Newyearspup 02 Micro, Mini, Midi, and Maxi RC10

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Fishy

#121 Post by Fishy »

I tried RC2 and it still has the mouse problem on installing ie. vertical movement only. that was with pfix=ram. :?

I will review this thread to find the stop gap solution.. I did try xorgwizard on my first attempt and then nvidia 8800 driver on the second.

This is too good a puplet to have people turned off by this initial glitch on installation. I will re-install my original newyears pup and wait for the final. :D

Nvidia 8800, 4 gig memory, dual core

MU

#122 Post by MU »

Fishy,
I wonder how the xorg.conf from the original newyearspup differs from the current one.
Please attach both, if possible, for comparison.
Out of couriosity , also try the pet:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2008-07-to-12 ... 800GTS.pet

Maybe there is a conflicting file I overwrote by accident in the new version, that then should be replaced with the old one.

Do NOT run xorgwizard then, when you start X again, so that the files from the pet do not get modified (my patched xorgwizard deletes/extracts files, do be able to use all the drivers from Nvidia).
I'm curious, if that fixes your mouse issue.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

davesurrey

#123 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Sage,
I'm running the maxi RC1 version and currently downloading RC2.

I think it was in RC1 that Mark added a choice of cursor. I can only assume it's still in RC2. Go to "Desktop Options" and you should see a Cursor section.

I also have a SiS chipset mobo and simply adding acpi=force to my boot kernel line solved the two problems you mention, ie ctrl+alt+backspace won't reboot the x-server and regular shut-down not working. I have had to do it on all my 4.x installs.

Enjoy!
Dave

davesurrey

#124 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Mark,
Just downloaded your Maxi RC2 and did a full install. Perhaps this feedback will be of use to you.

1. No longer does a USB count to 10 on booting. Thanks.

2. Mine waits about 12 secs at Starting Kernel Event Manager. That's still a wait but seems quicker than before.

3.Installed the 173 driver okay and initially gave me a nice IceWM+LX+Wbar desktop.

4. Used Logout>Desktop Chooser to select LXDE MU +Compiz and all hell let loose. Got itself into a loop between trying to draw the desktop and then reverting to the desktop chooser screen and continued in that loop.

I guessed it was xcompmngr that was fighting compiz but disabling it with all the flashing and banging on screen was tricky.

All okay when that was achieved.
So would it be possible to have xcompmngr disabled by default when LXDE and Compiz selected.

5. Despite selecting a GB keyboard I still get a US one for the terminal. I added

Code: Select all

Option "KbdLayout"  "gb" 
to my xorg.conf and all was okay after restarting the x-server.
Trying to change it by
Preferences>Mouse & Keyboard Wizard>Advanced Xorg Keyboard Config>Layouts
which I seem to remember working before just gives an error message.

6. If I set up Cairo Dock by using the CairoDock desktop icon and then reboot I never get Cairo back again automatically. I always need to select the icon again.

Things you know about and haven't changed (less fundamental?):
7. Still get that annoying "/ can't be mounted" message on bootup

8. Right-clicking on a volume in PCMan File Manager doesn't mount it and gives an error. Have to use PMount.

9. Still several missing menu icons and still feel some illogic in the menu systems.

As ever Mark, thanks for your endevours so far.
Dave

Fishy

#125 Post by Fishy »

Sorry Mark but not sure about getting xorg.config from the RC2 attempt as I can't get past that stage and am not literate enough in linux to get it from the commandline.

Attached is my configuration file from pup02 maxi. Running nvidia 8800 from xorgwizard with compiz.

cheers :D

farangcm

Horizontally challenged mouse cursor

#126 Post by farangcm »

I also have this problem mentioned by various people, and I am using the ATI catalyst option. I tried inserting the mouse section into xorg.conf but that didn't help. The beta version doesn't have this problem but RC1 and RC2 do. I get it using the live CD/DVD burned from the ISOs, and the problem remains after I install to USB drive. No problem with PS/2 mouse.

When I move the USB mouse the desktop rapidly changes back and forth between desktop 1 and desktop 2, so it is difficult to do much of anything after this point. If I delete the second desktop, the USB mouse still doesn't work, but the desktop is ok.

Googling, I read that this problem sometimes is related to usbmouse and usbhid, and the problem can be recreated with rmmod usbhid and modprobe usbmouse. I tried doing the reverse, and then the usb mouse doen't move at all.

Another suggestion on a different distro was to "comment out modprobe /sbin/hid in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules" but I didn't find rc.modules
in NYPup.

If it matters, I have a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R mb with Radeon HD2600 pro graphics, E4500 Core 2 Duo cpu, 2 GB ram, and dual monitors.

I was disappointed hearing that Muppy .084c was the end of the line, but
NYPup seems to have much the same benefits for me, namely dual monitor support and Wine for my portable programs.

So thanks for all the great work, and I hope you don't get burnt out from chasing down all these user errors :D .

Allen

Sage

#127 Post by Sage »

Thanks, ds.

Unfortunately, acpi=force is a work-around, not a fix or patch. There is a coding error in Puppy - every other developer seems to know the answer. I saw some discussion in recent weeks, here. Seems that there are some smart guys that finally understand the issue; shame I'm not one!

The default cursor and eth1 are not the best way to greet incomers! As observed above, this one is just too good to spawn adverse initial reaction.

MUguest

#128 Post by MUguest »

farangcm,

very important hint, many thanks.
In the rc, I added 2 or 3 usbmodules to initrd.gz.
The reason was, that my keyboard did not work, when I had the choice among multiple savefiles.
I think I must remove usbmouse from initrd.gz.

I can upload a modified version of initrd.gz this evening (in 10 hours or so).

Sage,
If you find any solution for the SIS issue, let me know, and I'll add it.
I have a slightly broken notebook with SIS card, it should run long enough, to test this issue at weekend myself.

Mark

Sage

#129 Post by Sage »

If you find any solution for the SIS issue
Sorry, Mark - My reading skills are excellent but my comprehension of code remains where it was fifty years ago. Needs someone who knows about these things. I work miracles with HW and a pair of tin snips....

Update: sadly, acpi=force does NOT fix the shutdown issue on midi (but it does on maxi, which I can now run since your modifications) which still produces spurious results, often ending with a partly reconstructed locked desktop. But CTRL-ALT-BKSPCE is inactivated. This matter deserves much more attention by the folks who can fix it. SiS chipsets were favoured by the ECS/PPChips conglomerate, the most modern and largest board maker in the world by an huge margin. Continuing to ignore it constitutes foot-shooting on a massive scale. Neophytes just aren't going to write in to fora like this - they are going to defect to another distro, or worse, return to Beelzebub's clutches.

kirk: I still cannot read this thread in comfort until you resize your picture.

wow

#130 Post by wow »

davesurrey wrote:5. Despite selecting a GB keyboard I still get a US one for the terminal. I added

Option "KbdLayout"  "gb" 
to my xorg.conf and all was okay after restarting the x-server.
Try to install this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 901#274901

mkdir /media
touch /media/.hal-mtab
touch /media/.hal-mtab-lock
Disable quickmount automount if possible.

davesurrey wrote:9. Still several missing menu icons
To fix missing menu icons:

gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor
gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/Crashbit
update-desktop-database
restartwm
Or change to another icon theme.
That's my "fault", to change menu structure go to http://www.lxde.org, download lxpanel source code, apply this patch to merge puppy specific menu structure, edit menu structure <lxpanel source code>/src/plugins/ptk-app-menu.c, compile and install (use "--prefix=/usr" to replace it)
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

MU

#131 Post by MU »

wow, thanks for your replies, I will try to integrate those suggestions in futue versions :)

For now, only a small update:
Version 02 Release Candidate 3:

- usbmouse.ko no longer is loaded in initrd.gz.
This hopefully fixes the "cursor" issues reported by several people.

- xcompmgr now should be stopped reliable when you select the compiz desktop in the desktopchooser.

That's not much, but the ursor issue was so important, that I decided to upload the new fixed version already.

Other fixes as PETS:
- the slidesow from the deskicons skips many pictures.
Install this pet to fix that:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06 ... bugfix.pet

- if you have a computer with a lot of Ram, you can "reactivate" the disabled weatherapplet for the deskicons:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-01-to-06 ... applet.pet
If this slows down your computer too much, uninstall the pet, or simply delete the weather applet with a rightclick.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

davesurrey

#132 Post by davesurrey »

Wow and Mark,
Once again many thanks for keeping the momentum on this project. It's late here so will have to look at this tomorrow and report back.
Thanks agaian
dave

Fishy

#133 Post by Fishy »

Yea MU, rc3 loaded and functioned without any muss or fuss. Cursor functions properly and had no issues with the selection of the Nvidia 8800 driver.

We have another winner from MU and WOW. Thanks for all the hard work :D .

Sage

#134 Post by Sage »

Uhhh.
I decided to upload the new fixed version
My brain isn't working this morning. I can't find rc3 ?

davesurrey

#135 Post by davesurrey »

Wow & Mark:

Re my orig issue:
Despite selecting a GB keyboard I still get a US one for the terminal. I added Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
to my xorg.conf and all was okay after restarting the x-server
So I installed the xkbconfigmanager-evdev.pet and tried Wow's suggestion to
Open /root/.xinitrd with a text editor and replace:
Code:
#wow: (custom 4.11 puplet)fix keyboard layout (Xorg 7.4)
setxkbmap -layout `cat /etc/keymap | cut -f1 -d.`
with
Code:
XkbApplyNow
I didn't find any /.xinitrd files but I guess you mean /.xinitrc
Found 3 of these:
/.xinitrc and /.xinitrc.MU.5212 already had the changes to the scripts but
/.xinitrc-orig didn't.
I wasn't sure so made the changes to that file.
Started the x-server again but now I can only get the US keyboard for the terminal.

So I have kept the pet and the code change to /.xinitrc but added my line to xorg.conf again to get back the GB keyboard.

So I am afraid it didn't work.

Am I doing anything wrong?

2. Made the /media/.hal-mtab-lock file and now I can right (or left) click on a volume to mount it. Right click also unmounts it. Thank you.

However, if the PC boots up set to automount all drives then right clicking in PCMan does not unmount them. Error message is "The volume XXX was probably mounted manually on the command line"

3. Wow, I did your icon fix and the icon set is a lot more complete, for which many thanks.
There are still a few menu icons missing in Games and those for Wine but it's certainly not a problem, at least for me, at this stage. If you want a complete list of what's missing just ask.

Mark:

I added your rc3 and weather-applet pets. Many thanks.

5. Couldn't check the cursor default as I guess I need to do a reinstall for that (or do you mean this fixes the vertical mouse problem?)

6. To test the "no xcompmngr if use compiz" changes I switched from "LXDE MU + Compiz" to "LXDE". Then I enabled xcompmngr and then switched back to "LXDE MU + Compiz" again.
It switched the desktop over fine without any disturbances BUT when I checked "Desktop Options" >Widgets etc I saw the xcompmngr box was ticked which seemed to say it hadn't been disabled.

7. Sorry but a new problem or at least something I haven't mentioned before but is happening continually. When I change something on Desktop Options and then close the window it redraws some of the desktop but then the Desktop Options window re-appears and I have to close it again.

Cheers
Dave

EDIT:
Just noticed that I made a typo in a previous message.
I did in fact add

Option "XkbLayout"  "gb"
and not

Option "KbdLayout"  "gb"
Sorry for any confusion caused.
Last edited by davesurrey on Wed 18 Feb 2009, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

davesurrey

#136 Post by davesurrey »

Sage,
I believe Mark is refering to
which can be found 5 posts up from here on this thread.
Dave

tlchost

#137 Post by tlchost »

MU wrote: For now, only a small update:
Version 02 Release Candidate 3:
When remastering it does write to ntfs partitition.

Still, remastered LiveCD only saves three times....then no offer to save and message "session not saved".

It does this on my Dell Desktop, Acer laptop, and with different brands of media.

Thom

wow

#138 Post by wow »

Hello MU, I'm testing your RC3 and found few things that can be improved in future versions.
xkbconfigmanager compatibility with older xorg.conf file
  • XkbApplyNow in .xinitrc is useless, xorgwizard(newyearspupMU-02rc3) can't create an xkbconfigmanager compatible xorg.conf file
    Error message: "Your xorg.conf file does not contain any XkbLayout options"
    It's OK for Xorg-7.4(with autoconfiguration enabled) because keyboard layouts are now defined by HAL (in this puplet: /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi)

<merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">keyboard</merge>
          <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name"
                 string="Linux">
            <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">evdev</merge>
          </match>

<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">us</merge>
          <merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string" />
    But, how to change/add keyboard layout?
    1. Using a tool for it. I haven't found any utility that can work with evdev and Xorg-7.4 (it reads rules from "/etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg" instead of "...rules/evdev"), I haven't tested if removing these symlinks:
    /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg
    /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst
    /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.xml
    and create new ones pointing to evdev, evdev.lst, evdev.xml might do the trick. I'm using an old style xorg.conf file, so xkbconfigmanager works just fine.
    2. Using setxkbmap. Example: setxkbmap -layout es,us -rules evdev -v
Font size
  • Fonts are too big in some GTK applications (rox, pcmanfm, abiword, etc.) and smaller on others like firefox, this can be fixed if you remove these lines from ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file:

style "user-font"
    {
      font_name="Sans 12"
    }
    And use 'lxde-settings' (a settings manager like xfce-mcs-manager or gnome-settings-daemon) with lxappearance(instead of MU-Gtktheme) to manage fonts, gtk-themes and icon-themes.
mimeinfo.cache needs to be updated
  • Run 'update-desktop-database' and copy the new /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache to the ISO to make new applications available in the "Open With" menu.
nVidia proprietary driver for new cards
  • I've been using your "177 driver for GeForce8000.pet" instead of my "177 driver.pet" without problems for weeks, (tested on Geforce7050, Geforce 7200 and Geforce 8400). You can save some MB in the iso removing the "177 driver".
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

CavedOOde

#139 Post by CavedOOde »

Hi There MU, WOW and all others, i am kinda new to puppy (not to linux) and these forums so forgive if i understand some things wrong but here is what i wanted to comment on:

I was under the impression that Newyears pup used the same kernel and modules as WOW's Unnamed pup but i noticed some differences.

The unnamed pup would boot and let me use (kinda odd special) wireless connector Belkin (mod rtl 8180) it connects without 1 problem. same on the Atheros (odd) card in my Compaq CQ60 laptop.

The only puppy that actually booted on the CQ60 standard Vista cradle was the Unnamed and i have yet to test the Newyear. Prolly due to the smp issue...

Newyear pup will also let me use the wireless and scan for networks. The trouble starts when i want to connect to my WPA2 hub. It times out while associating (30 secconds)
I haven't tested on my laptop but only on my main sys, its a amd duall core 5000+ with a Belkin wireless card.

Another issue in Newyear is that Ndiswrapper (although letting me select the xp driver) wont load it gives a msg that it can't continue to load Ndiswrapper.

The rest of the RC3 release really works like a charm, i got Nvidia loaded and running Beryl, SMP works, haven't tested much else since i got stuck on the wireless issue. :(
Great puppy the Newyear (same goes for WOW's Unnamed although much more basic apps)and i really hope i can resolve my wireless, any pointers would be welcome...

Greetz
Caved

MU

#140 Post by MU »

Caved,
yes, the kernel is the same.
So I actually have no idea, why wireless does not work :(

I have created a test iso today with these changes:
- dialog from slackware (with dialog.mo translations)
- xorgwizard localized by esmourguit
- Kernel 2.6.28.5 from wow
- slight changes in xorgwizard to try to deal with the nasty bug of broken "create savefile" dialog. I must run more checks tomorrow to test, if it is solved.
- Ati catalyst 9.2 driver compiles fine with the new kernel

As wow needs to compile mesa, there might not be a new iso tomorrow already.
I tomorrow will check, if all the Nvidia drivers compile.
Depending on how long this takes, I also will try to look at the keyboard issue, and apply the HAL fix.
And I must add "update-mime-database" when a new sfs is loaded and at first boot.

So I can not guarantee, that there will be a new iso tomorrow.
It is more likely, that it will come next weekend.
Mark