How do I remove programs that come with Puppy 4.x?

Booting, installing, newbie
moonknight

How do I remove programs that come with Puppy 4.x?

#1 Post by moonknight »

Hi im completely new to Linux (but huge fan). Any way, how do i uninstall stuff from Puppy 4.x?? Because there 2 browsers (not needed) and like so many text editors (not needed) and any others i don't feel the need for.

Also (first boot on usb) will my setting be saved? Like if i have xorg will it stay xorg?

01micko

Re: Hello

#2 Post by 01micko »

moonknight wrote:Hi im completely new to linux (but huge fan). any way. how do i unistall stuff on puppy 4.x?? becouse there 2 browsers (not needed) and like somany txt editors (not needed ). and any other's that i dont feel the need for.

also (fist boot on usb) will my setting be saved like if i have xorg will it stay xorg?
Hello moonknight, welcome aboard :D

The browsers are part of the distro and only way to get rid of them is to delete manually in your usb install. This can be dangerous so be warned! There are other smaller puplets (derivatives of puppy) around this site, maybe one of those will more suit your needs.

Your settings should save just fine on your stick. When you shutdown the first time you will be prompted to make a 'pup_save.2fs' file which saves all your settings.

Hope that helps.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

moonknight

#3 Post by moonknight »

this linux pwnz ubuntu

bugman

#4 Post by bugman »

there is somewhere out there an app called something like 'pet be gone' [one word? two? search the forum] that will delete apps that are installed as part of puppy, not sure how it works with various methods of installation

moonknight

#5 Post by moonknight »

thanks

how do i get a screenshot of puppy??? is tehre a tool or is it not in this linux flavour?

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

moonknight wrote:thanks

how do i get a screenshot of puppy??? is tehre a tool or is it not in this linux flavour?
easy

menu(bottomleft button)|graphic|mtPaint-snapshot
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Code: Select all

mtpaint -s
PET-Be-Gone is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17035
It requires the 0pkgs_db-X.XX package for whatever version of Puppy you use. For Puppy 4.xx they can be found here: ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distrib ... ackages-4/

For unknown reasons there is no such package for Puppy 4.12, but since there were very few changes you should be able to use the one from 4.11 in 4.12 without any issues.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

bugman

#8 Post by bugman »

thanks pizza, i might do some trimming myself, even tho 412 is mercifully down to 1 vector editor

:D

pa_mcclamrock

RemasterSlimmer

#9 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Basically, all you need is (1) lists of files in the built-in packages you might wish to uninstall, and (2) a script that will delete the files from each package you select and run "fixmenus" to delete the corresponding menu entries.

Here's a PET package for "RemasterSlimmer 4.1.1," a little Tcl/Tk script I wrote to do the job for Puppy 4.1.1 (should work for any package that's also in another 4.x version). About 292 KB total, most of which is file lists. Includes lists for packages users might conceivably wish to uninstall, but not for ones deemed essential to the full functioning of Puppy. Adds a "RemasterSlimmer" item to the Filesystem menu. Requires Tcl and Tk (about 4 MB total, and you can easily uninstall them afterward if you don't want them hanging around, or keep them if you do):

http://puppylinux.asia/members/pa_mccla ... -8.5.5.pet

http://puppylinux.asia/members/pa_mccla ... -8.5.5.pet

According to what I've read (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), Pet-Be-Gone doesn't actually uninstall files, but only masks them until you remaster. RemasterSlimmer actually uninstalls the files, but of course they'll return if you reboot Puppy with a main file that still has them, so you should remaster before rebooting if you really want to get rid of them for good. (Also, keep a copy of your previous main file in case you find you uninstalled anything you shouldn't have.) If you have a full install, it should uninstall the packages for good, although I don't have a full install and haven't tried it.

I've tested RemasterSlimmer by uninstalling HomeBank, and it worked correctly, but I haven't tried uninstalling every program on the list. Anyone who tries it, let me know what you think.

David McClamrock
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

rjbrewer

#10 Post by rjbrewer »

Pet-begone does permanently remove files from a full install; more
than I should have when I tried it. Got even more interesting when
I tried to remove Pet-be-gone itself. Be careful newbies

rjb

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

According to what I've read (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), Pet-Be-Gone doesn't actually uninstall files, but only masks them until you remaster. RemasterSlimmer actually uninstalls the files, but of course they'll return if you reboot Puppy with a main file that still has them, so you should remaster before rebooting if you really want to get rid of them for good.
Actually, it sounds like yours does roughly the same thing. PET-Be-Gone itself doesn't mask things. It uses rm to try deleting things. The catch is that UnionFS (or AUFS) will realize that it's trying to delete a file from a read-only filesystem, and will instead place a hidden whiteout file in the pup_save.2fs file, and then hide that whiteout file from the visible filesystem (you can see it if you look in /initrd/pup_rw or mount the pup_save.2fs file).

That happens any time anything tries to delete.

The only exception is a full-hd install, which as rjbrewer stated works how you'd expect, since in a full-hd install there is no use of UnionFS. Just a normal filesystem.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

pa_mcclamrock

#12 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Pizzasgood wrote:PET-Be-Gone itself doesn't mask things. It uses rm to try deleting things. The catch is that UnionFS (or AUFS) will realize that it's trying to delete a file from a read-only filesystem, and will instead place a hidden whiteout file in the pup_save.2fs file, and then hide that whiteout file from the visible filesystem (you can see it if you look in /initrd/pup_rw or mount the pup_save.2fs file).

That happens any time anything tries to delete.
Very interesting, but not very comprehensible. What if you're running Puppy entirely in RAM and you don't even have a pup_save.2fs file, or you've moved that file so Puppy can't find it?
--Linus Torvalds

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sorry. I'll try again.

The pup_xxx.sfs file is read only. When Puppy creates the filesystem, it uses that file as the base. If you're running with pfix=ram, or the first boot with no pup_save.2fs file yet, then that's pretty much it. But since it's read-only, you can't change anything, so Puppy sets up another partition in ram and layers that over the pup_xxx.sfs file. Any changes you make go into this other partition. If you modify a file, the modified copy goes in. If you delete a file, a whiteout file goes in. So nothing in the pup_xxx.sfs file was ever modified.

When you choose to create a pup_save.2fs file, everything in that upper layer is copied into it. Then the next time you boot, the pup_save.2fs file will become the upper layer (except in USB installs, where it is a the middle layer and a partition in ram is created for the top layer).

So when you delete something, you never actually delete it. A whiteout file is added to the top layer, but the pup_xxx.sfs file is never touched. That's why you can "uninstall" everything in Puppy, but it won't actually change the size (actually it will slightly increase the space used in the save file, due to all the whiteout files).

But the user doesn't see all of this. UnionFS hides it all, so that to the user there's just one layer, and it's rw. That applies to all the programs the user can run also. Which is why remastering leaves out the things that were "deleted".

Any extra .sfs files, like devx_xxx.sfs, will be layered between the pup_save.2fs file and the pup_xxx.sfs file.

pa_mcclamrock

#14 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Pizzasgood wrote:The pup_xxx.sfs file is read only. [ . . . ] So nothing in the pup_xxx.sfs file was ever modified.
So far, so good.
[ . . . ] you can "uninstall" everything in Puppy, but it won't actually change the size (actually it will slightly increase the space used in the save file, due to all the whiteout files).

But the user doesn't see all of this. UnionFS hides it all, so that to the user there's just one layer, and it's rw. That applies to all the programs the user can run also. Which is why remastering leaves out the things that were "deleted".
OK. But remastering really leaves them out, right? If I "uninstall," say, SeaMonkey and AbiWord, and then remaster before rebooting, the remastered .iso will actually be smaller by the amount of space that SeaMonkey and AbiWord were taking up, and won't be padded with whiteout files. Is that right?
--Linus Torvalds

Pizzasgood

#15 Post by Pizzasgood »

As far as I'm aware, yes. You should be able to verify that by booting with pfix=ram, deleting half of the /usr directory, and remastering. The result might not be bootable, but it should be noticeably smaller.

The whiteout files are hidden from the filesystem, so the only ways to see them are to look in /initrd/pup_rw or to mount the pup_save.2fs file. From what I understand, the remaster script does neither. I could be wrong though.