Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 09:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Boot from zip via parallel port
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
racepres

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb 2009, 09:56    Post_subject:  Boot from zip via parallel port  

OK I really have googled this hard, So it is probably right under my nose! I really want to get puppy onto this antique ast lappy, that' is running Damn Small Linux pretty OK. to see if the equip. is just too old I am working with a "semi old" compaq. to get it going. I made a boot Floppy that seems to work w/ both machines. Have the usb type install onto the zip, cause I found no way to put it on via parallel. Both machines refuse to look for the parallel port. Tried option 2, get to the "provide subdirectory menu.. but Parallel is not an option. option 3, Parallel cdrom, just kinda freezes, Option 8, free dos w/ hardware detection, gets to an invalid opcode and hangs right after scsi detection. Am I wasting my time or has someone been successful at boot from parallel? Thanks
RP
ieee488

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb 2009, 10:16    Post_subject:  

laptop model?

zip model? I'm confused. Is it a Zip drive or a cd drive?
racepres

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb 2009, 10:52    Post_subject:  

Sorry.. For testing I am using a evo n115 compaq. the zip that I am trying to boot from is a parallel connect [printer port] iomega . The drive I made the zip disk with is a iomega usb zip, because I can't get the Pup to see the parallel port drive. Which should tell me all I need to know!!!
I gotta go to an appointment here in a bit so don't get discouraged if you don't hear back till later.. Thanks RP
BTW Has anyone got any parallel port drive to function or even bee recognized? Maybe I need to start there.

Edit: link removed

Edited_time_total
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb 2009, 11:24    Post_subject:  

This came up before, several times, and there have been other discussions of using the parallel port. Search. There is an expert amongst us. There is a website dedicated to parallel port in Linux, too. As I remember, most things are possible but not by mere mortals - it gets very complicated. You might end up writing your own driver?!
racepres

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb 2009, 18:09    Post_subject:  

And Search I have! Whilst away I downloaded zipslack. I don't really care for slax that much personally, but I may learn how some of this zip, parallel, all that, works.. RP
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2009, 06:01    Post_subject:  

I meant Search on THIS Forum. When I entered 'parallel AND port' I found 123 entries, many of which reminded me of previous discussions.

Incidentally, you are breaking the board rules with your lengthy link. Please truncate this ASAP.
racepres

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2009, 13:16    Post_subject:  

Sorry bout the link. Wasn't really useful anyway. I searched using parallel port zip boot.. so got nothing tried parallel port boot.. still nothing. using parallel port, there is plenty of printer info, and a couple of "unsolved" as far as I can tell. I did however find your solution from a year and 8 mos ago. Not what I was looking for either. In the future when the question arises "has anyone booted from a parallel device?" The answer up to now is apparently No! While I realize that that was never one of the "goals" of the puppy, I am still going to stay at it... just cuz. RP
amigo

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2009, 13:35    Post_subject:  

For starters you'd probably need to re-compile the kernel and add support for the parallel-port-IDE feature. Either that or create a custom initrd whichz loads the kernel module fr that before mounting the / partition. If you want to boot directly from that device you'd need support in the BIOS for that. Using an initrd would let you use a floppy, CD or small HD partition to initiate load the kernel and initrd and then the root '/' partition could be nearly anywhere.
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2009, 13:41    Post_subject:  

I imagine this makes the Iomega scsi parallel port zip drive
even more of a challenge?

rjb

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

racepres

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb 2009, 16:12    Post_subject:  

rj: I'm with you... especially challenging for an aging "Mac guy".
amigo: I understand the necessity of the boot floppy. It was that very floppy that led me to believe that this might be a click and go procedure. You do show some interesting perspective. I did notice that some parallel port work has been done elsewhere. Maybe I can get lucky and integrate that into a boot floppy procedure. Knowing that it will probably require more than one floppy, I will need to do even more research. Good thing business is not strong, I may have the time to fool w/ it.
All this cause of one cranky little crappy, antique, laptop!! RP
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum