woof alpha1

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#46 Post by Lobster »

Not sure where to even begin . . . here maybe . . .
http://aboriginalart.com.au/gallery/iconography.html

- eh sorry seem way off topic . . . 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dinky

#47 Post by dinky »

To be honest it's a great idea, b ut I feel very uncomfortable. it's a big taboo in Australia to use aboriginal art, images, and stories without prior permission. Comes from our history of colonialization. It seems silly when thinking about this in terms of an open source community, but it's very real here. Would be interested in icons and a theme inspired by this artwork, and that of other similar artwork form around the globe, providing it wasn't a direct rip-off. Anyway, way off the topi people. Lets start a seperate thread for anyone who's interested, and keep this for woof.

~dinky

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

G'day dinky,

I know a couple of Aboriginal elders around my local area. One in particular, and I know he likes computers. If you and Dogone and whoever else are interested in pursuing this avenue I will approach him. And if it is ok with BK and WhoDo.

Permission from Indigenous Australians is Important, for us as much them. Reconciliation is an ongoing issue in Australia, and one thing Kevin Rudd done right was to apologise to the indigenous commmunity for past government wrongdoings to this community.

We must also consider BarryK and WhoDo. I'm sure they don't want Puppy or Woof to become a political and social football. Not all publicity is good publicity.

What I have found with Aboriginal culture is that some things are tabu for some and other things are not. For example, any male may play a didjeredoo, but a female, no matter race or creed may not. So problems may arise where a male may use a certain icon set and a female may not and vice versa. Oh, and a different thing for children. Probably icons representative of animals would be fairly inert. Could be an interesting project, with `woof' at the base.

This could be good for Puppy and the Indigenous People of Australia, but softly, gently and with due respect.

Cheers

Mick

UPDATE: Thread started http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 671#276671
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

sue

better build times

#49 Post by sue »

The build times can be improved considerably, if your HW is up to it.
1. Add make to the environment
2. Replace the slow serial for loops with make -k <n_jobs>.. Put n in the config file.
I'll refactor the scripts over the weekend, since make wants to call scripts.

No luck with upup; I haven't been able to get the intel video drivers up on any puppy or woof I've tried, although ubuntu-ibex-x86 and x64 run fine. I made rxvt in 1download conditional on DISPLAY, so I can build from CLI.
Puppy: Because I want speed!

CavedOOde

#50 Post by CavedOOde »

Hi there,
Would be kinda cool to build an Arch puppy and be able to use their AUR PKGBUILD system, there is ton's and ton's of software in there.

After i read up some on puppy and find and setup my compiler environment, i want to dig into that. It seems not to hard to make a .pet from a tar.gz Archlinux package. Only thing that comes to mind when creating packages from AUR is using their ABS tools and convert the created package in question to a .pet using parts of woof.
Think it be even possible to make a GUI app and download a PKGBUILD script and automate the hole thing.

The only problem i could think of is that all the dev tools needed would not be in devx, but that could be added easily right ?

I may be wrong, if i am forgive , i am using puppy for like 3 days.

Question: after one would build an Arch puppy can one also generate the devx.sfs for it ?

Greetz
Caved

01micko

#51 Post by 01micko »

CavedOOde wrote:
Question: after one would build an Arch puppy can one also generate the devx.sfs for it ?

Greetz
Caved
It's done in the woof build

rrolsbe

Slackware built Woof with 2.6.27.4 kernel on HP dv5t-1000

#52 Post by rrolsbe »

Had everything except the wireless working with Puppy 4.1.1. The wireless card on the HP dv5t-1000 laptop needs a 2.6.27 flavor kernel and Woof has the option of building with the 2.6.27.4 kernel. Just download the firmware from Intel for the 5100 a/g/n wireless card and install it in the /lib/firmware directory.

# pwd
/lib/firmware
# ls *5000*
iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode LICENSE.iwlwifi-5000-ucode README.iwlwifi-5000-ucode

Thank-You Barry for Woof
Regard, Ron

dinky

#53 Post by dinky »

Building now. Stillinterested on a custom build, but for now trying Ubuntu Puppy. So does this mean I can install regular Ubuntu packages in Puppy, assuming my build is based on Ubuntu, by simply undebbing them, and converting the folders to pets?
~dinky

01micko

#54 Post by 01micko »

dinky wrote:Building now. Stillinterested on a custom build, but for now trying Ubuntu Puppy. So does this mean I can install regular Ubuntu packages in Puppy, assuming my build is based on Ubuntu, by simply undebbing them, and converting the folders to pets?
~dinky
Barry is working on it dinky. have you read his blog lately?

Haven't seen my friend yet, may take a week or two.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#55 Post by Lobster »

dinky wrote:So does this mean I can install regular Ubuntu packages in Puppy, assuming my build is based on Ubuntu, by simply undebbing them, and converting the folders to pets?
~dinky
Yes.
I regularly install a program as I need it. However Puppy packaging is fragmented. A bit here a bit there. So yesterday I wanted a version of my fav xaraLX as an SFS to run under 4.12. Found it evetually. Using a complete depository like those of Slack or Ubuntu - Nice.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Aitch

#56 Post by Aitch »

Lobster wrote: However Puppy packaging is fragmented. A bit here a bit there
So maybe cb88's thoughts on package management will get some support?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 691#277691

About time puppy [and maybe some puppians, too :wink: ] grew up a bit, maybe?

Not pointing any fingers, you understand, Lobster? Just a perspective on some recent postings, OK?

I'd be very interested in Pizzasgood's, HairyWill's & WhoDo's views, but I know they're all very busy......but they have my respect...

Aitch :)

01micko

#57 Post by 01micko »

Aitch wrote:
So maybe cb88's thoughts on package management will get some support?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 691#277691

I'd be very interested in Pizzasgood's, HairyWill's & WhoDo's views, but I know they're all very busy......but they have my respect...

Aitch :)
Yeah read that earlier Aitch, nice idea by cb88. (I built an apup from woof, nice)

Yep, Pizzasgood in particular..

cb88

#58 Post by cb88 »

so what is it exactly that is blocking having a multiuser option? is it something to do with barry's custom initscripts?
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

dinky

#59 Post by dinky »

Will be interesting to see what Barry does, his blog was heading in interesting directions. Still nothing about support for adding/deleting other packages that are differrent from the standard puppy build... which I don't use much...

I doubt it's that difficult to change, but would be good to see an easy way to do it... like some instructions of what needs to be hacked and where.... there's alot of support in woof already for building the packages, but not on what to change to download, and install, different packages from the start... back to hacking the script , but would be good to have some more advice on it. Cheers.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#60 Post by Lobster »

To remind you - interested in Woof keep an eye on Barrys Blog and this page
http://puppylinux.com/woof/

Hairy Will is involved in a time consuming project known as 'Real Life'
It is kind of like virtual reality only more realistic :)

I am sure he will be sneaking on to the Puppy forum
for a bit of penguination . . .

Also Warren will be releasing Beta3 of Deep Thought very soon.
So do test that and ensure that the Woof Puplet/Build system is based
on Puppy 4.2

Woof works already but it needs time to mature
for Puppy 4.3 (or similar) which may have multiple builds/releases.

Because of Barrys innovation (yet again) people are keen to tinker
and experiment :)

Puppys are more Fun
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

01micko

#61 Post by 01micko »

dinky,

The way I read this is that BK is supporting package installation from other distros' repoes.

From BK's blog
This works with the new standardised package database format. As a Puppy built from Woof is based on packages from a "compatible distro" as well as PET packages, the new package manager offers to install packages from both groups of repositories. It also takes care of all dependencies.
23/2/09

Cheers mate

dinky

#62 Post by dinky »

That's so exciting! So is this, from the latest post on Barry's blog:
Man, I've been doing heaps of coding. About 15 hours per day for the last week. I'm going to take a break soon.

The 'petget' script has been totally rewritten. The Puppy Package Manager is much more modular, many small scripts that just do one thing each.

'petget' works from the commandline like before ...well, it should do, haven't actually tested it yet.

Furthermore, it handles .pet, Slackware .tgz, Arch .pkg.tar.gz and Ubuntu/Debian .deb packages. I have setup mime types so that when click on any of these packages in a ROX-Filer window, 'petget' will run.

aarf

#63 Post by aarf »

dinky wrote:That's so exciting! So is this, from the latest post on Barry's blog:
Man, I've been doing heaps of coding. About 15 hours per day for the last week. I'm going to take a break soon.

The 'petget' script has been totally rewritten. The Puppy Package Manager is much more modular, many small scripts that just do one thing each.

'petget' works from the commandline like before ...well, it should do, haven't actually tested it yet.

Furthermore, it handles .pet, Slackware .tgz, Arch .pkg.tar.gz and Ubuntu/Debian .deb packages. I have setup mime types so that when click on any of these packages in a ROX-Filer window, 'petget' will run.
i Havent figured whether its the easter bunny or santa claus.

Sultan Rahi

#64 Post by Sultan Rahi »

Hello everybody. This is my first post, so don't be to rude with me please. :)

I will buy a laptop soon and want to install Puppy Linux on it. Being on Ubuntu for quite a while, I really need to try something faster and more customisable. I was thinking of Toutou Linux (puplet in French) with Xfce, cause I'm French and it's more fun with its own language.
And then I heard about Woof and before saying "Wow!", I just wondered: can I have everything in French right from the beginning or in another language (my wife is Chinese)?

Answer: yes, it seems possible.
Other items on the todo list;
1. (...)
2. Building-in the locale files for your choice of languages.
(...)
So my questions here are:
- Is it easy to install new packages without worrying about the translation ?
- Can I have access, right from the beginning to a multi User Woof ? Can we just give somewhere the choice between the usual Puppy running on root (by default) and another one, just like the other distros, with a root account, one user and the possibility to add some others later ?

Some solutions have been given somewhere in this forum to add it on Puppy. I'm not trolling here about security. Just think that it's easier sometimes to have this kind of option.

Have a good day

ps: Hum, does anybody now who created the puppy icon ?
[i]Mew mew[/i]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#65 Post by Lobster »

Sultan Rahi wrote:Hum, does anybody now who created the puppy icon ?
Rastapix

Welcome to the kennels :)
We are pussy friendly (so to speak)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)