A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

#286 Post by rerwin »

mcalex,
This is looking good! All is well up to the point of actually connecting:
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
I get this if I mistype my Username. I understand that Virgin does not need a username and password, but wvdial does, I have seen examples of "username", "password", and "1234" in both. Apparently you are receiving a prompt that PupDial is not expecting. You did not say you selected "Stupid mode", but I think you really need that; so try that before anything else.

About the PIN: If it was rejected, either it isthe wrong value or the PIN was disabled, at some point, probably in Windows. Anyway, pupdial is handling that as I expect.

About files to send me: The mode-switch log is /tmp/usb_modeswitch.log; ozerocdoff.log is for the HSDPA (hso driver) modems. A possible clue as to what is wrong might be found in /etc/ppp/connect-errors, so please include that file.

It is probably unnecessary, but I ran across an example where the "solution was an APN of "VIRGININTERNET" in all caps. My guess, though, is that he previously had no APN, and that VI tolerates several combinations of upper/lower cases. You might verify that.

BTW, the udevtrace.log hints at a way to determine the correct ttyUSB number. The interesting uevents are:
add_ttyUSB2_usb-serial_0x1106_0x3038_usb:v12D1p1001d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF
add_usbdev1.10_ep85_usb_endpoint_0x1106_1-2.2:1.2_usb:v12D1p1001d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF
add_usbdev1.10_ep05_usb_endpoint_0x1106_1-2.2:1.2_usb:v12D1p1001d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF
Maybe the "ep85" and "ep05" are indicators. I will check some logs for other modems to see if those "eps" associate with whichever ttyUSB number works for them.

I think you are close to success. We just need to determine how to talk to Virgin Internet.
Richard

kultex

#287 Post by kultex »

installed 3G_pupdial-wireless-12.pet - but the situation is like before - dmesg is fine, but the modem is not recogniced - only if I edit by hand wvdial.conf the modem to /dev/ttyUSB0 it is detected and I can connect.
Attachments
huawei-E220-7.tar.gz
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 500 times

mcalex

#288 Post by mcalex »

next round

Stupid Mode: no I didn't have this set. I've pretty much left PupDial as it came out of the box, except for the changes I've mentioned. Currently carrier detect is off, busy signal and the other one in the top left are on (i'm in windows again and working from memory). Stupid mode is off, auto-reconnect is on. I have been using ppp/ppp as user/pass, but tried username/password tonight

okies: Turned on stupid mode, changed user/pass, hit connect to internet. copied results from PupDial's status connection log window in to the attached statusConnectionStupidLog.txt. Also attached are the /tmp/udev*.log files and /tmp/usb_modeswitch.log. /etc/ppp/connect-errors is empty.

Basically it turned pppd on straight away, and about 30 seconds later fell over with hangup exit = 16. As per yesterday, the auto-reconnect fell over with no carrier detected. Both times, when I've rebooted into windows, i've had to disconnect/reconnect the modem from the USB hub before i can get past: Error 678, the remote computer did not respond (again, from memory). I don't know how significant this is.

Also, once i hit the 'no carrier detected' error, no other attempts to connect could get past that, so when I went back into PupDial and tried VIRGININTERNET as apn, all I got was no carrier detected.

cool with the pin. I thought 'bad connection string' indicated some sort of syntax error rather than a rejected key, but if you're happy, i'm happy.

Re: getting to talk to VI. The modem box says works with Win & Mac, but do you think it might be worth it for me to actually try to talk to their tech support, & see if there's a penguin-head in the bunch. Account support isn't exactly merit-worthy and now I think about it, their web site doesn't scream technical brilliance, so I think i'm answering my own question. I might fire off an email and continue if i get better than: 'We're sorry, VI only supports Vista, XP & Mac OS. Please see the terms of service at ..." as a reply :)

Next. Will try the full CAPS in the apn, and do the disconnect/reconnect thing to see if that gets the modem to detect carriers again. It still likes ttyUSB2, do i try USB0 again (or even USB1) or are we happy that USB2 is where it should be found?
Attachments
puppyLogs3.zip
(8.71 KiB) Downloaded 399 times

Boneo

Problem getting onto the internet

#289 Post by Boneo »

I'm running Puppy 4.2 from a USB stick on my Acer A0 and did manage a couple of weeks back to configure my unlock Huawei e272 and connect to the internet with 3G. I then played around with MWconn under Wine because I want to send SMS text messages. I then lost 3G so removed and re-installed the packages needed for 3G.

I appear to connect with 3G using Desktop's "Connect" this is also confirmed by the blue light going solid on the e272. However when I open a browser there's no internet. (I haven't sellected to work off-line.)

What's happened? Why can't I connect to the internet? Have I forgotten something.

I didn't find tmp/ozerocdoff.log is this significant?
Attachments
Huawei_e272.zip
(5.73 KiB) Downloaded 488 times

Aitch

#290 Post by Aitch »

Rich
I think you are close to success. We just need to determine how to talk to Virgin Internet.
As a Virgin user, I often find people need help getting Virgin to connect with both wired and wireless
The problem seems to be that they/Virgin have specific DNS IPs which if not entered, cause a 'You are connected to the gateway/router but the internet cannot be found' response

I manually add 194.168.4.100 & 194.168.8.100 in advanced settings & it works

Another option is to use OpenDNS, which reportedly is faster anyway

https://www.opendns.com/start/

Hope this helps

Aitch :)

rerwin

#291 Post by rerwin »

Aitch,
Thank you for adding information about which I am clueless.
I manually add 194.168.4.100 & 194.168.8.100 in advanced settings & it works
Where would I find the "advanced settings" fields? This might be a reason to add a "special cases" piece to pupdial. And how does opendns help here? How do you use it in this case?

Boneo,
Beyond installing puppy 4.2(.1?), have you done anything to install the wireless modem support provided in this thread? You need the dotpets:
3G_pupdial-wireless-12.pet
usb_modeswitch-1.0.2.pet
and maybe special versions of some drivers, but wait for those until you have tried these. If you still have problems, please attach the requested logs to a posting. BTW, ozerocdoff.log is for modems that use the HSO driver; yours uses the OPTION driver and generates usb_modeswitch.log. Be sure to use the Connect option "Internet by analog dialup modem" (which is being re-labeled as "Internet by dialup analog or wireless modem").

mcalex,
Sorry to be neglecting you. I have been concentrating on modem drivers for the 4.3beta2. I am also short on ideas on how to advise you. I hope Aitch's info is helpful.

kultex,
Thanks for the feedback. I do not expect any improvement over -11 and patch 4, but it is good to hear I didn't damage anything in -12. I am now preoccupied with modem drivers for 4.3beta2, but expect soon to research why the driver does not load when the modem device is first detected. I will have a debug-patch for you to try, when I am able to devise one.
Richard

Aitch

#292 Post by Aitch »

Hi Rich

mmmm - maybe it's getting confusing, because I spend a lot of time answering noobie posts on not getting on the net/no connection, most of which is to do with wired/wireless connections
AFAIK, most 3G devices also double as wifi devices [correct me if I'm wrong....???] and I was thinking it may be related...?

hence, also ....I'm used to dealing with the network wizard...which is where advanced settings is found - setting up IP addresses

DNS issues are about converting browser text strings into IP addresses, and Virgin DNS fails more often than not, I don't know why
Open DNS is a substitute for Virgin's IP addresses I listed
A cache is created once a textstring is converted so the DNS doesn't get called so often, to speed up the process

I'm not clear in my mind the difference between what you're doing, which is more modem call related, I think, and problems people are reporting and what I'm referring to......so I could be off-beam......hope I haven't misled anyone

oops, nearly forgot.... you must remember to top-up your 3G sim account or you can't get on the net, either... :wink:

good luck

Boneo

3G connected but no internet

#293 Post by Boneo »

Thanks rerwin for the reply.

As far as I am aware I am doing what is needed to connect with 3G. I have installed the usual packages for my Huawei e272, the main 3G wireless pet, the usb mode switch and the lastest patch. I can get a dialogue box saying something like-

Carrier detected, waiting for prompt
Dont know what to do and hoping for the best
starting pppd
pid of ppd: 9646

but nothing happens when I open a browser, no internet.

rerwin

#294 Post by rerwin »

Boneo,
Please note that the patches are for the old "-11" version of 3G_pupdial, although I don't think it should cause a problem if you apply it to "-12", which already contains patch4. Patch5 might cause trouble because it shortens some wait times that may be too "tight". So just use "-12" without any patch.

Out of desperation, you might try a workaround that was necessary for connecting to VirginBroadband:
One final important step was necessary--

edit /etc/ppp/options, and add the line
-chap
The dialog about the issue starts here, in case it might also apply to your flavor of Virgin: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 053#315053
Richard

mcalex

#295 Post by mcalex »

hi richard

np about the neglect, lol. i'm happy to stay low priority, i'm only playing.

have been trying different versions of the apn, including VirginBroadband; same results

will have a look at Aitch's suggestions and see if i can muck around in the network area.

will post logs & stuff when I remember to copy 'em to my thumb drive, or mnted windows.

cheers

alix_board

Huawei E170 works

#296 Post by alix_board »

Hi Richard,

thanks a lot!

Now my Huawei Model E170 was located in Puppy and i can make a connection! I have install 3G_pupdial-wireless-12.pet and usb_modeswitch-1.0.2.pet from your thread, nothing else!

When i make a connection with PupDial, i will become the followin message:

Code: Select all

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","a1.net"
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","a1.net"
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
--> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Wed Sep  2 08:36:20 2009
--> pid of pppd: 23503
What does this mean in detail? Because, i can not open any HTML Site via seamonkey!?!? So, when i connect with eth0 (ethernet) i can now also not connect any HTML Site. Maybe some configurations are changed by installing the two module?

greets,
alix_board

rerwin

#297 Post by rerwin »

alix_board,
Good going. At least the latest dotpets do what I intended, in that they got a carrier. Now we need to know what to expect from your provider and what they expect from you.

First, I wonder if you are using a valid APN. Maybe we can find out what your modem has already stored in it, by editing the wvdial.conf file. Find near the end of it the line beginning with "#Init8" and remove the "#". You can do the same to the next line, "#Init9". Then try to connect again. The log should show a response to those queries. I am hoping it shows your APN as something other than "a1.net", although that looks reasonable.

Second, be sure you are using correct username and password, if they are required, or maybe "internet" in both. If that reveals nothing, can you get the correct values from your provider? If you use the modem with Windows, can you see what that system uses?

Is there someone near you familiar with your provider who can help us? Is there anything specific to your provider that could affect your ability to connect? As you might guess, I am "running on empty" here.
Richard

dejan555

#298 Post by dejan555 »

Sorry I wasn't following, did you figure out ZTE 626 modem problem?
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

kultex

#299 Post by kultex »

alixboard,

the output looks fine - you should be connected already to Internet

try to boot from usb-stick without saving - no problem for the the alix board - so you are sure you have nothing changed - and perhaps it is better to use boxpuphttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 98&t=41378 with Opera

I continue in German:

hier sind zur Sicherheit die Zugangsdaten Zugangsdaten für A1
APN= A1.net - hast eh verwendet - aber eventuell A1.net und nicht a1.net
User: ppp@aplus.at User: ppp@a1plus.at funktioniert nicht - zumindest bei mir
Pass: ppp
Nummer: *99#
DNS: 194.48.124.200 und 194.48.139.254 wird aber im Prinzip nicht gebraucht

ich habe festgestellt, dass seamonkey manchmal spinnt und abstürzt - Opera ist da zuverlässiger - zumindest zum Testen

kultex

#300 Post by kultex »

rerwin,

perhaps you can put following links to your first post:

all the nedded data can be found heer:

Austria, Germany,Switzerland: http://linux.frankenberger.at/Huawei_E220_Daten.html

rest of the World:
http://www.flexispy.com/Mobile%20APN%20 ... 20GPRS.htm

kultex

#301 Post by kultex »

rerwin,

perhaps you can put following links to your first post:

all the needed data can be found here:

Austria, Germany,Switzerland: http://linux.frankenberger.at/Huawei_E220_Daten.html

rest of the World:http://www.flexispy.com/Mobile%20APN%20 ... 20GPRS.htm

Aitch

#302 Post by Aitch »

Nice find kultex

.....seems to show the significance of my reported DNS numbers, too

see also

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do-i- ... sktop.html

and dnsmasq/dns cache/useful info [though it's for *buntu so needs modifying for root puppy

http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/08/02/loc ... -browsing/

also here

http://paragasu.wordpress.com/2008/11/2 ... h-dnsmasq/

note:
Another interesting package that does the same thing is pdnsd. The best thing about pdnsd is, it saves the dns cache in disk which is still available even after you reboot.
worth considering?

HTH

alix_board

#303 Post by alix_board »

@rewin:
when i change the line #init8 and #init9 in wvdial.conf i have start the PupDial - modem dialup to connect to the internet. But the changed values was not saved in wvdial.conf!? Is it possible that this file will be overwrite after saving with it original values?

@kultex:
Here are the original values for APN A1:
http://www.a1.net/CDA/navigation/pp4_fr ... de,00.html

There are the same as you use!

alix_board

#304 Post by alix_board »

So, now i have install opera - but i do not work :-( !

I think there are some network setting, which was changed by installing the pakets above -- is that possible?

Here is the message from ifconfig

Code: Select all

ppp0    Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
           inet addr:92.248.108.158  P-t-P:10.64.64.64   Mask:255.255.255.255
           UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
           RX packets:7  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0  frame:0
           TX packets:8  errors:0  dropped:0  overruns:0  carrier:0
           collisions:0  txqueuelen:3
           RX bytes:118 (118.0 B)   TX bytes:157 (157.0 B)
The next problem is, that i can not ping for example google.at, i can only ping its IP adresse 216.239.59.104:

So i think that a can connect to internet, because skype works! Maybe there are some problems with resolving the DNS?

alix_board

resolv.conf

#305 Post by alix_board »

Hi @ all,

no it works great!

I create resolv.conf with the DNS of A1 and saved it in /etc --> that was the conclusion :-) !