Why is pup_save not being updated with session data?

Using applications, configuring, problems
lapis

Why is pup_save not being updated with session data?

#1 Post by lapis »

I am running Puppy 2.17 with a frugal install and pupmode is 13 even though it is a USB hard disk not a flash drive.

Even so, the message "flushing ram to pup_save file" pops up every so often but it does not actually do anything.

The session changes are only kept if I shutdown normally. If there is a crash then I lose every change from that session.

I am sure this is not the intended behaviour. What could be wrong?

Also where is the message being printed from? I see no need for it and would like to get rid of it. There was no such message in earlier Puppy versions.

Thank you.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

WRT your more recent question, but not wanting to knock it off the unanswered posts list:
I think your pupmode should be 12. But I don't think you can force a different mode unless you take apart the initrd and modify the startup script in it.
It is possible a more recent Puppy would correctly detect that you are not running on flash media.

I pity you, booting on USB1.1 - I thought booting from CD would be faster? Maybe I'm imagining things...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3 Post by Béèm »

I think people have reported here that they changed the pupmode with success to meet their correct environment.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

lapis

#4 Post by lapis »

disciple wrote:I think your pupmode should be 12. But I don't think you can force a different mode unless you take apart the initrd and modify the startup script in it.
I have read the instructions on editing the initrd and successfully edited it. The only problem I had was that there wasn't a symlink to /mnt/home any more and I couldn't figure out how to make one permanently.
It is possible a more recent Puppy would correctly detect that you are not running on flash media.
I have only just managed to get to 2.17 from 2.15CE. :oops: and I only did that because I needed my dial-up modem to work and it didn't before 2.17.

However, this omission of not handling usb hd seems to be long standing so unless someone assures me it has been fixed, I am loath to try.
I pity you, booting on USB1.1 - I thought booting from CD would be faster? Maybe I'm imagining things...
Yeah, copying files is slow. I keep meaning to get a usb 2.0 pmcia card but the local shops never have them in stock.

However, booting is not too bad. It takes a bit over a minute.

So any ideas on why the flushing ram to pup_save doesn't work? It was fine in Puppy 2.15CE. Is it something to do with the change to Aufs although it says in the init script that that is broken and unionfs is still used?