Wine 1.1.30 + winetricks +color setter +goodies ...pet & sfs

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
vtpup

#256 Post by vtpup »

I've noticed a number of people talking about hand creating icons to run windows programs in wine.

I automatically get the custom OEM icons from the windows programs in a /root/Desktop folder, which is linked to .local/share/applications/wine/Programs

Those icons are created when the windows programs are installed.

I just drag the icons to the real desktop, and they run fine. I usually rename them since they always have a ".desktop" extension.

You can also find the icon graphics (xpms) in .local/share/icons. These aren't program launchers like the others, just graphic icons.

otropogo

#257 Post by otropogo »

vtpup wrote:Those are normal menu entries for that wine pet. They are helper programs. You should study and familiarize yourself with Wine if you're going to be using it.
That's what I was trying to do when I clicked on the 'Wine Help Viewer" tab.

But since you've evidently done your studying, maybe you can tell me what that tab is supposed to do, if not provide help in using Wine?

Wine requires a fair amount of study and familiarity to get the most out of. It is naturally complex because it bridges both Windows and Linux, and includes it's own virtual filesystem and windows registry. However it is vastly improved compared to using it a couple years ago, and is very useful now for some very difficult Windows programs.
Well, that's nice. A really useful program if only you can figure out how to use it (and maybe stop it from cluttering up all your program menus).

But for now, I wish I could just find the package I installed in a minute a year ago and run Irfanview without first having to study an 18 page thread and assorted other online materials..
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

vtpup

#258 Post by vtpup »

But for now, I wish I could just find the package I installed in a minute a year ago and run Irfanview without first having to study an 18 page thread and assorted other online materials..
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31173&
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Graphics/
That's what I was trying to do when I clicked on the 'Wine Help Viewer" tab.

But since you've evidently done your studying, maybe you can tell me what that tab is supposed to do, if not provide help in using Wine?
It is supposed to view a Windows program help file. You didn't ask it to open a Windows program help file. So it did what you asked.

Wine documentation isn't in the Wine pet. It's at WineHQ. Wine changes constantly. Their FAQ is very informative, and current. Better than my explanations, and briefer.

eightbitz

#259 Post by eightbitz »

Just curious -

I see that this pet installs multiple menu entries. How do you do that?

otropogo

Wine1.1.29.pet - This program does not have a menu entry

#260 Post by otropogo »

Last time I used Wine under Puppy was more than a year ago. The latest Wine pet I could find then was 1.0. I installed it, then installed a pup for Irfanview 3.98, then also the latest package available, and Irfanview ran.

Now Irfanview is up to v. 4.25, but I can't find any Irfanview pet designated for Puppy 4.x How do I install and run Irfanview 4.25, and do I need to have a menu entry for Wine for it to work?

vtpup

#261 Post by vtpup »

Otropogo,

Wine is a replacement for Windows support files and libraries and environment as far as Windows programs are concerned. Therefore you don't need a ,pet (or .pup) to install or run a Windows program. It is unusual for there to be a Puppy .pet or .pup for a Windows program like the one you used. So unusual, I didn't actually believe you used one to begin with. I therefore learned something from this oddball example.

Anyway, you can just install Windows programs directly -- usually by running the setup.exe program included with most Windows program CDs. The setup.exe program is also a Windows program, not a Linux program. It therefore runs under Wine. Wine has it's own virtual Windows C: drive located in the hidden directory /root/.wine. If you navigate there you will find the virtual C: drive. This is where Windows programs are installed. If you find your newly installed Windows program there, you can just usually click on it to run it. Or you can use terminal commands to run it. Or you can create an icon and drag it out to your desktop.

Now, if you want someone to help you to install and run the latest version of Irfanview it would be a really great idea to open up a thread devoted to that problem, request help, and stop extending this thread for that purpose. If it bothers you that this thread is (now) 18 pages long, think about why that might be -- it should mainly be devoted to announcements of new available Wine versions, not how to install UserJoe's favorite latest graphics program when he doesn't even understand what Wine is.

I will not help you further in this thread. But if you open another one, I'll try my best to get you going, as will, probably, others.

Henry

Irfanview

#262 Post by Henry »

Earlier I mentioned the need for mfc42.dll. I'm not familiar with wine tricks, but for any ordinary wine version, this tip might help.

http://www.boekhoff.info/?pid=linux&tip ... w-on-linux

I just installed IV in a couple of minutes to check. I didn't need that tip. Just borrowed mfc42.dll from my wife's XP (I'm puppy Nop only) and added it as a library in winecfg. Downloaded I_view.exe and installed with right click run with wine.

otropogo

#263 Post by otropogo »

vtpup wrote:Otropogo,..

... stop extending this thread for that purpose. If it bothers you that this thread is (now) 18 pages long, think about why that might be -- it should mainly be devoted to announcements of new available Wine versions, not how to install UserJoe's favorite latest graphics program when he doesn't even understand what Wine is.

I will not help you further in this thread. But if you open another one, I'll try my best to get you going, as will, probably, others.
'further"? how do you figure you've helped?

My few posts "extended this thread" only because of several useless replies I got.. And it's certainly not clear from the title of the thread that it's here merely so you can make abusive comments about those not familiar with the configuration of Wine.

I know perfectly well what Wine is and does, I simply don't know how it's configured. I find it strange and rather ill-mannered for any program to scatter menu tabs all over the desktop without a by your leave. And I find it strange and certainly unintuitive that a program should have a help tab for other programs that don't even even reside on the system, but none for its own functioning.

You can keep your "help" to yourself. I've had enough of it.

otropogo

Re: Irfanview

#264 Post by otropogo »

Henry wrote:... this tip might help.

http://www.boekhoff.info/?pid=linux&tip ... w-on-linux

Thanks for the tip, Henry. Have just tried it, but no cigar.

Pet installer reports that wine is installed, but there's no icon or menu entry. And when I right click on the Irfanview setup file, Wine isn't listed in the "Open with" menu.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to insert it there and try the installation again.

I did get the mfc42.dll from Windows and put it in place.

sotris99

#265 Post by sotris99 »

1.1.33 ?

otropogo

#266 Post by otropogo »

sotris99 wrote:1.1.33 ?
No, 1.1.29...

OK, have found and installed the pet for wine 1.1.33, then used its control panel to install Irfanview 4.25. Apparently everything went smoothly. I chose to have a start menu entry and a desktop icon, and to make IV the default viewer.

Trouble is - none of that happened.

I have no idea how to run Irfanview now that it's installed. The ony evidence of which is that it's listed as such in the Wine control panel (which reports a "serious problem" with rundll32.exe when I close its window)

Keanen

#267 Post by Keanen »

EDIT: Whoops- wrong thread.

It would be nice if DirectX would work well under Puppy-Wine. Has anyone gotten a DirectX program to work? As much as I hate DirectX, OpenGL doesn't seem to be working either. All I want is the bear minimum software to run a game with 3D graphics in an emulated Windows environment.

mikeb

#268 Post by mikeb »

Ok wine uses open gl and emulates direct x with it so getting opengl working usually gets this working too.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ri-7.3.pet
right click, save link as...seems to have mime problems!

This contains all 3d drivers for cards covered by puppy so its a bit large...in theory you could strip it down to only those you need but with it installed and a reboot 3d should be working...glxgears is a good test in a terminal...hundreds of fps or more shows it ok.

As for what games work and how to handle stubborn ones visit
http://appdb.winehq.org/

and the games section
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index. ... order=DESC here is handy as others are more into running large windows games than me (I do have some opengl ones that were free and run almost as well as on windows but that's as far as I go.)

Usually you run the windows installer....some games like to be run from the directory its in otherwise they don't find their files.

mike

Keanen

#269 Post by Keanen »

Alright, thanks. As long as it's <97 MB, I'm OK. Also, I am pretty familiar with appdb as I am officially the main maintainer of DarkBASIC Classic there, which happens to be my program of choice for testing 3D. If this package solves these problems like you say it does, I'll list you as a very big help in getting DBC to work on Wine.

mikeb

#270 Post by mikeb »

like you say it does, I'll list you as ... k on Wine.

not my package...never used it...I use a puppy from a while back and hand fiddled :)........so what will you say if it doesn't? :D

mike

Keanen

#271 Post by Keanen »

mikeb wrote:like you say it does, I'll list you as ... k on Wine.

not my package...never used it...I use a puppy from a while back and hand fiddled :)........so what will you say if it doesn't? :D

mike
Well, it kind of half works. At least it's not saying I don't have DirectX. And I can run dxtex. But fullscreen just changes the screen resolution and silently kills the app. Then I have to restart. I've tried going into the config and making Wine force a virtual desktop, but no. Still the same. What's really strange is that windowed apps that used to function just fine in a virtual desktop pop up in their own windows anyways too. Plus, That was over 50 MB to install! I'm not going to go hating on you and get you banned from appdb or make an angry vlog about it or anything, because I know it's not your fault. You did what you could. Microshit is to blame, and all their nvidia buttbuddies and TGC minions. Is there an operating system in the world what actually works the way it's supposed to? Probably not.

mikeb

#272 Post by mikeb »

nvidia buttbuddies
well theres plenty on here about them....maybe a better driver needed...I've only had ati and they are no easier to sort...video is a pain in thee ass....ideally fullscreen should be working as intended.

It can be sensitive to 24/16 bpp...24 seems more compatible.

I take it 3d is sort of working and now its a case of making wine happy.
Is there an operating system in the world what actually works the way it's supposed to?
erm not that I know of :D

mike

Keanen

#273 Post by Keanen »

I'm on 24 bpp, which I suppose is 32, and fullscreen apps change that anyways, and I have an Intel x3100 GMA. I think it is a matter of making Wine happy. Maybe I should install DirectX or something.

mikeb

#274 Post by mikeb »

Maybe I should install DirectX or something
Hmm never tried that and not sure how it relates to wine as wine has to translate to opengl anyway...I not an expert on this one.

I did get some free opengl games via google which showed at least that 3d could work.

I thiught wine was supposed to make us happy...ah well

mike

MU

#275 Post by MU »

direct X is included in wine, and allows to play even problematic games like Bioshock.
There however can occur driver issues.
DirectX in wine works best with modern Nvidia cards.
Ati cards meanwhile also work with Bioshock using the latest Catalyst drivers.
In summer 2009, it was unplayable using Ati cards.

Intel 3D support is somewhat problematic according to reports in the Forum, so I'd suspect, there might be driver problems using wine.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]