Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 21:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse Pup 4.4.2 Final SMP 194M
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 23 [345 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb 2009, 20:31    Post subject:  

Thanks for the advice and the good wishes. I'm guessing it's a CPU problem as it's mostly happened when the CPU is working hard, but it could be the power supply instead. It's been up for just over an hour now with no problems, so I don't want to tempt fate by dwelling on it...

I almost certainly will give Lighthouse another go soon, using your tip to create a savefile.

Best,

CP .
tom4jesus

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2009, 16:46    Post subject:  

I posted what I thought was a bug but found it to me my mistake.....never mind.
Embarassed
Tom
Bligh

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2009, 03:49    Post subject:  

Wow, just got it, the system I've been using for about four years for dl and burning iso's became corrupted so I have been transitioning. I've just taken a peek at it so far, but it's fast starting, runnung, and shutting down. The skittish icons will take some getting used to, haven't gotten to kde yet. Looks Great. So much new stuff to learn. javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
Cheers
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2009, 06:26    Post subject:  

Hi. A brief update; I found an old backup copy of Dingo 4.00 and used that as my startup pup_save.2fs file. It works well especially with Rox-filer disabled (I don't need it with Wbar working).

Some great wallpapers too. I haven't managed to try the Mariner.sfs file yet but I will soon.

So thanks and well done for a good Puppy. Smile
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2009, 16:54    Post subject:  

Extra update; I don't want to tempt fate by saying this but my machine has stopped locking up since I've been running this one. I'm happy to put that down to Tazoc's software engineering skills in putting Lighthouse 4.12 together!

Needless to say, considering all the lockups I had before I'm sticking with it for the time being.
techtype

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb 2009, 17:27    Post subject: Firefox  

This is a very nice release, as with your previous work. The only thing that I have noticed is that Firefox is not stable. There is a quick check that can be performed for Firefox stability on any pup or other Linux release: go to the my.yahoo.com page (assuming you have it set up to include lots of news headlines), then run the cursor up and down over the news stories for several seconds, pausing sometimes to trigger the javascript that displays more of the story. If Firefox is unstable, the browser will disappear without a trace. If Firefox is stable, you can do this all day without a problem. Mark's Muppy releases are stable and so is the "Unnamed Pup" and releases built from it. Many releases that include Firefox 2 are stable, but most that include Firefox 3 are not.
Barburo

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2009, 04:38    Post subject: Boot woes  

Hi TazOC,
I need some advice on booting 4.1.2 on my laptop (see signature block for specs).
All attempts to boot 4.X versions of puppy with the 2.6.25.16 kernel hang after these prompts:
Quote:
Unzlmaing Linux ... done
Booting the kernel.
... and no key combination seemed to get past the hang point.
I used debug (loglevel=7) and found that the boot process hung on this message:
Quote:
ACPI: EC: non-query interrupt received, switching to interrupt mode

I searched the forum and found this entry with a similar problem of hanging at the same place:
Brian Old Newbie wrote:
Acer Aspire 5520-5908 live cd boot hangs at one of these two places:
Loglevel=7 Hang points:
ACPI: EC: Non Query Interupt Received Switching to Interupt Mode
ACPI: Bus Type PNP Registered
if I tap the power key - it keeps going & boots ok

... and yes I find that I can get 4.1.2 to boot if I tap my power key after it hangs.
I looked in /tmp/bootkernel.log after I had succesfully booted this way and found these relevant entries:
Quote:
ACPI: EC: Look up EC in DSDT
ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored via DMI
ACPI: Interpreter enabled
ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S5)
ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing
ACPI: EC: non-query interrupt received, switching to interrupt mode

I don't know what the EC part of ACPI is but it seems to cause a non-query interrupt that makes the boot process hang. I found in other places on the forum that some people had had success with using various "ACPI=" and "PCI=" boot parameters, so I tried every combination of the following boot parameters to try to get it to boot without hanging and all have failed.
Quote:
acpi=off acpi=strict acpi=noirq pci=biosirq pci=nosort irqpoll routeirq

Any use of "ACPI=" either messes up the sound or prevents proper shut down.
I have also tried Wow's LXDE unnamed pup that uses the 2.6.27.5 kernel and it boots with no problems.
I'm thinking that it must be something in the 2.6.25.16 kernel as I can boot "retro" versions of 4.x. no problems.
I'd really like not to have to tap the power button every time as I really like the look, speed and features of your new LHPup.
Any suggestions or information? Kernel patches or ??
B.
(P.S. This Lighthouse pup runs great on the old 500Mhz box my wife uses and the .sfs files for Mariner, Open Office, Picasa etc. all load and integrate just fine - it's these new-fangled sophisticated laptops that cause trouble!).

tazoc

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2009, 15:39    Post subject:  

@Barburo,
Sorry to hear about the boot issue on your laptop. It does sound like a kernel bug, but I don't have any expertise with kernels. Just a long shot, but if you have grub installed, try adding ' nosmp' to the end of your kernel line. If Puppy 4.1.2 Retro works, maybe I could build a LHP4 Retro, hmm... I wonder how much time that would take... have to think about that. I'll post here if that is workable.

@techtype,
[Edit 3 Mar 09:] Narrowed it down to Javascript. Disabled javascript in preferences and only then my.yahoo.com works fine. (Not a good solution of course. ) Seamonkey and Opera work fine, though. Firefox is flaky for me too, I imagine it has to do with Flash, hopefully that will be addressed. For me it's just an annoyance because after restarting FF, I choose reopen previous session and then I'm able to continue with the same tabs open.

@CP, that great! Wish I could take credit, but I don't know if it's anything I did.

@All,
Thank you, great feedback, will keep in mind for next version. I've already updated Audacious to 1.5.1, more info soon.
-TazOC

Last edited by tazoc on Thu 05 Mar 2009, 17:04; edited 1 time in total
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2009, 19:42    Post subject:  

Tazoc; I'm not sure either tbh, but I don't know who or what else to give the credit to so you may as well have it. Smile

In recognition of the troubles you and I suspect many others are having with Firefox, I've installed Icecat-3.0g1 which is working OK at the moment.

I've also managed to get Mariner working by loading the Mariner.sfs file on bootup as you said, so I've got KDE 3.5.10 working on my machine now. Not bad for "just" 256 MB.

I may try some other .sfs files soon if I can find the time to get them downloaded, such as the Opera, Voyager and Open Office ones. But for now it's all running well and I've got access to programs and utilities I've never had before and look forward to trying out, such as Amarok. So many thanks for all your hard work. Smile
sunburnt

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2009, 21:39    Post subject:  

Has anyone tried unioning more than 5 SFS files?
Memory requirements & cpu load should go up exponentially.
More that 10 SFS files should bring even a fast PC down to a crawl.
Not to mention the stability factor... Many more things to go wrong.

Ideally there would be no union, like a Full install except with SFS files.
This is the future, as the union is an unnessesary complexity fraught with problems.
tazoc

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2009, 02:22    Post subject:  

CP,
Thank you, I will look into IceCat, that's good to know. Can you check 'about:plugins' to see what version of Flash you have in IceCat? I'm glad your setup is working--good job!

Sunburnt,
Point taken, although I am running 9 extra SFS every day with no discernible negative effects and the software in them works for me. I'm running boot from CD/frugal on one box and grub/frugal on my main system. For frugal, I believe that using a smaller main file, with extra apps on SFS is more compatible with low-RAM machines. It is also very convenient for updating just the SFS, e.g. OpenOffice or just the main file when new versions become available.

I agree that this strategy is a compromise. For instance, I must 'visualize' the layer ordering whenever more than one SFS has the same file name and if needed, script a setup-uninstall wizard accordingly. And as Leon noted Dec 17 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36733 it is wise to include descriptive file names so that one can see what Puppy/LHP version a given SFS has been tested with.

As a relative newcomer to Linux I am still learning about the inner-workings of Puppy and am curious how a full install with mounted SFS would work. For me a full install of Ubuntu crawls and I only use it if it has something I can't get working in Puppy or LHP. I wonder how a Slax install handles the hundreds Surprised of modules available on their website?

I will post here if layering 10 or more SFS packs results in a performance hit, and encourage others to do the same. Note that LHP 4 is still Beta and we may need to decide whether allowing up to 24 SFS, or lowering to that to, say 9 or 18, is appropriate for a final release.
-TazOC

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2009, 05:05    Post subject: Icecat  

Hi Tazoc,

It uses the Gxine and SVG (vector graphics) plugins. I'm using the Icecat source file rather than the petfile (not that there's anything wrong with the pet, but I already had the source file on my pen drive);

icecat-3.0-g1-i386.tar.bz2

Best,

Colonel Panic.
sunburnt

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2009, 10:17    Post subject:  

tazoc; A Full install of Puppy won't allow a union on /
This has been tested, however it'll probably allow a union on a sub dir. mount.

As I say... The SFS files just need to be mounted but not unioned.
Rearranging the SFS files dir. structure may be a good idea for some apps.
With this approach even a Full install will use SFS files as the method of use
would be to mount them on a sub dir. & use them much like Gobo Linux does
in keeping it's apps. in sub dirs. like WinBlows does (just a different method).
tazoc

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar 2009, 23:00    Post subject: Running fine in KDE with 16 SFS files  

sunburnt wrote:
Has anyone tried unioning more than 5 SFS files?
Memory requirements & cpu load should go up exponentially.
More that 10 SFS files should bring even a fast PC down to a crawl.
I think those fears may be unfounded. My box (single core 2.1GHz) is now running LHP 4 Voyager in KDE with 16 SFS packs in /mnt/home. Performance is not affected as far as I can see. CPU usage at idle hovers around 2-3% and RAM usage appears normal. Apps open and run quickly, even 3D screensavers and apps located in lower layers. I will continue testing and monitor performance.

I haven't observed any instability but I agree that complexity and file versions by layer make this a compromise, so I will try to incorporate a non-unioned arrangement in the future.
-TazOC

sunburnt

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar 2009, 00:34    Post subject:  

tazoc; Aufs may do a better job of layer virtualization (less memory).
As to cpu load, it would only be noticeable when there's layer access.
I seem to recall reading something like this about aufs years ago.

I worked on a Puppy version years ago that had no union.
The idea:
Use links in place of the main / dirs. that point to the real dirs.
This allows the /etc dir. to be accessed from a USB flash, web drive, etc.
So any PC running Puppy would then login to the users personal settings.
The same with the other main dirs., they can be sourced from anywhere.
The dirs. are catagorize into R/W & R/O, R/O would usually be an SFS file.
The R/W dirs. would be an SFS file that's small so it can be rebuilt quickly.
The R/W dirs. could also be full files (not an SFS file) (in memory or not).

Also a Full install (no SFS files) could be run in memory (with no apps.).
This setup could use apps. in SFS files (in memory or not), or web apps.
This arrangement is the most straight forward & lots of folks would like it.
But Full files can get viruses & be corrupted, SFS files aren't as easily hurt.

A totally open & configurable layout, sort of octopus like ( OctoPuppy? ).
So then Puppy could be easily modded & changed in many different ways.
This is a very radical setup & lots would need to be altered, but it's worth it.
We had it booting to where the modules loaded & then there was errors.

I'm moving into yet another house soon & I'll have my 2 Puppy PCs with
all my years of work on Puppy utilities, LanPuppy, & this experiment.
Page 2 of 23 [345 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: