Hard disk and External Devices (usb/cd etc) Shortcuts

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
ecomoney

Hard disk and External Devices (usb/cd etc) Shortcuts

#1 Post by ecomoney »

I think the new desktop icons for attached devices (usb sticks cd rom drives etc) are fantastic. Puppy now does something when these devices are plugged in, which makes puppy a lot more useable for its target audience.

These shortcuts do not appear in the gtk "save as" and open dialog boxes however. It takes rather a lot of background theory for a new user to navigate the linux filesystem tree to find where to put their files for them to go on external devices. for example, if a user wanted to save a file to his/her usb stick from abiword, they would have to manually navigate in the save file dialog initrd/mnt/sda1. This is not particularly newb frinedly.

I dont know where the roxx bookmarks (if thats what they are) are stored. could the automatic mounting script create these automatically?
Last edited by ecomoney on Sun 11 Jan 2009, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

Hi Rob

Maybe midnight commander plus, for an explorer type gui

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/File_Managers ... r.Plus.pup

good suggestion re:
It takes rather a lot of background theory for a new user to navigate the linux filesystem tree to find where to put their files for them to go on external devices - I dont know where the roxx bookmarks (if thats what they are) are stored. could the automatic mounting script create these automatically?
.....though I don't know how to do this, & end up navigating in rox every time, must be a quicker way?

maybe pizzasgood?

Aitch :)

ecomoney

#3 Post by ecomoney »

There must be a config file for rox somewhere with the dialog box bookmark locations listed. If the automount script in puppy would update these also as well as the desktop icons than it would make puppy a lot more useable. Theres also a bookmarks in the filer window of rox that could have these added too.

In ecopup 0.7.3.1 (puppy 2.15ce EXTENSIVELY tested on "linux newbs" in a cybercafe and home environments), we have put shortcuts to the home partition/disk (and to the default "download" and "shared" directories for the applications) in the both of these places, weve also put shortcuts on the desktop, the rox quick start bar and some symlinks in the /root folder for good measure. Without them I doubt any of our users would be able to find their files, they are one of the most used features.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!