Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kultex

#241 Post by kultex »

there is no possibility in the bios to disable the modem and the other modem is not detected, when I press probe of pubdial - I also do not see it in dmesg

I did reboot several times with doing something and noting, before I took the logs.

and here is the output of lsmod:

Code: Select all

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_pcm_oss            40992  0 
snd_seq_dummy           3844  0 
snd_seq_oss            31360  0 
snd_seq_midi_event      7168  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                47952  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          8204  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_mixer_oss          16640  1 snd_pcm_oss
serio_raw               6788  0 
ipw2100                71344  0 
e100                   34828  0 
ieee80211              33992  1 ipw2100
mii                     5504  1 e100
ieee80211_crypt         5632  1 ieee80211
snd_intel8x0           32796  0 
snd_ac97_codec         97952  1 snd_intel8x0
pcspkr                  2944  0 
ac97_bus                1920  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                73736  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              22276  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    52772  9 snd_pcm_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
video                  19472  0 
soundcore               7520  1 snd
output                  3840  1 video
snd_page_alloc         10376  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
intel_agp              26812  1 
agpgart                33584  1 intel_agp
fan                     5508  0 
evdev                  11776  1 
battery                12932  0 
thermal                18716  0 
ac                      5892  0 
processor              32816  2 thermal
button                  8080  0 
fuse                   48284  0 
aufs                  150040  1 
nls_iso8859_1           4096  0 
nls_cp437               5760  0 
usbhid                 29696  0 
usb_storage            85952  0 
ehci_hcd               33932  0 
uhci_hcd               23820  0 
usbcore               136560  5 usbhid,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
squashfs               45960  1 
sqlzma                  3972  1 squashfs
unlzma                  4736  1 sqlzma
yenta_socket           26252  1 
rsrc_nonstatic         12928  1 yenta_socket
and believe me - DetachStorageOnly must be 1

kultex

#242 Post by kultex »

I found something: did you reed this?

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/#trouble

kultex

#243 Post by kultex »

I found the udev rule where I could change to usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1003 -d 1 - no difference - the device is still mounted as cdrom - as desicribed in the troubleshooting, I think it is a kernel problem - did you alredy ask in the modswich forum - you are more in than me .....

rerwin

#244 Post by rerwin »

kultex,
Thanks for following up on this. I am about to leave for the weekend and will be out of touch.

Now that you have found the udev rule, you might try in separate tests (1) putting both -d 1 and -H 1 in that rule, and (2) duplicating the rule and making the first use -d and the second -H. The first would be most elegant, if it works. Also, try unplugging and replugging the modem after the second bootup. Also try using pupdial probe-ERASE before a reboot, just to clean things up.

I am discouraged that you don't see option in the lsmod. This is going to take some rethinking -- next week.
Richard

droope

#245 Post by droope »

Hi.

My modem is a ZTE MF 636, which is not in the listing. Do you reckon that if I installed all the pets on this thread it will be detected as a modem?

Cheers,
Droope

I'll start googling, in the meantime you enjoy the weekend ;)
What seems hard is actually easy, while what looks like impossible is in fact hard.

“Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.â€￾ –Percy Cerutty

[url=http://droope.wordpress.com/]Mi blog[/url] (Spanish)

kultex

#246 Post by kultex »

rerwin,

I did this all, before I posted - nothing helped - but:

:D :roll: it was quite easy - the module option was missing

I just did

modprobe option
and Internet works perfect - either I plug it in directly or afterwards or whatever ..... :D

droope

#247 Post by droope »

I've been doing my homework, but aparently there is something wrong. Does this work with puppy 4.1.2, or do I have to download the latest puppy version?

I have gotten all the data I need to connect (APN, etc.) but, when finished, after clicking ok, it tells me to connect using the pgprs icon in the network section, but that doesn't exist!

I have installed usb_modeswitch and wireless pets. (not sure if to install the second though.

So I reckon it's a puppy version issue?

Thank you.
What seems hard is actually easy, while what looks like impossible is in fact hard.

“Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer.â€￾ –Percy Cerutty

kultex

#248 Post by kultex »

drope

here is information about your modem:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... .php?t=141

Aitch

#249 Post by Aitch »

kultex

Very useful modeswitch info from that site, for anyone needing to understand the problems

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/#intro

Aitch :)

rerwin

#250 Post by rerwin »

droope,
You did not say that you edited the "option-ZTE rules file to select your MF636. Several ZTE modems have the same initial vendor and product IDs and there is no way we can determine the correct rule to use. For now, the user must uncomment the rule appropriate for his/her modem. The file is /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usb_modeswitch-option-ZTE-...rules. The correct rule is the first one there, on line 15. Just remove the "#". If there is still a problem, I will need to work it. Yes, you probably need all of the dotpets, except for the two marked as "hso", which are for high-speed modems, and the nozomi. But including them does no harm.

Afterthoughts:
1. The safest version of puppy to use until you have a working modem setup is 4.1.2. which is what the project is built on. Since it is only kernel-specific, any of the puppys using kernel 2.6.25.16 should be usable with the appropriate dotpets. So, stick with 4.1.2 for now.
2. Since you are not specific about everything you did to try to get your modem working, it is difficult to guess what you left out. If you installed all of the dotpets posted in the first item in the thread, did you also do this?
1. Some USB wireless modems may require two updated driver modules that tempestuous has provided here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 448#254448
They are particularly for ZTE modems, but may help if other modems that use the option driver are not recognized. From the above link, download and install these files:
- option-patched-01Apr09-k2.6.25.16.pet
- usb-storage-ZTE-patch-k2.6.25.16.pet
kultex,
That's good news about modprobing option. That narrows the problem down to why option is not being loaded automatically. I will update the patch1 on the other thread, so that it will show whether option got selected by the fix. I trusted that by the old usb_storage log line being absent, that option was loaded instead. But maybe not. Look for an "UPDATE" annotation there. Then just install the improved patch1 on top of everything else. The patch is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=20543
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 10 Aug 2009, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch

#251 Post by Aitch »

Hi Rich
I don't know if you remember, earlier in the year I was in Germany using a friend's Option 225 modem, but couldn't get it to go? [Other than with windoze on my IBM T21]
I got separated from him/the modem before being able to sort anything and have thought no more about it
However, out of the blue he contacted me yesterday to see if I could still help him

He has an Acer Aspire One with original linux OS

I know you've developed things a lot since then, so.....

What is the easiest way forward/what advice can you offer as to what OS & packages to use?

Aitch :)

rerwin

#252 Post by rerwin »

Hi Aitch,
It's good to hear from you again.
What is the easiest way forward/what advice can you offer as to what OS & packages to use?
That a wide-open question. It really depends on what he wants to use the Netbook for. If it were mine, I would attempt to get the installed linux (Xandros?) to do whatever I need, and look elsewhere only if it were insufficient. But I would prefer to build on it, rather that start over with another OS.

Of course, I would also put Puppy on it, because I am most familiar with it. If you mean which Puppy I would suggest, I am at a total loss there, as I have kept my head buried in the modem stuff, which I hope is usable on all future (4+) Puppys.

Back to the Acer's linux, is he able to use his modem with it? It would be an interesting side project to take what we know about modems for Puppy and apply them to that linux.
Richard

kultex

#253 Post by kultex »

rerwin,

I installed the patch - and same thing as before - I have to run modeprobe option

I even tried a udev 90 rule with

SYSFS{vendor}=="0x12d1", SYSFS{device}=="0x1003", RUN+="modprobe option" 
did not work - it reminds me on Ubuntu, where they had the same trouble with the airprime driver - they had to blacklist airprime

Aitch,

I can recommend fluxflux - http://www.fluxflux.net - especially the Salckware version - if your friend speeks germen, there is no Problem at all - it is fully German (but there is also an English version) and the Aspire one is supported - they are specialized on netbooks and umts modems - normally all the FN Keys are working out of the box...
download: http://mirror.live-modules.org/quax/ind ... sl/release

for the Option iCON 225 - the hso-Kernelmodul is integrarted - they report, that some Option models are working, like the Qualcomm 3G Icon 210 - but flux and quax are very competent and quick in helping, if it does not work out of the box

rerwin

#254 Post by rerwin »

kultex,
Sorry I was not specific in what I need to see. I am looking for the "MODULES" lines in /tmp/udevtrace-modem.log, so that I can see what the patch actually did. Apparently it is not selecting option, but I need the evidence as to what it did select, or that it didn't select anything. I need this info before I can submit a patch for the beta release. Thanks

BTW, modprobing option does not run the initialization script, which associates the modem with /dev/modem and results in setting the /dev/ttyUSB0 into wvdial.conf. It is important that we get puppy to do the modprobe internally.
Richard

kultex

#255 Post by kultex »

just in case I attach all your files ...
Attachments
huawei-E220-5.tar.gz
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 266 times

droope

#256 Post by droope »

rerwin wrote:droope,
You did not say that you edited the "option-ZTE rules file to select your MF636. Several ZTE modems have the same initial vendor and product IDs and there is no way we can determine the correct rule to use. For now, the user must uncomment the rule appropriate for his/her modem. The file is /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usb_modeswitch-option-ZTE-...rules. The correct rule is the first one there, on line 15. Just remove the "#". If there is still a problem, I will need to work it. Yes, you probably need all of the dotpets, except for the two marked as "hso", which are for high-speed modems, and the nozomi. But including them does no harm.

Afterthoughts:
1. The safest version of puppy to use until you have a working modem setup is 4.1.2. which is what the project is built on. Since it is only kernel-specific, any of the puppys using kernel 2.6.25.16 should be usable with the appropriate dotpets. So, stick with 4.1.2 for now.
2. Since you are not specific about everything you did to try to get your modem working, it is difficult to guess what you left out. If you installed all of the dotpets posted in the first item in the thread, did you also do this?
1. Some USB wireless modems may require two updated driver modules that tempestuous has provided here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 448#254448
They are particularly for ZTE modems, but may help if other modems that use the option driver are not recognized. From the above link, download and install these files:
- option-patched-01Apr09-k2.6.25.16.pet
- usb-storage-ZTE-patch-k2.6.25.16.pet
Hi rerwin,

First of all, I sincerely thank you very much for your efforts, and apologize for not knowing how to explain enough my gratitude. Sorry for al the questions, too. :)

I did this on a fresh puppy 4.1.2, to avoid problems:

1- Install the following pets:

option-patched-01April09-k2.6.25.16.pet
usb-storage-ZTE-patch-k2.6.25.16.pet
3G_pupdial-wireless-11.pet
usb_modeswitch-1.0.2.pet

2 - Edit the file /etc/udev/rules.d/51-usb_modeswitch-option-ZTE-...rules and uncomment line 15.

3-Go to connection wizard, and select GPRS modem. The modem y choose is ttyS0 (the only one puppy says is detected), choose the apropiate connection settings (i think). And press ok.

Then, I get a message telling me to go to network and choose gprs config... It's weird.

Adittional info: I have now noticed that puppy does not detect the modem as a optical drive anymore. I think the reason behind that is that it is not plugged in directly, but through a usb extension, that i can't explain. It's like a 2 - to - one usb, I plug 2 usb's to the PC, and the one on the other end to the ZTE modem. I will now try to plug it in directly.

Cheers!

rerwin

#257 Post by rerwin »

kultex,
Thanks for your log files. They are very revealing!

The order of the MODULES list has changed, such that my patch to module loading is not a factor. Considering that you are able to recover by simply modprobing option, I conclude that our problem must be about timing.

The way this works is that the loading of usb_storage triggers the mode switch, which waits 10 seconds before switching. The switching should change the interface class (ic) to FF and trigger loading of option. But if the device is very slow to actually switch to modem mode, option is loaded before the modem appears to exist, so the loading is probably aborted. During bootup, while all that is going on, the initialization script waits up to a minute for things to get settled.

I think the solution is to retry the loading of option after the device has had time to settle as a modem, so the driver can see it. To test that idea, I converted patch1 into patch 3, which changes the rule for writing the MODULES lines, adds a udev rule for your modem to invoke a new script that waits 15 seconds and then modprobes option again. If it still fails, try increasing the delay time in /etc/udev/rules.d/60-delayed_modprobe.rules. Change the 15 to 30 or 45, but preferably not more, because of the 60 seconds the init script waits.

Earlier, I commented that using modprobe alone would not start the init script. But your logs show that option gets loaded early on, so that starts the script, even though the loading may not work out. The patch might compensate for option's running too early. Please install it (after uninstalling patch1) and try again, attaching your logs to your report. Thanks.
Richard
Attachments
3G_pupdial-wireless-11-patch3.pet
Debug 3G patch and prototype fix.
(3.64 KiB) Downloaded 405 times

rerwin

#258 Post by rerwin »

droope,
3-Go to connection wizard, and select GPRS modem.
You were doing fine up to that point. This 3G project does not support that GPRS Connect-Wizard option, only the "Internet by dialup analog modem" button, which should actually say "... analog/wireless modem". So use that option and tell us how it goes.

The Connect Wizard should show your modem as ttyUSB0, but it might take a second reboot for detection to complete (because of hardware delays). Thanks.
Richard

BarryK
Puppy Master

#259 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:droope,
3-Go to connection wizard, and select GPRS modem.
You were doing fine up to that point. This 3G project does not support that GPRS Connect-Wizard option, only the "Internet by dialup analog modem" button, which should actually say "... analog/wireless modem".
Yes indeed, I'll change it right now.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

kultex

#260 Post by kultex »

rerwin,

:D genius, congratulations - works perfect now, whatever you do - have it plugged in at boot, plug it in afterwards, replug it ..... I just add you 2 files - e220-11 is plugging in at boot and e220-12 is plugging in afterwards.

BarryK,

when you are working right now on PGPRS, may I have a wish? - I am using the Huawei 99% in the train and all the time, the connection brakes - so it would be very useful, to have at least the choice, to activate automatic reconnection.
The only linux, I know, where this works is in the netapplet of pclinuxos, but because of switching to a small SSD in my Portege, I had to swich to Puppy. And to have this also in Puppy would be a great pleasure.

But nevertheless, I am really happy, that the Huawei E220 and pupdial work now like a charm
Attachments
huawei-E220-12.tar.gz
(3.56 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
huawei-E220-11.tar.gz
(3.51 KiB) Downloaded 237 times