Can't delete print job: Error: client-error-forbidden

Please post any bugs you have found
gymnart

#16 Post by gymnart »

I don't know if this will work well in Puppy but I had to have my SuSE system (CUPS 1.1.23) set up this way in cups.d:

<Location /jobs>

AuthType None
AuthClass User
Allow From @LOCAL
</Location>

I also have the statement RunAsUser set to "No". I am able to cancel any print job this way. I haven't had to do that in a long time so I don't remember if it wants the root password for this or not.

Anyway, like I said, I don't know if this would work in Puppy. I learned about this from the linuxquestions.org forums.

vtpup

#17 Post by vtpup »

Thanks for trying gymnart.

In Puppy's CUPS version, that stanza brings up a user/password authentication window when clicking on jobs in the web interface.

If either user or password fields are left blank and the enter button is pushed, the password challenge is repeated and you can't move to the jobs screen.

If any user name and any password are entered, they are accepted, and the jobs screen opens, but the user can't actually delete a job

If root is entered as user, and any password is entered, the user can delete a job.

So, it's possible to semi-authenticate using root, and any word for a password, and then delete a job.

It is a lot easier to just type cancel 1 (for job #1) in the terminal.

gymnart

#18 Post by gymnart »

ok, but what about the statement RunAsUser and set it to "No"? What is it set to right now?

vtpup

#19 Post by vtpup »

Hi gymnart, I tried it without the RunAsUser statement, with it set to No, and with and without User set to root. I didn't notice any difference. I killed and restarted CUPS with each try.

gymnart

#20 Post by gymnart »

ok, thanks.

disciple

#21 Post by disciple »

Did you try Ttuuxxx's suggestion of installing gtklp? I'm not sure if it will work as I've only used it in old Puppies, but it might. I prefer it to the web interface anyway, but the bug should still be fixed.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gymnart

#22 Post by gymnart »

Do the job #s start over or do they continue? For instance on my SuSE system there have been 599 jobs printed. So if Puppy's CUPS continues its counting like that, I would have to remember what # it's on.
Just wondering...

vtpup

#23 Post by vtpup »

Thanks Disciple, and to ttuuxxx

I'm at the reported maximum for a pup-save file at 1.8 g and I'd like to preserve the margin of space I have, so unless an app is critical to me at this stage, I don't want to add more. Same thing with the patched CUPS.pet -- but I'm grateful for the offer of help.

The cancel command through the console is simple and straightforward, actually less of a hassle than bringing up localhost:631 in a browser and navigating to a jobs screen. Since the rest of the CUPS web interface works for me, I don't really need another CUPS frontend.

I also have Turboprint installed, and it has a couple front ends, too, so probably that's enough for this box! In fact I wondered if the CUPS cancel jobs problem is a result of an interaction between CUPS and TurboPrint -- I was wondering if you, disciple, had TP installed as well?

My interest in the CUPS problem is really just just curiosity now, since there are so many alternative solutions.

vtpup

#24 Post by vtpup »

gymnart wrote:Do the job #s start over or do they continue? For instance on my SuSE system there have been 599 jobs printed. So if Puppy's CUPS continues its counting like that, I would have to remember what # it's on.
Just wondering...
Type lpstat in the console to get the pending job numbers.

ecomoney

quick fix

#25 Post by ecomoney »

Just a quick tip, an expansion on the one offered earlier

Code: Select all

cancel -a
Typed into the console will force the deletion of any pending print jobs
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

gymnart

#26 Post by gymnart »

That's good to know, I gotta jot that down! :D