Wakepup does not power down

Booting, installing, newbie
Antilles

Wakepup does not power down

#1 Post by Antilles »

Hoping that someone can provide me some tips on how to resolve this problem.

If I boot from the liveCD I can shutdown and power down my 9 year old PC.

If I create a wakepup floppy I can boot from the floppy and transfer to a USB pen drive (using USB 1.1). All good. When I shutdown it saves my session but says power down and leaves hardware still up.

I've tried different acpi (on/off/force) but nothing works.

Can anyone provide any tips on how to shutdown the hardware when I'm finished?

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

Antilles:

Power down means "push the on-off button".

rjb

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Antilles

#3 Post by Antilles »

That's the problem I'm hoping someone can help me resolve.

If I use the liveCD (4.1.2 I think) then Shutdown will turn off the hardware.

When I try WakePup with a floppy so that I can boot from a USB pen drive I have to push the power button to turn off.

I want to make this a completely headless (no monitor) puppy installation so want it to probably shutodwn itself.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

As I recall, the Wakepup floppy has settings for ACPI power management. Maybe you are picking the wrong one. A good choice on older machines is acpi=force. That's the only thing I can think of that would be different between the Live CD and Wakepup.

Antilles

#5 Post by Antilles »

Thanks. I've tried acpi=force as well as acpi=yes and no. All with no luck.

There seems to be something different in booting from the liveCD and jump starting the USB flash with Wakepup Floppy.

I did use the liveCD to create the USB install and the Wakepup Floppy.

Does anyone know where I can find out what options started the liveCD so that I can make sure Wakepup uses the same.

Also, when the liveCD creates a USB install does it copy the same files it uses or another copy stored somewhere else on the CD. My thought here is that the files on the USB may not be the same as the ones on the CD.

Again, thanks for any help as this is driving me mad. The problem must be to do with some setting as the liveCD proves Puppy will do what I want.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Since Wakepup seems to be the problem, you could try replacing it with a boot CD. Go here and get the "pup2usb" package. It explains how to make a bootable CD that will launch your USB install of Puppy. Because it's based on GRUB instead of DOS, it should behave more like the Live CD.

However, I would try this first: Boot off the Live CD and at the short initial pause, type:

Code: Select all

puppy pmedia=usbflash
That will launch the USB install. Then check if it shuts down properly.

Antilles

#7 Post by Antilles »

rcrsn51 - Thanks for the tip on booting from the LiveCD and jumping to the USB. This proved the problem is with the floppy and not the USB side of things.

I've decided to admit defeat in using the floppy boot to USB and bought an IDE-2-CompactFlash converter from ebay. I'll then buy a small card to go with it and use it as a hard drive. This way I'll still keep the noise down and no longer need the USB Pendrive.

Thanks