Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

Integration of 3G Wireless Modem Detection - 4.1.2 & 4.2.1

#1 Post by rerwin »

THIS THREAD IS NOW OBSOLETE AND IS NO LONGER MONITORED BY THE DEVELOPER. PLEASE GO TO THE THREAD FOR PUPPY 4.3.1, PUPPY 4.3.2 AND LUCID PUPPY 5+.
Dialup/Wireless Modem Upgrade Packages for Puppy 4.3+ http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 074#431074

Considering that there are several threads and postings regarding getting 3G wireless modems working in Puppy, I have concluded that it might be worthwhile to incorporate the tinkerings into an extension of the existing components for support of dialup modems. My problem is that I do not own any of the 3G devices and have no need to buy one. So I need everyone with these devices to assist in debugging the implementation.

I have begun by creating udev rules to handle the mode-switching task automatically. I have added modem-initialization scripts for the drivers: Option, Hso, Sierra, and Nozomi. (The script names are capitalized to give them priority over PCI and sound-card modem scripts, since the devices are insertable USB modems, removing any need to blacklist other modem drivers.) Drivers hso and nozomi are included, too; option and sierra are already installed in 4.1.2./4.2/4.2.1. For now, I assume that driver usbserial has been superseded by these drivers; I need to be notified of any cases not supported by the three drivers.

I have also added two debug event-trace logs to help us understand what happens. When reporting your experiences with this package, please include in your posting the following files (nd placing attachments inside a tarball or zip file):
- /tmp/pup_event_module_devpath_log (quoted)
- /tmp/udevtrace-modem.log (quoted)
- /tmp/udevtrace.log (as optional attachment)
- /tmp/usb_modeswitch.log (as attachment, if exists)
- /tmp/ozerocdoff.log (as attachment, if exists)

I set as my goal, to make Puppy support 3G modems similarly to analog dialup and GPRS modems. I imagine a user seeing the modems recognized automatically, using the "Internet by analog modem" Connect-Wizard option (augmented if necessary) to enter added parameters, and then dialing in with PupDial.

This goal could entail addition of device-specific logic into udev rules and initialization scripts, logic from the existing GPRS setup script, and creation of new scripts to support udev rules. Various postings suggest to me that some delays will be needed to allow the modems time to start up. My getting those details right depends on your feedback and assistance in debugging solutions. I ask everyone with these modems to report, here or by PM to me, your experience with this package and any suggestions to make it work.

UPDATE 7/29/09: I have edited the historical-progress items, to summarize the current state of the project. The downloads here apply only to puppys 4.1.2, 4.2, and 4.2.1. They are already incorporated into Puppy 4.3.

1. Some USB wireless modems may require two updated driver modules that tempestuous has provided here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 448#254448
They are particularly for ZTE modems, but may help if other modems that use the option driver are not recognized. From the above link, download and install these files:
- option-patched-01Apr09-k2.6.25.16.pet
- usb-storage-ZTE-patch-k2.6.25.16.pet

2. An updated sierra module (also by tempestuous) supports additional Sierra modems, but is needed only if your Sierra modem is not detected by the Puppy 4.1.2/4.2/4.2.1 version. Download it from this posting: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 154#286154

3. This auto-detection project does not support modprobing of the usbserial module, used in most of the recommendations found on the Internet. Loading of usbserial with vendor and product IDs is useful only for verifying that a modem can be made to work. The goal here is to automate use of the modem-specific (e.g., hso, option, sierra, etc.) drivers and related (storage-to-modem-device) mode switching.

4. Initialization scripts are added for modems using modules ipw, ipwireless, and moto_modem. They should detect such modems as ttyUSB0. However, no attempt is made to address possible firmware issues. Anyone with such a modem is invited to work with me if more is needed. The Motorola driver supports 3 modem models, and there may be a patched version for a fourth, the 950; tell me if you need the patch.

5. For troubleshooting, usb_modeswitch can be run from the command line. To run it and log its output, use usb_modeswitch.sh with no arguments (instead of usb_modeswitch). But you must set up the usb_modeswitch.conf file beforehand (as explained there).

6. Tips for some special situations:
a. To override the default number for ttyUSB0, change the number in /etc/modemttyUSBnum; some modems use ttyUSB2.
b. When a PIN is specified in Pupdial, it has been sent to the modem for each connection. But that apparently prevents subsequent connections from succeeding. The new 3G_pupdial-wireless-12 dotpet changes that, to limit its use to only the first of a Puppy- or modem plug-in session. If the PIN is needed later in the session, it can be restored by clicking the "ttyUSB0" (or similar device-name, to "test" the modem) button in Pupdial. Please report if this creates more problems. Note that many users recommend disabling the PIN altogether, either in Windows or within the cell phone, if the modem is part of one. But that might create a security issue.
c. New modems probably require activation in a Windows (TM) environment, because there is currently no way to do that in linux.
d. Users of provider VirginBroadband may have connections fail due to an authentication problem. This can be avoided by editing the file: /etc/ppp/options to append a line:
-chap
if not already present). But remember to undo that if you change connection and do not need it. Since this seems to be provider-specific, and could be remedied by the provider, I have not addressed this peculiarity in Pupdial. I would reconsider this if other situations are reported that would justify adding management of the PPP-script files. Please report any other cases where editing that file or /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial is needed to resolve some issue.

7. If you are confused by all the fields to fill in in the PupDial dialer, member kultex has found a chart of the information you may need to connect to your provider. He explains here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 904#337904
(You probably do not need the DNS values, but they could come in handy if required.)

Thanks in advance for whatever you can do to help add this "magic" to Puppy.
Richard

UPDATE 8/22/09: I have replaced the main dotpet with 3G_pupdial-wireless-12. This includes the improvements in the "-11" patch4 and the 4.3 beta2 release (assuming they are accepted), plus support of a few additional modems. This new version changes support of PINs and APNs, so that the PIN is issued only once per session and APNs are now associated with each dialup account. A pulse-dial (ATDP) setting is now retained. Certain Huawei modems may now be detected.

NOTE: I have not upgraded to usb_modeswitch-1.0.3 because it no longer appears to support command-line parameters, which Puppy uses. It stops with a segmentation fault.

UPDATE 9/11/09: I have re-uploaded (after download #105) the 3G_pupdial-wireless-12.pet file with a correction so that pupdial retains user-edited Init6-Init9 lines in the configuration file. The fix is also available if you already have 3G_pupdial installed, here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 321#340321

UPDATE 2/7/2010: I have added 3G_pupdial-wireless-13 as a replacement for "-12". It has more modeswitch rules and support for Vodaphone and some newer modems. Remember, it is only for puppy 4.1.2 & 4.2.1. For 4.3.1, use the updates in the 4.3.1 Bugs thread here, instead: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 235#388235

UPDATE 2/13/2010: I found that I mistyped the 18 new rules. "-13" now is corrected. Anyone needing the new rules or still cannot get your USB modem detected should uninstall the original "-13" and download and install this replacement.
Richard
Attachments
3G_pupdial-wireless-13.pet
For all wireless modems. Includes initialization scripts and udev rules.
Be sure to also install one or more of the executable dotpets here, as appropriate.
Updates usb_modeswitch rules to 1/10/2010 and loads driver for more ms.
(42.79 KiB) Downloaded 4495 times
3G_pupdial-wireless-12.pet
Out of date -- please use "-13" For all wireless modems. Includes initialization scripts and udev rules.
Be sure to also install one or more of the executable dotpets here, as appropriate.
(36.52 KiB) Downloaded 3872 times
usb_modeswitch-1.0.2.pet
Install this for most modems, unless you know the modem
uses the hso or nozomi driver. No change in capability from earlier versions;
but please use this before reporting any problems.
(10.19 KiB) Downloaded 4298 times
hso-k2.6.25.16-1.12.pet
Try this if your modem's Vendor ID is 0af0 -- the more recent
Option modems. This is similar to the k2.6.29 version and
supports 41 high-speed Option modems.
(17.64 KiB) Downloaded 2967 times
nozomi-k2.6.25.16.pet
Do NOT bother with this unless your modem is a very early GlobeTrotter,
with serial prefixes: NZ or NL, GA or GM, NB or NF.
(12.49 KiB) Downloaded 2584 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 03:14, edited 52 times in total.

rerwin

3G USB modem Integration Status log

#2 Post by rerwin »

This separate posting is where I will keep track of where we stand with each modem model. Your experiences reported to me by PM (or here) will be collected here.
Modems Supported by USB_ModeSwitch Configuration File Jan. 22, 2009
===================================================================

# Option GlobeSurfer Icon (aka "Vodafone EasyBox")
# Option GlobeSurfer Icon 7.2
# Option GlobeTrotter GT MAX 3.6 (aka "T-Mobile Web'n'walk Card Compact II")
# Option GlobeTrotter GT MAX "7.2 Ready"
# Option GlobeTrotter EXPRESS 7.2 (aka "T-Mobile wnw Express II")
# Option GlobeSurfer Icon 7.2, new firmware (HSO driver)
# Option Icon 225 HSDPA
# Option GlobeTrotter HSUPA Modem (aka "T-Mobile Web'n'walk Card Compact III')
# Option iCON 401
# AT&T USBConnect Quicksilver (made by Option, HSO driver)
# Vodafone K3760 (made by Option, HSO driver)
# Huawei E220 (aka "Vodafone EasyBox II", aka "T-Mobile wnw Box Micro")
- Hauwei E160, which identifies as E220 - Plumtreed reports it works when set up only with pupdial, leaving baud as 9600.
# Huawei E270
# Huawei E870
# (and probably most other Huawei devices
# Huawei E169 - Muggins reports it works, although he sets baud to 460800 and needs to force loading of option driver (which should load automatically).
# Huawei E630
# ZTE MF620 (aka "Onda MH600HS")
# ZTE MF622 (aka "Onda MDC502HS")
# ZTE MF622 (probably different version)
# ZTE MF628
# ZTE MF628+ (tested version from Telia / Sweden)
# ZTE MF626
# ZTE MF638 (aka "Onda MDC525UP")
# ONDA MT503HS (most likely a ZTE model)
# ONDA MT505UP (most likely a ZTE model)
# Novatel Wireless Ovation MC950D HSUPA
# Novatel Wireless Merlin XU950D
# Novatel Wireless Ovation 930D
# Novatel U727 USB modem
# Novatel MC990D
# Alcatel OT-X020 (aka MBD-100HU, aka Nuton 3.5G), works with Emobile D11LC
# AnyDATA ADU-500A, ADU-510A, ADU-520A
# BandLuxe C120
# Solomon S3Gm-660
# C-motech D-50 (aka "CDU-680")
# C-motech CGU-628 (aka "Franklin Wireless CGU-628A" aka "4G Systems XS Stick W12")
# Toshiba G450
# UTStarcom UM175 (distributor "Alltel")
# Hummer DTM5731
# A-Link 3GU
# Sierra Wireless AirCard 881U (most likely 880U too)
# Sony Ericsson MD400
# LG LDU-1900D EV-DO (Rev. A)
# Samsung SGH-Z810 USB (with microSD card)
# MobiData MBD-200HU
I plan to annotate each as I receive reports on your experiences with these modems. Since I have completed my initial implementation, I need your feedback to tell whether this stuff even works for you, so we can eventually add it to Puppy.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 15 Feb 2009, 00:20, edited 2 times in total.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Rerwin,

I created a fresh, frugal puppy, installed your .pet, modified usb_modeswitch.conf to remove comments from my device, 12d1:1001, rebooted, ran pupdial->probe, but no dice...not detected...is there some other step required?

Also, on line 263 of usb_modeswitch.conf, is that a stray semi-colon?

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

Hi Rich,

see my query here, about installing .pets to liveCD puppy

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 240#267240

I've done it as a noob post as I'm a bit embarrassed at never having tried :oops:

I did post something just before xmas in the acer aspire one thread, as preparatory to going to Germany, but other events took over & I never finished testing, so now may be a good time?!

Unfortunately I don't have a burner on this lappy, and only have 2.14 & 2.14R with me

Will this .pet work with either of these, or must it be the 4 series?

If 4 series only, I'll have to wait till returning to UK - a couple of weeks, maybe?

Aitch :)

rerwin

#5 Post by rerwin »

muggins,
You are OK with merely installing the dotpet. The .conf file is not used in this implementation, since I have extracted its data into the udev rules that invoke usb_modeswitch.

Your modem should have been detected, but maybe there is more trickery needed. Let's start by your posting the contents of the files listed in my original post and attaching the udevtrace.log file (or PMing its content to me, to avoid filling up the thread). I need that for determining my next action.

After doing that, then try unplugging and replugging the modem -- if it is USB. I am not comfortable doing that with PC cards, but maybe you are OK with that. Then post/send the updated log files for analysis. Thanks.
Richard

Aitch,
The dotpet is only for 4.1.2 standard kernel. So you need to install puppy 4.1.2 to the hard drive, as I describe in your other thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 327#267327
Richard

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

@Rerwin,

I think I need to improve my reading skills, as I completely missed the posting .logs stuff! Anyway, I've pm'ed you logs as requested.

rerwin

#7 Post by rerwin »

muggins,
Thanks for the logs. They show that (1) the modem is not seen at all at bootup. This seems to be a USB problem similar to what I see when booting with a USB flash drive plugged in; I have to replug it to get the drive icon to appear. The good news is that the modem does get seen after you unplug and replug the USB modem.

But the udev rule does not appear to get triggered. My error. I found in debugging my modem/controller dotpet (posted elsewhere), that a keyword, ATTRS, is valid for the most recent kernels, but apparently not for 2.6.25. That requires using the old equivalent, SYSFS.

I have made that change, which is now the download attachment (-2). Please uninstall the older dotpet and install the new one, above. Since the modem is not initially detected, try leaving it unplugged until booted up, then plug it in.

FYI, the trace lines for the modem are:
add_1-2:1.0_usb_0x8086_0x2658_usb:v12D1p1001d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF
add_1-2:1.1_usb_0x8086_0x2658_usb:v12D1p1001d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFiscFFipFF
I am hoping the mode switch done by the rule results in the module, option, getting loaded and appearing in the logs. That's the goal.
Richard

plumtreed

#8 Post by plumtreed »

I would like to help because I feel that this aspect of Puppy Linux is a bit 'shaky'. My difficulty is that I am moving from place to place in the UK and I am getting mixed 'reception' on my 3G. Not only that, I am not getting any Wifi to allow speedy downloads. I have to rely on my mobile broadband.

I boot puppy from a 2gb 'dongle' and often have to use modprobe etc in a terminal to really get it running. In fact, it seems very inconsistent and requires a few manoeuvers before it works at reasonable speed. Such as plug and unplug???

I have puppy 4.1.2 on file so I can make an iso 'copy' to a disk but may find it hard to download your pet because of my lack of internet access.

I don't mean the following as a criticism but merely an indicator; my 3G goes very well in Ubuntu, which I mostly use.

How can I help with your test?

rerwin

#9 Post by rerwin »

plumtreed,
Welcome, and thank you for offering to help with this project. Your success with Ubuntu gives us something to "shoot for", and may help us get there.

First, what is your modem? Including the vendor and product IDs shown in pupscan or lspci. I may need to ask you more about Ubuntu's implementation, but let's establish where you are re my dotpet's capabilities.

Everyone,
I have started with what I see as obvious in various postings and websites, and am starting to work on specific modems, as people offer them. So far, I am working with the Huawei E169, which is not automatically associated with a driver. My fear is that the mode switcher assumes the driver is loaded (so it can talk to the modem). But the key to identifying the modem appears to require the "class" to be 0xff; the device appears with 0x00. Maybe the modeswitcher makes that change, so the device is recognized. Catch 22! [EDIT: not true for the E169 - see correction below.]

In addition, I see conflicting directions on using the mode switcher for the E169. The modeswitch configuration file says to use either the "-d" or "-H" option. So I am initially trying only "-H". But another site explaining what actually works uses both options. So that may be my next step, after hearing from muggins how the -2 version of the package works.

The testing could get tedious, as I am feeling my way, here. But this needs to be done incrementally so we can establish exactly what causes what. Thank you, all, for sticking with me.
Richard

CORRECTION: Turns out that my above concern about the E169 class issue does not apply to it. Actually, it is the E160/E220 (et al) modems (ID 1003) that involve the class. So that wouldn't explain why the "option" driver is not being loaded. Let's hope the -H option helps us.
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 23 Jan 2009, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

plumtreed

#10 Post by plumtreed »

I'm using a Huawei E160g from the 3 network UK. It is usually recognized by most systems as Huawei e220. This is a UMTS modem.

APN '3internet'; phone number *99#; password 'three'; username 'three'

modem /dev/ttyUSB0

This does work in Puppy once it is set up but it takes a few steps to get it in place and running at a reasonable pace.

I also find that results can be very inconsistent and that things work after trying a few times. I have had it open up and run perfectly a the very beginning. Other times I have to make a few attempts or, in desperation, use the terminal and 'modprobe'.

rerwin

#11 Post by rerwin »

plumtreed,
Great! Your modem gets treated the same as the E169 and I am pleased to know that it can be made to work in Puppy. Please tell me what those extra steps are, because they are exactly what I am attempting to automate.

The dotpet is only 59KB, which seems small and that you could download. Your modem is of the type that checks for a class of 0xff in order to associate the option driver. Does Puppy find that driver (option)? Do you use USB_modeswitch?
Richard

plumtreed

#12 Post by plumtreed »

I find that I have to unplug my modem and disconnect. If I then plug it in again and connect via the GPRS icon I will connect to the net. It may be necessary to try a few times to 'lock on?' but this is to be expected. (I sometimes have to try a few times with Ubuntu.)

If I boot with the modem plugged in, I have to replug etc
If I install the dongle after boot-up, I still have to unplug and reconnect.

After that, it all works satisfactorily!

[ :idea: I use the'usb modeswitch-0.9.5.pet and I now have your .pet installed.]

This is not 'seamless' but still quite good. It only reflects my unit obviously. :P

Schorhr

#13 Post by Schorhr »

Hello, first of all:
Thank you for putting so much effort in a project like this!

I am still new to linux (except a few simple projects), so please bare with me :-)

Due to incapable DSL and Cable providers we decided to switch to a UMTS internet service.
I now have a decTop (AMD Geode 366 MHz) set up with a Huawei e169g and initially followed the instructions over here.

Using Puppy 4.1.2 I was suprised that I only needed to add a modeprobe-line into rc.local and change the modem to ttyUSB0 in wvdial.conf, and it worked... almost...:-)

In the readme of your project's .pet I found the key to my problems:
I changed the init2-string in wvdial.conf / pupdial to AT+CGDCONT=1,,"webmobil1" (and Dial Command = ATX1DT) and then the connection to o2 germany/tchibo worked.

It still seems a bit buggy though, sometimes I have to reboot or unplug/plug the usb device to be able to connect. I do not know if this is caused by the currently weak UMTS in here (construction arround the outside of our building) or if its just not stable :-)

Due to different problems that still occur I thought I'dd just post here.
In the long run this computer is suppose to act as a wifi accesspoint router, but first I need to get the dialup reliable.
In your readme I also saw the command COP? to check which network the device is connected to.

Is there a way to manually choose the network as sometimes I still need to connect the device to a pc or mac to choose the network with the distributors software?

Also is there any way to force GPRS mode?

After reinstalling puppy a few times (system suddenly stops booting ater a few boots, just halts after usb keyboard prior to X displaying a "#"? Well, another topic...) I did not install modeswitch.pup since honestly I am a bit clueless if I need it? :-( Again, I am new to linux and the umts/wifi-ap is a rather big project, so sorry if I sound a bit confused at this time. I've been working on this box quite a few hours into the night and lack of regular sleep since I tried to figure out how to use a recognized wifi device in AP mode...

rerwin

#14 Post by rerwin »

Schorhr,
Thanks for joining us. It is not clear, to me, whether the above exploits were done with my dotpet. When you do use it, please do not separately run USB-modeswitch, since the package is supposed to do that for you.. But we have not yet established that it is working. You provide a good test case. Try doing your routine but skip the modeswitch, to see if you get the same behavior as before.

My understanding is that modprobing usbserial should not be neceesary because a newer driver, option, supercedes that for these modems. But it does not seem to get loaded automatically, although I think it should, given that it appears in the USB map file. I have asked muggins to try forcing loading of the option module (with BootManager) to see if we can get any further.

But first try skipping modeswitch, so we can be sure the replacement udev rule does the job.
In the readme of your project's .pet I found the key to my problems:
I changed the init2-string in wvdial.conf / pupdial to AT+CGDCONT=1,,"webmobil1" (and Dial Command = ATX1DT) and then the connection to o2 germany/tchibo worked.
Right now this is beyond what I am dealing with, but no harm in discussing it. My idea for that sort of thing is that the GPRS-modem setup option in the connect wizard, or an expanded tool for all 3G variations or even in the modem-initialization scripts for each driver, would handle those modifications. It might turn out that part of that should be integrated into PupDial, too. But I need to take it a step at a time, to avoid getting confused. My immediate goal is to get the detection and modeswitch portion to be reliable, perhaps adding logic somewhere to retry initialization of balky modems. And then to attack getting the modems to actually work. It seems like a big job, so I hope to do it, little by little.
Richard

Afterthought: You should be able to replace your modprobe of usbserial into the BootManager's "add list", now that it accepts parameters. But change only one thing per test, to avoid confounding the results.

Aitch

#15 Post by Aitch »

muggins

#16 Post by muggins »

Rerwin,

after forcing the loading of the option module, then rebooting, then running pupdial->probe, the modem is successfully seen. I just needed to manually alter /etc/wvdial.conf to have the right baud of 460800 etc:

Code: Select all

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0V1E1S0=0&C1&D2S11=55+FCLASS=0
Carrier Check = no
Dial Command = ATDT
Phone = *99#
Username = ppp
Password = ppp
Auto Reconnect = no
One thing that is slightly different, from my previous wvdial.conf, is that this one has:

Init2 = ATQ0V1E1S0=0&C1&D2S11=55+FCLASS=0
whereas previous had:

Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Do you know what the significance of the S11=55 is?

rerwin

#17 Post by rerwin »

That's good news, muggins! The modeswitching udev rule seems to do its job. About the "S11=55": I looked up the AT commands for an ancient ISA analog modem and found that S11= "Sets the duration and spacing, in milliseconds, for tone dialing.". So it seems innocuous. FWIW, the default on that modem was 70.

I am concerned that you needed to do the pupdial probe, since normal new-modem initialization should show ttyUSB0 in the connect-wizard dialog, as well as in pupdial. And it should be ready to go. I assume you were able to change the speed right there in the top pupdial field, right? Could you run again, but first use pupdial > probe > erase before you reboot? Pupdial will then show that no modem is detected.

On reboot, click "connect" and "Internet by dialup analog modem". I expect you to get a new dialog and then a second, before you get to pupdial. Pupdial should show a modem at /dev/ttyUSB0. Once you fix the speed value, you should be able to dial/log into your ISP. If that does not happen, please tell me, because that's what I am trying to accomplish.

If things are not right, please check /dev/modem to see what it links to, which should be ttyUSB0.

So, now I have the following to research:
- why option is not loaded automatically.
- Why the modem is not detected at bootup, instead of requiring it to be plugged in after bootup.
- why the speed is set so low.

Regarding a different subject: My new modem-initialization scripts currently support "country codes". But I suspect such codes are not relevant to wireless modems, since the codes relate to land-line analog modems, which may be sensitive to particular countries; I gather that newer modems handle that automatically, making the codes obsolete. I will remove that logic in my next dotpet, in case it has unintended consequences. Please tell me if those codes should be retained for these 3G modems.

Schorhr,
Now that muggins has established that the dotpet does handle the modeswitch and that the option driver (as an added module in BootManager) also works, please abandon altogether your testing with the usbserial driver. Please have the "option" driver get loaded at bootup, so we can work from there. Be sure that any previously detected modem is pupdial>probe>erased before rebooting after adding "option" in BootManager. The behavior should be as I described above, to muggins. Also please avoid editing any files, but rather make changes through pupdial or the GPRS-setup option, if that makes sense; but so far it appears that pupdial should let you make all your changes.

UPDATE: I have uploaded a new (-3) dotpet to the first posting of this thread. It has the country code script-logic removed (as unnecessary) and a debug version of the modemswitch udev rule, so we get positive confirmation that usb_modeswitch ran. In debugging the rule I discovered I had coded incorrectly the invocation of usb_modeswitch; I think it works now. So muggins got workable results even without the modeswitch! But maybe things will go better with the updated dotpet. Also, I added our three new drivers to a list in pupdial, which might improve initial startup of pupdial. You can see the debug info in /tmp/udevtrace-modem.log; it will be the output from usb_modeswitch.

After installing the "-3" dotpet, please be sure to "erase" any previously detected modem, to allow a fresh detection upon reboot, and (if you have not already done so) add the driver, option, to the BootManager "add list".
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 26 Jan 2009, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch

#18 Post by Aitch »

rerwin

I'm not sure of my facts, but seem to recall something about the option modem being one of the new fangled modems with a flashdrive built-in, that contains the windoze driver/connect code - ??

Don't know if this may delay loading if puppy tries to load usb+flash+modem as one-device-with-3-interfaces?

Damn, I wish I could test this thing -it's an Icon225 on Orange Network

Aitch :)

muggins

#19 Post by muggins »

Rerwin,

if I just preload the "option" module, then reboot, then run Connect->Analog modem, then my E169 is detected OK...without installation of your .pet. I then just needed to overwrite /etc/wvdial.conf, with a previously saved version with correct baud, userID & password, and I'm online.

plumtreed

#20 Post by plumtreed »

Many thanks, I seem to be able to 'connect' without any additional tweaking. I can boot with or without the dongle installed and it connects and runs happily.

I have only used the -2 .pet.

I like it!