WakePup v1.1c (WakePup v1.0 updated)

News, happenings
pakt

WakePup v1.1c (WakePup v1.0 updated)

#1 Post by pakt »

WakePup 1.1c - an update to WakePup 1.0

Please note: WakePup 1.1c is for the Puppy 1.0.x series only. If you are using Puppy 2.0.x, use WakePup2 which is included on the Puppy2 CD. Look in the menu for the utility to make a WakePup floppy disk. If you cannot make the floppy from the CD, the disk image can be downloaded here .

WakePup is a Puppy boot disk using FreeDOS, with support for USB mass storage drives (CD-ROM, hard disk and flash), legacy parallel port drives (Backpack CD-ROM and Iomega ZIP) and legacy PCMCIA drives (Addonics or similar CD-ROM).

WakePup will boot from floppy or CD. Except for the drivers, WakePup uses only GPL'd software or freeware.

How to make the WakePup Puppy floppy disk
-----------------------------------------

With a formatted 1.44MB diskette in the floppy drive, do one of the following:

1) In DOS/Windows, unzip WKPUP11C.ZIP in a temp dir and execute MAKEDISK.BAT

2) In Linux, copy WKPUP11C.ZIP to a temp dir and execute:

# unzip WKPUP11C.ZIP
# dd if=WKPUP11C.IMG of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

Main changes from WakePup v1.0:
------------------------------

- WakePup is now compatible with Puppy USB flash drives made by Puppy's "Install Puppy USB drive" wizard, Option 2. This is the option recommended by BarryK which creates a pupxxx file on the USB flash drive. WakePup will boot these drives with just the addition of the empty marker file PUPXUSB which can be copied from the WakePup floppy or CD.

- Booting from a USB device will bring up this menu:

Select USB drive boot options

1. PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1 PFILE=pup100-none-262144 (Default)
2. acpi=off PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1 PFILE=pup100-none-262144
3. PSLEEP=25 PFILE=ask (choose pupxxx name & location)
4. acpi=off PSLEEP=25 PFILE=ask (choose pupxxx name & location)

- Booting from an IDE/CD-ROM/ZIP drive will bring up this menu:

Select drive boot options

1. PFILE=pup001-none-262144 (Default)
2. acpi=off PFILE=pup001-none-262144
3. PFILE=ask (choose pupxxx name & location)
4. acpi=off PFILE=ask (choose pupxxx name & location)

Note: WakePup does not work with all USB flash devices. A lot depends on the controller chips used and brand of flash drive.

WakePup will pause after the USB driver has scanned for USB devices. If it identifies one, it will print a short id string and assign a drive letter to it. If not, the driver will print "Target USB device not found".

Tip: If it cannot find your USB device, it may help to re-format it (FAT16).

UPDATE 26 Nov '05: Updated to v1.1c - minor changes to v1.1b
Also available as WakePup 1.1c boot floppy in DOS/Win self-extracting archive[/url]
Last edited by pakt on Wed 18 Mar 2009, 08:25, edited 6 times in total.

bombayrockers

#2 Post by bombayrockers »

pakt thanks for wakepup 1.1b.
Even though pupp1.0.2 (kernel 2.6.11) wont boot with all sort of boot loader I tried. Using linld.com from wakepup I have successfully booted kernel 2.6.12.2 + modified image.gz.

However during the normal boot process when I press enter on the 1st option (IDE / CD rom / ZIP ) it still asks me to plug in the usb. It is very annoying that every boot I have to press Enter key on more time.

thanks

pakt

#3 Post by pakt »

bombayrockers wrote:pakt thanks for wakepup 1.1b.
Even though pupp1.0.2 (kernel 2.6.11) wont boot with all sort of boot loader I tried. Using linld.com from wakepup I have successfully booted kernel 2.6.12.2 + modified image.gz.
Glad you could use it to boot the new kernel :)
bombayrockers wrote:However during the normal boot process when I press enter on the 1st option (IDE / CD rom / ZIP ) it still asks me to plug in the usb. It is very annoying that every boot I have to press Enter key on more time.
Yes, I've had second thoughts about that myself. That pause is due to the "/w" switch I added to the USBASPI driver allowing you to swap USB devices. I have decided to remove that switch. I don't really think that it would be all that useful.

While I was at it, I have also removed another unneccessary pause. I just left the one that gives you a chance to read the USB driver message. The USB driver doesn't work with all USB devices so it is useful to know if the device has been detected or not before deciding to continue.

I have updated WakePup from 1.1b to 1.1c, which incorporates these changes.

Thanks, bombayrockers, for your feedback.

netjess

Wake Pup

#4 Post by netjess »

I am trying to load puppy-1.0.7-mozilla.iso on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDT.
I made the boot floppy and I have Puppy in the CD drive. This PC will only boot from FDD or HDD.
All goes good until the "press any key to continue", it finds the IMAGE.GZ file on the CD and then it errors:
Invalid Opcode at [memory address]
LINLD v0.97
Error reading cl=@file

Can someone help? I am not sure what to do here.

pakt

Re: Wake Pup

#5 Post by pakt »

netjess wrote: All goes good until the "press any key to continue", it finds the IMAGE.GZ file on the CD and then it errors:
Invalid Opcode at [memory address]
LINLD v0.97
Error reading cl=@file

Can someone help? I am not sure what to do here.
It sounds like one or more files on the floppy are corrupted.
Try making a new WakePup floppy and see if that one works.

Paul

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Barry has managed to get some more space for Puppy2 (without a size increase) I wonder if this program should be included in Puppy2

My feeling is yes or at least there should be a link and download and prepare a disk for booting. It would makes things easier (not for programmers) but once done would be another asset

What say you? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pakt

#7 Post by pakt »

Lobster wrote:Barry has managed to get some more space for Puppy2 (without a size increase) I wonder if this program should be included in Puppy2

My feeling is yes or at least there should be a link and download and prepare a disk for booting. It would makes things easier (not for programmers) but once done would be another asset

What say you? 8)
Lobster, if I understand you correctly, it would be a bit of the chicken and the egg thing. You would need to be running Puppy to execute some kind of "Make WakePup floppy" wizard, but...hmm, we need the floppy to boot the Puppy CD first... :shock:

On the other hand, a WakePup floppy image could be included on the CD along with a script or batch file to write it to a floppy. Maybe that's what you where thinking?

This would assume at least access to the CD from Linux or Windows - booting the CD wouldn't be necessary.

Paul

scott_g

#8 Post by scott_g »

Hi,

I'm trying to use this Wakepup USB boot, but it gets to the options of Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 psleep=25 phome=sda1 pfile=pup100-none-262144 and freezes.

Is there a way around this? Ive tried all the option and none work!!!

Any help is useful

Scott

pakt

#9 Post by pakt »

scott_g wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to use this Wakepup USB boot, but it gets to the options of Kernel command line: root=/dev/ram0 psleep=25 phome=sda1 pfile=pup100-none-262144 and freezes.

Is there a way around this? Ive tried all the option and none work!!!
Scott, I assume you are trying to boot Puppy 1.0.x and not Puppy 2.0.x. If you are booting Puppy 2.0.x, please see the note at the top of the thread:
Please note: WakePup 1.1c is for the Puppy 1.0.x series only. If you are using Puppy 2.0.x, use WakePup2 which is included on the Puppy2 CD. Look in the menu for the utility to make a WakePup floppy disk. If you cannot make the floppy from the CD, the disk image can be downloaded here:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7979
It may be that you have a bad floppy. Try making WakePup on a fresh floppy. Problems with floppies are common.

BSnapZ

#10 Post by BSnapZ »

Ummmm..... I am a total newbie to all linux things. I have the files on USB, and have a WakePup v1.1c boot disk.
All goes well untill after the menu where you chose which installation process to go through.
I know, not worded very well, so look below to see if you can understand better.
LINLD v0.97
Kernel command line:
root=/dev/ram0 PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1 PFILE=PUP100-none-262144
Read error
High mem corrupted - not exiting to DOS
It does this to all 4 options.
HELP!

pakt

#11 Post by pakt »

You don't mention which version of Puppy you're using. Did you see the message in the first post of this thread?
Please note: WakePup 1.1c is for the Puppy 1.0.x series only. If you are using Puppy 2.0.x, use WakePup2 which is included on the Puppy2 CD. Look in the menu for the utility to make a WakePup floppy disk. If you cannot make the floppy from the CD, the disk image can be downloaded here:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7979
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

BSnapZ

#12 Post by BSnapZ »

Sorry. I am using Puppy v1.0.8 with WakePup v1.1c.

And I have tried it with more than one floppy.

pakt

#13 Post by pakt »

Judging from the symptoms, it seems like LINLD is having trouble reading the files on the USB stick.

First try copying the Puppy files to the USB stick again in case one of the files is corrupted.

If that doesn't work, try re-formating the USB stick (FAT16) before putting Puppy on the stick.

HTH,
Paul

BSnapZ

#14 Post by BSnapZ »

When i went to re-format it, the only options were as follows:
-NTFS
-FAT32
-FAT

The current format is FAT32.
Should i just try FAT?

UPDATE: I tried re-formating in both FAT and FAT32, but the same thing happened. Then i tried NTFS, and it 'failed', even though 'PUPXUSB' was located in there. (Note that when i tried the 'dir' command, it didn't show anything. It said that there was no label. But NTFS wouldn't work anyway, would it?)

pakt

#15 Post by pakt »

How big is your USB stick? If it is 64MB I don't think all of the Puppy files will fit on it.

Are you using Puppy's 'Install Puppy USB drive' (Start -> Setup -> Install Puppy USB drive') to put Puppy on the stick?

BSnapZ

#16 Post by BSnapZ »

1GB....
I don't get what you mean. Where do i go start -> setup -> Install USB Puppy? I am trying to install puppy linux, and i am using windows.
Lets say that i had the image file, burned it to a cd, the cd drive wasn't working properly, i copied the files form the cd onto the usb stick.
The problem is not the stick, as i tried it on another stick and it didn't work.

pakt

#17 Post by pakt »

BSnapZ wrote:1GB....
I don't get what you mean. Where do i go start -> setup -> Install USB Puppy? I am trying to install puppy linux, and i am using windows.
Lets say that i had the image file, burned it to a cd, the cd drive wasn't working properly, i copied the files form the cd onto the usb stick.
The problem is not the stick, as i tried it on another stick and it didn't work.
Ok, I assumed you had access to another PC that would boot the Puppy CD. That instruction (start -> setup -> Install USB Puppy) can be run from Puppy to put the Puppy files on a USB stick for you.

You mention that the cd drive wasn't working properly - that could be the cause of your problem if it isn't reading the files correctly from the CD to the USB stick. Perhaps you can borrow another PC to put Puppy on the USB stick?

BSnapZ

#18 Post by BSnapZ »

Oh. My bad. Yes i do have access to another computer.
I never actually tried booting it on another one. I burned the cd on a computer that had a working cd drive. I will try setting it up that way.

BSnapZ

#19 Post by BSnapZ »

Hmmm i can't create a usb puppy disk because it has 4 partitions (apparently). In windows it says it has unknown partitions, and wont let me clear it or anything.

??

pakt

#20 Post by pakt »

You can use windows to format the USB stick as one FAT partition.