Puppy 4.2 RC1 Deep Thought - Bugs & Fixes

WhoDo

#391 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:Take a look there, dump some of the ones you have and use these tiny dots the guys have been working on.... do want a .pet?
ttuuxxx wrote:WhoDo the tiny background images we've been working on are pretty good:) I made a couple also Smile
Guys, guys! Take another look at my post ... I already gottem! :roll: :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

01micko

#392 Post by 01micko »

Ok 10 wallpapers at 1.1k compressed.
Attachments
coolwallpaper.pet
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 1366 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

WhoDo

#393 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Oh ya whodo I've asked you for every release almost to change the puppy from dotpup to petget so we get rid of the shortcut icon on the image on the desktop, wonder if you'll get it this tie round??? hmmmmmmmmmm
Oh, ha ha! :roll: :lol: Are you sure you really looked at RC1? Try clean booting it and you might get a surprise. That shortcut arrow is gone! It will surely be gone for RC2 as well! :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

`f00

#394 Post by `f00 »

@WhoDo
Yes - definitely there is/was a script that scales 48's down (or actually does math on the xy values if I recall correct) in conjunction with the icon switcher for icon themes -it must be a call to that script? .. anyhow the name comes up in /tmp/xerrslog if the script has difficulty. I think I forced it into revealing by making a full set of both the 48s and 24s in a custom icon theme and when the icon switcher was used it revealed as error mssgs in xerrslog with the name of that math script. Only saw it a few times and the name and/or path of it .. escapes me (and looking thru my notes .. not ref'd there, either). Zigbert would know more as this was one of those branch points when a hard separation was made for specific 24s for the first level of the mainmenu, rather than use the math reduction on 48s - the script may still be there as a remnant - although I haven't noticed its action recently. It used to drive me crazy when I used actual-sized 32s by renaming them to *48.png and then the 'made' *24.png were actually 16s and looked pretty bad on the mainmenu 1st level 'til I fixed them by hand (so it got to be a habit not to use the icon switcher after they were set (and mostly I only used it to get the drive icons the way I wanted since they're kind of a special case of change-state icons like trash and perhaps connect and lock). The icon switcher seems to have a more profound effect than simply changing one theme set for another (interaction with .DirIcon changed-state special cases like pup_event, trash & etc .. actually that's what my own custom 'theme' set is, the 15 drive icons (5 types, 3 states each) .. the rest I simply change out in pixmaps as desired and leave it as finished rather than use the switcher. When I really gave up switching was when the themes became not truly swappable (different names, etc) .. and much like a browser skin that's missing some icons for buttons to new functions (or functions that get redefined or :?: ) It can get crazy if default* items are named as specific apps and vice-versa - text48.png gets confused with the geany and leaf on some contexts, but that's minor.

Will see if I can find the reference for that 'scaler/maker-of-24s' that gets called by the icon switcher next time I'm in pup .. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, who needs all that mess on the desktop anyhow!

Only wallpaper I really like for show is that one Zig's buddy Raymond Levang did 'way back when . . .

pa_mcclamrock

#395 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

WhoDo wrote:I still have no idea how big RemaX is going to be [ . . . ]
About 26 KB compressed. Is it going to appear in at least one RC, so somebody besides you and me can see if it has any bugs?
Any ideas for further cuts in size?
Did you dump pplog and hiawatha yet?
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

01micko

Re: Frickin' Frackin' ....

#396 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo wrote:After hours upon hours of fiddling to synchronise 4 separate desktop icon themes for Puppy-4.2 (Deep Thought, Original, Stardust & JQ8FlatLite), I've discovered the reason why (if not the How) the menu icons get screwed up when you switch themes and don't get fixed when you switch back. It's the /usr/sbin/icon_switcher app itself.[snip]
Cheers.
If you haven't uploaded yet, IMO dump original. 3 icon themes is enough and if you must dump one, that is it.

01micko

#397 Post by 01micko »

pa_mcclamrock wrote: About 26 KB compressed.
I'd say that's a rabbit.......!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#398 Post by Béèm »

WhoDo wrote:
01micko wrote:Anyway, that is another issue off the list WhoDo!
WooHoo! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wonder if there is a similar story behind the ipw2200 driver? It may be that the wireless networking is fine and its just a set of configuration hurdles that need to be documented properly or something. 8)
In the beginning of the 4.xx series I had the ipw2200 loaded instead of the ipw2100 one. Had to load the ipw2100 by hand until Dougal found a solution. Maybe something alike now?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#399 Post by Béèm »

Whodo wrote:Are you sure you really looked at RC1?
Is there some variable/file which can be looked upon to know which 'version' is booted from?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

ttuuxxx

#400 Post by ttuuxxx »

Hey guys oh ya, I tried to load a movie using 4.2rc1 on my multimedia pc to watch on the tv, and once again couldn't get the audio to work out of the box, I did mention this before with a earlier 4.2 alpha, it used to work with 4.1, and I found a 3.0.2 alpha 6 and tried that and it worked straight away. Is there any command I could type in 3.0.2 to find out which audio driver its using by default ? Audio drivers aren't my strong points :shock:
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

WhoDo

#401 Post by WhoDo »

pa_mcclamrock wrote:
WhoDo wrote:I still have no idea how big RemaX is going to be [ . . . ]
About 26 KB compressed. Is it going to appear in at least one RC, so somebody besides you and me can see if it has any bugs?
At least one. :P 26kb? I can find room for that, no problems! :shock:
pa_mcclamrock wrote:
Any ideas for further cuts in size?
Did you dump pplog and hiawatha yet?
Yep. If we can't make them work by now then they're not going to be in the mix for Final. Sad, too, because we don't gain that much by losing them. :(

01micko

#402 Post by 01micko »

ttuuxxx

Code: Select all

alsaconf
that might do it

WhoDo

#403 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:If you haven't uploaded yet, IMO dump original. 3 icon themes is enough and if you must dump one, that is it.
Way ahead of ya, mate! It's already gone. :idea: We may end up with Lobster Thermidore as a result, but them's the breaks. :wink:

01micko

#404 Post by 01micko »

WhoDo wrote: We may end up with Lobster Thermidore as a result, but them's the breaks. :wink:
I prefer mud crab! :lol:

WhoDo

#405 Post by WhoDo »

Béèm wrote:
Whodo wrote:Are you sure you really looked at RC1?
Is there some variable/file which can be looked upon to know which 'version' is booted from?
Nope. Only the numbers on the original ISO, or the content of boot.msg inside the iso (it will say only "4.2" with no beta after). PuppyVersion only says "420" for all of the Alpha's, Beta's and RC's. That's why I asked if ttuuxxx was "sure" he was looking at RC1 and not one of the Beta's.

Of course he may be right and I may be wrong. I may have forgotten to make the change in RC1, but it certainly is made in RC2 which is uploading to the mirrors at the moment. I was pretty sure that RC1 already carried the change, however.

WhoDo

#406 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:
WhoDo wrote: We may end up with Lobster Thermidore as a result, but them's the breaks. :wink:
I prefer mud crab! :lol:
Spoken like a true banana-bender! :roll: :lol:

ttuuxxx

#407 Post by ttuuxxx »

Yes I'm sure I'm using 4.2 rc1, but hey if 4.2rc2 is missing the shortcut thats all that matters :) Man I'm tired must of been the 2 hours of ice-skating, nice arena next to HillSong Church about 10 mins from my house, handy location, only fell once trying to chase my wife while holding my daughters hand, we both landed on our butts, lol it was fun.
ttuuxxx
Ps hey WhoDo if you can think of anything I forgot for this release just let me know :)
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

WhoDo

#408 Post by WhoDo »

ttuuxxx wrote:Man I'm tired must of been the 2 hours of ice-skating, nice arena next to HillSong Church about 10 mins from my house
Ah, the delightful Hill's district (Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills, etc for those not in the know). I have a close friend who frequently attends functions at Hillsong after travelling down from Newcastle. Man that's a big church! 8) My mother and father are resting not very far from there, too!

I'm uploading now, ttuuxxx, so get some sleep and prepare for the onslaught tomorrow as new downloaders work out what we've both forgotten! :P

01micko

#409 Post by 01micko »

Canterbury was a good rink in it's day.. does it still exist? One thing though, my CB radio was stolen out of my car from there! :cry:

mikeb

#410 Post by mikeb »

When I killed the instances of conky (calendar etc) the cpu fell from 8-10% to 2-4 % in htop...is this normal? (1.2 ghz notepad)
At least the clock moves lol

mike