Trying to understand puplets

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nousername

Trying to understand puplets

#1 Post by nousername »

Ok, I have regular pup 4.1.2 and Macpup E17 installed (frugal) I figured out how to switch wm's (command line - would like to set it up with a gui button) and I was interested in checking out mediapup. Now if I download Mediapup, burn an iso and install this, will it work like a different wm or will I have separate homes, usr's etc. or am I like doing this all wrong? I'm afraid I'm lost a little bit. :shock: apt-get doesn't seem to work :D

raffy

subdir, pet

#2 Post by raffy »

Puppy has its own package manager using pets, so treat apt-get as extra.

As to using different puplets, you can put the files in subdir (vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup_xxx.sfs), so your grub entry will look like

Code: Select all

title Puplet xxx
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/subdir/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd
initrd (hd0,1)/subdir/initrd.gz
where 1 -> partition 2
hd0 -> hard disk 1

Of course many puplets can exist in one partition. You can use non-Linux partitions for subdir.

Only grub files require Linux partition (the boot directory that grub uses). For using grub in WinXP, see here.

And you don't have to burn an ISO - click on it in Puppy 3+ and you should be able to copy the files from inside it.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

ICPUG

#3 Post by ICPUG »

Sorry to disagree with you, Raffy, but if you use grldr from the Grub 4 DOS project the grub files don't need a Linux partition either.

This was the basis of my Lin'N'Win project for dual booting Puppy and WinXP (or 9x) without creating any Linux partitions.

Lin'N'Win can be found at:

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

darrelljon

Re: Trying to understand puplets

#4 Post by darrelljon »

nousername wrote:Ok, I have regular pup 4.1.2 and Macpup E17 installed (frugal) I figured out how to switch wm's (command line - would like to set it up with a gui button) and I was interested in checking out mediapup. Now if I download Mediapup, burn an iso and install this, will it work like a different wm or will I have separate homes, usr's etc. or am I like doing this all wrong? I'm afraid I'm lost a little bit. :shock: apt-get doesn't seem to work :D
Sounds to me like you only want to try different window managers.

nousername

puplets

#5 Post by nousername »

Sounds to me like you only want to try different window managers

Yeah, no windows here. I'm used to kde but kde is not very friendly to memory video card impaired old computers and I'd love to find something that works good on these old p3's I've got laying around. I've always been impressed with the speed of puppy and the speed of slackware but It's hard to find the time to learn it sometimes. Slackware upset me for some reason. I forgot what it was. Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it.