast with transparency, resizing from window top, etc... Many many thanks for putting all that effort in bringing JWM to this level (of course Joe is being thanked as well :))
Patriot wrote: The next step is to check your JWM theme files [...]
For example, TrayStyle <Opacity> affects all of the tray/task bar. Setting it to 0.55 (ie. 55% opacity) does just that to all on the tray/taskbar. You probably will have to add the necessary changes to all the theme files (as they were originally made for standard JWM release).
Thanks, that did the trick for the tray transparency! How could I have missed that? Well... :oops:
Patriot wrote: The groupings by bugman is a nice example on how certain apps can be launched translucent.
I put the "grouping" options in the "jwmrc-personal" file, and for the most part it works, but unfortunately not for the transluency.
For example:

<Group>
<Name>ROX-Filer</Name>
<Name>rxvt</Name>
<Option>noborder</Option>
<Option>notitle</Option>
<Option>translucent</Option>
</Group>
Both Rox filer and rxvt launch without border nor title, but start opaque (following bugman's advice, I also starts rxvt without specifying the background color, but to no avail).

I also saw mentioned in this thread that you can specify the opacity from a window menu (right click on the top window border). I don't see an opacity option. Maybe I am missing some .pet or other install which might also explain the fact the <Option>translucent</Option> does not work for me? (please see snapshot attached)
Have fun
Trust me, I do!!!!
Attachments
rxvt_snap.jpg
(24.59 KiB) Downloaded 895 times

Patriot

Enabling Winkey support

#130 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

I've read that a few people (or was it a lot of people?) wanted to have Winkey function on Puppy (for whatever reason) ... Let me point out that Winkey support must first be "enabled" in X before it makes any difference to JWM. Well, what I meant was that we need to assign the winkey as the Super key first ... Here's how :

1. Add the "XkbOptions" line to your /etx/X11/xorg.conf :

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
	Option      "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
	Option      "XkbOptions" "altwin:super_win"
EndSection
The last Option line assigns (both left+right) Winkey as the Super key.

2. Now, edit your /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal and add whatever keybinding you want :

<Key mask="C" key="Escape">root:3</Key>
<Key mask="P" key="D">desktop</Key>
<Key mask="P" key="E">exec:defaultbrowser</Key>
<Key mask="P" key="F">exec:pfind</Key>
<Key mask="P" key="L">exec:Xlock</Key>
<Key mask="P" key="R">exec:gexec</Key>
The keybindings above means:

Ctrl-Esc - Start Menu
Winkey+D - toggle desktop
Winkey+E - run default browser
Winkey+F - run pfind
Winkey+L - run Xlock
Winkey+R - run command

3. Restart JWM.

Rgds

ttuuxxx

#131 Post by ttuuxxx »

What would be nice is 24x24 icons for all the menu/sub-menus not 16x16. no detail, and looks strange to have 2 different sizes.
Next having the updated blinky I skinned as apart of JWM, same with the clock, freememory, absvolume. Because they always find a way of letting go and flying up to the left corner of the screen, Well really they are 4 main staples of JWM and should really be a part of it, not just a addon and cross your fingers and hope they stay where they should, or get multiple versions, etc. If they were embedded into the code, for once we could say Problem solved.
A right or left click on the clock so that you can change 12/24hr formats and set the time/date would be nice, would have to use a external text file to save the settings, but it would make a lot of users real happy, It doesn't bug me, but I've read that tons of times, "how do you set the clock, etc, or change the format".

Anyways you've been doing most excellent work with JWM, A few years back I really hated it, Now since GTK2 and then what you've done with the rounded corners etc, its really starting to mature very nicely.

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ecomoney

#132 Post by ecomoney »

Windows Key + E is used on windows machines to open up windows explorer (not internet explorer), so perhaps would not be so familiar to our Linux Newbies.

Heres a list of shortcut keys unfortunately still used by 9.5/10 of the worlds computer users

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

The less retraining we make for them, the more likely they are to switch though :)
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

sikpuppy

#133 Post by sikpuppy »

Who uses the keys? All the people I have had, and will have had, as clients use the mouse.

Nobody uses the function keys. Except nerds.

And they can make their own way home as far as Puppy is concerned.
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

Patriot

#134 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm ...

@ttuuxxx

After so long you still believe that JWM is directly responsible for those "tiny" menu icons ? All submenus are given (read: hardcoded) a fixed 16pix height during conversion to jwm menus from xdgmenu. (How do you fit a 24x24 icon onto a 16x16 canvas ?) So, you see, JWM can only work with what it is given with ....

The modified xdgmenu binary on page 8 of this thread is a remedy to the above and all you have to do is specify a menu height higher than 24 to see what I mean .....

"A computer only does what you tell it to do ..... not what you want it to do" - Anonymous Programmer et al

Those applet issues are the result of patch-n-play. I don't believe that direct inclusions of applets into the JWM binary should be done. It will/may add unnecessary dependencies. I know that the volume applet is stable. A major rewrite of the required applets based on the volume applet would be best. I'll see how to improve it later ...

I still have a few more stuffs that I wanted to implement into JWM ... just that the current time constraint makes it difficult to focus ...

@ecomoney
Please don't start here. I have no time for this. Look at my first page (of this thread) and read the last section :

What this JWM minor enhancement is not :
- It does not attempt to please everyone

I'm a windows user and still is. I'm also a linux user and still is. I use the best of both. For a long time, I no longer care about the linux-vs-windows-crusade nor interested with MS or Linux bashing.

@sikpuppy

Well then, that makes me a nerd .... since I use function keys.

A nerd who's lame with C, I guess ....

Rgds

big_bass

#135 Post by big_bass »

remarks like this quote below and other over burdening comments are not helping developers/development/linux at all

what does help is a thank you
or add a fix to some problem

here's a mental picture you build my house
I sit back and watch sipping ice tea

then make comments that your not working hard enough :lol:

yeah that's how I see it

sikpuppy
Who uses the keys? All the people I have had, and will have had, as clients use the mouse.

Nobody uses the function keys. Except nerds.

And they can make their own way home as far as Puppy is concerned.
here are details that have been overlooked
well ....Patriot was responding to a direct request from a forum member
reasonit in the link provided below as a reference

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 888#316888
reasonit

Posted: Sat 25 Apr 2009, 02:54 Post subject: few niggly wiggly bits
Subject description: tiny tiny things(from windows) that I miss in puppy

4. Independent hotkeys: hotkeys are window manager specific.
It would be fantastic to have window manager/desktop environments independent hotkeys. Maybe some app that runs in the background.
I understand how linux works , and know why this isn't easy to implement. Which is why my suggestion : possible to add a windows style default-gui-desktop-thingy 'inside' puppy, that works with all window managers??

5. I really really miss the run command from windows - win+r. There has to a puppy equivalent.

so he responded to that request and posted the answer here
in the correct thread

my question is if you don't like "nerds"
why do you post in development/developer threads?

Joe
Last edited by big_bass on Thu 18 Jun 2009, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

#136 Post by ttuuxxx »

Ya well I might of been somewhat a ladies man back in my day, lol With a nice rugged exterior, lol But I was a always party-animal/womanizer/prep/NERD@heart, lol lol lol
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

sikpuppy

#137 Post by sikpuppy »

big_bass wrote: my question is if you don't like "nerds"
why do you post in development/developer threads?

Joe
Whoa ease up turbo! I should maybe have been more literal.

The average user uses the mouse and doesn't use the keyboard. Basically as long as the mouse can do everythng then they are happy.

The average programmer/developer/whatever will use the keyboard far more efficiently. However, my point was that they would be able to customise puppy themselves to suit this.

I post in threads here because I sometimes have something to say. I don't guarentee that you or anyone else will like it, I most certainly wouldn't use that as a basis for or against posting.
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

steve_s

#138 Post by steve_s »

I haven't read the whole 10 pages, so forgive me if my post is out of place and not going with the flow of the thread, whatever that is...

...but I just wanted to tell Patriot: thank you very much and this look really great! 8)

big_bass

#139 Post by big_bass »

sikpuppy wrote:
big_bass wrote:

Whoa ease up turbo! I should maybe have been more literal.

The average user uses the mouse and doesn't use the keyboard. Basically as long as the mouse can do everything then they are happy.
hey sikpuppy
just a misunderstanding it looked like Patriot was taking heat for helping out from a few people
note: shortly after one of our members quit

differences of opinion don't bother me I actually like to hear things from another view point

thanks for clearing up things that's cool 8)

Joe

joel

JWM and Transparency acting loopy.

#140 Post by joel »

Excuse me for asking if its been asked already, but I noticed an issue. When I enable transparency, the menus don't go transparent. Unless, I enable the CoolVG JWM theme. After I enable that one and restart JWM only, I then can pick any other JWM theme (or a gtk then applied to JWM) and it will apply with transparency. However, if I restart X transparency goes away and the menus are back to solid color. This only affects the menus. The windows will stay transparent no matter what JWM or GTK them I use. If I just enable the CoolVG theme and leave it on and then restart X it boots up transparent. Any ideas? I don't see why CoolVG is unique that it enables the effect, and all others don't. Especially, when if I enable CoolVG first they will work for the session. Please help!!!!
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea: