Unnamed puplet 1.1 (puppy411 kernel-2.6.28.5 Xorg-7.4 LXDE)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
techtype

Re: oh my . . .

#31 Post by techtype »

wow wrote:Seems that I'll need to make a service pack or something like that. Perhaps another ISO.

@techtype: Have you tried to reformat that swap patition? (gparted, or mkswap /dev/<device node>)
I was using frugal installs of several pups selected thru grub.
All were able to use the same swap partition except yours. Nevertheless, I remade the swap partition using different tools, locations and sizes with the same result.

sue

xvesa works; xorg fails

#32 Post by sue »

From Puppy 3 xorgwizard-errors.log:
FATAL: Module evdev not found.
Intel chipset detected. However, 915resolution was unable to determine the chipset type.
Chipset Id: 2a408086

The generated xorg.conf uses vesa. Rebooting to test under 1.1 with Driver "intel".
Puppy: Because I want speed!

Jota

Old kernel are better??

#33 Post by Jota »

wow...

Maybe it will help you to know that I've replace your kernel with the retro kernel 2.6.21 from BK retro puppy 4.12, and EVERYTHING works ok and very fast, including loading the swap file, I'm able to suspend my laptop with just 'echo -n mem > /sys/power/state', etc, etc.

(of course I use 4.12 vmlinuz and initrd.gz, everything else is from your puppy)

But I have one question... I think that I don't need two file managers, I think right now ROX is a better choice, so what files do I need to delete to get rid of pcmanfm??

Thank you,
Jorge

Jota

Old kernel are better??

#34 Post by Jota »

wow...

Maybe it will help you to know that I've replace your kernel with the retro kernel 2.6.21 from BK retro puppy 4.12, and EVERYTHING works ok and very fast, including loading the swap file, I'm able to suspend my laptop with just 'echo -n mem > /sys/power/state', etc, etc.

(of course I use 4.12 vmlinuz and initrd.gz, everything else is from your puppy)

But I have one question... I think that I don't need two file managers, I think right now ROX is a better choice, so what files do I need to delete to get rid of pcmanfm??

Thank you,
Jorge

dinky

#35 Post by dinky »

Really impressive! I'd no idea you could do so much with lxde. It is starting to become a new favourite for a windows manager. I'm left feeling inspired and a bit awed... the amount of time you've taken to do this must be phenomenal... it makes my humble efforts at Ripple... well... humble...lol.

Anyway, will be playing around with it on my eeepc tonight. 2 thoughts that could make it more fantastic:

1. The link to My Documents on the desktop should go to /root/my-documents, not /root. It's slightly less confusing, as the ordinary user (talking non technical now) won't get all the other folders in root, and unless they're clear what they are for probably shouldn't be playing around with them anyway. Under /root/my-documents you could have other more usual folders to find... pictures, videos, etc.

2. Make it easier to find packages. This could be working towards an eventual build from Barry's woof, if you wanted to go that far, or simple easy places to find more packages, without having to search the forums. This could even be a link in the system to a site where you can download what's listed on the forums. Even better would be eventual compatibility with another distro that already has large software repositories, but this might take more thought. I think you're on the right track, with this pupplet already becoming a favourtie. Probably more a question of what you could be bothered changing to make it easy for others, and how much you will just use this yourself. Anyway, keep up the great work, it's inspiring.

~dinky

Barburo

Re: Old kernel are better??

#36 Post by Barburo »

@Jota
Jota wrote:wow...

I sometimes have trouble with the new kernels but retro works perfectly for me. Can you say exactly how you "replaced" the kernel. Is it as simple as just replacing the vmlinuz and initrd.gz files with those from retro puppy 4.12?
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

dinky

#37 Post by dinky »

More feedback:

Haven't been able to get compiz-fusion working. Downloaded needed pet and sfs file... only manage to get a white screen. Tried various options... what needs to happen wow? I like the idea of the compiz icon appearing onto the desktop, but don't understand what else needs to happen. Your post on compiz-fusion says there are other dependencies needed, where do we get them from? Also seems like this recurring white screen is a bit of an issue... needs to be simple. Have you looked at tombh's script in ripple or wNOP? Something like that would make it easy for people. It's the compizwizard script in /usr/sbin (I think, there or thereabouts)

- mouse scroll doesn't work
- mouse pad tap doesn't work without hacking the xorg.conf. This has always irritated me in puppy... for Ripple I've been hacking the xorgwizard to set maxtaptime to 220 by default, not to 0.
- tested on the eeepc701, initial shutdown sometimes hangs before a save file is created. Needed to kill X, then type poweroff to get the prompt for the save file. Problem with this in Ripple to, needs a hack for the shutdown script, not sure what the problem is.
- conky doesn't show up on the eeepc701's screen, though I'm assuming it's running. I don't like conky much, so don't mind (much prefer Cairo Dock's hidden widgets, though that only will work with compositing. Surely that could be gotten going under the xcompmgr, though you may not like it)

Cheers.

~dinky

wow

#38 Post by wow »

@Jota:
  • Jota wrote:But I have one question... I think that I don't need two file managers, I think right now ROX is a better choice, so what files do I need to delete to get rid of pcmanfm??
    Ok, remove these files:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/pcmanfm
    /usr/share/applications/pcmanfm.desktop
    /usr/share/applications/pcmanfm-find.desktop
    /usr/share/applications/pcmanfm-folder-handler.desktop
    /usr/share/pcmanfm/icons/file.png
    /usr/share/pcmanfm/icons/folder.png
    /usr/share/pcmanfm/mount.rules
    /usr/share/pixmaps/pcmanfm.png
    /usr/share/pcmanfm/ui/prefdlg.glade
    /usr/share/pcmanfm/ui/appchooserdlg.glade
    /usr/share/pcmanfm/ui/file_properties.glade
    /usr/share/pcmanfm/ui/about-dlg.glade
    /usr/share/pcmanfm/ui/find-files.glade
    Or just disable "Manage Desktop" in PCManFM preferences, enable ROX's Pinboard in LXSessionEdit and restart X.
@Dinky:
  • Haven't been able to get compiz-fusion working
    Run glxinfo to make sure that you have Hardware acceleration, type something like this in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    I broke DRI in the ISO, please read this to fix it: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 939#282939
    If you need more input drivers for X download this SFS:
    [Xorg-7.4-video-input-apps-i686-wow-patched_411.sfs] (User: "puppy"; Password: "linux")

About mouse scroll, try to change mouse protocol in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Option "Protocol" "string"
    Specify the mouse protocol. Valid protocol types include:

Auto, Microsoft, MouseSystems, MMSeries, Logitech, MouseMan, MMHitTab, GlidePoint, IntelliMouse, ThinkingMouse, ValuMouseScroll, AceCad, PS/2, ImPS/2, ExplorerPS/2, ThinkingMousePS/2, MouseManPlusPS/2, GlidePointPS/2, NetMousePS/2, NetScrollPS/2, BusMouse, SysMouse, WSMouse, USB, Xqueue.
    More info: http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R6.9.0/doc/html/mouse4.html
    initial shutdown sometimes hangs before a save file is created. Needed to kill X, then type poweroff to get the prompt for the save file
    MU has a workaround for this in his NYP, there's a dialog asking to create a pup_save file and reboot, before start X.
    conky doesn't show up on the eeepc701's screen, though I'm assuming it's running. I don't like conky much, so don't mind (much prefer Cairo Dock's hidden widgets, though that only will work with compositing. Surely that could be gotten going under the xcompmgr, though you may not like it)
    Yes, CairoDock works under xcompmgr. I like it, but I don't needed in the main sfs (pup_411.sfs) I prefer screenlets though...
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

wow

Addon

#39 Post by wow »

SFS addon: The complete set of DRI drivers, MesaLib-7.3 and MesaGLUT-7.3

Download:
BUGFIX: enable DRI
delete:
/lib/modules/2.6.28.5/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko
And rename
/lib/modules/2.6.28.5/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.bak
to
/lib/modules/2.6.28.5/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko

Then restart X or better reboot.

wow

#40 Post by wow »

VirtualBox kernel modules for linux-2.6.28.5

Install the .pet package attached below if you want to use my VirtuarBox SFS in this puplet.

Download VirtualBox-2.1.0.sfs [here] [browse]

ID: puppy
Password: linux
Attachments
VirtualBox-2.1.0-k2.6.28.5.pet
VirtualBox kernel modules for linux-2.6.28.5
(79.63 KiB) Downloaded 698 times
Last edited by wow on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

wow

#41 Post by wow »

Package database (unnamed puplet 1.1)
Usefull to developers and people who wants to remove apps or libs included in this puplet (petget/new2dir format). It only has file lists for new packages in up-1.1
Attachments
unnamedpuplet-pkg-db-1.1.tar.bz2
Package database
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 642 times

playdayz

#42 Post by playdayz »

Kernel 2.6.28.5 - Check
SMP kernel - Check
Conky catches all 4 cores - Check
Detects ati radeon 3850 and installs xorg radeon driver - Check
xorg radeon driver works correctly - Check
DRI enabled - Check
composite works correctly - Check

AFAIK this is the only puplet to get all checks

I am using Patriots enhanced jwm with xcompmgr/kcompmgr
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39162

wow

#43 Post by wow »

It's good to know that my script to add cpu usage for every core works even for 4 cores. Thanks for your support.

playdayz

#44 Post by playdayz »

hey Wow, It seems almost ungrateful to point out a tiny glitch, when everything that really matters is working so well, but just in case you have some free time the bar for core 4 seems abbreviated somehow. It works inside the bar, that is, if it says 33% then 33% of the tiny bar is filled. You mentioned that you had written a script to get the 4 cores so I thought you might want to see this.

divisionmd

#45 Post by divisionmd »

Hello all,

- I tried an installation to harddisk and noticed that the system is in readonly mode.

At bootup i get this:

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line30: /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE: Read-only filesystem

- Any change i do when i have logged in - changed the background picture or anything else for example is lost after i reboot.

- Can i change this to write mode ?
:?:

Best regards,
Johan

MU

#46 Post by MU »

Johan,
please attach your Grub config file, it is called "menu.lst".
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

divisionmd

menu.lst

#47 Post by divisionmd »

Hello Mark,

Here is menu.lst file:

# GRUB configuration file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# generated by 'grubconfig'. Thu Mar 26 13:14:15 2009
#
# The backup copy of the MBR for drive '/dev/sda' is
# here '/boot/grub/mbr.sda.9494'. You can restore it like this.
# dd if=/boot/grub/mbr.sda.9494 of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
#
# Start GRUB global section
#timeout 30
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# End GRUB global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Linux (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends
title Linux (on /dev/sda2)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro vga=normal
title Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
pause Insert a formatted floppy disk and press enter.
root (hd0,0)
setup (fd0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0,0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title - For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
root (hd0)
title - For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt'
root (hd0)

Best regards,
Johan

techtype

Re: menu.lst

#48 Post by techtype »

divisionmd wrote:Hello Mark,

Here is menu.lst file:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal
title Linux (on /dev/sda2)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro vga=normal

Best regards,
Johan

Take out the "ro" ------ read only

divisionmd

#49 Post by divisionmd »

thanks alot!

Best regards,
Johan

divisionmd

#50 Post by divisionmd »

Hello,

- I made that chaneg to the menu.lst file however it is still in read only mode.

Getting this when booting:

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line30: /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE: Read-only filesystem

- It must be something with that above? that is causing the system to boot in readonly mode.

Thanks for help,

Best regards,
Johan