Puppy 4.2 RC1 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

Re: Frickin' Frackin' ....

#406 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:
WhoDo wrote: We may end up with Lobster Thermidore as a result, but them's the breaks. :wink:
I prefer mud crab! :lol:
Spoken like a true banana-bender! :roll: :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

ttuuxxx

#407 Post by ttuuxxx »

Yes I'm sure I'm using 4.2 rc1, but hey if 4.2rc2 is missing the shortcut thats all that matters :) Man I'm tired must of been the 2 hours of ice-skating, nice arena next to HillSong Church about 10 mins from my house, handy location, only fell once trying to chase my wife while holding my daughters hand, we both landed on our butts, lol it was fun.
ttuuxxx
Ps hey WhoDo if you can think of anything I forgot for this release just let me know :)
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

WhoDo

#408 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Man I'm tired must of been the 2 hours of ice-skating, nice arena next to HillSong Church about 10 mins from my house
Ah, the delightful Hill's district (Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills, etc for those not in the know). I have a close friend who frequently attends functions at Hillsong after travelling down from Newcastle. Man that's a big church! 8) My mother and father are resting not very far from there, too!

I'm uploading now, ttuuxxx, so get some sleep and prepare for the onslaught tomorrow as new downloaders work out what we've both forgotten! :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

01micko

#409 Post by 01micko »

Canterbury was a good rink in it's day.. does it still exist? One thing though, my CB radio was stolen out of my car from there! :cry:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mikeb

#410 Post by mikeb »

When I killed the instances of conky (calendar etc) the cpu fell from 8-10% to 2-4 % in htop...is this normal? (1.2 ghz notepad)
At least the clock moves lol

mike

brymway

#411 Post by brymway »

01micko wrote:

PostPosted: Today, at 02:38 Post subject:
After much banging of my head I finally figured out what is wrong with wireless for the rtl8187 driver.

Now, the r8187 driver loads by default with my netgear WG111V2 in puppy4.2. This is not compiled into the kernel in 4.1.2 but later added as a pet. It shows up in the Network wizard as RTL8187. Confused? I was. Did an lsmod and it shows up as r8187. Tried ndiswrapper, no go, but I try to avoid using it anyway.

I blacklisted the r8187 and went through the driver list and lo and behold there is the old rtl8187 driver. Now that one works! Just didn't think to look. Just don't know why the newer driver gets loaded for my hardware.

Anyway, that is another issue off the list WhoDo!

Cheers
Taking this information I went into /lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/drivers/net/wireless and renamed the
r8180 folder--!!!r8180, saved and rebooted and my wireless now works. I am typing this in your RC1 that I previously couldn't. When the computer booted back up, I went into Pwireless, saw my network, connected, and it works fine now. Thanks 01micko!

Hope this helps everybody else.
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

brymway

#412 Post by brymway »

By the way, I had problems with my ipw2200 driver. The above answer fixed that problem.
[url]http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html[/url]

tasmod

#413 Post by tasmod »

MikeB,

Each widget has a small overhead when loaded, added together they are about 10% in worst case.
It depends what is loaded in, it's the 'timings' that add overhead.

Weather, Mail access internet for information at regular intervals. Some others use 'timing cycles' , they vary in load.
Instant update, real time widgets are 'on' all the time, cpu, anything with 'bars' etc.

Rob.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

mikeb

#414 Post by mikeb »

Well the conky ones were definately taking the lions share...just thought it was a bit strange for a static display to use so much...more than the clock, hard ware daemons/cups/udev/window manager etc put together

mike

mawebb88

Playlists

#415 Post by mawebb88 »

Just what I need. Hope it will work from my Samba mounted LAN disk (gxine works for me in 4.1.2 in the senario). Mike
ttuuxxx wrote:updated packages for
- Updated alsa player with 3 mimes now it can play playlist just by clicking on them :)
ttuuxxx

gerry

#416 Post by gerry »

My printer is usually connected to a windows machine. so I tried to set it up today. Failure.

Cups gives me an error message to the effect that there is something wrong with the smb.conf file- run Parmtest to find out what.

Can we do that in Puppy?

Once again, it all works ok with earlier Puppies- is it cups 1.4 again?

The smb.conf file is the same one that's in all Puppies- properties shows it was last changed 4 or 5 years ago.

Gerry

WhoDo

#417 Post by WhoDo »

gerry wrote:My printer is usually connected to a windows machine. so I tried to set it up today. Failure.

Cups gives me an error message to the effect that there is something wrong with the smb.conf file
Gerry, please repost your problem in the RC2 Bugs & Fixes thread where you are more likely to get one of the devs to follow up on your problem. They MAY see it here, but they probably WILL see it there first.

Cheers

dogone

moved to Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

#418 Post by dogone »

Sorry, mis-post. Please see Puppy 4.2 RC2 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes
(this post may be deleted)

jabu2

ipw 2200 problem not quite fixed

#419 Post by jabu2 »

wireless ipw 2200 recognition problem reported by several (minnesota, brymway etc):
omicko1 has now given a solution
I went into /lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/drivers/net/wireless and renamed the r8180 folder--!!!r8180, saved and rebooted and my wireless now works.

Apparently this works - being confirmed by one other so far
But for new or old users it is not a full fix yet.

can we please fix it for rc2 so that no file hacking is required?

Many thanks in anticipation of wirelessly testing rc2

PS Nice to hear all the young 'uns life stories - haven't needed the TV all week. :D