Newyearspup 02 Micro, Mini, Midi, and Maxi RC10

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
vtpup

#435 Post by vtpup »

Well, This may become my main pup on the Thinkpad T43.

It is basically the latest kernel Puppy that will run ATI Catalyst 9.3, which is the last driver set that ATI produced to cover legacy Radeon boards. Later kernels and later ATI Catalyst versions will not work with a large number of IBM Thinkpads, or probably a lot of other laptops as well.

In fact many earlier versions of the Catalyst driver ALSO don't work with these boards. Apparently some time around version 9.3, ATI decided to support legacy graphics chips, and then abandoned them again.

The T43 and many other Thinkpads used these boards as standard. The Thinkpads in the past therefore have had great difficulty with hardware graphics acceleration in Puppy Linux. This was an impossible problem when running Wine graphic intensive apps like CADs,, games, and simulations. Basically most graphic accelerated stuff crashed on these Thinkpads. Frustrating because that stuff all works on the same computer in Windows XP if you dual boot.

But I finally came across this ATI driver package this week, and MU's New Years Puppy which supports it very well. This puplet is a real life saver for this laptop, and I bet a lot of others using ATI boards. Though I bet most owners don't realize it and put up with a limited graphics capability.

Anyway this pup works great on the T43, and I can now run several CADs, and Google Sketchup (which see) in wine.

I happen to be a meat and potatoes Bary Kauler Puppy Linux user, with no interest in eye candy so I initially had a hard time with this admittedly good looking desktop. But for me everything worked differently, was in a different place than I was used , etc, and that made it feel clumsy and frustrating. I probably wouldn't have felt that way if I'd come to it fresh. But 3 years of using standard puppies made for inflexible habits.

However once I discovered how to restore JWM through the shutdown dialog MU has created, and get drive icons back on the desktop, add Seamonkey, and get ROX back as the main file manager, etc. I started to feel right at home again, and my working speed picked back up. I did keep the wallpaper and a few things, so it still looks new to me.

I had slow download capabilities, and I wanted a pretty stripped down version to build back up with only the things I use. I've had good luck so far. But a couple thngs aren't working well.

I can't find a gtkam/gphoto .pet, and I haven't been able to get a couple different mplayers to work.

I'd appreciate any help in finding .pets for these that will work with this puplet on the Thinkpad.

Thanks again MU for this puplet. I think it should be better known. Looks like it is the best (and only) possible choice for a Thinkpad of this era.

cthisbear

#436 Post by cthisbear »

MU...well missed and a terrific bloke.

Talented, no cockiness....but had the smarts.

Gracious and helpful.

""""""""""

vtpup...

seeing this was an old thread, can you post the recent links
for this Puplet, so that other IBM owners can test it.

Thanks mate.....Chris.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#437 Post by Béèm »

The puppy google search (see puppysearch in my sig) will find it in seconds I suppose.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

vtpup

#438 Post by vtpup »

cthisbear wrote:MU...well missed and a terrific bloke.

Talented, no cockiness....but had the smarts.

Gracious and helpful.

""""""""""

vtpup...

seeing this was an old thread, can you post the recent links
for this Puplet, so that other IBM owners can test it.

Thanks mate.....Chris.
Mark is gone?!!!!
ohno!
He helped me so much, and so many others.
Thank you Mark for all you have done.

Here's the link to the various sizes of NewYearsPuppy. I actually had a hard time finding it again through Google and well minded search, because there are so many other peripheral references to it.

http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/Newyearspup02/

Note, the versions are called Micro, Mini, Midi, and Macro. Each one has more apps than the last.

The micro and mini versions don't have the ATI driver on-board but all the necessary stuff is there for adding it from the ati-catalyst-9-3K2.6.28.5.pet that MU also put together.

ati-catalyst-9-3K2.6.28.5.pet

The midi and macro versions already have the ATI driver in place.

(Note, when adding the drivers to micro or mini versions DON'T use the later kernel pet -- ati-catalyst-9.3-K2.6.29.6-puppy4.3beta1.pet -- that one won't work with NewYearsPuppy)

vtpup

#439 Post by vtpup »

Just an update. The Mplayers I tried all worked after all, I needed to change the video settings to x11/shm, direct rendering, double buffering. (They also worked with GL2 but the playback was choppy) They didn't work with xv, as originally configured.

Also gtkam, gphoto2 ffom a thread posted by Aragon for 4.3.1 were located and installed and they worked, even though not previously tested against 4.1.1 (NewYearsPuppy).

So now, I seem to have everything I generally used in 4.3.2 v3 test, and can switch over to NewYearsPuppy as my main distro, with full graphics acceleration on the Thinkpad T43. Great! Thank you Mark.

vtpup

#440 Post by vtpup »

Everything has been working great with Newyearspup, on the Thinkpad T43 including Google Sketchup, CADs and other graphics intensive programs that accelerated hardware render on this laptop, until an automatic upgrade to Seamonkey 2.4 caused that program to stop working. Earlier versions worked fine.

When I try to run Seamonkey from terminal I now get:

Code: Select all

# ./seamonkey

./seamonkey-bin: /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/Seamonkey/seamonkey/libxul.so)
As you can see above, the Seamonkey directory is located in /mnt/home and is shared by other puplets. It does work from 4.3.2 test

Any help solving this would be appreciated.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

vtpup

#441 Post by vtpup »

Seamonkey problem solved.

Nothing to do with Newyearspup.

Turns out that Adobe Acrobat had substituted its own links for the existing puppy libgcc ones in /usr/lib. This has been a problem for me in other puplets as well. I don't understand why, or when, it does this.

Anyway, the solution was to replace libgcc links with correct ones again. Seamonkey then started as usual.

Opening another thread for the Adobe Acrobat issue elsewhere.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

Pelo

2015 : mini 95MB Newyearspup

#442 Post by Pelo »

Nice. DO it again, restore it with new kernel but keep desktop. I am charmed (cpu get hot).
Acer aspire 1640 (2004)