Newyearspup 02 Micro, Mini, Midi, and Maxi RC10

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nrw

#16 Post by nrw »

Hello,
I am a fan of Puppy and until recently the version 2.14 of CD used.
A super fast Linux.
Now I built myself a new computer.
Asrock790GX with a AMD 4850e.
My old Puppy CD does not function now any longer.
Than I found the ingenious NewyearspupMU-midi-02.
Runs since today, exactly 1,5 hr. without problems on my computer.

A giant thanks at MU

MfG
nrw

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

Thanks for that additional info, Mark. I was unable to run Maxi in 640Mb - overkill^2!
On the one hand, none of my old junk is now running on cpu <1Gb and I can usually scrape up 256 of SDRAM, too. Actually, with a SktA board, that is all you need to run any distro except the four majors; even they can be downsized. Having said that 'run' needs qualification. Leaving aside gamers, who really should be using a Wii or a PS/3, Compiz isn't actually useful in the productivity sense, just a hobbyists' fun thing. That leaves architects, artists and their kin, who really ought to save up their pennies and do it properly with a Sparkstation. Multicore only makes chipmakers richer.
Carry on Regardless...

Jim1911

#18 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

Thank you for these great new releases. So far, it works fine (Midi), although I am still having problems with the sound not working, and installing the right driver for my printer. Xsane works fine. As for sound, Alsa Configation from the menu doesn't work.

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: All in one printer is working fine(including scanning) thanks to lluamco's update of hpliplite and hplip to version 2.8.12 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27519 and your inclusion of Xsane.

Sound is now working :D . Although the ALSA sound wizard does not work, exiting the desktop to the xprompt, then alsaconf works and installs the proper sound driver.
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sun 25 Jan 2009, 19:19, edited 3 times in total.

tlchost

Re: Newyearspup 02 Mini, Midi, and Maxi beta

#19 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote:you can see a screenshot here:

http://puppylinux.org/home/screenshots/newyearspup
Impressive looking...and my daughter with the MAC will laugh about the icons at the bottom of the screen that act like hers(which I find distracting and "eye-candy-ish").

Some obervations:

Positive-
1. My intel soundcard detected automatically
2. Opera and Firefox installed
3. At last, a CUPS version that allows me to install my Laser4Plus on usb port!
4. Open Office and other productivity tools installed

Negative
1. The icons for the drives no longer visable on desktop....so I have to take extra step(s) to open a drive and a directory
2. No preset audio program for browser to use to play music files from
web pages
3. I can no longer click on a windows program on my pen drive and have
it run under wine as they did in Muppy-minisys.

Questionable
I tried to remaster a LiveCD after adding LOTs of bash scripts in root and setting my locale.....when I rebooted from a remastered DVD none of those settings were there. In older versions installing Dougals remaster script solved that problem....it was included in Muppy-Minisys

Would appreciate some help in solving the above issues.

Thanks

Thom

MU

#20 Post by MU »

Thom,
can you install Dougals script from a pet? (give us a link please).
If that works, I can add it.
Or should I search it in my Muppybuild?

Wait... found it... ok, it must be patched again, replace "zmsy" with "zdrv" and "msy" with "pup".
I attach the patched version.
It should be in the menu, or type:
pupremaster.sh

Please let us know if it works, I did not try it myself.

The other issues I will try to solve for the final.

In which program do you click on it?
Rox-filer, Pcmanfm or Muppyfiler?

Mark
Attachments
Remaster-puppy.pet
(10.22 KiB) Downloaded 676 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

#21 Post by MU »

I added a Micro version of Newyearspup, it is 92 MB only!

There also is a folder "addons", that ontains the SFS files, to succesively extend Micro to Mini.
There you see, what was removed.

Concerning locale, I just removed the translations of programs (except en and de), but the Glibc locale of ALL countries still are included.
They make up just 2 MB compressed, and allow you to set your countries language, so that newly installed programs and the menus show your custom language.
Just some included files like sylpheed now miss the translation. so if you want those, install the Locale SFS.

Note, that the Xsane sfs depends on Gimp.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Dingo

#22 Post by Dingo »

Tried Mini, but for my Old Pc (Pentium III, 1Ghz - 655 MB RAM) it runs slow, in addition to this, due to lzm compression, it takes many time to boot. Are you planning a retro version?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

MU

#23 Post by MU »

Dingo, see my reply to sage to deactivate xcompmgr.
Without shadows, it also ran fine on my Notebook, a Pentium III 800 with 256 MB.
At least version 01, and there were no significient changes concerning speed.

lzma should not take long.
Compared to Puppy, it just needs a bit longer to set up udev.
But I will check it again in the next days on my notebook.

Aretro version is not planned, it would make too much work to upgrade the addons too, like devx and the nvidia/ati pets.
In february I start a 2 months course in Java, which is like a fulltime job.
So I want to fix issues from the beta, but add nothing new.

Mark

Dingo

#24 Post by Dingo »

Maybe lzma issue on my desktop pc depends from mainboard? ASUS CUV 4X-VM
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Fishy

Updateing to Opera10

#25 Post by Fishy »

HI MU, sorry to be a bother but I am still learning to use a frugal Install. I have tried three or four times now to install Opera10 and have only managed to kill the existing Opera installation. I have tried the pet install as well as the opera10.sfs but only manage get to a re-install Newyearspup solution. :lol:

I have upgraded Opera in the past in a full install but damned if I know what I am screwing up. :oops: I would like to keep the plugins that you have installed as 9.63 is working well but 10 is much faster in opening up gmail, facebook etc.

Opera:config is not functioning in 9.63 and the Opera Forums are not particularly helpful in how to correct the problem. I would like to get in and change the torrent settings.

Cheers

Having a great time with 02, lots of neat stuff that will keep me amused for weeks, thanks again for all the effort invested. :D

tlchost

#26 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: Wait... found it... ok, it must be patched again, replace "zmsy" with "zdrv" and "msy" with "pup".
I attach the patched version.
It should be in the menu, or type:
pupremaster.sh

Please let us know if it works, I did not try it myself.

{/quote]
Downloaded twice...systems says package is corrupt....extracted the script in /root/packages it has the same description in the menu as the first one...but it doesn't run at all.

MU wrote: In which program do you click on it?
Rox-filer, Pcmanfm or Muppyfiler?
In the Muppy-minisys distros....one simply had to click on the icon for the windows application to get it to run...not so with this version

Thom

MU

#27 Post by MU »

Thom,
I just downloaded remasterpup, and petget installed it fine.
You also can try to extract it by hand:
tar -xzvf Remaster-puppy.pet
cd Remaster-puppy/usr/sbin
./pupremaster.sh

Wine:
For me, it works to click on the files.
Can you run them from console?

like:
cd /mnt/sdb1/programs
wine "test.exe"

Concerning the clicks, I need to know, if you use rox-filer.
- The window with the icons, in which you clickk on your Windows-program.
Does it have a menubar, with a menu "help", and if you click there on "info", it shows "pcmanfm"?
- or has it no menu, only a symbol for "help", and if you click on that, you see the help documents for rox?

Rox and Pcmanfm use a different mechanism to start files, so I need to know, which one does not work for you.

Mark

MU

Re: Updateing to Opera10

#28 Post by MU »

Fishy wrote:HI MU, sorry to be a bother but I am still learning to use a frugal Install. I have tried three or four times now to install Opera10 and have only managed to kill the existing Opera installation. D
quick solution:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06 ... 02_411.sfs

general solution:
I always install Opera to /usr.
So testversions can be installed to /usr/local

Download and extract to a temporary folder from the Opera homepage
opera-10.00-4102.gcc4-shared-qt3.i386.tar.gz
Or a newer one, important is gcc4-shared-qt3.i386.

Open a console in that folder.
Type:
./install.sh

It asks where to install, type:
/usr/local
When it asks to overwrite /etc, say "n".
To run it, click on /usr/local/bin/Opera.
Or make a copy of /root/Desktop/opera.desktop, and change in an editor the line "Exec=" to /usr/local/bin/opera.

Like this you can use BOTH versions, 9.63 and 10alpha.

If you do not want to risk to break your old settings, backup /root/.opera before you run version 10.

Mark

Sage

#29 Post by Sage »

OK, shadows weren't a particular problem on my systems, but certainly removing them speeded things up a lot.
I am wondering if there's some confusion about the speed issue. It's the boot-up speed which is exceedingly slow - slower than almost anything I've experienced, even with live versions of the majors. I have no understanding about all this, but, subjectively, it would seem that there are some radical hold-ups possibly capable of some attention?

There are two further niggles, apart, Mark, from your postings violating the sizing rules on this board!
Firstly, that appalling cursor arrow shaded in with gray, introduced by wow in UP - surely the hollow arrow should be the default?
More seriously, and perhaps pertaining to my cheeky stab at Mark, above, I believe developers might make 800x600 on a crt their default resolution/HW for all development. We've discussed this endlessly - it's not just that most of the world does NOT possess a nice 19" TFT monitor, but half of those that do are retirees with poor eyesight! Spare a thought for the silver surfer, one of the largest group of PC users. It's important to make 800x600 as default during development because there are always problems with screen overflow, misplaced icons & messages, etc when dropping from 1280x768, native for TFT, but the reverse is rarely true. Bear in mind that not so long ago BK was considering whether 640x480 should be retained as the default standard to cater for the vast numbers of lo res. 14" monitors still in use.
One curious effect I am finding on all versions, including the micro, is that the HD light flashes incessantly, suggesting that swap is being accessed a lot on a drive containing a separate distro that I didn't bother to disconnect? Obviously, this can be checked out later, but comments would be welcome in the meantime.
Last edited by Sage on Sun 25 Jan 2009, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.

puppyiso

using torrent

#30 Post by puppyiso »

Unable to download. I hope someone put this on torrent such as tuxtorrent.

It would be such a waste if not shared widely.

MU

#31 Post by MU »

Sage,
at what point is it so slow?
What was the last line written to the screen?

You may try to replace initrd.gz with this one, it has a modification in checking for usb-storage:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06 ... /initrd.gz

This could decrease the time, when it counts up to 10 slowly.
But I am not certain, if this will not work on certain setups.

Mark

Sage

#32 Post by Sage »

'Micro' is the real blockbuster here. Marvellous.
Although I am a great fan of Dillo, there were some issues. I could only access the Web once with it before a restart was required. Also, on the Opera site with Dillo, I could only see the .exe download for v.10 - it refused to put me through to their full directory (I had to install Firefox to get at it!!). Maybe Netsurf would be better as default in Micro - what's the damage sizewise to the .iso? Too soon to investigate all these features in detail.

Sage

#33 Post by Sage »

at what point is it so slow?
Sorry - it's the copying to ram that's so slow with all versions. Neither my cpu nor ram is 'slow' nor 'insufficient' on this test rig.

MU

#34 Post by MU »

Sage wrote: One curious effect I am finding on all versions, including the micro, is that the HD light flashes incessantly, suggesting that swap is being accessed a lot on a drive containing a separate distro that I didn't bother to disconnect? Obviously, this can be checked out later, but comments would be welcome in the meantime.
Please right click one of the desktopicons without text, and choose "configure this icon".
Then close leafpad, so that it restarts.
Does that cure this issue?

If not: right-click - exit deskicons.
Does it solve that?
I have problems with the deskicons ramdisk the first time they start, that might be the cause of your problem.

Mark

MU

Re: using torrent

#35 Post by MU »

puppyiso wrote:Unable to download. I hope someone put this on torrent such as tuxtorrent.

It would be such a waste if not shared widely.
Please try here:
http://puppyfiles.ca/puppyisos/isos/200 ... earspup02/

The files there are not identical with the mainserver, as I had to rebuild them all, to integrate the "micro".
They should have the same functionality, but I did not boot yet with them, so try it at own risk.
The Maxi is not available yet there, as I have trouble to upload it.
Mark