Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Sep 2014, 07:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Can't get WLAN card to work
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
milosz

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 19:16    Post subject:  Can't get WLAN card to work  

I have a Linksys WPC600N card, trying to use NDISWRAPPER on the XP/W2K driver via it's bcmw15.inf file using the NETWORK WIZARD

Looks like NDISWRAPPER loads the driver, but no WLAN interface is presented - if I do it from the command line:

#ndiswrapper -i /usr/local/XP2K/bcmw15.inf

I get

driver bcmw15 is already installed

But in the Network Wizard it only shows eth0 no wlan0 interface.

The Linksys WPC-600N is a PCMCIA card, do I need to load a PCMCIA driver first or something?
milosz

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb 2009, 20:09    Post subject: MORE INFO ip link show does not list wlan  

ip link show only shows loopbak ( lo ) and the PCI ethernet adapter ( eth0 ) does not show WLAN0 or anything realted to the broadcom driver that is ndiswrappered.

I found what is supposed to be a native Linux driver on the Broadcom site but as am a Windows guy i am struggling with trying to figure out how to install it. Their instructions don;t make a log of sense to me http://broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt I untarred (unzipped?) the driver download and the folder structure it talks about in the README doesn't seem to exist in the uncompressed files, and I can't get the suggested makefile to run, etc

I can see why people aren't switching to Linux in droves from Windows. This Linksys WiFi card installed in a trice under Windows.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb 2009, 05:01    Post subject:  

milosz wrote:
I can see why people aren't switching to Linux in droves from Windows. This Linksys WiFi card installed in a trice under Windows.

That's the fault of the chipset manufacturer; Broadcom in this case. Broadcom support in Linux is notoriously flaky. If you had a Ralink or Atheros based device the situation would be dramatically different.
But there certainly are Linux drivers available for Broadcom. ndiswrapper is a poor second/third choice.
You should first try the "b43" driver. Puppy includes this standard kernel module. If it doesn't load automatically, load it from the Network Wizard.

If it fails to establish a wifi connection, try the proprietary "wl" Broadcom driver. I see elsewhere on the forum you are learning how to set up the build tools and kernel source to compile this driver. That's great, but it would be a lot easier just to use the dotpet I contributed here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=251942#251942
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: