Taskbar memory status

Using applications, configuring, problems
lotech

Taskbar memory status

#1 Post by lotech »

I am not clear about how Puppy handles and display memory status, I am running Puppy on USB flash, I see only 23M free on the taskbar status which I've 1G memory on the notebook, and I have OB free out of 500M on desktop puppy space, after I change the syslinux.cfg with 'noram' now I get near 500M free on puppy space but still get only 23M free on taskbar, what is that all about ? how come puppy eaten up so much of memory ?
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :wink:

WhoDo

Re: Taskbar memory status

#2 Post by WhoDo »

lotech wrote:I am not clear about how Puppy handles and display memory status, I am running Puppy on USB flash, I see only 23M free on the taskbar status which I've 1G memory on the notebook, and I have OB free out of 500M on desktop puppy space, after I change the syslinux.cfg with 'noram' now I get near 500M free on puppy space but still get only 23M free on taskbar, what is that all about ? how come puppy eaten up so much of memory ?
The first thing you need to know is that the display in the taskbar may not be giving you "memory" status. It may instead be giving you free "space" on your USB device, or free "space" in your pup_save.2fs file (if you have one), or the amount of free "space" (RAM) left in your ram disk. There are different results reported for different conditions under which you have booted.

Free "memory" is a bad choice of terminology that just happens to be right every once in a while, like the hands on a stopped clock! There are many better applications for detecting the status of RAM, disk space, etc. Htop, Hardinfo, pmount, the command line "free" run from a console, The latter is probably the most accurate for RAM, but I won't fight anyone who wants to argue.

The sole benefit of Freememapplet, IMHO, is to warn you if you are about to run out of space in your save file, so you can resize it and continue operating without the risk of losing data. Otherwise it's pretty much worth what we paid for it. :wink:

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

lotech

#3 Post by lotech »

Yes got it, no complain :?
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :wink: