Newyearspup 02 Micro, Mini, Midi, and Maxi RC10

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
davesurrey

#136 Post by davesurrey »

Sage,
I believe Mark is refering to
which can be found 5 posts up from here on this thread.
Dave

tlchost

#137 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: For now, only a small update:
Version 02 Release Candidate 3:
When remastering it does write to ntfs partitition.

Still, remastered LiveCD only saves three times....then no offer to save and message "session not saved".

It does this on my Dell Desktop, Acer laptop, and with different brands of media.

Thom

wow

#138 Post by wow »

Hello MU, I'm testing your RC3 and found few things that can be improved in future versions.
xkbconfigmanager compatibility with older xorg.conf file
  • XkbApplyNow in .xinitrc is useless, xorgwizard(newyearspupMU-02rc3) can't create an xkbconfigmanager compatible xorg.conf file
    Error message: "Your xorg.conf file does not contain any XkbLayout options"
    It's OK for Xorg-7.4(with autoconfiguration enabled) because keyboard layouts are now defined by HAL (in this puplet: /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi)

Code: Select all

<merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">keyboard</merge>
          <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name"
                 string="Linux">
            <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">evdev</merge>
          </match>

<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">us</merge>
          <merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string" />
    But, how to change/add keyboard layout?
    1. Using a tool for it. I haven't found any utility that can work with evdev and Xorg-7.4 (it reads rules from "/etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg" instead of "...rules/evdev"), I haven't tested if removing these symlinks:
    /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg
    /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst
    /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.xml
    and create new ones pointing to evdev, evdev.lst, evdev.xml might do the trick. I'm using an old style xorg.conf file, so xkbconfigmanager works just fine.
    2. Using setxkbmap. Example: setxkbmap -layout es,us -rules evdev -v
Font size
  • Fonts are too big in some GTK applications (rox, pcmanfm, abiword, etc.) and smaller on others like firefox, this can be fixed if you remove these lines from ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file:

Code: Select all

style "user-font"
    {
      font_name="Sans 12"
    }
    And use 'lxde-settings' (a settings manager like xfce-mcs-manager or gnome-settings-daemon) with lxappearance(instead of MU-Gtktheme) to manage fonts, gtk-themes and icon-themes.
mimeinfo.cache needs to be updated
  • Run 'update-desktop-database' and copy the new /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache to the ISO to make new applications available in the "Open With" menu.
nVidia proprietary driver for new cards
  • I've been using your "177 driver for GeForce8000.pet" instead of my "177 driver.pet" without problems for weeks, (tested on Geforce7050, Geforce 7200 and Geforce 8400). You can save some MB in the iso removing the "177 driver".
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

CavedOOde

#139 Post by CavedOOde »

Hi There MU, WOW and all others, i am kinda new to puppy (not to linux) and these forums so forgive if i understand some things wrong but here is what i wanted to comment on:

I was under the impression that Newyears pup used the same kernel and modules as WOW's Unnamed pup but i noticed some differences.

The unnamed pup would boot and let me use (kinda odd special) wireless connector Belkin (mod rtl 8180) it connects without 1 problem. same on the Atheros (odd) card in my Compaq CQ60 laptop.

The only puppy that actually booted on the CQ60 standard Vista cradle was the Unnamed and i have yet to test the Newyear. Prolly due to the smp issue...

Newyear pup will also let me use the wireless and scan for networks. The trouble starts when i want to connect to my WPA2 hub. It times out while associating (30 secconds)
I haven't tested on my laptop but only on my main sys, its a amd duall core 5000+ with a Belkin wireless card.

Another issue in Newyear is that Ndiswrapper (although letting me select the xp driver) wont load it gives a msg that it can't continue to load Ndiswrapper.

The rest of the RC3 release really works like a charm, i got Nvidia loaded and running Beryl, SMP works, haven't tested much else since i got stuck on the wireless issue. :(
Great puppy the Newyear (same goes for WOW's Unnamed although much more basic apps)and i really hope i can resolve my wireless, any pointers would be welcome...

Greetz
Caved

MU

#140 Post by MU »

Caved,
yes, the kernel is the same.
So I actually have no idea, why wireless does not work :(

I have created a test iso today with these changes:
- dialog from slackware (with dialog.mo translations)
- xorgwizard localized by esmourguit
- Kernel 2.6.28.5 from wow
- slight changes in xorgwizard to try to deal with the nasty bug of broken "create savefile" dialog. I must run more checks tomorrow to test, if it is solved.
- Ati catalyst 9.2 driver compiles fine with the new kernel

As wow needs to compile mesa, there might not be a new iso tomorrow already.
I tomorrow will check, if all the Nvidia drivers compile.
Depending on how long this takes, I also will try to look at the keyboard issue, and apply the HAL fix.
And I must add "update-mime-database" when a new sfs is loaded and at first boot.

So I can not guarantee, that there will be a new iso tomorrow.
It is more likely, that it will come next weekend.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

CavedOOde

#141 Post by CavedOOde »

Hellos MU,
I was able to check and install on my Compaq CQ60 today, the ath5k for the odd Atheros 5007 (or whatever shady chipset Compaq put into it) works perfectly making this the most advanced puppy that works with the laptop. (and one of the 2 that ever booted on it lol)

I still have issues with the application chooser, it will not let me choose a default app when clicking a music stream or torrent in firefox. It kinda locks up. Guess i will have to set them apps in the Firefox settings myself but would be elegant if it let me choose an app to use on the fly and save the setting up of default apps this way.

This is what i got running atm on both machines:
- smp
- cpu scaling (powernow-k8)
- Nvidia (chipsets 7600GT fanless mainpc, 8200m on laptop)
- Networking (on the laptop, ath5k driver)
- Beryl/Compiz on both

What i still need to figure out and find:
- Corresponding devx package and get a compiling system
up so i can port some apps i can't live without from arch and/or AUR and convert the tar.gz's to puppy pet format. Prolly wise to look into the woof alpha code for this purpose.

I am not a dev by any means (i scrible some in gambas 2 usually) but i might be able to put something together to automate the AUR --> .pet thing.

Great to hear that you work on these bug fixes, will try the new version when its up for DL. Great job!!

Greetz
Caved

MU

#142 Post by MU »

devx to compile applications:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2008-07-to-12 ... 4.4-r1.sfs

Kernel source sfs to compile kernelmodules (for newyearspup until version 02rc3):
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2008-07-to-12 ... 2-2008.sfs

Additional sfs especially made for newyearspup02 can be found here in the "addons" folders:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06/Newyearspup02/

These here are a bit outdated (were made for the first release), but most should work:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2008-07-to-12 ... ons-by-MU/
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2008-07-to-12 ... -by-MU-02/
Most of these are already part as updated versions in the Midi/Maxi version of newyearspup02.

Once the final version of 02 is released, I'll add more updated sfs files to the "Newyearspup02" folder.

Password for all is:
user: puppy
password: linux
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

MU

#143 Post by MU »

AUR, is that a slackware based distro, Austrumi?
You then can use "tgz2pet" to convert their packages.
Note: this method is not usable with "source" tar.gz files, only with binary packages from Slackware compatible systems!

Or extract a tgz to a temporary folder (e.g. using the "unzip" button in Muppyfiler).
This usually creates 3 folders:
etc
install
usr
Then copy "doinst.sh" from "install" one folder up, and execute it.
In Muppy-filer, click on the "shell" button, to open a console in the current folder.
Then type:
bash doinst.sh
It usually generates some required symbolic links.
Now copy "etc" and "usr" to a new folder like "the-application".
Then run:
dir2pet the-application
to create the pet.
Or
dir2sfs the-application
to create a SFS file for large applications.
In Muppy I had converted dozends of Slackware packages like this.

The advantage of this approach is, that you can modify files in the new folders to your needs, e.g. add missing libraries, add startscripts or do whatever you need as customization.

Mark

CavedOOde

#144 Post by CavedOOde »

Thanks MU, for all the info here, this should set me back a week or so hehe goto dig into this 8)

AUR ? no thats a community driver Arch Linux repository.
They work with build scripts (PKGBUILD) and a tool called ABS to create Archlinux compatible/installable packages tar.gz which are in turn then installable with their pacman package utility.

My ideas about that really have nothing to do with this thread though :twisted:
thanks again for the links and all the help ...

greetz
Caved

MU

#145 Post by MU »

the Nvidia drivers also compile fine with this kernel.
My tweaks to xorgwizard could not fix the problem creating the savefile.
So I now add an option that suggests to reboot before X starts the first time, to create a savefile first.
I also started to add a "language chooser" in textmode, before the other wizards run (like chooselocale).

I then got a visit, so was interrupted.

So I will continue/finish/upload rc4 next weekend.
Mark

tlchost

#146 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: So I will continue/finish/upload rc4 next weekend.
Mark
Any idea what can be done about the save problem with remasterded LiveCD?

Thom

MOUSEY

Running Compiz on Intel 945GM ?

#147 Post by MOUSEY »

Hi,

I am now trying Newyearspup on top of my DELL D620 that has an Intel 945GM chipset graphics card within. The xwindow started without problem but only Compiz cannot function properly. Hence I have a few question:-

1) Can someone please give a hint or pointer on how to get Compiz running on this graphic chipset ?
2) I read that there is a plugin or utility that can configure the compiz (known as compiz wizard) which can modifying the xorg.config. Is that utility within this distribution ?

PS: Previously I had tried Ripple and everything went fine.

Thanks.

As for feedback; I think there are too many redundant utilities within the same distribution (like web browsers, file managers or text editors). Since we can't simply uninstall it, would it be better if there are pets made available and categorized properly so that we can pick which one we like and customize it accordingly ?

Sorry for posting such noob questions, it's just part of the learning curve - I hope you guys don't mind.

Thanks

MU

#148 Post by MU »

Mousey,
you may type:
compiz-manager

It also is in the "preferences" menu (compiz-config).
I just don't know if it is the program you mean.

Concerning pets:
I plan to upload more files once I have the "final" version.
They shall enable you, to upgrade the "Micro" version to "Maxi" using pets or sfs, with only the files you want.

So you could add compiz and nvidia drivers, but leave out firefox.
This however requires some knowledge (or a description) about what file depends on which other one.
I did not create them yet, because there currently are too often changes in new releases, so this must wait for "final".

---------
intel chips:
I have no experience, I just have read, that they currently have massive changes in each new Xorg release.
One thing you could try is to use the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from a Puplet where compiz works fine.
If that does not help, it must be a driver issue, hard to solve without such a card.
You might attach your zipped /var/log/Xorg.0.log, maybe someone finds a hint in it.

Mark

MOUSEY

#149 Post by MOUSEY »

Hi MU,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Anyway I guess here's my problem

"(EE) intel(0): [dri] I830CheckDRIAvailable failed because of a version mismatch.
[dri] libDRI version is 5.0.0 but version 5.4.x is needed."

I need to investigate more over the drivers and see how can I overcome this problem. This notebook is still an initial test, there is another desktop DELL Optiplex 755 in the office waiting for me as well. Thanks and looking forward for your next release.

James

MOUSEY

#150 Post by MOUSEY »

Hi again,

No luck, I spent one whole Saturday trying to upgrade the Intel gfx drivers but it seems like none of methods I had found would solve the DRI problems. Seems like I can't get the full capabilities of CF to work, I shall wait a bit for the next release and see how it goes now.

Some Feedbacks: I had also checked; Ripple was running on a previous version of X Server (v1.3 versus v1.5.2), hence the Intel drivers had worked flawlessly. I'd was thinking of dumping the whole X drivers over to make it work but I think it's too cumbersome and not worth it - as I foresee there would be new releases of NYP and upgrading would be a pain.

James

MU

#151 Post by MU »

I uploaded release candidate 4.
Micro, Mini, Midi, and Maxi.
I just used the "Midi" version until now, and did not test yet Micro or Mini.

It uses kernel 2.6.28.5 from wows new unnamed puplet 1.1, and also the new xorg mesa (OpenGL) files and the fixed glib-2.18.2-libgobject-2.0.so.0.1800.2.
Apart from that, it is not based on that new puplet, but still on the first one, simply because I had no time yet to look at the other files in it.

Changes:
- keyboard again uses the old method in .xinitrc (setxkbmap)

- In "init", I modprobe "usbkbd" before (important) "usbhid". Like this also USB keyboards work with the savefileselection. (and so also added usbkbd.ko.gz to initrd.gz)

- added country selection as first dialog.
(/usr/bin/chooselocalenewyearspup, launched from: /etc/rc.d/rc.country)
I started to add the french localized files from:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38371
In the next version, I plan to add spanish and german.
Currently localized (french):
bootmanager, cups_shell, xorgwizard (not xwin), remasterpup2.
They are not well tested, so I hope they have no errors.
I however decided to add them anyway, to force that they get the attention they deserve.
This hopefully will encourage more people to contribute/test translations.

- at first start, you are suggested to reboot before X starts, to create a savefile.
This works around the bug we have with creating savefiles after X started.

- modified /usr/sbin/bootmanager, so that the "ignore" checkbox fo SFS always is deactivated if there is no SFS chosen.
And added /etc/initd/rc.forcesfs.
It will add devx + kernelsource sfs if none is selected in the bootmanager.
This also could be other files, but it must be ANY sfs to avoid, that the list is empty, what would force Puppy to load ALL sfs it finds on your harddisk.
I think this makes sense, as you could get strange effects, if a "wrong" sfs was loaded by Puppys old default behaviour (one created for another version/puplet).

- replaced Ati Catalyst 8.12 with 9.2.

- replaced Nvidia driver 177 with 182.
- removed the "Nvidia 8000" option, as I have read, that driver 182 no longer needs it.
Please report, if this is true.

- updated the older Nvidia drivers too for the new kernel.
I did NOT check the Nvidia drivers myself yet, ran out of time...

- added icon-theme.cache files for iconthemes. They take quite some space, so I am not certain, if they should remain...

- update-desktop-database and update-mime-database are executed at startup (/etc/initd/rc.mime).
This might be refined in future, if people report slowdowns.

NOT looked at yet, as I was too busy with the other points:
- any menu related issues
- sis graficschips
- remaster issues.

Mark

Jim1911

#152 Post by Jim1911 »

Mark,

Sorry, tried to load RC4. After creating a new save file, nice script to do that, and rebooting I could not get a proper driver. Tried xorg force vesa option which worked nicely for RC3, but it failed and locked up with a colorful lined screen. Only way out was to shut system down. So, I've deleted RC4 and reverted back to RC3 which I really like.

I'm running WOW's latest version with no trouble so don't think the new core is the problem.

Will try again tomorrow.
Jim

MU

#153 Post by MU »

Jim,
which version did you try?
Micro, Mini, Midi?
I will check it today.
Mark

MUguest

#154 Post by MUguest »

Ok Jim,
I can confirm this:

the MIDI version locks up using the "xorgwizard, force vesa". So also Maxi should be affected.
If you use "xorgwizard", and choose "vesa" there, it works.
The Micro and Mini work correctly.
I quickly checked this in Virtualbox, without creating a savefile.

I will have to investigate at home, what causes this.
As I cannot access Xorg.0.log, this might take a bit, I am not certain, that I can solve it today.

------------
ok, can access the log after running Puppy with the option "puppy pfix=nox".
It starts up ok, but hangs at or after initialyzing the XEVIE extension.
Maybe some Xorg files are incompatibe with the new Ati driver, or my buildsystem copied some old files. I must check that at home.

Mark

MUguest

#155 Post by MUguest »

ok Jim, found the error.

You can type:
rm -f /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so

Then the vesa driver works.
I can upload a servicepack or better a rebuilt iso with the new libdri.so this evening.

Mark