GtkDialog - tips

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
disciple

#1366 Post by disciple »

(wrote this while you were posting)

Don't echo MAINGUI. Echo some other text.

1. Run the script.
2. Click the button to open leafpad.
3. Click OK. The text is not echoed yet. We want it to be.
4. Close leafpad. The text is echoed now.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#1367 Post by disciple »

Yes, it would be very nifty if you could make it possible to achieve this along with what you were posting about in the other thread about non-blocking backgrounded actions in the blocking mode.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

wiak

#1368 Post by wiak »

MochiMoppel wrote:
BTW: Your question pups up from time to time (see here). Maybe zigbert should add the solution to his tips collection.
The given solution as a tips pattern is useful to know but even better for some would be a detailed explanation of what caused the problem in the first case and exactly in terms of processes, subshells, tty connections, or whatever why this solution works. I do not know the answer to what causes this issue, which may or may not be obvious, but I admit to often finding solutions like these by brute force trial and error rather than by technical accuracy/understanding. However, when trying to program improvements into gtkdialog it really is necessary to exactly understand what went on rather than just blindly accepting a method/solution, so if anyone knows that answer (and not just some googled pseudo answer) would be better than just a tip for zigbert's collection.

Proper understanding is better than a list of tips/patterns (useful thought these are) but I have searched on the forum and whilst the problem has been posted before, and solution similarly provided, no correct explanation has been forthcoming. And of course there is a real properly explainable technical explanation to why the issue occurs.

The construct $() uses a subshell to start a program/process so that seems to be part of the issue.

The >/dev/null proves necessary, but I don't know what it does here that fixes things. Using <action>leafpad 1>&- &</action> is slightly more efficient than using <action>leafpad >/dev/null &</action> in this case by the way (since no filename lookup involved), which may or may not be a clue to the overall operation.

I suspect that since gtkdialog is being started in a subshell then the action command leafpad somehow not having its stdin and stdout connected to appropriate open file descriptor though I haven't however been able as yet to work out the detailis, or if what I'm imagining is the true issue, so if anyone knows the exact correct mechanism that would be a better solution aid.

wiak

wiak

#1369 Post by wiak »

Last edited by wiak on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#1370 Post by rcrsn51 »

This was interesting. I have seen situations where a sub-process of a gtkdialog app "leaked" data into stdout, which eventually came back out through the main $(gtkdialog).

This required some extra processing at the end to clean up the desired output from $(gtkdialog).

disciple

#1371 Post by disciple »

Hi guys, another question:
It seems that if you use a fileselect action with either fs-action=\"file\" or the deprecated accept=\"filename\", it accepts either a file or folder. Would you see this as a bug? i.e. should it accept only a file? Or is there a trick to make it accept only a file?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

MochiMoppel

#1372 Post by MochiMoppel »

disciple wrote:t seems that if you use a fileselect action with either fs-action="file" or the deprecated accept="filename", it accepts either a file or folder. Would you see this as a bug?
Yes.
i.e. should it accept only a file?
Yes. If it doesn't your gtkdialog is broken.
Not sure what you mean by "it" and "accept". You may select a file or folder but the widget will only return a file, never a folder.

disciple

#1373 Post by disciple »

OK, so does this work as expected for you?

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash

export INPUT_FILE_DIALOG="
<window>
<vbox>
 <text>
 <label>What file shall we open?</label>
 </text>
 <hbox>
  <entry fs-action=\"file\">
   <variable>INPUTFILE</variable>
  </entry>
  <button>
   <input file stock=\"gtk-open\"></input>
   <action type=\"fileselect\">INPUTFILE</action>
  </button>
 </hbox>
</vbox>
</window>
"

INPUTFILEGUI="`gtkdialog --program=INPUT_FILE_DIALOG`"
I didn't expect to be able to select a folder and click OK.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

MochiMoppel

#1374 Post by MochiMoppel »

disciple wrote:OK, so does this work as expected for you?
Yes.
I didn't expect to be able to select a folder and click OK.
It may not be obvious that OK opens a folder so that you can continue to find a file, but it wouldn't close the dialog as the mission to select a file is not completed. The important thing is that, when selecting a file, "OK" closes the dialog and enters the returned file name into the entry field. What would you expect? That "OK" is grayed out when clicking on a folder?

disciple

#1375 Post by disciple »

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.
MochiMoppel wrote:It may not be obvious that OK opens a folder so that you can continue to find a file
That's actually what I expected as it is standard gtk behaviour, but here it instead closes the dialog and enters the returned folder name into the entry field.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

wiak

#1376 Post by wiak »

disciple wrote:Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.
MochiMoppel wrote:It may not be obvious that OK opens a folder so that you can continue to find a file
That's actually what I expected as it is standard gtk behaviour, but here it instead closes the dialog and enters the returned folder name into the entry field.
@disciple: No, something must be broken on your system. Only enters a file here (same with gtkwialog by the way: only accepts a file).

disciple

#1377 Post by disciple »

Ah, it looks like the problem might be only when selecting a directory in the "recently used" list, and at least some other gtk (2 and 3) programs are also affected. Leafpad is the only one I tried that isn't.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

wiak

#1378 Post by wiak »

Pity I got myself locked out of my Gtkwialog development thread. I was just a bit mad for a moment - which may be unacceptable to some purists, but I make no claim of purity. So there I was, gathering my thoughts again, and preparing to remove my abandoned notice - what a surprise to find I could not do that! Anyway, what the hell - it was all a bit of fun from my perspective and really been wanting to stop working on any project for a couple of years now.

And who was that mfb?!!! Oh my goodness, what an awful person! Throw away his keys too! Never heard of him or her before, truly.
mfb wrote:Flash has just banned Forum member, rufwoof, on the basis of a single incident. If musher0 cannot reform and become reasonable - I can expand upon musher0's deception above and provide Flash, at least, with many more major reasons why he, musher0, should get the same treatment.
My thanks to MochiMoppel (the author of this "viewer") for his helpful answer in the post immediately above and also for this entire project.
He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign [Flash].

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle. [I know musher0 so very well, whereas musher0 does not even begin to know me].
Ah ha! A serial troll and a 'friend' of Mochi's, I should have known. Reminder to myself: ignore troll mfb

Good luck Mochi, the program code you dropped on me in that gtkwialog dev thread does not work for dash (I had tried it of course and knew that) but, well done, it does indeed work with busybox ash, and truly that is surprising. Don't know if gtkdialog -p will work with bash exported functions - that one I really haven't since bothered to try. And good luck rcsrn51 (I always get these letters mixed up - but I'm not dyslexic - I just can't get the order of them right in my head) - I'm glad you liked my tip, but of course you would know how to do that anyway.

As for my poor locked thread - oh dear, Flash, you ballsd that one up for me good and proper - may be truly abandoned now - bad timing - unnecessary sudden moderation - what on earth did you do that for? Don't answer - it doesn't matter. I am not upset in any way at all - I am not 0musher or saintless, though maybe they were never actually upset either - it is hard to take the serious types seriously (and I'm not now referring to 0musher or saintless)... In Scotland, we just don't think like that. But yeah, lock my thread - throw the keys away - wasn't about to change the world in any way, anyway.

I will work things out via Fredx181's Dog team eventually I'm sure. Even though rcsrn51 has set up camp there now too - oh my goodness, what a drama! Great news is that my lovely wife returns from her business trip in a few days time and my kids are equally excited about that - oh wow, I'm a lucky guy, if only you knew... If she had only not been away I might have avoided getting into that gtkdialog sacred ground mess altogether but her absence just inspired me (especially since, as I said, I was somewhat invalided) to code relentlessly for a while. That period of madness was thus about to end at least anyway - ah, Scotland, what a place - best country in the world really and our bite is just a joke usually - unless you are English of course.

I've been accused of drinking vodka in my locked out comment thread. Hahaha - funny guy. Bit over-the-top serious for me too though. Obviously interested in coding nevertheless and I'm sorry if he was disappointed I got mad for these moments - I was only a wee bit mad anyway - just enough to bark (I forgot I didn't have a key back to my thread). For me, admittedly, and being Scottish I do hate admitting any kind of truth, it is all but a game on here - but some really tiring attitudes I do have to say - I suppose it is a kind of social forum for some too - me too a little but uses too much family time for that and should limit such chat. But some no doubt think exactly the same of me (in terms of tiring - do you know what a Glasgow handshake is??? - just joking) - but if you ever use one of my programs just remember: that's the price you pay, free as in vodka.

And don't greedily jump in thinking you've won something that would be freely given anyway - wait till you have all the keys needed to unlock the safe first. Don't jump the gun; timing is everything, and sometimes life is like a game of chess - be wise rather than authoritarian, which is bad enough in 'real' life.

wiak

disciple

#1379 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:Hi guys,
Back totally on topic, I came across this series and found it rather useful. It doesn't seem to have been mentioned here yet.
gtkdialog Exploration – articles and examples – series introduction

I also have a couple of questions I was wondering if anybody has a quick answer to:

1. Using the fileselect action, it is possible to make the file chooser open to a particular folder by using fs-folder something like this:

<entry accept="savefilename"
           fs-filters-mime="application/pdf"
           fs-folder="'$HOME'" 
           fs-title="Select output file"> 
     <variable>OUTPUTFILE</variable> 
     <input>echo '$OUTPUTFILE'</input>
    </entry> 
    <button> 
     <input file stock="gtk-new"></input> 
     <action type="fileselect">OUTPUTFILE</action> 
    </button> 
But what I'd really like to do is make the file chooser open to show the current selection. i.e. click the button, choose a file, then later click the button again and have it open in the location of the same file (rather than at a set location i.e. fs-folder, or in the list of recent items, which is default). Is this possible to achieve in a relatively straightforward way?
As far as I can tell the answer is to read OUTPUTFILE from an input file, that way you can add an action to write to the input file and another action to refresh the variable. I suppose that is relatively straightforward, but personally I'm averse to writing files just for things like this.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#1380 Post by disciple »

Hi guys, coming back to this question:
disciple wrote: what is the most straightforward way to open up a program and not have it block what the rest of your script does?
It seems the solution doesn't work if I try to use it with xdg-open i.e.

<action>xdg-open http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=149208#149208 >/dev/null &</action>
It produces an error:

xdg-open: unexpected argument '>/dev/null'
Any ideas how to avoid this?

Thanks.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

MochiMoppel

#1381 Post by MochiMoppel »

disciple wrote:It seems the solution doesn't work if I try to use it with xdg-open
Works perfectly here.
Please check your xdg-open script. Mine accepts only 1 argument ($1), which in your case would be the URL..

[Edit]: Hmm..I tried to let xdg-open accept '>/dev/null' as an argument and trigger your error message. No success. Whatever I do your code just works :cry:
I don't think that bash would treat any redirection operator as a command argument (unless you pass is literally as a string).

disciple

#1382 Post by disciple »

Ah, sorry, my mistake. It didn't just affect xdg-open - I'd got my test system mixed up and was using the early version of gtkwialog, which didn't have gtkdialog compatibility.

But thanks for testing, and would you be able to confirm whether you have a Puppy xdg-open or the "real" freedesktop.org version? I don't have the Puppy version here, and I'm keen to be sure I'm compatible with it!

Thanks.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

MochiMoppel

#1383 Post by MochiMoppel »

Puppy xdg-open

wiak

#1384 Post by wiak »

disciple wrote:Ah, sorry, my mistake. It didn't just affect xdg-open - I'd got my test system mixed up and was using the early version of gtkwialog, which didn't have gtkdialog compatibility.
Yes, I thought you must be using gtkwialog (in -a or -b mode) rather than legacy gtkdialog. And, yes, with newest gtkwialog it will work with your example without any changes (since in legacy gtkdialog mode by default).

Should you be using either gtkwialog -a or -b modes, you have to remember no /bin/sh (or any other shell) is being used to execute the command (which is instead being fork/exec more directly), which means neither redirection nor job control with & will be in operation since these facilities are provided by a shell. So if you want redirection and job control you either have to use gtkwialog in default legacy gtkdialog mode or if using -a or -b modes, you need to start up a shell to process your command as follows (note that I prefer turning off stdout rather than just redirecting to /dev/null device since the latter is less efficient):

#!/bin/sh

export HELP_DIALOG="
<window>
<vbox>
  <button>
   <label>Open murga link in browser</label>
   <action>sh -c "xdg-open http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=149208#149208 1>&- &"</action>
  </button>
  <button ok>
  </button>
</vbox>
</window>
"

MAINGUI="`gtkwialog -b -p HELP_DIALOG`"

echo "hello"

gtkwialog -b -p HELP_DIALOG

echo "goodbye"

exit 0
wiak

disciple

#1385 Post by disciple »

Thanks guys, I switched the latest version of gtkwialog back in when I realised.
I think gtkwialog is great, but I'm still writing for gtkdialog, as that is what everybody has at the moment.
BTW, are you still going to release the gtkwialog source?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER