Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ghostryder4u

#361 Post by Ghostryder4u »

Thank you for the advice will try and sort this out later this weekend.

Any advice on those netbooks I mentioned guys?

Ghostryder4u

#362 Post by Ghostryder4u »

Ok I tried this but had no success I must state that my knowlege and skill of linux is very poor. I installed the dotpet for altdns 2.2 but still browser would not open a site. Also blinky is no longer showing. both modems appear to working and no odd messages being shown

zygo

#363 Post by zygo »

Ghostryder4u,

I'm no expert but I have some experience.

Before plugging the dongle in start hardinfo from the system menu and click on usb devices. When you plug the dongle in you should see a line added in the top panel. Click on that line and the bottom panel will show details. Wait and the details along with the line should disappear. Then another line should appear. This is evidence of switching. The whole thing should take no more than a minute. Do you see this? I've had to plug in 3 times in the past before this happened.

If the switch took place then try pupdial. Some text appears in the pupdial panel. Wait up to a minute. If blinky doesn't start then you have no connection! Stop pupdial. Try pupdial again.

If you get a connection try to get a couple of pages in the browser. If you can't get a page then start altdns from the menu. Click on opendns. Try the browser again.

Ghostryder4u

#364 Post by Ghostryder4u »

Ok I did that the mdem switching was taking place, pupdial worked the came up with the message not sure what to do tried the aldns but still no page loading, can someone tell me if I was/was not connected would seamonkey still load the globe at the bottom rfight of the page?

zygo

#365 Post by zygo »

I don't know about the globe I don't use seamonkey. It could be a browser problem so try something else. Start Rxvt from the utilitu menu. Copy (by selecting) the line below and paste (by pressing the middle mouse button) on the rxvt window then press enter to execute it.

nslookup www.murga-linux.com

Copy and paste the output to your reply.

There's also Uget download manager in the internet menu.

Ghostryder4u

#366 Post by Ghostryder4u »

Thanks for the advice but at the mo I have major problems puppy has stopped using modems after dialling once it posts a message about a modem disconnected the connection or something like that then can not detect carrier until I click on disconnect. Not sure why its doing that as it was fine the other day. Will try the k3565 later was using the e160

pavl

T-mobile web'n'walk stick & web'n'walk compact card II

#367 Post by pavl »

Hi!

After a lot of puzzling (being new to Puppy and a to Linux in general more or less), I found out that I could get the right drivers for the mentioned cards on http://www.pharscape.org (both are Option cards). The explanation on this site very good, I think. Simply by checking out the right serialnumber you know what to download and install.

After changing wvdial.conf (with /dev/ttyHS1), pupdial sees the modems and can talk to it. So far so good. But.... no connection. No matter what I do (on all the three machines I have running Puppy), the reply in the end is: "Waiting for carrier". This doesn't happen in the only windowsmachine I have left :)

So there it is. Can anybody help me with configuring wvdial.conf in such a way that a connection will be established? I am mostly wondering about the init1, 2, etc, because I think that there is the problem. But maybe I am completely wrong.

To be complete: I use puppy431 and I have a dutch T-mobile contract (the Netherlands so ;))

Thanks to all who are willing to help in advance!

Paul

zygo

#368 Post by zygo »

pavl,

tips for getting the init string(s)

I got a working init string from Puppy. The long way may be needed but try the short way first:
in pupdial click probe
in the new window click erase
then okay in the popup
then click probe
pupdial should now be the only window open showing the correct modem and init string
try to connect

I also got the init string that ms was using (and APN and the fact that no SIM PIN, username nor password was used) but I'm not sure where from. I think it was from the ISP's app while the modem was plugged in but before the connect button is clicked. Or from network neighbourhood.

pavl

Alas, no succes

#369 Post by pavl »

Hi Zygo,

Thanks for your help.

The idea didn't work. I now have a very empty wvdial. One of the problems is also that there is another modem in this machine (for a landline), which pops up as soon as I do not make sure the web'n'walk stick is there.

So... I think I will have to go the hard way. Would you (or someone else) know this way :)

Paul

zygo

#370 Post by zygo »

Open an rxvt window from the menu and execute
ls /dev/modem
post the output into your reply.

pavl

#371 Post by pavl »

well, it just gives back

/dev/modem

By the way: when I use comgt (or wvdial) the modem accepts my pin. To be more precise comgt also lets me know that the modem "sees" T-mobile and that is has registered. Comgt doesn give me the possibilty to connect, at least I do not know how.

Wvdial also excepts the pin etc, but, apparantly doesn't see the carrier....

zygo

#372 Post by zygo »

After an attempt to connect with pupdial copy and past the text from the log panel of pupdial into your reply.

zygo

#373 Post by zygo »

OK what I asked was hard if you'd have to copy to an internet ready pc.

Ah.. Sorry, I should have had the -l param in my last instruction...

What does
ls -l /dev/modem
return?

/dev/modem should link to the modem you want pupdial to use. The following should (from what you wrote earlier) correct that link if it needs it.

Close pupdial
in an rxvt window execute this commands
ln -f /dev/ttyHS1 /dev/modem

pavl

here it is

#374 Post by pavl »

First the ls -l thing:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2009-12-16 19:30 /dev/modem -> ttyHS1

And WvDial:

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: AT+CPIN=2352
AT+CPIN=2352
OK
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
--> Timed out while dialing. Trying again.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
--> Timed out while dialing. Trying again.

pavl

Wait!

#375 Post by pavl »

Zygo,

Before you start working to hard for me (still: *thanks*), I have found a solution for at least one of the sticks I have.

I found this link http://www.equinoxefr.org/post/2008/03/ ... buntu-710/

I couldn't do the ./install.sh, because it was off course for another kernel, but changing conninfo.ini and using ./connect.sh up did the trick. I presume that installing the right drivers from www.pharscape.org (hso driver and ozerocdoff and maybe, but not sure, hso link) I could still use this script (it is a script, no?).

So, that's one stick that works. I will no go home and try if the other one I have there also works.

Again, thanks for helping me!

Paul

pavl

And this one works as well!

#376 Post by pavl »

Zygo and others,

It just works :) Maybe it's a good idea if I write down what I did to get the cards working. I would think that this will work for all Option (or at least t-mobile) cards and sticks in Puppy Linux, but maybe that's overestimated :)

So I am working with Puppy 431 and have a Option Icon 225 (aka t-mobile web'n'walk card) and a Option GT Max HSDPA 7.2 Ready (aka t-mobile web'n'walk compact card II).

First (well first, after a lot of searching :)) I went to http://www.pharscape.org. On this site you can find (via the first two letters of the serial number of the card) the right drivers for the card and the way to install them. For most cards this means two downloads (hso driver and UDEV). All this thanks to the hard work of Paul Beck. Thanks!

It asks for some work in the terminal to install these drivers, but I found that it's explained well, so just try it. The only thing you have to remember is that via a right mouse click in the folder where you have unzipped/untarred the files (which puppy alsmost does automatically) you can open a terminal in this folder (via the menu: window).

If UDEV is giving trouble just do "addgroup dialout" in a terminal, then it should be fixed. I also did in a terminal: ln -sf ttyHS1 /dev/modem. But I am not sure that this is necessary.

Then I went to http://www.equinoxefr.org/post/2008/03/ ... buntu-710/

On this site you find the link to the file http://www.equinoxefr.org/wp-content/up ... /03/3g.tgz. You can go there directy, but it is off course nice to read some French.

Download the file and untar/unzip and go to the folder hso and open conninfo.ini. Change the APN (for t-mobile: internet) and the pin. You can add also a username and password, I think, but I didn't need this (probably via adding USERNAME= and PASSWORD=). I don't know if you can change the phonenumber though, but I understand that the *99# number is pretty much the same all over Europe (and maybe the world?).

After you have changed conninfo, you open a terminal in the folder hso. Then do: ./connect.sh up (don't forget the ./). Wait just half a minute. And voila.

Downside to this methode.

Well, you have to open a terminal each time that you want to go online (always in the folder hso). And to go offline again (but then with ./connect.sh down). Furthermore you have to take the card out and put in in again after a few seconds, before after a ./connect.sh down you can go up again.

Last downside is off course that this methode doesn't work via PupDial. But...since all my laptops still have a modem for a landline, the advantage to this is that PupDial doesn't has to choose between the modems if you want use the 3G sticks. And you don't have to edit wvdial.conf.

But maybe some of the really handy people online here will be able to fix these little problems ;)

So, there it is. Zygo, thank you once more for your help and your replies. I hope that somebody else can again benefit from this little posting.

Paul

P.S. One last edit: please remember that the cards should be put in the slots after puppy is fully loaded. Otherwise connect.sh won't see the card.
Last edited by pavl on Wed 16 Dec 2009, 21:36, edited 6 times in total.

smokey01

Re: Alas, no succes

#377 Post by smokey01 »

pavl wrote:Hi Zygo,

Thanks for your help.

The idea didn't work. I now have a very empty wvdial. One of the problems is also that there is another modem in this machine (for a landline), which pops up as soon as I do not make sure the web'n'walk stick is there.

So... I think I will have to go the hard way. Would you (or someone else) know this way :)

Paul
Paul, I had the same trouble so I removed the internal modem. It usually is a single screw underneath the computer. If you are worried about misplacing the modem, wrap it in cling wrap and put it back in the laptop. Crude but effective.

Smokey

zygo

#378 Post by zygo »

pavl,

I'm glad you're connect with at least one of your 3g things.

Can I ask:
1) when you say "card" do you mean device usb or otherwise?
2) have you tried following rerwin's first posting on this thread?

pavl

#379 Post by pavl »

Zygo,

Both my cards work. One is a USB Stick, the other one a PCIMCIA card.

I tried rerwins information, pets etc, but to no avail. Puppy just wouldn't see the cards. It loaded the hso driver, but the devices were just nowhere to be found, so I couldn't edit wvdial.conf or/and do ln -sf tty... /dev/modem. I couldn't figure out why as you understand (otherwise I would have stopped searching.

kazzamozz

3G Wireless Modem

#380 Post by kazzamozz »

kultex wrote:rerwin,

perhaps you can put following links to your first post:

all the needed data can be found here:

Austria, Germany,Switzerland: http://linux.frankenberger.at/Huawei_E220_Daten.html

rest of the World:http://www.flexispy.com/Mobile%20APN%20 ... 20GPRS.htm
Hi Rerwin & thanks for the link Kultex
this is a very important post I found quite by accident going through your 3G information. The information is a great help for the GPRS settings. I had previously been entering my own account and phone number information into GPRS connect as I could not get pupdial to work for me. I have a vodafone K3715 usb modem. To be able to get on as a guest is much better (I think). Will find out on the next bill! :lol:

I have tested this vodafone on many flavours of puppy using GPRS connect with success and without having to install various pets. I am currently on holidays on the coast and reception has been pretty poor until today. I have brought with me many versions of puppy live CDs which I am going to boot and see how many I can get to happily trigger my modem and connect without having to do anything else. I will update as I go.

To date I have used it successfully with
Muppy, All Linux browsers and Jemimahs puppeees, Growler, Teenpup 2009 legacy, Macpup E17. New years pup. There are more but will list these on another post.
We also have another vodafone wireless card adapter which is quite fussy that I have not tried under puppy yet but will today. Up to now we have only used it under Windoze (snore) it is a company one. Will see what puppy thinks of it. Will give you the exact model when I have started testing.

I know you have been working tirelessly to get dialup modem and GPrs connect to be as easy and seamless as possible so hopefully some of my information can help. I have just received my 3rd bill from Vodafone and there are no charges or anything unexpected on it I have a 5GB limit with no roaming costs. I have not used it under windoze for over 3 months now. I have been offline for a bit due to health but am slowly getting back into the stream of the puppy forum again. Have definitely used the modem though it was a godsend while recovering at our holiday house, as we don't have any cable I would have gone nuts without it.

Again thanks for the great effort it's very much appreciated :D

Cheers
Kazzamozz