Is Puppy Green?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Pizzasgood

#91 Post by Pizzasgood »

Mostly Arthur C. Clark lately. Though, I was recently tricked into reading a boring love story (you know the type - couple breaks up, sees other people, attempts to get back together but hate eachother, then get back together anyway and live happily ever after...) because it was titled "Lightyears" so I thought it was a sci-fi. I quickly realized the truth, but I hate quitting a book once I've started so I had to finish it... But the Clark books are all great.

But that's not related to my rant. I read what you said, which I quoted. I was annoyed at people using (for nefarious purposes) my habit of misusing tech words and acronyms for other things, or as expletives. And I was tired and bored and overworked, so ranting and raving a little made me feel better. :)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

aarf

#92 Post by aarf »

Aitch wrote:Phys.org appears to be a parked page, however, engadget....

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/25/somn ... lk-essent/

PG, what have you been reading?? :lol: :lol:

Aitch :)
thanks Aitch.
added/fixed the link to the copy /quote from ecogeek.

ecomoney

#93 Post by ecomoney »

@ Pizzasgood

I find those types of books very good research reading into mankinds greatest mystery...womenkind ;-)

@ All

So....are we decided? Puppy is definitely "Green"?

If thats the case...we elligeable for quite a bit of funding to get some professional programmers/project managers in.

Comeon guys/girls....weve got the world to save.

Woof Woof
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

aarf

#94 Post by aarf »

ecomoney wrote:@ Pizzasgood

I find those types of books very good research reading into mankinds greatest mystery...womenkind ;-)

@ All

If thats the case...we elligeable for quite a bit of funding to get some professional programmers/project managers in.

Comeon guys/girls....weve got the world to save.

Woof Woof
hey i am quitehappy to step aside and let you do the searching, proposals and leg work for all the funding, i am generous like that. send me a PM when get to the stage where you need a bank account number to hold the funds :)

hillside

#95 Post by hillside »

Wait a minute. Do you mean actually green or politically green? I'm afraid there's a difference.

Actually green: everyone should adopt it
Politically green: government will promote it

I expect Puppy is both. But then, I'm biased.

ecomoney

#96 Post by ecomoney »

Us British, having seen your revolution, are constantly amazed by the faith you Americans have in your "goverment". We learnt from that mistake as well when you guys broke away :)

If you have an Environmental concern, you should get others to adopt it. Puppy Linux is a "green" technology, and also a example of how other future technology can be made "green" too.

It naturally surpasses single direction technology, who's centralized message promotes the cause of its sponsors....to promote consumption of natural resources via their limited-lifespan products. Puppy spreads knowledge not widely available through single-direction media.

Look at that fellow Al Gore. Hes a politician who is aware of politics works with no reason now to deceive anyone. Watch his film "An inconvenient Truth".

@ Hillside
Puppy is actually politically green, and we shouldnt rely on those who govern to support it.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Aitch

#97 Post by Aitch »

Rob

Perhaps an email to Greenpeace/FOE suggesting they support Puppy for XXX reasons, including recycling :D

I, too have thought about funding/support, but 'got my fingers burnt' doing the M11 campaign
I find involvement with 'officialdom', sadly requires them to monopolise your headspace, timescales & agenda!!

Once Open Source has more impact, they may see the light

ecomoney

#98 Post by ecomoney »

Yes, I started my "social enterprise" (I have to be VERY careful people understand Im not like Bill Gates), a got grant funding. Yes they do want headspace, forms filling, "proof of delivered objectives" etc), the trick would be to approach an organisation who's goals match those of Puppy Linux's Effects. Im not sure those of Greenpeace are a very good fit....maybe Norton or Symantic ;-)

The problem with money is that, if there is no "profit", then there is no "investment".

The thing is, puppies benefit is to the people that use it.....perhaps something should be put into puppy itself, like a link in the web browser to donate to a "puppy linux charity". This would be able to support valuable contributors (Like MU) to allow them to work on puppy full time. To think he was nearly going to have to go work for a bank!

How/If this ever came about, it would have to be very well discussed, and open and transparent. This is perhaps a topic for another thread.

"Should Puppy Learn to Beg"

Now THAT should be a contentious topic.

tronkel

#99 Post by tronkel »

ecomoney wrote:
I have to be VERY careful people understand Im not like Bill Gates
LOL that's a good one. Can you be serious? There is no need to be "VERY careful" at all!

Trust me - there is absolutely no way that anyone could possibly confuse you with Bill Gates! Image
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

aarf

#100 Post by aarf »

The key trick to dealing with govt departments is to do a freedom of information request for their decision guidelines BEFORE you start on your proposal.

ecomoney

#101 Post by ecomoney »

Thank you for the compliment Tronkel

I have been accused of trying to modify puppy just so I can make money with it. Just because its free shouldnt mean its not worth anything!

Perhaps a new thread on this topic? I shouldnt be the one to start it though 8)

thane

#102 Post by thane »

"Is Puppy Green?"

Yes! According to the website below, 75% of a computer's fossil fuel usage occurs during manufacture; only 25% during its working life (the link doesn't address disposal). So extending the life of a computer (reducing demand for a new one) is the most important "green" computer thing you can do. This holds even if an old computer running Puppy uses more energy than a new one running Windows does.

http://www.ecopcreview.com/LCA_and_ECPR?page=0%2C1

Aitch

#103 Post by Aitch »

& Greenpeace [quoting nicely out of date reference!]

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/toxic ... ws20071204
Yes, a UK government study in late 2004 reported that there were substantial green benefits to running a Linux open source operating system (OS) on computers instead of the ubiquitous Windows OS, owned by Microsoft. The main problem with Windows users was that they had to change their computer twice as many times as Linux users, as successive Windows OS upgrades demanded more hard drive space and faster processing speeds. On average, the study concluded, Windows effectively created twice as much computer-generated e-waste as Linux.

The report, titled Office of Government Commerce: Open Source Software Trials in Government - Final Report said that:

"There are also potential Green Agenda benefits, through reducing the energy and resources consumed in manufacturing replacement equipment, and reducing landfill requirements and costs arising from disposal of redundant equipment.

"Industry observers quote a typical hardware refresh period for Microsoft Windows systems as 3-4 years; a major UK manufacturing organisation quotes its hardware refresh period for Linux systems as 6-8 years."

Overall the report concluded that:

"Open Source software is a viable and credible alternative to proprietary software for infrastructure implementations, and for meeting the requirements of the majority of desktop users."

Something to bear in mind next time Microsoft tries to bully you into upgrading to yet another 'latest version' of its OS, I reckon.
Nice turn of phrase, repeated for effect...."Microsoft tries to bully you into upgrading to yet another 'latest version' of its OS" :wink:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#104 Post by Lobster »

. . . and I still await disposable hemp clothes as a mainstream item (rather than fashion)

It isn't here yet
but bio-degradable tablets (I think the laptop has had its day)
will certainly be fun.
http://www.good.is/post/recyclable-paper-laptop/

roll on nano technology
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Aitch

#105 Post by Aitch »

Perhaps if we post a request for bio-technologists reading this, to make a plastic/laptop eating nanobug? :lol:

A few [or more] years ago I could've supplied the fibre for your hemp clothing....but I'm not cultivating any more :wink:

TomRhymer

Puppy Green?

#106 Post by TomRhymer »

I don't if it can be considered green, it does allow old computers to stay useful but I wish it had better power management.

On my netbook, I get 5 to 10 hours battery life in WinXP depending on useage. Since I'm usually just reading text or browsing, I get 8 to 10 hours normally. In Puppy, I get 5 hours no matter what. I've tried the CPU scaler, but it doesn't seem to change anything with an Atom processor.

Aitch

#107 Post by Aitch »

Hi

It won't - CPU scaler is for Intel chips AFAIK

TomRhymer

#108 Post by TomRhymer »

Aitch wrote:Hi

It won't - CPU scaler is for Intel chips AFAIK

The Atom IS an Intel chip.

Aitch

#109 Post by Aitch »

my bad, intended to say pentium, however.......
search here:

cpufreq: /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq
governors: /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/cpufreq

aragon
something to do with ondemand vs performance setting, AFAICS

see here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28443