No anti-aliasing of Windows tt fonts in Wine?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bappy

No anti-aliasing of Windows tt fonts in Wine?

#1 Post by Bappy »

Hi Guys,

I managed to get wine running and stuck a bunch of the windows ttf fonts in my ~/.fonts folder so that my windows apps will run (check out notepad++ awesome free source-code editing application runs perfect in wine) unfortunately there is no anti-aliasing of fonts in wine.

Has anyone got any ideas as how to achieve this? I think it works ok on my ubuntu box but im not sure. Maybe just a higher res monitor downstairs...

Anyway, any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

For me it was turned on by default - you are crazy wanting it on :)
Try http://www.nabble.com/How-to-turn-off-A ... 14431.html but use Y instead of N I guess.[/code]
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts

? ? ?

I think disciple understood the question better.

If anything works please confirm, okay?

Bappy

#4 Post by Bappy »

OK just tried the registry thing. Doesn't seem to have made any difference.

See attached screenshot to see why I want it :)
Attachments
anti-alias.png
(46.17 KiB) Downloaded 401 times

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

So you've changed those registry keys from N to Y and they're still not antialiased? I don't know about that then - changing them from Y to N is definitely how I turned antialiasing off

I think the problem that is making them look bad is probably just that Puppy's libfreetype does not have BCI hinting enabled (due to patent issues).
For a detailed tutorial to get this working, see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10576

If you want a shortcut, you can get a freetype with BCI hinting from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=28487 - if you haven't installed the dotpup-handler from petget you can still extract it by renaming it to a .zip file, but make sure you replace the links (/usr/lib/libfreetype.so and /usr/lib/libfreetype.so6) to Puppy's inbuilt (and newer) freetype.

I think that dotpup will turn on BCI hinting in your freetype configuration, and turn off antialiasing, but you can always edit your configuration again later. The hinting should improve fonts whether or not they are antialiased, but I certainly don't recommend antialiasing for small fonts.

The truetype fonts included in Puppy have very poor hinting, so look bad with antialiasing off. If you have aa off you will probably want to change your JWM and GTK font settings to use Puppy's bitmap Helvetica, or Arial or something.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER