The need for a high level language in Puppy 4.2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pa_mcclamrock

#46 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Mr. Maxwell wrote:Ah yes, Blender. My favorite open-source application ever developed. It would probaly fry everyones computer though considering how old most of them are.
You might be surprised. My daughter has a fairly old computer with a 1 GHz processor, and Blender runs remarkably well on it.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

Mr. Maxwell

#47 Post by Mr. Maxwell »

Yes but I'm looking at a 550MHz processor with 64MB of RAM! No chance at all...

I'll ask around on the Python Forum and see how much I can strip off. If I get get it below 5MB think it will be included?

pa_mcclamrock

#48 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Mr. Maxwell wrote:Yes but I'm looking at a 550MHz processor with 64MB of RAM! No chance at all [for using Blender] ...
Um, you're right--the slowness of the processor might not be fatal, but the small amount of RAM would. :(
I'll ask around on the Python Forum and see how much I can strip off. If I get get it below 5MB think it will be included?
In the official Puppy distribution, where the quest has been to cram the whole thing into an ISO of less than 100 MB (and people dispute about whether even 2 MB or less for Tcl, Tk, and Gnocl is worth it), most likely not. In the version of Puppy Unleashed that follows 4.2 (for which, i.e., 4.2, the package list has been finalized), maybe so. In a custom puplet that you will be able to create with even greater ease than before in Puppy 4.2, sure--even if Python alone takes up noticeably more than 5 MB!
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

Mr. Maxwell

#49 Post by Mr. Maxwell »

To be honest a 100MB disk image is a waste of a 700MB disk. :D At some point I will include a Python distro of Puppy, just not yet as the 64MB of RAM makes it impossible to have more than one Puppy installed at a time. (I have to delete all hard drive partitions to install puppy) I guess I do have a 16GB flash drive I could install a couple puppys on...

Anyway, it really is a shame to know that Python will probaly never be included in Puppy. :cry: It really limits my ability to contribute to Puppy. :(

EDIT:

Scratch everything I just said! I was messing around with Python (version 3.0) and was able to reduce the size down to 2.433MB :shock: (yes, two and a half megabytes!) using ZIP compression!!!!! (it was the windows version and was without the standard library and Tkinter) I'm not sure it would work but if it does we might have a serious competator for the next puppy realese! This way if the user needs to they can install Tkinter later and the appropriate standard library modules come with the to install package, a preaty easy way to do things and I would be willing to help set it up. (as long as someone compiled python for me, my C/C++ compiler is messed up)
[url=http://www.tribalwars.net/3389956.html]Super amazing game![/url]