Newyearspup 02 Micro, Mini, Midi, and Maxi RC10

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

#46 Post by MU »

The problem Lobster described (tuxracer), can be fixed like this (I hope):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 303#269303

That also should fix other "weird" behaviour.

The grey deskicons can be fixed by installing this pet:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=14471

Concerning other issues mentioned here, I found no results yet.
I will upload the current version including these and other small fixes as "final" on sunday, as I start my Java course on monday, and then have less time to add upgrades.
I will just be able to update things on weekends then.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

davesurrey

#47 Post by davesurrey »

Hi MU,
I downloaded Newyearpup (maxi version) a few hours ago and already it seems like an extremely impressive addition to Puppy. In fact I believe it’s the most impressive one I’ve seen so far. Congratulations and many thanks for all the hard work you and Wow have put into this.

I don’t know if it will help you but I had a few problems installing it.

1. I tried to do a Full install to a PC (AMD Athlon 1900, 1GB Ram, 2x PATA HDD.) Did puppy pix=ram and it was very very slow (several minutes) loading to ram. Have done many (>100) loads with puppy, debian, fedora etc and never had to wait this long.
2. Ran the Universal Installer and got an error message that sdb9 (where it was being installed) was already mounted. Unmounted it, but again it was a long install. Not helped by the fact that there were times when there was no confirmation anything was happening (the installer screen disappeared) except for the CPU and Ram indicators (CPU at 100%.)
3. When installed I rebooted (without saving any save file of course) and after detecting my swap partition (2GB) it gave “Waiting for modules to complete loading..usb..1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

davesurrey

#48 Post by davesurrey »

MU,
Decided to split my posts.

Some additional observations, which may or may not be relevant.
Same PC and install, with NYPup-02-maxi.

1. the large RAM and CPU indicators go Red if low usage and Green for high usage. This seems the wrong way around. I think it’s more intuitive Red for danger, Green for okay.
2. Like Sage the network wizard detected my Lan as eth1 (not eth0); all other distros on this m/c see it as eth0.
3. I also agree with Sage that nvidia 96xx driver are important. No use with just nv. But I see you will be adding those. Thanks
4. My install put the large Application Penguin (left hand corner) over the bottom desktop icon. It put the Black clock over the Blue clock and when I try to adjust the size of the Black clock it disappears. And if I delete the Blue clock it reappears after a reboot.
5. The Cairo-Dock icon doesn’t seem to do anything.
6. Sorry but I agree with Sage (again). I hate that mouse cursor.
7. It would be nice if the final version had a little explanation as to what the various modes are best for in the “Select graficsdriver

MU

#49 Post by MU »

[quote]3. When installed I rebooted (without saving any save file of course) and after detecting my swap partition (2GB) it gave “Waiting for modules to complete loading..usb..1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

#50 Post by MU »

4. My install put the large Application Penguin (left hand corner) over the bottom desktop icon. It put the Black clock over the Blue clock and when I try to adjust the size of the Black clock it disappears. And if I delete the Blue clock it reappears after a reboot.
You can deactivate the blue clock too in the desktop options.

To resize the dark clock, right click it - configure this applet.
There you can adjust the size with sliders.

Mark

davesurrey

#51 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Mark,
Seems it's a long night for both of us!!!

Many many thanks for your help. Sorry I didn't find where some of these adjustments are but I've only been playing with this a few hours.

JFYI
I ran your deskicon.pet and made the changes to /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin and the central icons are now fixed and several other "strange" icon related probs have gone away.

There are still a few icons missing in the menus but that's not so important.

Also I still get the "/ already mounted " message but again it's not causing any probs.

All in all I'm just loving this. Fantastic work.

Now both my black and blue clocks are saying "Get to Bed". Maybe yours are too??

Thanks again
Dave

techtype

Cursor

#52 Post by techtype »

Mark,

I agree that the cursor needs to be improved. Even recoloring to white would be an improvement.

aarf

#53 Post by aarf »

Code: Select all

# wget -c --user=puppy --password=linux http://www.puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/Newyearspup02/Iso-Micro-release-candidate/NewyearspupMU-02-micro-rc1.iso

davesurrey

#54 Post by davesurrey »

@aarf
By which I assume there's an RC version just out in which it's "fixed" ???
Downloading the maxi version now and will try.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Mark really does work fast!
Dave

davesurrey

#55 Post by davesurrey »

@aarf
A little off-topic (but just a little) but I just saw that you have Ripple working with a Eee-701. (I have the same netbook.)

Could you let us know how Ripple and NYPup compare in real world terms (ie not just feature list) and especially if you have them running on the Eee.

Would be very interesting to hear your experience, although I know they are not like-for-like.

(don't want to derail this thread but don't want to miss the opportunity whilst I have your attention...)
Cheers
Dave

MU

#56 Post by MU »

yes, the releasecandidate is available.
You can choose 4 cursors in the desktop-options, or if you need more:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=267188

Please be aware:
it is an RC, although I know that there are issues to be solved.
But some like the remaster prolems will take several days to be solved.
As I don't have this time at moment, version 02 will be "as is", with open issues.
I hope I can fix those within the next 3 months for version 03.

I fixed several points though.
For me, the system is fine, as I don't run it as some other users, e.g. multisession-CD.

Please report again bugs you find (may just be a reference to older messages), so that I have a "compact" list of open issues.

This release includes the Nvidia 96 drivers in addition to the 177.
But as I have no matching card, I do not know, if they work.
See here at bottom, over the 71 drivers, which cards are supported by this.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... dix-a.html
The 71 drivers definately do not work with Xorg 7.4, so users of the prehistoric Geforce 2 GTS (great card) should use Puppy 4.12 or one of the deriving systems.
A downside for this is, that now the Nvidia-drivers will use 25 MB in your savefile.
In the beta, I was able, to have them in the read-only filesystem.
But now, we have 2 drivers using files with equal filenames. So they can no longer be in the read-only filesystem, instead, they are extracted by the modified xorgwizard.

If you shutdown the first time (to create the savefile), there is a 10 second delay (with infotext, that you must wait).
I encountered still a bug sometimes, that the dialogboxes did not work, they were interrupted by something.
I *think* this might be caused by backgroundprocesses that had no time to shut down. But I am not certain, this part is still "testing".
If you want to be on the safe side, reboot after you got the desktop, and do not start own programs, or play around with all the options.
Reboot, create the savefile, then examine everything :)

Depending on what quickly solvable bugs might be found, the Final version on sunday might have slight changes, or be identical with the RC.

I also uploaded a Java development sfs, with the Enterprise Software Development Kit, Eclipse and 2 german online-books (so you can read them offline). This is 360 MB, and NOT a "Java" for endusers, who need Java to show applets in Seamonkey.
I just added it, as I will learn programming Java in the next 2 Months.

Mark

techtype

Looking Good!!

#57 Post by techtype »

I'm running with the mini-rc1 right now. Thanks for the cursors! Everything is working very well so far. All your debugging is being rewarded in a very, very nice pup!! Something you did with the nvidia drivers allows me to run flash videos full screen for the first time in any pup. Nice job!!

MU

Re: Looking Good!!

#58 Post by MU »

techtype wrote:I'm running with the mini-rc1 right now. Thanks for the cursors! Everything is working very well so far. All your debugging is being rewarded in a very, very nice pup!! Something you did with the nvidia drivers allows me to run flash videos full screen for the first time in any pup. Nice job!!
Mini or Midi?
The Nvidia-drivers are in Midi, not in Mini.
So I think you use the free "nv" driver. Ok, too, just has no 3D support.

I think this will be one of the enhancements of xorg 7.4.
In Muppys cf-wizard (Xorg 7.2), I had to use such a command to run the tool, that generates xorg.conf for nvidia:
nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --allow-glx-with-composite --disable-glx-root-clipping --render-accel --composite --depth=24

You also needed an extra section for composite.
And the new technologies like glx and composite were partially incompatible, so some people used more than one xorg.conf.
Compiz OR games. Video OR some 3D stuff. At least I had these issues with Ati in the past, and I think I had read of similar problems with nvidia.
All this is no longer required.
The xorgwizard-wrapper I use now, only needs:
nvidia-xconfig
The rest is detected/set up automatically :)
Mark

aarf

#59 Post by aarf »

davesurrey wrote:@aarf
A little off-topic (but just a little) but I just saw that you have Ripple working with a Eee-701. (I have the same netbook.)

Could you let us know how Ripple and NYPup compare in real world terms (ie not just feature list) and especially if you have them running on the Eee.

Would be very interesting to hear your experience, although I know they are not like-for-like.

(don't want to derail this thread but don't want to miss the opportunity whilst I have your attention...)
Cheers
Dave
ok lets be blunt with only a quick look at newyearspup and extensive use of ripple.
For eeePC 701 laptops, ripple 06.3 is far ahead of the current NewyearspupMU-02-micro-rc1.
Out of the box, these are the points:
battery monitor
touchscreen click that works
compriz-fusion,emerald manager in ripple
cairo dock in ripple is much more impressive
weather just works in ripple
pwireless scanner in ripple is the easiest way to get a wifi connection
access to all 4.1.1 menu items.

was looking for wine to see if it will run PCsuite to download images from my phone but cant see that wine is in micro.
Last edited by aarf on Sat 31 Jan 2009, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#60 Post by Sage »

Since Mark was kind enough to put up the RC s, I decided to look at the live 'micro' version - potentially the most interesting and valuable one - again.
Confirms, as per the entire suite, they are very, very slow to boot up, even with 640Mb main. I can now get a picture on my GeF2 card with plain 'startx', but...
there is massive swapping out to disc
there is much redrawing of the desktop and a restart needed, even selecting all defaults
message boxes litter the screen
in short, needs a lot of tidying - wish I could help!
The firewall and network functions should be in 'System' not 'Preferences', surely?
Using the OOo icons for Abiword and Calc(not functioning) in this 'micro' version.
eth1 persists instead of eth0
Thanks for Netsurf.
If the .iso inventory could be reduced, this could be a big winner. But it's pretty good already. Well worth a lot of further development.
Thanks again, Mark.

Noted that 'aarf' is spoiling the ship by failing to truncate his quote. Not all of us are viewing this on a 105" plasma monitor. Please can someone help him.

techtype

Re: Looking Good!!

#61 Post by techtype »

MU wrote: Mini or Midi?
The Nvidia-drivers are in Midi, not in Mini.
So I think you use the free "nv" driver. Ok, too, just has no 3D support.

I think this will be one of the enhancements of xorg 7.4.
In Muppys cf-wizard (Xorg 7.2), I had to use such a command to run the tool, that generates xorg.conf for nvidia:
nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --allow-glx-with-composite --disable-glx-root-clipping --render-accel --composite --depth=24

You also needed an extra section for composite.
And the new technologies like glx and composite were partially incompatible, so some people used more than one xorg.conf.
Compiz OR games. Video OR some 3D stuff. At least I had these issues with Ati in the past, and I think I had read of similar problems with nvidia.
All this is no longer required.
The xorgwizard-wrapper I use now, only needs:
nvidia-xconfig
The rest is detected/set up automatically :)
Mark
It is the mini.
Ah, well what happened was by combining your new rc1 with my older save file, I lost the nvidia driver and reverted to vesa. This actually worked well enough to fool me for a while although I noticed it was a little slower. How interesting that full screen video works with vesa!

Fishy

Maxi RC1

#62 Post by Fishy »

I had no problems with the install of the intital Newyearspup but RC1 Maxi will not install properly. I tried changing the files from RC1 into my Muppy411 folder but then the mouse would only move vertically on the screen and it appeared to be moving rapidly non-stop from screen one to two.

Booting from dvd with pfix=ram created the same problem. Md5sum checked out properly. Writing this from the original Newyearspup live CD. which I will re-install frugally.

A full install of mini RC1 worked but insisted on saying / was already installed but otherwise seemed to work. Replaced it with NOP 412 but will keep Newyearspup on another partition and keep plugging away.

I would like to get the desktop cleared of a lot of the applets/programs as it is a bit too busy for my liking.

E2180 processor, 4 gig memory, 8800 series video card.

Thanks MU :D

davesurrey

#63 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Mu,
You asked for feedback on RC1 so here goes:

This is a Full install on a K7S5A mobo, SiS chipset, Athlon 1900XP,
1GB ram, 2x PATA HDDs, nvidia GeForce4 MX440 graphics, broadcom 4306 wifi. Using openbox+ cairo.

1. on booting still get "Waiting for modules to complete loading" and it counts to 10. After rebooting if the x server has crashed it now goes to 15.

2.still get the “/ is used already…refusing to mount on it" message on rebooting but seems to cause no issues.

3.Cairo dock icon now seems to refresh the desktop. Didn't work for me previously.

4.Thanks for giving a choice of cursors.

5. won't recognise my wifi pci.

6. the fat penguin (application starter) and the 2 CPU and RAM "battery" icons are badly positioned on start up. Or is it that Conky and the lowest app icon are set too low. Also the clocks are on top of each other.

7. changing icon set just seemed to be very hit and miss as to what it did. What is "Reload desktop" doing? Is it resetting the x server or the desktop?

8. I noticed Enlightenment is no longer on the choice of desktops.

9. there are several icons missing from the menu. eg nothing for Adobe under Accessories.

10. the menu structure seems to need some rationalisation. For example Network Wizard is in Administration using the Penguin, but under Preferences, not even Network, using the top left corner panel icon.

11. I'd love to learn how to declutter the desktop. still getting to grips with how this is structured.

12. The "battery" type icons for CPU nd RAM still have what I view as illogcal colours ie red for okay, green for nearing danger. can't see how to change them.

13. still recognises my LAN as eth1 not eth0. As a result can't use Netspeed on Cairo. It says "eth0 does not exist"

14. can't get compiz to work (it works under several other distros on this same PC). I think this and perhaps other issues are to do with setting up the graphics drivers which seems to be the area I am having most trouble with. Perhaps it's my fault as I am still not too sure how to use "Select Graficsdriver" for my particular board.

Again Mark, thank you and Wow for all your hard work for this exceptional distro. I hope the above may help you make some small improvements.

Dave

MU

#64 Post by MU »

1. on booting still get "Waiting for modules to complete loading" and it counts to 10. After rebooting if the x server has crashed it now goes to 15.
Ok, I will check that this week.
2.still get the “/ is used already…refusing to mount on it" message on rebooting but seems to cause no issues.
I have no idea, what causes this message.
3.Cairo dock icon now seems to refresh the desktop. Didn't work for me previously.
It should just start cairo-dock on desktops, where it is not started by default.
6. the fat penguin (application starter) and the 2 CPU and RAM "battery" icons are badly positioned on start up. Or is it that Conky and the lowest app icon are set too low. Also the clocks are on top of each other.
This is difficult to set up as default for the different resolutions, that people use.
7. changing icon set just seemed to be very hit and miss as to what it did. What is "Reload desktop" doing? Is it resetting the x server or the desktop?
Can you explain the icons issue more detailed, please?
The "refresh desktop" restarts pcmanfm, this is required on slower computers, when the background picture of the desktop and that from conky do not have the same position because of timing problems.
8. I noticed Enlightenment is no longer on the choice of desktops.
Oh right, I'll add it to servicepack 1.
9. there are several icons missing from the menu. eg nothing for Adobe under Accessories.
ok, check it this week.
10. the menu structure seems to need some rationalisation. For example Network Wizard is in Administration using the Penguin, but under Preferences, not even Network, using the top left corner panel icon.
Yes, both menusystems handle categories differently.
This would require to overwork the "Categories" entry in each desktop file in /usr/share/applications. Multiple categories had to be reduced to one.
I'm not certain, when I have time for that.
11. I'd love to learn how to declutter the desktop. still getting to grips with how this is structured.
You basically can delete each unwanted icon with a right-click.
The small "deskicons" (those without text beneath) also can be moved by dragging them to a desired position.
What else would you like to do?
12. The "battery" type icons for CPU nd RAM still have what I view as illogcal colours ie red for okay, green for nearing danger. can't see how to change them.
I think, that is hardcoded, and may not be changed.
13. still recognises my LAN as eth1 not eth0. As a result can't use Netspeed on Cairo. It says "eth0 does not exist"
I don't know the reason for this, for me too, it is eth1.
14. can't get compiz to work (it works under several other distros on this same PC). I think this and perhaps other issues are to do with setting up the graphics drivers which seems to be the area I am having most trouble with. Perhaps it's my fault as I am still not too sure how to use "Select Graficsdriver" for my particular board.
For the MX440, you would choose the "Nvidia - old cards" in xorgwizard.
As I cannot test that driver myself (no matching card), I don't know, if it works with xorg 7.4. It uses the Nvidia driver 96.43.09, and it wa not clear, if it included already the fixes needed for xorg 7.4.
If you use another driver like "nv" or "vesa", you will have no 3D support, so compiz will not work.
Which driver did you choose?
You can zip and attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log, so that I can see, what driver you use.
Simply type in a console:
gzip /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Then attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log.gz here.

-------------------------
Many thanks for the detailed feedback.
I attach a small "servicepack".
It adds the missing button to run Enlightenment, and upgrades the deskicons to the latest version.
--------------------------
I do not release a "final" version this weekend, as the changes would be too minor.
I will see, what I can solve until next weekend, maybe then.
I tried to build a new version with latest Ati driver 9.1, but it required to recompile the kernel, what makes it incompatible with wows.
I also had a severe crash then, and found several reports of similar issues.
The only advantage of the driver would be video-support in compiz, so I decided not to add such drastic changes.
But for version 03 of newyearspup, this changed kernel will be used (if we don't even use a newer kernel then anyway, like 2.6.29), then I may add the Ati catalyst 9.3 driver or so.

Get Servicepack2 here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 802#274802

Mark
Last edited by MU on Sat 14 Feb 2009, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

davesurrey

#65 Post by davesurrey »

Hello Mark,
Once more thank you for your efforts in responding to what I have reported so far.
I know your time will now be very limited whilst you are on your course and I know that several of my points are not “killers
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.tar.bz2
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 370 times