Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

#526 Post by rerwin »

Greatnessguru,
pmodemdiag hung, never creating the file.
This concerns me! The only line I suspect that could hang is line 60 of /usr/sbin/pmodemdiag. Please comment out that line and try again. If it still hangs, then find the /tmp directory of the name similar to the tar.gz file and make an archive of it to send me. I definitely do not want the tool to hang, so must find out why.

Re the ff business: I am not ready to deal with that at least until we get the original problem sorted out. I need to exhaust all the available possibilities before designing something new.
Richard

Greatnessguru

#527 Post by Greatnessguru »

rerwin,
pmodemdiag hung, never creating the file.
... line 60 of /usr/sbin/pmodemdiag.
Please comment out that line and try again.
Success!

Thanks,
Eddie Maddox

Greatnessguru

#528 Post by Greatnessguru »

rerwin,
- booted PuppyLinux 431, pfix=ram
- installed the ...-6 PET
- installed the ...-4 PET
- installed pmodemdiag, #<line 60>
- ran pmodemdiag
- renamed file to "...before..."

- ran:
#!/bin/sh
cat /proc/bus/usb/devices | grep -B1 -A9 "Cls=ff"
echo
modprobe -v usbserial vendor=0x22b8 product=0x2b24
echo

- result:
T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=22b8 ProdID=2b24 Rev= 0.02
S: Manufacturer=Motorola Inc.
S: Product=Motorola VE465
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=500mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 16 Ivl=128ms
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=84(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

insmod /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko vendor=0x22b8 product=0x2b24

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=22b8 ProdID=2b24 Rev= 0.02
S: Manufacturer=Motorola Inc.
S: Product=Motorola VE465
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=500mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=usbserial_generic
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 16 Ivl=128ms
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=usbserial_generic
E: Ad=84(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

- clicked "connect"
-- clicked the button for PupDial
"No modem detected..."
--- clicked "Probe"
---- clicked "Probe"
-- Modem detected, ttyUSB0
-- clicked "Exit"
- ran pmodemdiag
- renamed file to "...usbserial..."

- ran:
#!/bin/sh
echo
modprobe -v option vendor=0x22b8 product=0x2b24
echo

- result:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko vendor=0x22b8 product=0x2b24
FATAL: Error inserting option (/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

- dmesg | tail :
usbserial_generic 1-2:1.0: generic converter detected
usb 1-2: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbserial_generic 1-2:1.1: generic converter detected
usb 1-2: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB1
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
cdc_acm: v0.26:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
option: Unknown parameter `vendor'

Please let me know the proper "modprobe" stuff for the "option" module to get that part working.

Thanks,
Eddie Maddox

rerwin

Regarding the Huawei E5830 3G wifi router

#529 Post by rerwin »

In researching a request from forum member reo (thanks for the PM), I found some frustrating information. The request:
i had a query about the 3G wifi routers from Huawei model number E5830.
i tried to use it as a direct USB modem but unfortunately it does not detect the modem. can you please advise.
I found this in a review of the device here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 54&start=0
This part addresses direct/USB connection to the modem part:
HOW DO I USE IT?
There are two modes of operation, which I shall call 'tethered' and 'wireless'. Tethered means connected to your pc with a usb cable, wireless means connected by wifi. Here there is also a difference between Linux and Windows. If you are unlucky enough to be relying on Windows then it behaves in the customary manner of these devices, you plug it in and it installs software with which you can alter various settings and functions and also use it to connect from the pc so you don't have to use the modem buttons (it even has a firewall built in which I haven't investigated yet) if you are using Linux then you will of course not get this luxury. As this is a Linux forum I will concentrate on how it works with that.

I will deal with tethered mode first as that is the easiest - it doesn't work. That is to say, I can't make it work, which is not quite the same thing. It is not the usual problem though (storage mode). It is recognised as a modem and the kernel automatically creates the required device nodes (ttyUSB0,1,2) needed for it to connect, but nothing is capable of connecting to it. I have tried gnome network manager, umtsmon and gnome ppp, and everything reports that there is no modem on the system, even gnome ppp, and with that, you actually tell it which node the modem is attached to - and still it can't see it. The fact that a modem exists and is recognised can be confirmed by [normal-appearing] output from /var/log/messages.
[ . . . ]
At the end there it mentions a storage device which is attached to sdc. I have tried ejecting this and it makes no difference. Perhaps in time I will overcome this, but so far I haven't.

So on to wireless mode, and this is where the device comes into its own. Whatever your distribution or your skill with Linux, provided you have a Linux compatible wireless card in your pc you WILL be able to connect via this device. There is no kernel trickery required, and no external programs either, the connection to the internet is done entirely by the device itself, it doesn't even involve your computer. So this is how it goes.

First you press the lower of the three buttons to switch the device on. Second you wait until the modem receives a mobile broadband signal then you press the top button to connect the device to that signal. Third you press the middle button to switch on the wifi signal. Fourth you go to network manager and look for the SSID of your device and click on it. Fifth you enter the wifi key provided for you (it uses wpa-psk by default but you can change that if you need to). Sixth you are online.

The beauty of the device though is that it doesn't stop there. Any device that you own with wireless capabilities will be able to connect to it as well, just the same as if you had a wireless router, but this one works anywhere you can get a mobile signal, no telephone lines needed - ain't that brill :D
That explains why attempts by others do not seem to work. The solution appears to be to use it with a wifi network device. Connecting via USB just doesn't work. Unless someone has by now found a way.

Another issue with this device is the inability to configure it via the USB connection from linux. But I found this blog item addressing that. It points to some alternate firmware for it that resolves the problem. I cannot recommend using or not using it, but thought I would mention it, anyway.
http://luke.sheldrick.co.uk/blog/2010/0 ... hree-mifi/
Richard

reo

E5830

#530 Post by reo »

Hi

thanks for the info.

actually the main reason i wanted the "tethered" option was so sthat i could set different APN configurations.

when u are on wireless u have to use the default APN set on the router.

however i think i may have found a way around this. there is a firmware upgrade that you can run which will allow u access to the router config page over the wireless connection. but i beleive that you could be limited by the profiles that are actually stored on the device. i am going to try this firmware and i will let you know the result and in which ways i am limited on the APN and how to get around that.

i have an unlocked E5830 so i can change the sim card and test with other networks.

i am not sure if im allowed to on the forum but here is a link to the tutorial on upgrading the firmware :

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthre ... 1058534564

regards

Aitch

#531 Post by Aitch »

Hi Reo

Thanks for the link - I have one of these Mifi gadgets

Did you unlock yours, using this file/method?

I am concerned about web access, and need to enable security and web access, thanks

Aitch :)

reo

#532 Post by reo »

Hi

No, i did not unlock it with this file.

to unlock you need to search online, there are many providers that can unlock modems by IMEI.

unlocking will allow you to change your sim card to any of your preffered networks. it is really helpful when u travelling then u can use a local sim and dont have to incure heavy roaming charges.

this file basically allows u to manage the router over the wifi connection rather than making a physical USB connection(of which we know that the only way to access the router management application will be through a windows box). the wireless connection will therefore allow u to utilise the modem to the best of its capabilities through puppy via a browser with no issues or limitations.

regards
reo

reo

#533 Post by reo »

results :

i upgraded the modem using the download on this page:

http://blog.brightpointuk.co.uk/huawei- ... -available

this is a great update as it allows u to easily manage the router through a web interface and u can easily update all the config of the router including configuring your profiles for different network. i have no problems at all with this update.

the only thing i noticed is that other users advised to only use it on an unlocked unit. they did not explain why but i guess you should take some caution.

regards

aris22002

zte mf 636

#534 Post by aris22002 »

yes my zte mf 636 had the same problem even it wont detect my modem

i dont know why ?????

anybody can tell me ???

rerwin

#535 Post by rerwin »

aris22002,
Although I cannot help you with an unlocking issue, as modem-support developer, I may be able to help otherwise. Please tell us what Puppy you are working with. If it is 4.3.1, you need to install some dotpets. The ZTE modems have been tricky to get going. But the latest fixes may help. Looking forward to working with you.
Richard

mcalex

puppy 5 and huawei e169

#536 Post by mcalex »

Hi Rerwin

I have a Huawei e169 (with virgin) which was working (using your magic) in puppy 4.3.1. I upgraded to puppy 5 and am now running into the same problems as before you waved your magic pet wand, and keeps telling me the modem has hung up with an error code of 16. It redials, seems to connect, and then falls over again.

The only thing I can think of that may have changed, is that I plugged in my daughter's Huwaei K3765 (with vodafone) to check whether it would work with puppy5 (coz i couldn't get it to work on her laptop in 4.3.1).
PS: That worked - kudos. :D

Could plugging in a different usb modem have had this effect?

If not, am I supposed to be using any of your pets? I've just tried with puppy 5 'out of the box' - is that wrong?

Many thanks, in advance, and for your dedication & efforts so far.

mcalex

01micko

Re: puppy 5 and huawei e169

#537 Post by 01micko »

mcalex wrote: I have a Huawei e169 (with virgin) which was working (using your magic) in puppy 4.3.1. I upgraded to puppy 5 and am now running into the same problems as before you waved your magic pet wand, and keeps telling me the modem has hung up with an error code of 16. It redials, seems to connect, and then falls over again.
Hi mcalex... I have one of those too and I suspect a Virgin problem.

I am running cutting edge Lupu 502 built with woof with a modified kernel and am (albeit very slowly) posting this from my Virgin Huawei e169, prepaid, had to do a topup and all. The LED is green, indicating GPRS atm, it's way slow. I did have a heap of problems connecting. I couldn't in this cooking version so I tried Quirky 1.1 Retro (k2.6.30.5) and had identical error messages, "Error: Bad init string". So I decided to do a sanity check in a fresh frugal of 431 (which, incidentally, I have set up for my Mother-In-Law, with Virgin, E160 :roll: ) and still the same error. Ok, I have a new machine, but it's a generic job, all should work, no other modems to get in the way. I thought it must be a Virgin problem.

I booted back into my bubbling lupu-502 and eventually (after about 10 times) got online, and it's very slow.

Did I mention it's slow? :lol:

I had to add "-chap" to /etc/ppp/options too.

HTH

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mcalex

#538 Post by mcalex »

hey 01micko

yeah, i remember talking (in a post) with you a while back. You had an e169 that was working with 4.3.1 didn't you?

did the -chap thing in 4.3.1. Can't remember if i did it in 5 (in Win atm), but will try next, if I haven't.

pretty sure there's no 'bad init string' message (which sounds like the ATDT stuff the modem sends off is corrupt), just a successful connect followed by modem hangup and error 16.

lupu 502 hey? i only gots 5(00, i guess). will d/load the latest ver to see if it changes things. still puzzled as to why it worked before. hmm, will also try rebooting 4.3.1 to see if i can connect from an old dog :)

*** update ***
changed the apn from virgininternet to virginbroadband
now it's working again. woot!
Last edited by mcalex on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#539 Post by 01micko »

Hi mcalex

(Sorry Richard for the brief hijack)

My 502 is built from Barry's woof. It's not available anywhere. It's just something I did mainly as a woof sanity check plus I recompiled the kernel, a sanity check for that too. At least it's good to know that the 3G stuff works thanks to Richard.

playdayz has just released luci-200, the first pre alpha of 5.1 here.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Insomniacno1

#540 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Wow! This a big thread and many thanks to the author, but could someone please make a small simple thread with complete directions for how to make Huawei E1552 USB 3G modem work on Puppy 4.2.1 full install on HDD.

Thanks in advance

JBJ :D

dejan555

#541 Post by dejan555 »

Hey just wanna say I've managed to connect with my zte mf626 modem using this sakis3g script, for more details:
http://dejan.b0x.me/?p=232
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

roadknight

usb modem PANTECH UML290 #2 connection problems

#542 Post by roadknight »

i am fairly new to Linux. i recently bought Verizon's new 4g usb modem, the pantech uml290 #2. any help getting it working would be appreciated.
I have an older desktop, about 6 years old. it has no wireless card or modems installed to motherboard. it has a new 500gb SATA hd I have puppy 5.1,4.1 and 4.2 installed to hard drive with windows xp pro. also have puppy5.2 on live cd. modem works in windows with the cd installation, but cannot get it to work in any of my puppies or in Ubuntu 9.1.

ubuntu does find the modem but i cannot get it to connect to carrier

from pupdial:
Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Port Scan<*1>: S0 S1 S2 S3
ttyS4<Info>: No such device or address
Port Scan<*1>: S4 ACM1
ttyUSB0<Info>: No such device or address
Port Scan<*1>: USB0
ttyUSB1<Info>: No such device or address
Port Scan<*1>: USB1
ircomm0<Info>: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Port Scan<*1>: ircomm0
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Manufacturer: PCD
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK

Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyACM0.
Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.

*** WARNING! Line "115200"
in /etc/ppp/options may conflict with wvdial!

ttyACM0<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"

according to Verizon my data/calling plan is: 4G MOBILE BROADBAND 5GB

on usb modem found these
MADE IN KOREA PANTECH QUALCOMM 4G
S/N 104700198015
IMEI 990000472087685
FCC ID JYCRAY
PIN UML290VW
CE700

from verizon's VZaccess manager:

Manufacture: PCD
Model: UM290VW
Model Name: PANTECH UML290 #2
Fimware Ver: L0290VWAB43F.214
Hardware Ver: REV_03
MEID: A000001BF1FB70
ERI Ver: 5
Phone Number: (815) 901-1054
MIN: 8157624798
Home SID: 1176
MCC: 311
MNC: 480
RSSI (1xRTT): -86dBm
RSSI (1xEVDO): -81dBm
IMEI: 990000472087685
ICCID: 89148000000002005032
Capabilities: 4g-LTE Digital Data, 1xEVDO (Rev-A) Digital Data, SMS, NDIS
SIM: Ready

APN: vzwinternet

I found a couple of guides to set this up for MAC/LINUX/OTHER OS and tried these

Account Name: 8159011054@vzw4g.com
or: 8159011054@vzw3g.com
password: vzw
dial: #777
no success

swiatmar

#543 Post by swiatmar »

Hello!!

I have a question about huawei e176G.
Anyone was sucessful to connect via this modem?

Does anybody know hoe to manage it in puppy 5.2?

:)
Thanks