Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 16 Dec 2018, 11:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 37 [543 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
muggins

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2009, 04:56    Post subject:  

Curious whether anyone has had any success getting ZTE MF626 working. While usb_modeswitch successfully detachs the device, running
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0x0031, appears to work, but pupdial can't detect it.
plumtreed

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2009, 05:56    Post subject:  

I downloaded the new 4.2 followed by your -8 pet and tempestuous' upgraded pet to take care of my Qualcomm modem.

After rebooting I 'plugged-in' my usb modem and used the connect icon,
clicked on 'internet via dialup etc' and found that things were set up to probe automatically. Everything went the way it should, modem was found and after filling in the right answers I was on the net.
rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2009, 18:14    Post subject: Next step: triggering driver after mode switch
Subject description: Mode-switch changes modem ID, but how to tell puppy to match it with a driver?

Plumtreed, congratulations on your success! I seems your modem does not require mode switching, so only the updated option driver was needed.

Now that (I think) I have gotten the mode switching pieces where they need to be, I am focusing on what happens after the mode-switch. I have been working with Wilky (via PM) and his ZTE MF626 modem, so far without complete success.
Quote:
Subject: Re: rotten zte626 modem
Ok here we go Richard.
Fresh install of Puppy
Fresh install of new "-8 version", "usb-modeswitch" and tempestuous's "option"
Removed the "#" in 51-usb_modeswitch-option-zte... which is now on line 61 which is the second mention.

Removed the ";" in usb_modeswitch.conf . . .

Plugged modem in
"lsmod" "option" is not there
/etc/int.d/Option" is not there

Replugged modem and same results. Rebooted with modem plugged in and same result.
I have not used "add" on the "option"

Thought I would leave it at that and await further instructions.
And my reply:
Wilky,
Thanks again for testing my latest. Your actions match what I expect is necessary, except that my implementation does not use the /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf file, at all. Usb_modeswitch does not access the file if parameters are passed to it, as I do from the udev rules. But to avoid confusing others, I think it best to not uncomment anything in it; it is provided only as reference, a convenient place to see all of the supported modems and their switching techniques (that I made the rules from).

You have now confirmed my next suspicion regarding modems that require usb_modeswitch to change their vendor/product ID. Yours is one of those, so is a perfect test case. My fear is that even though the device is told to respond to a different vendor/product ID, nothing tells linux/puppy about that, so the module loading does not occur.

Resolving that may require help from those familiar with that business, perhaps even Barry. I will take a little time to work that out.

In the meantime, you might try putting option in the "add" list, to see if it makes any difference. I find that it does get loaded, but I suspect that is not enough. I think that the driver must detect the modem, then execute some setup logic. But whenever the modem is plugged in or replugged, it shows as a storage device, not a modem, so the driver never sees it as a modem. You could verify that thinking, but we are probably stuck until I discover the missing link. (End of reply)

That gives you an idea of where I am going with this. I need to determine how to trigger loading of the option driver after switching the mode (storage-device to modem-device). So far, I will consider (1) creating a new uevent that should trigger loading via the normal puppy-loading rule, and (2) converting the rules for the ID-changing modems to invoke a script that combines the mode-switch and subsquent invocation of the pup_event_backend_modprobe script (as done for a few modems in another dotpet package and in 4.2). This technique may also be needed for the E220/E270/E870 (& E156?) (for a reason I won't go into), but I will wait until confirmation that the driver is still not being loaded at either initialization or plugin. Anyone with other ideas on how to proceed, please PM me.

Ghostryder4u, I will need your help in testing whatever I come up with, since your modem has the same IDs as the E220 (Vendor id 12dl, Product id 1003).

Muggins, you are a victim of the same problem I am working with Wilky. Your workaround is good; I would think you could instead use the BootManager to add usbserial and its arguments to the "add" list, so you wouldn't need to do the modprobe (and maybe other commands, as well). I need someone to prove that doing so is effective, since I have now listed such information in the README. Thanks in advance.
Richard
tempestuous

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2009, 22:30    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
Muggins ... Your workaround is good; I would think you could instead use the BootManager to add usbserial and its arguments to the "add" list

If you install the updated "option" driver, that shouldn't be necessary. The option driver should automatically load the usbserial driver with the correct parameters.
muggins

PostPosted: Fri 03 Apr 2009, 23:28    Post subject:  

Tempestuous & Rerwin,

I used Rerwin's latest usb_modeswitch & 3G modem .pets, plus the patched option .pet, made by Tempestuous. Maybe I need to remove the option & usbserial modules, then re-modprobe them?
seadog

PostPosted: Sat 04 Apr 2009, 07:27    Post subject: Huawei E220
Subject description: Works with Samsung NC10

Hi Guys,
I saw the work you are doing and maybe this will help.
My pc is a Samsung NC10 running the Acer-puppy-4.10-27.iso. This incidently is the only Puppy which gives me auto detected wifi. The Acer failed so changed to the Samsung.
A 3G connection would be very handy, so bought a Huawei E220 modem with a T-Mobile package. According to the Wiki, it will work under a Linux system. I am assuming the more modern modem 'sticks' will also work. The E220 is the older type often known as the 'soap on a rope' modem.
The next thing is to download the '3G-pupdial-wireles-7.pet' and the 'usb-modeswitch-0[1].9.6.pet', both availible from this forum. Install both of these and you are ready to go.
Now plug in the modem. If it flashes, it is working ok. (I am assuming that the sim card etc has been done in the store you bought it from), then reboot the machine.
The modem should be reconised now, and to show it has, hit the 'connect' icon on your desktop, then choose 'Internet by dialup modem'. Use this application to probe for modems and watch the 'connection status log'. If all is well you will see that the modem is reconised as a Huawei at ttyUSB0. You may now close that application.
Next, once more hit the 'connect' icon and choose the 'Internet by wireless GPRS modem'. In the 'Serial Modem Device' box, change the wording to '/dev/USBO'. For 'Username' I have 'user' (it does not seem to matter) and the same for 'Password' i.e. 'pass'. You could leave these two items at their defaults if you wished. For 'Phone Number' I used '*99#' and the 'Pin' should be '1210' which seems again is a default value for sim cards.
The APN box is for the name of the service provider. For T-Mobile it must be 'general.t-mobile.uk'. This took me a while to figure out and only did it by first running my modem on a friend's XUbuntu set up. Doing that and going to the 'edit connection' box, showed me this. Just putting in 't-mobile' does not work.
Right, the last step is now to go to the main desktop menue and choose 'Network' - 'PGPRS Connect' application. This will open an X window and you will see the computer talk to the modem and the connection set up. Now you are on line. The modem lights will now change from flashing to steady. To log off, just type 'CTRL C' and you will see the modem shut down. Neat, yes!
It really is so simple. No scripts to change, nothing to hack. It does show how well thought out and well put together Puppy is. Bigger is not always better. It connects faster with lower signal strength than XUbuntu and JWM does not crash like the Window manager in the latter.
Last point. If you connect the modem after the computer has booted, then just probe with the dial-up application once more, so that it is reconised. Also, the colour showing on the modem gives the speed avalible, due to signal quality. Blue is best, but if green it will still work, but slow.

I did follow the threads on this subject on the forum here, and did a lot of 'googling' also. It left me totally confused which is why I have posted this, which may help others in the same position. The APN question was the one that had me head scratching, so perhaps for other operators like 'Virgin' the APN may not be what seems obvious.
Good luck and hope this is of some help to someone.

Just it passing, I have tried this with a new install and the standard 412 Puppy but it does not work. Therefore use the iso mentioned earlier if you are working with a laptop. Incidently, the wifi does not work when running 412 either, but ok with the AAO 410 iso.
planegoofy

PostPosted: Sun 05 Apr 2009, 21:24    Post subject:  Verizon UM175 USB Modem in US works  

rerwin,

First of all, thanks for all the hard and excellent work on making this work so well!!! I needed to get the above verizon wireless modem to work with my laptop w/o Windows. Verizon is an EVDO 3G network and needed a few different settings in pupdial. I have attached a screen shot showing the settings I used to connect. The phone number is the standard number for Verizon regardless of modem (I think).

Here is the file showing the modem type and model and vendor codes:

Code:
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_ic0a_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_icff_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_ic02_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
usb_v1d6b_p0001_d0206_dc09_ic09_Linux 2.6.25.16 uhci_hcd_UHCI Host Controller_
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_ic0a_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_icff_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
usb_v106c_p3714_d0100_dc02_ic02_PANTECH_PANTECH USB MODEM_
tty_ttyACM0
usb_v1d6b_p0001_d0206_dc09_ic09_Linux 2.6.25.16 uhci_hcd_UHCI Host Controller_

Thanks again and add one more to the list of working modems.

p.s. I installed the pupdial, modeswitch and option driver but I don't think the option driver is needed for this modem.

Jeff
VerizonEVDOSettings.png
 Description   pupdial settings for verizon edvo 3g network
 Filesize   50.07 KB
 Viewed   506 Time(s)

VerizonEVDOSettings.png

rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 06 Apr 2009, 00:33    Post subject: 3G-PupDial...-9 removes obstacle to mode switching  

I have uploaded (to the start of this thread) version 9 of the 3G-Pupdial dotpet. It corrects a bug that prevents the appropriate udev rules from being used. The logic came from the rules for the hso driver, but was incorrect. Now, all the rules files that contain dual sets of rules, to support future kernels, have the correction. There may still be other problems with mode switching; but this is one step toward success.

Planegoofy, thanks for your report of success. Fortunately, your modem is not affected by the mode-switching issues. I am pleased to know it works, because it is of a different type (ACM) than I have been dealing with.
Richard
planegoofy

PostPosted: Mon 06 Apr 2009, 08:01    Post subject:  

Quote:
Planegoofy, thanks for your report of success. Fortunately, your modem is not affected by the mode-switching issues. I am pleased to know it works, because it is of a different type (ACM) than I have been dealing with.

rerwin,

FWIW, I am using a fresh install of 4.2 and it didn't recognoze the modem without the installation of your pets. I know others had success w/o but I didn't see it till after the new pupdial etc.

Thanks again for such hard work in this area!!!

Jeff
rerwin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr 2009, 00:23    Post subject: ZTE MF626 and ZTE MF628 problem  

To all using the ZTE MF626 and ZTE MF628 modems,
Although these modems are now supported by tempestuous' patched option driver, they are still not being detected. The reason seems to be that their storage parts, which have a different product ID, are not first detected by the usb-storage driver. Apparently, the storage part must be detected before the mode switch can be effective, to change the ID for the option driver to detect.

To address this, I have sent a PM to tempestuous, requesting his help, to make a patched usb-storage.

This was discovered in my work with Wilky and his modem.
Richard

UPDATE 4/8/09: This problem and both patched modules also apply to these ZTE/Onda modems: MF620, MF622, MF636, MF638, MT503HS, and MT505UP. Remember: be sure to select and uncomment the appropriate mode-switch udev rule for your particular modem in the file: /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usb-modeswitch-option-ZTE-Onda-0x19d2-0x2000.rules.

Last edited by rerwin on Wed 08 Apr 2009, 17:45; edited 2 times in total
tempestuous

PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr 2009, 01:49    Post subject:  

Patched usb-storage module available for testing here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=254448#254448
muggins

PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr 2009, 18:32    Post subject:  

@Tempestuous & @Rerwin,

using the latest patched option model my ZTE MF626 still isn't being detected by pupdial...tricky beast indeed!
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr 2009, 20:51    Post subject:  

Did you install the patched usb-storage module?
And did you modify "51-usb_modemswitch-option-ZTE-Onda-0x19d2-0x2000.rules" as rerwin explained?

For your ZTE MF626 you should uncomment line 19.
Reboot.

If that doesn't work, comment out line 19 again, and uncomment line 62, which uses the old syntax.
Reboot.
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr 2009, 23:28    Post subject: Corrections to Hso initialization script
Subject description: Please fix two typos (Updated 4/15)

The modem initialization script for modems using the hso driver contains some typos that prevent it from executing correctly and preventing the modem from being detected. The fix is simple:

1. Edit (Open As Text) the file, /etc/init.d/Hso

2. On line 6, change the end of the line:
[02]$'"
to:
[0-3]$'`"
(That is dollar, apostrophe, back-tick, quotation mark.)

3. On line 7, change the beginning of the line:
[ "MODEM"
to:
[ "$MODEM"

Do this after booting with the modem plugged in or after the driver has been loaded previously. If you do not see that file, you probably do not have a modem requiring it.
Richard
dc740

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr 2009, 13:01    Post subject:  

Hi, I found this forums searching for tweaks to tune up my connection on Ubuntu. It seems to me (I only read the last page of this post) that some of you are having troubles to make the MF626 modem work.
As a workaround to get internet, I use wvdial (this modem also works on NetworkManger on Ubuntu, but I do like wvdial since I can set the init strings that I want)

I'm using usb_modeswitch Version 0.9.7beta.
And this is what I did to make it work
My /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf looks like this:
Code:
########################################################
# ZTE MF628+ (tested version from Telia / Sweden)
# ZTE MF626
#
# Contributor: Joakim Wennergren

DefaultVendor=  0x19d2
DefaultProduct= 0x2000

TargetVendor=   0x19d2
TargetProduct=  0x0031

MessageEndpoint=0x01
MessageContent="55534243123456782000000080000c85010101180101010101000000000000"

# if that command doesn't work, try the other ("eject")
MessageContent="5553424312345678000000000000061b000000030000000000000000000000"

/etc/wvdial.conf:

Code:

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 S10=200 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","gprs.claro.com.ar"
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 921600
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB2
ISDN = off
Phone = ##############
Password = ############
Username = #############
Stupid Mode = on

to the purpose of the post. This is my connect.sh script which I run everytime I boot my computer:
Quote:
#!/bin/sh
sudo /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -W -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf
sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0x0031

echo "Initializing modem. Please wait..."
sleep 60
echo "Done. Connecting..."
sudo wvdial &

with the above configuration to make usb_modeswitch work, that's all I have to do to connect to internet. Anyway it would be great to make it automatic... It's not very useful, as many other users had make it work before. But it may help if you want to make it automatic as you said on the first post. Even with NetworkManager on Ubuntu I ahve to run the first two commands each time I boot, and it's not nice. Adding it to the init scripts is not a nice workaround either.

Thanks for reading this far. I hope this post helps someone =)
Page 6 of 37 [543 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: