Newyearspup 02 Micro, Mini, Midi, and Maxi RC10

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

#76 Post by MU »

Dave,
well Ubuntu has 150 developers that get a loan to build the distro. They certainly have access to a wide variety of testhardware.
We Puppy guys do it in our spare time... Even worse, newyearspup/wowspup has just 2 maintainers, as it uses newer drivers than Puppy.
I just can test hardware, that I was sent by users, beside the new machine I have (mostly a donation) and the old hardware I keep for tests..

I can understand, that such issues frustrate you, but if you need a distro with more support, it might be better to stay with the mainstream Puppy, or even a larger system like Ubuntu.
Myself, I can not offer such support with my limited resources of time and money.

If you are not completely discouraged now, then please try this pet:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06 ... .14.15.pet
(user: puppy, password: linux)

As I have no matching card, I cannot test it myself, but it compiled fine.
By Nvidia it was announced as "beta", as it is a quick upgrade of 173.14.12 to match the new Kernel 2.6.27.
According to forummessages I found via google, it should work.
I also updated the xorgwizard, it now will display the release version of the different -Nvidiadrivers (177, 173, 96).

Note:
you need 43 MB free diskspace for this driver, plus around 22 MB temporarily for the installation of the pet..

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

davesurrey

#77 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Mark,
I think you are mis-reading me somewhat. Let me explain better.

Firstly I mention Ubuntu not as a challenge or even as a comparison but ONLY as an example to say that this board and PC and driver combination can work. That is, we are not chasing rainbows or the impossible.

Secondly my appreciation for your efforts and that of wows and a lot of others has been mentioned more than once in this thread. Please have no don't about that.

Thirdly I am too stuborn to give up that easily and would like to work with you to try to find out what is wrong. Not only will that help ME but also hopefully other users as this combination is not exotic but quite common.

My apologies if what I wrote came across as a moan. That was never the intention.

I will now try the new pet, from which many thanks, and report back.
I assume that your comments about xorgwizard displaying the release version is in response to my request for more info on what to select on boot up.

Thanks again and let's keep smiling. :)
Dave

techtype

A gentle suggestion

#78 Post by techtype »

Mark,

Dave mentioned a problem that I have noticed also. Switching between window managers (especially repeatedly) seems to produce unpredictable and undesirable results. I have learned not to switch.

I would like to gently suggest for your consideration: eliminate all but two or three window managers until you have everything just the way you want it (and debugged).
Then as time goes by (and users report success), you can add additional window managers.

In the end, it's still your baby, but it's my favorite too.

wow

#79 Post by wow »

davesurrey wrote:MU, it would help if I knew what the various xorgwizard options do.
Do they install a diff driver eg 96, 173 etc.

In which case what does what. At the very least which one should I use for the new board.
About Xorg 7.40's xorg.conf file, AFAIK some options are ignored 'cause Xorg autoconfigure extensions and input devices (we can start X without a .conf file with some tweaking). To start Compiz Fusion you must use 24bpp as color depth.

Before install another nVidia driver please try to use a fresh pup_save file, load devx-Xorg74*.sfs and linux-2.6.27.5-patched-Nov-12-2008.sfs and reboot. Then use the nVidia installer to install a beta linux graphics driver.

Download those SFSs here

Download beta drivers

Start compiz with this command:

Code: Select all

compiz --loose-binding --replace
If something went wrong just press CTRL+C (in the same terminal window) to stop compiz and read error messages.
Last edited by wow on Wed 04 Feb 2009, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

iscraigh

#80 Post by iscraigh »

on my mouse challenge

I am posting this from regular unamed pup and my mouse works fine

I copied the mouse section of the xorg to new years pup and and rebooted into it still no love. A regular mouse works fine in New Years the problem seems to be my wireless microsoft mouse. (a linux conspiracy against anything Microsoft ;) )

Craig

davesurrey

#81 Post by davesurrey »

Thanks Wow for this. It's 2am here so no more tonight but will try this all tomorrow and report back the results.
Cheers
Dave

wow

#82 Post by wow »

iscraigh wrote:A regular mouse works fine in New Years the problem seems to be my wireless microsoft mouse
Try to reconnect your mouse while X is running Xinput hotplug must reconfigure it. If it still refuses to work play around with mouse "protocol" in xorg's config file:
http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/html/mouse.4.html
Another workaround might be to install pciutils from slackware, a new pci.ids file and restart X.

wow

#83 Post by wow »

MU, I can't download puppybasic-2.6 source code from noforum.de (Failed to Connect) , I just wondering if you can upload it to somewhere else or apply the rgba patch to it (in main() and before draw the window):

/*	Set rgba colormap	*/
	GdkScreen *screen = gtk_widget_get_screen(window);
	GdkColormap *colormap = gdk_screen_get_rgba_colormap (screen);

if (colormap && gdk_screen_is_composited (screen)){
		gtk_widget_set_default_colormap(colormap);
	}
/*	End set rgba colormap	*/

MU

#84 Post by MU »

ok Dave, no problem :)
I just wanted to explain the differences.
Hope, you have success!

Wow, I attach the recompiled gtkbasic (for /usr/bin/).

I use this ode:

/*   Set rgba colormap   */ 
   GdkScreen *screen = gdk_screen_get_default(); 
   GdkColormap *colormap = gdk_screen_get_rgba_colormap (screen); 

if (colormap && gdk_screen_is_composited (screen)){ 
      gtk_widget_set_default_colormap(colormap); 
   } 
/*   End set rgba colormap   */
This gets the screen, even if you defined no window yet.
Muppyfiler is transparent then.
Now off to the Javacourse.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Schism

Mouse Won't Work

#85 Post by Schism »

Nice! I do have a problem though. The USB mouse doesn't work. I do have a Puppy Exton 2009 installed also and the mouse works there. What can I do?

Thank's to everyone, Barry K.,Lobster, MU, and everyone who have worked for the last few years on the greatest OS i know to date.

techtype

screenshot

#86 Post by techtype »

Here is my latest look with your new icons and themes:

davesurrey

#87 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Mark,

Couldn't try your suggestion until now. Distracted by other issues this week plus had a strange problem on my test PC.

I have been using Full install up until Wow's message so tried to do a Frugal install but kept getting:
"Error 18" on boot up. Put it down to something wrong on the disk space where this partition resides. Changed partitions and all well.

Okay, made a new install (new save file), frugal this time, and added your deskicons002, rc1-service pack 1 and nvidia-173 pets.
Rebooted.
Selected nvidia-173 driver for the FX5200 card.

(Many thanks for adding a guide on Xorgwizard screen as to what to use where. Very helpful).

This is what I noticed:

1. Selected "LXDE MU with compiz" it went to a white screen. Needed to ctlr+alt+bkspace and run xorgwizard.

2. "LXDE MU" ran okay but screen resolution no higher than 1024x768x52 which seems quite low and there is a continual flicker.

3. Selecting "OpenBox+LXpanel+CairoDock" it runs with some but less flicker but same low-ish resolution.

4. Then I switched off xcompmangr. It still flickers but now LXDE MU +compiz works!!!

Well done Mark!!! Fantastic.

I know Compiz is quite complex and not very intuitive to set up so am not too sure if everything is working...

However so far I have noticed:

5. I am getting a lot of white screen and the edges of many applications aren't there. I think this is termed "Windows decorations." eg the title bar and x,-, + icons at the top right are missing.

6. Some just give a completely white screen. eg "My Documents" "PBurn" and "Preferences>Network Wizard".

7. I have also had instabilities where by selecting an application (sorry can't remember which ones) I get thrown back to the "choose a desktop environment" screen.

I guess it's a setting issue but at least it's working now so nearly there.

In addition:

8. Also noted that if I set up to automount devices on boot-up then selecting the System icon (PCMan file manager) if I right click on a volume to unmount it I get "Unable to unmount...the volume was probably mounted manually on the cmd line"

Whereas if I choose not to auto-mount on reboot then using PCman if I right click on a volume to mount it I get 3 messages:

"unable to mount device..Error, org.freedesktop.hal.device.volume.unknown failure"
I click on Okay and get:
"unable to mount device..."same as before
I click on okay again and get
"Error ..Directory doesn't exit".

9. One small issue: like Dingo 4.1.2 and, I think, other 4.x versions I have had to add "acpi=force" to the kernel line in grub otherwise I can't Power-Off nor will ctlr+alt+backspace exit from X cleanly. I believe it affects SiS chipset mobos mainly.

@Wow:
Thank you for your suggestion. I appreciate your help. Luckily it looks as if MU has now got it working.

@techtype:
Very nice!
For others perhaps it might be helpful if you could tell us which themes, icons etc you used. Although experimentation is always good. :)

Thanks to all contributors for everything so far.
Dave

MU

#88 Post by MU »

Dave,
as it works better in Ubuntu, we might get help from that.
You might try to copy the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from Ubuntu to Puppy.
Then exit X, and type:
xwin
Maybe it includes some options required by the driver 173.

If that does not help, please attach your /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
Both, the one from Puppy, and that from Ubuntu.
And also xorg.conf from Ubuntu.
I am not certain, that I will find something helpfull in it this time.
But maybe by comparing both, a special setting can be found.

To confgure compiz, you have 2 utilities in the menu, compiz-config to setup effects, and Emerald theme manager, to set up the decor (window-titles and buttons).
Maybe with a different decor you can avoid the white edges.

And use the Gtk-Themeselector, to activate a different Gtk-Theme.
Try those called "norgba". They have no transparency.
Maybe the transparency feature is incompatible with compiz on your card.
It is a bit experimental, also Muppyfiler and the Analogclock work incorrect in compiz, if I compile Gtkbasic with this feature (I attached such a patched Gtkbasic further above on this page).
They show no pictures then, just white areas.

Mark

Fishy

#89 Post by Fishy »

When I try to write to my XP partition in Newyearspup it will not let me, only gives me an error message. NOP 412 and standard Dingo 412 will allow me to write with no issues. I only use XP for X to DVD as I still have some issued with it in Wine. :oops:

I haven't found any change in file manager settings. Kind of strange as NOP uses Thunar and Dingo Rox. :?

davesurrey

#90 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Mark,

I have tried before to use the Ubuntu xorg.conf file in NYPup but it didn't improve things. Tried again just now and still it makes no

difference. Interestingly the Ubuntu file is much smaller that the puppy one so I assume there are auto detection events going on as well.

The Ubuntu is version 8.10 using xorg 7.4 as well and kernel 2.6.27-11.

Also tried various changes to Emerald and played around with MU-gtk-Themechoser but made no difference either.

I am attaching the ubuntu and puppy xorg.conf and log files in case they can be of help.

However a few of observations:

1. using nv driver I still get some flicker.

2. I can only get it to work setting up from the "select graficsdriver" window if I select the 173 driver (or nv of course.) But I see that,

selecting 173, the nvidia-x server-settings window tells me that it is using the 96.43.09 driver!! I confirm I did load the nvidia-173 pet

you made.

3. The cairo windows are all white when LXDE + Compiz is selected. Otherwise all okay.

Thanks once more.
Dave
Attachments
davesurrey_xorg.tar.gz
(5.51 KiB) Downloaded 355 times

MUguest

#91 Post by MUguest »

:oops: :oops:

Dave,
I made a small error in xorgwizard.
If you select the "173" driver, then "96" is installed.
If you select the "96" driver, then "173" is installed.
I will upload an updated pet this evening, when I'm back home.

For now, please try the "96" (which in reality will install the 173).
As you wrote, it will not work, then please do this:
After X fails to start, type:
cp -ax /var/log/Xorg.0.log /root/

Then start X with a working driver, and attach /root/Xorg.0.log here.
This is required to find out, why the 173 driver does not work for you.

Mark

davesurrey

#92 Post by davesurrey »

Hello Mark,
xorg.log file (selecting 96) attached.
HTH
Dave :)
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.tar.bz2
(2.5 KiB) Downloaded 345 times

tlchost

Re: screenshot

#93 Post by tlchost »

techtype wrote:Here is my latest look with your new icons and themes:
Which theme did you use to show the drive icons on the desktop?

Thanks

tlchost

Automount

#94 Post by tlchost »

Should the usb bootable version automount all drives?

It appears that only the usb drive is auto-mounted. Not sure if I changed anything, or if it's normal for the auto-mount not to function with a USB bootable.

Thanks for any help

Thom

MU

Re: Automount

#95 Post by MU »

tlchost wrote:Should the usb bootable version automount all drives?
It appears that only the usb drive is auto-mounted. Not sure if I changed anything, or if it's normal for the auto-mount not to function with a USB bootable.
Thanks for any help
Thom
I did not heck it with bootable usb-drives.
I just use non bootable usb-harddisks, that get mounted.
It basically will mount all drives you see with:
fdisk -l
or
muppyfinddisks -m

----------------------
I updated the nvidia173 pet, now the menu entries in xorgwizard should work as expected.

Now I will have a look at Daves logfiles.
Mark