Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kultex

#271 Post by kultex »

rerwin,

I am also a bit confused:

there is no file: /etc/init.d/Option

There is an entry: option:option.ko, but without # - so there is nothing to do

in which script I shall change the time?

I erased the Modem - and it is not found by the system - even with probe, it does not found.

But it is present - here dmesg.

Code: Select all

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
option 1-2:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
option 1-2:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
usbcore: registered new interface driver option
drivers/usb/serial/option.c: USB Driver for GSM modems: v0.7.1 
only if I edit by hand wvdial.conf the modem to /dev/ttyUSB0 it is detected and I can connect.

I hope this helps a little bit .....
Attachments
huawei-E220-6.tar.gz
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 402 times

rerwin

#272 Post by rerwin »

kultex,
Thanks for running that test. It confirms my fear that we have not actually mastered the startup timing. The logs show that the mode-switch took place and that the option driver was probably loaded by our second modprobe. It might be that a second bootup would take, without touching wvdial.conf.

I am concerned that we don't see confirmation that the original modprobe of the option driver was actually done, although the script probably got placed where it should be. (because that happens before the actual modprobe). That's been nagging me for a while.

I know it is late for you tonight, so I will later add suggestions and maybe an updated patch5 for you to try at your convenience. But I will go ahead and submit something for the pending 4.3 beta and hope to update that once we figure this out.

Thanks for continuing with this. I know you are going to be busy for awhile, so please work this only when you can spare the time. There is no deadline for getting it right.
Richard

divisionmd

Option Icon 225

#273 Post by divisionmd »

Hello,

- Going bananas over my 3G device - spent alot of hours and now i am stuck.

- I have a 3G modem "Option Icon 225".

- And i have gotten so far that when i try to connect this happens:

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: AT+CPIN=1234
AT+CPIN=1234
OK
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATX1DT*99***1#
--> Waiting for carrier.

But nothing more happens... ?

- This is the log:

- /tmp/pup_event_module_devpath_log:

ODULE=hso DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb3/3-1/3-1:1.0
# MODULE=fan DEVPATH=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXTHERM:00/PNP0C0B:00
# MODULE=usbhid DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.0
# MODULE=usbhid DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.1
# MODULE=evdev DEVPATH=/devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input2
# MODULE=evdev DEVPATH=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input4
# MODULE=evdev DEVPATH=/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input3
# MODULE=hso DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb3/3-1/3-1:1.0

- /tmp/udevtrace-modem.log:

usb_v0af0_p6971_d0000_dcff_icff_usb_interface_Option N.V._Globetrotter HSDPA Modem_
tty__Add_device_node_link_for_HSOTYPE_Diagnostic
usb_v0af0_p6971_d0000_dcff_icff_usb_interface_Option N.V._Globetrotter HSDPA Modem_
tty_ttyHS2
tty__Add_device_node_link_for_HSOTYPE_Control
tty__Add_device_node_link_for_HSOTYPE_Application
tty_ttyHS1
tty_ttyHS0

- /tmp/udevtrace.log:

add_ttyHS2_tty_0x8086_3-1:1.1_usb:v0AF0p6971d0000dcFFdscFFdpFFicFFiscFFipFF
add_hso0_net_0x8086_3-1:1.0_usb:v0AF0p6971d0000dcFFdscFFdpFFicFFiscFFipFF
add_ttyHS1_tty_0x8086_3-1:1.0_usb:v0AF0p6971d0000dcFFdscFFdpFFicFFiscFFipFF
add_ttyHS0_tty_0x8086_3-1:1.0_usb:v0AF0p6971d0000dcFFdscFFdpFFicFFiscFFipFF
add_usbdev3.4_ep03_usb_endpoint_0x8086_3-1:1.0_usb:v0AF0p6971d0000dcFFdscFFdpFFicFFiscFFipFF
add_usbdev3.4_ep85_usb_endpoint_0x8086_3-1:1.0_usb:v0AF0p6971d0000dcFFdscFFdpFFicFFiscFFipFF
add_usbdev3.4_ep83_usb_endpoint_0x8086_3-1:1.0_usb:v0AF0p6971d0000dcFFdscFFdpFFicFFiscFFipFF

- /tmp/ozerocdoff.log:

/usr/sbin/ozerocdoff -wi 0x6971 -l /tmp/ozerocdoff.log
Successfully ZERO-CD disabled

- Before i connect i execute this:

modprobe hso
modprobe option
modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0af0 product=0x6971

echo "Echo PIN code ttyHS0"
echo AT+CPIN=1234 > /dev/ttyHS0
sleep 1
echo "AT+CPIN=1234" > /dev/ttyHS0
sleep 1

echo "Echo PIN code ttyHS2"
echo AT+CPIN=1234> /dev/ttyHS2
sleep 1
echo "AT+CPIN=1234" > /dev/ttyHS2
sleep 1

usb_modeswitch

then i get the message that the modem is switched.

- Modem works fine on Windows.

- Also tested to type "ATZ" to init string "2" but that did not help.

Thanks for all help,

Best regards,
Johan

alix_board

#274 Post by alix_board »

Hi @ all,

i have a Huawei E170 Wireless Modem and have already install the 3G pupdial wireless patch4. I do not have many experience with puppy, still :-) !

How i can install now the modem? I have already try the Network Wizard (Autoload USB) - but it does not work. Maybe someone can give me an instruction?

Thanks a lot!

greets,
alix_board

rerwin

#275 Post by rerwin »

alix_board,
You have come to the right place to request help. I see that you earlier posted your information here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 527#332131
That gives me something to work with.

The first problem is that the wireless modem support began on kernel 2.6.25.16. I have not tested on the "retro" 2.6.21.7 kernel and suspect that there is no "option" driver there. I have compiled updated drivers for the 2.6.25.16 kernel, but they won't help you until you upgrade to the "standard" 2.6.25.16 kernel.

Once you are on Puppy 4.1.2 or 4.2.1 "standard", please review the first post in this thread, to understand what to do. To summarize that, you need to download the "3G pupdial", "usb_modeswitch", patched option driver, patched usb-storage driver and 3G...patch4 dotpets mentioned there.

But be warned: we are having difficulties with the Huawei modems being recognized. Please reboot twice after installation, to give it a chance. If it doesn't work after you have done everything right, I will need your help/feedback to get the problem corrected. Be sure to have the modem plugged in when you boot up. You may need to unplug and replug it after you are up and running after two bootups.

Thanks for joining us.
Richard

rerwin

Re: Option Icon 225

#276 Post by rerwin »

divisionmd,
Thanks for moving our discussion of this subject from our PM exchanges to this thread, fo all to see. Because you began by attempting to use your modem in a non-puppy kernel, I requested you to start with this project on Puppy 4.1.2 and install the dotpets appropriate to your "HSO" modem (3G_pupdial-11, hso, hso-udev, and 3G...patch4). I also requested that you avoid confusing me by your entering your own modprobe and other commands.

Your posting shows that you are going in that direction, but I really cannot help you once you start improvising with your own script or commands. My goal is to help you and others to get the HSO modems working in Puppy without your having to do anything but tell PupDial what you need and let it try to do it. I need to know where that process fails, so I can solve it for everyone.

Please make a clean test run and attach a tarball containing the log files requested in the first post of the thread, the files you have listed parts of in your posting. Remember, you may be the first to try this, so there may still be a bug that gets in the way and needs to be squashed. The issue of the appropriate way to start the (hso, option) driver is still a "work in progress", as you can see in my dialog with kultex.

Thanks for helping us get this right.
Richard

mcalex

huawei e169

#277 Post by mcalex »

Hi rerwin / all

just checking whether I should post problems with the above modem here or start a new thread?

I've installed the 3G wireless 11 pet, and just downloaded patch 5 to see if that works, but up til now the best I can do is get my modem recognised (on tty/usb2) but only at a speed of 9600. Obviously, I'm not posting from puppy, so I'll finish this, log on to puppy and test the patch 5. If it still doesn't work, like I said, do i post here or in a new thread, and can I get an idea of the log file entries I should copy to the post?

cheers
mcalex

rerwin

#278 Post by rerwin »

mcalex,
Thanks for joining this thread. I assume you refer to the Icon 225, which uses the hso driver. I am impressed that you do connect. Yes, this is the place to discuss problems with any of the wireless modems, so that I can perfect the support for them, to get you and others going.

From what I see in this thread and elsewhere, the indicated modem speed is of no consequence. The modems work fine even if the value is 9600. You might try a probe>PROBE to watch how the value is determined, but you may well end up with a different value, probably larger.

Could you attach the /tmp/udevtrace files and /tmp/ozerocdoff.log file, so I can see what happened to allow you some success? Keep in mind that I depend on others for feedback, because I cannot test any modem of my own (because I don't have any). Thanks.
Richard

rerwin

3G_pupdial-wireless-12 uploaded

#279 Post by rerwin »

I have consolidated the patches (except patch5) into an updated "-12" dotpet. It uses approximately the same mode-switching delay times as earlier; patch5 shortened them, but may have made things worse. Here is my update to the download posting:

UPDATE 8/22/09: I have replaced the main dotpet with 3G_pupdial-wireless-12. This includes the improvements in the "-11" patches and the 4.3 beta2 release (assuming they are accepted), plus support of a few additional modems. (I will remove the "-11" verson shortly.) This new version changes support of PINs and APNs, so that the PIN is issued only once per session and APNs are now associated with each dialup account. A pulse-dial (ATDP) setting is now retained. Certain Huawei modems may now be detected.
NOTE: I have not upgraded to usb_modeswitch-1.0.3 because it no longer appears to support command-line parameters, which Puppy uses. It stops with a segmentation fault.

This gives us a new baseline for trying debug patches to better understand the issues with detection of the Huawei modems that do not change IDs when mode-switching. I need to do some investigation of the loading process, because the option driver does not appear to be loaded when I think it ought to be, which impacts detection.

As usual, please report any problems you have with the updated package, but only if you do not interfere with the startup process by interjecting other commands. I need your cooperation, to make wireless-modem support better. Thanks.
Richard

mcalex

#280 Post by mcalex »

hi rerwin, no, I've got a huawei e169 (I typed it in the subject, but it's very non-prominent - will remember to include all details in the body hence :)

Puppy can see my modem (with your -11.pet, it was on tty/USB2, but with the -12.pet it's now on tty/USB0), but when it tries to connect, I get a 'no carrier detected' error. I've switched the Carrier Detect option on and off, both in the pupdial gui and the wvconf file, but to no effect. Also, I'm not sure what to do with the PIN. When I add the 6-digit code I was given (which was called the pin by the virgin ppl), I get 'invalid connection string' (or similar) error messages. Am typing from memory at work, so not 100% sure of the error syntax.

I have been playing with settings, so I'll boot up a clean puppy, and install the latest pets. As I understand it, I want 3G_pupdial-wireless-12.pet, usb_modeswitch-1.0.2.pet but not the patch 5 that I had installed (against the -11.pet). Is this right?

cheers
mcalex

rerwin

#281 Post by rerwin »

mcalex,
Sorry for missing the modem type in the subject. You seem to be doing the right things, but left out this from the first posting here:
6. Tips for some special situations:
a. To override the default number for ttyUSB0, change the number in /etc/modemttyUSBnum; some modems use ttyUSB2.
That is an issue yet to be automated. Maybe the modem info extracted by usb_modeswitch can be used to determine which modems need the USB2.

You are correct in not using any of the old patches. (I need to update the first posting to take out all references to them.) If you have needed the special versions of the option and usb_storage drivers (also on the first post) before, you will continue to need them with 4.1.2 or 4.2.1.

The PIN issue depends on your situation. If you have disabled it in Windows, you should not use the PIN in Puppy. Otherwise I would think you need it. But now, it will be sent only on the first connection attempt. So, if it fails, simply disconnect and reconnect in pupdial.

mcalex

#282 Post by mcalex »

hi rerwin

ok, clean booted puppy, installed 3G_pupdial-wireless-12.pet, and rebooted.

hit connect, told the connect dlg that I wanted to run PupDial when i clicked it next time.
hit connect again, when the PupDial window came up, I changed the phone number (as given when the modem was bought), user/pass to ppp/ppp and apn to virgininternet *

* ISP is pre-paid through Virgin Broadband. The modem came in a dvd box with a label on the back saying 'Your new number is:' and then gave a mobile-type phone number (xxxx xxx xxx) which I'm using. What is the *99# that I've seen used in threads, and should I try that? I needed a name for the account login, but don't think there is one just to get online and the ppp/ppp combination seems commonly used, so i put that in. A local techy forum (whirlpool.net.au from memory) said their apn was virgininternet. I've tried virginbroadband previously with no difference to any results.

PupDial responded with No Carrier! Trying again.

I've attached two udev* files from /tmp, but could not find /tmp/ozerocdoff.log. I've also copied the connection status log from PupDial.

Next: I haven't yet installed the usb_modeswitch. That's my next step, and i'll post the logs when i try to connect after that. Atm, I'm not expecting it to make any difference as it was installed on previous attempts with the same end result. Wanted clean logs to upload, so you can see diffs (assuming that'll help).

Also, not sure about the USB0 vs USB2 issue. Had changed /etc/modemttyUSBnum from 0 to 2 previously, but think the probe in PupDial still saw it in USB0. Not 100% sure, maybe I just didn't reboot. Plan now is to try everything in USB0, then when/if that fails, try everything again after changing the /etc file to USB2.

hth with yr diagnostics
excellent work, btw.

cheers

--------------
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
1.48 GHz
256 MB Ram
wireless USB Mouse
'purple-plug' keyboard
Huawei E169 wireless b/band modem
Using Puppy 4.2.1
Attachments
puppyLogs.zip
Log files
(3.11 KiB) Downloaded 369 times

rerwin

#283 Post by rerwin »

mcalex,
Thanks for the logs. They are my first look at the debug info I added to the init script and confirm my suspicion that the events with "icff" are not indications that the switch occurred -- that is important (to me) to establish!
ok, clean booted puppy, installed 3G_pupdial-wireless-12.pet, and rebooted.
. . .
Next: I haven't yet installed the usb_modeswitch. That's my next step,
You need to install both if you expect any good results. Even though the modem side of the device appears in the trace logs, I suspect that does not mean the device switched into modem mode, especially since you left out the switcher.

Re the phone number: I suspect the normal-looking number you used is your phone's number, that others would call you by on a cell phone on the same account. For the modem, I would try the phone number *99# and VirginInternet (upper-case V and I) for the APN. Or try leaving out the APN altogether, since it might already be stored in the modem.

Re probing not trying USB2: That's interesting. It always tries ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1, which are predefined in Puppy. My guess is that there is no /dev/ttyUSB2 -- please verify that. My understanding is that ttyUSB2 may get created as part of the mode-switch operation, which is not getting done. Also see if /dev/ttyUSB2 exists after the mode switching.

One more time...
Richard

mimeini

HUAWEI E169 and denmark calling (solved)

#284 Post by mimeini »

hi

In 24 May 2009 i Post subject: HUAWEI E169 and Denmark calling. By the time I could not get modem detected. To day I downloaded the latest packages (12) and tried again on my asus eee and now i got it working. After half an our I could not get any pages down. I had to reboot and this time I activate the "stupid man" option and deactivate the "automate". I don't know if that was the reason but now it worked again. Thanks for all the work rerwin now I can go back to using puppy linux in my everyday life... puppy Linux is so much faster and nicer than ubuntu.

thanks
Mikkel

mcalex

#285 Post by mcalex »

hi Richard

okies, installed usb_modeswitch-1.0.2.pet

hit connect, changed phone number to *99#, camel capped VirginInternet
hit connect to internet.
got further this time, as you can see from the logs. same files as last time, still no (/tmp/ozerocdoff.log), but name appended with '2'
tried adding the pin got bad connect string again. copied log from PupDial's connection status log window to connectionStatusWithPinLog.txt (Note, changed digits in PIN to '*'s)
removed 'VirginInternet' from apn field and tried to connect again
Same deal as with the apn. Carrier detected, don't know what to do, starting pppd, PPP daemon died: hang up (exit code = 16)

Shut down PupDial
checked for /dev/ttyUSB2: it exists.
opened /etc/modemttyUSBnum changed this to 2.
rebooted

opened PupDial
checked for /dev/ttyUSB2: it exists
PupDial still had ttyUSB0 in the 'test' box near top right of PupDial
clicked 'probe' button. output copied from connection status log window to connectionStatusProbeLog.txt, but basically it's got ttyUSB2 :) and my modem is back to 9600 :(

clicked connect to internet
same same - carrier detected, waiting; kicking off pppd, then hanging up with exit code = 16.

This time however on automatic reconnect, it was back to no carrier detected.
copied the two udev files in /tmp as udev*3.log also copied /tmp/usb_modeswitch.log coz i thought it might help

anything else I can try ... files I can send ....

cheers
mcalex
Attachments
puppyLogs2.zip
more logs
(8.46 KiB) Downloaded 392 times

rerwin

#286 Post by rerwin »

mcalex,
This is looking good! All is well up to the point of actually connecting:
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
I get this if I mistype my Username. I understand that Virgin does not need a username and password, but wvdial does, I have seen examples of "username", "password", and "1234" in both. Apparently you are receiving a prompt that PupDial is not expecting. You did not say you selected "Stupid mode", but I think you really need that; so try that before anything else.

About the PIN: If it was rejected, either it isthe wrong value or the PIN was disabled, at some point, probably in Windows. Anyway, pupdial is handling that as I expect.

About files to send me: The mode-switch log is /tmp/usb_modeswitch.log; ozerocdoff.log is for the HSDPA (hso driver) modems. A possible clue as to what is wrong might be found in /etc/ppp/connect-errors, so please include that file.

It is probably unnecessary, but I ran across an example where the "solution was an APN of "VIRGININTERNET" in all caps. My guess, though, is that he previously had no APN, and that VI tolerates several combinations of upper/lower cases. You might verify that.

BTW, the udevtrace.log hints at a way to determine the correct ttyUSB number. The interesting uevents are:
add_ttyUSB2_usb-serial_0x1106_0x3038_usb:v12D1p1001d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF
add_usbdev1.10_ep85_usb_endpoint_0x1106_1-2.2:1.2_usb:v12D1p1001d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF
add_usbdev1.10_ep05_usb_endpoint_0x1106_1-2.2:1.2_usb:v12D1p1001d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF
Maybe the "ep85" and "ep05" are indicators. I will check some logs for other modems to see if those "eps" associate with whichever ttyUSB number works for them.

I think you are close to success. We just need to determine how to talk to Virgin Internet.
Richard

kultex

#287 Post by kultex »

installed 3G_pupdial-wireless-12.pet - but the situation is like before - dmesg is fine, but the modem is not recogniced - only if I edit by hand wvdial.conf the modem to /dev/ttyUSB0 it is detected and I can connect.
Attachments
huawei-E220-7.tar.gz
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 500 times

mcalex

#288 Post by mcalex »

next round

Stupid Mode: no I didn't have this set. I've pretty much left PupDial as it came out of the box, except for the changes I've mentioned. Currently carrier detect is off, busy signal and the other one in the top left are on (i'm in windows again and working from memory). Stupid mode is off, auto-reconnect is on. I have been using ppp/ppp as user/pass, but tried username/password tonight

okies: Turned on stupid mode, changed user/pass, hit connect to internet. copied results from PupDial's status connection log window in to the attached statusConnectionStupidLog.txt. Also attached are the /tmp/udev*.log files and /tmp/usb_modeswitch.log. /etc/ppp/connect-errors is empty.

Basically it turned pppd on straight away, and about 30 seconds later fell over with hangup exit = 16. As per yesterday, the auto-reconnect fell over with no carrier detected. Both times, when I've rebooted into windows, i've had to disconnect/reconnect the modem from the USB hub before i can get past: Error 678, the remote computer did not respond (again, from memory). I don't know how significant this is.

Also, once i hit the 'no carrier detected' error, no other attempts to connect could get past that, so when I went back into PupDial and tried VIRGININTERNET as apn, all I got was no carrier detected.

cool with the pin. I thought 'bad connection string' indicated some sort of syntax error rather than a rejected key, but if you're happy, i'm happy.

Re: getting to talk to VI. The modem box says works with Win & Mac, but do you think it might be worth it for me to actually try to talk to their tech support, & see if there's a penguin-head in the bunch. Account support isn't exactly merit-worthy and now I think about it, their web site doesn't scream technical brilliance, so I think i'm answering my own question. I might fire off an email and continue if i get better than: 'We're sorry, VI only supports Vista, XP & Mac OS. Please see the terms of service at ..." as a reply :)

Next. Will try the full CAPS in the apn, and do the disconnect/reconnect thing to see if that gets the modem to detect carriers again. It still likes ttyUSB2, do i try USB0 again (or even USB1) or are we happy that USB2 is where it should be found?
Attachments
puppyLogs3.zip
(8.71 KiB) Downloaded 399 times

Boneo

Problem getting onto the internet

#289 Post by Boneo »

I'm running Puppy 4.2 from a USB stick on my Acer A0 and did manage a couple of weeks back to configure my unlock Huawei e272 and connect to the internet with 3G. I then played around with MWconn under Wine because I want to send SMS text messages. I then lost 3G so removed and re-installed the packages needed for 3G.

I appear to connect with 3G using Desktop's "Connect" this is also confirmed by the blue light going solid on the e272. However when I open a browser there's no internet. (I haven't sellected to work off-line.)

What's happened? Why can't I connect to the internet? Have I forgotten something.

I didn't find tmp/ozerocdoff.log is this significant?
Attachments
Huawei_e272.zip
(5.73 KiB) Downloaded 488 times

Aitch

#290 Post by Aitch »

Rich
I think you are close to success. We just need to determine how to talk to Virgin Internet.
As a Virgin user, I often find people need help getting Virgin to connect with both wired and wireless
The problem seems to be that they/Virgin have specific DNS IPs which if not entered, cause a 'You are connected to the gateway/router but the internet cannot be found' response

I manually add 194.168.4.100 & 194.168.8.100 in advanced settings & it works

Another option is to use OpenDNS, which reportedly is faster anyway

https://www.opendns.com/start/

Hope this helps

Aitch :)