Why Puppy is the only distro not to shut down?

Using applications, configuring, problems
big_bass

#16 Post by big_bass »

Pizzasgood wrote:I think that error also appears when you have the module but not the device it is supposed to be used for. I had tried loading a Toshiba module on my Dell laptop and it gave me a "No such device" error, but the person I was helping ran it on his Toshiba and it worked fine.
yeah thats it I have the module it not being used

thanks pizasgood

the good news is it does shutdown correctly

I just need to know why not on an official puppy
this really needs to get fixed

I m glad there are others interested in this too
thanks

big_bass
Last edited by big_bass on Thu 29 Jan 2009, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

Along with one or two others, I've been reporting this defect for years. This is a unique Puppy feature. In principle, a direct comparison of Puppy code with how other developers do things should provide the answer? But who am I to ....

big_bass

#18 Post by big_bass »

Sage wrote:
Along with one or two others, I've been reporting this defect for years. This is a unique Puppy feature. In principle, a direct comparison of Puppy code with how other developers do things should provide the answer? But who am I to ....
Sage or anyone else who had shut down problems
looks like just a few of us had this problem ?

try this CD and let me know if it now powers off your puppy box

puppy based 4.12 with the 2.6.27.7 SMP kernel
Slaxer_Pup-412.iso.md5.txt
d0668f33bc5a2c25c59df8230f152e6a Slaxer_Pup-412.iso

85MB lzm compressed
http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/big_bass/Sla ... up-412.iso

Code: Select all

puppy
linux
when asked for the password

this live CD does poweroff my box :D

Joe
Last edited by big_bass on Thu 23 Apr 2009, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

davesurrey

#19 Post by davesurrey »

Hi big_bass,
I have been one of the "few" who have had problems with shutdown; please see my post in this thread dated 27 jan 09.
So I downloaded your pup tonight and for the very first time my test PC shuts down and ctrl+alt+backspace reboots the x-server (rather than crashes the system) without needing to add acpi=force to grub.

As an aside it seems to boot much quicker than standard 410, 412, 420. Not sure how fair a comparison this is though. Sorry, very tired tonight but will try to time it tomorrow to compare.

Congratulations! Whatever you did, please keep it up! :)

EDIT:
In the light of day I did a quick and dirty test and sorry but it doesn't boot any faster. Perhaps I was fooling myself by the speed at which the text flew by on the boot-up screen.

big_bass

#20 Post by big_bass »

davesurrey

Hi big_bass,
I have been one of the "few" who have had problems with shutdown; please see my post in this thread dated 27 jan 09.
So I downloaded your pup tonight and for the very first time my test PC shuts down and ctrl+alt+backspace reboots the x-server (rather than crashes the system) without needing to add acpi=force to grub.

great news
thanks for your report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdABlGoar9g
big_bass