Rebooted into Windows, now it won't eject the CD

Booting, installing, newbie
otaku

Rebooted into Windows, now it won't eject the CD

#1 Post by otaku »

I gave puppy a try. Unfortunately it wouldn't work with my USB keyboard and mouse (though it identified I did indeed have a USB hub keyboard, it was not able to identify the mouse and I was receiving constant warnings that it couldn't initialize the keyboard or something...so both keyboard and mouse were useless). Anyway, that's beside the point. I was soured right away (all the FAQs said installation was a breeze! I wanted to get a simple *NIX distro going, I used to admin a NetBSD box, but I just don't want to deal with all the problems...plus my SATA hard drive probably wouldn't even work with it either).

Anyway, so I had to force restart the system. Now my DVD-RW drive is stuck. The drive is recognized by the BIOS, but I cannot eject it. The contents of the CD are visible in the Windows file manager, but when I select "Eject" nothing happens. When I hit the button on the DVD-RW drive, nothing happens. I have rebooted and I just cannot get this DVD-RW drive to open up. It's like when Puppy was booting it "locked" the drive. How do I get my drive to open up again? (Short of shoving a paper clip, that I don't have, into the eject hole.)

Thanks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Whoa, you somehow managed to boot into Windows without removing the Puppy CD from the CD drive?

When you booted the Puppy live CD, exactly what did you have to do to get it to work?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Ejecting the CD

#3 Post by Lobster »

otaku wrote: How do I get my drive to open up again? (Short of shoving a paper clip, that I don't have, into the eject hole.)

Thanks.
If you provide your snailmail address I will post you a paperclip.

Most CD's and DVD's have a small hole on the front and poking in a papaper clip will open them in an emergency - also saves Linux mounting . . . :)

Who can help this hapless Puppy victim? Shame when it does not work out easily . . . :cry:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#4 Post by Guest »

Whoa, you somehow managed to boot into Windows without removing the Puppy CD from the CD drive?
Easy, I had to change my BIOS settings to boot from my hard drive first :)
If you provide your snailmail address I will post you a paperclip.
That seems to be a bit extreme! I just don't keep paper clips around, I seldom need them at home. Maybe I can pick one up from the office, but that won't be until Monday...

In any event, I think this happened because I haphazardly rebooted while Puppy was loading off of the CD. My theory is there was a lock put on the drive to keep people from pulling out the CD in the middle of the boot.

After I couldn't get Puppy to recognize my USB keyboard or mouse, I rebooted and Puppy started loading again. So I restarted during the boot sequence and changed my BIOS settings back so I could get into Windows again. If my theory is correct, then if I boot puppy all the way through I should get the drive unlocked.

I would really love to use this distro, the idea behind it seems great. Does it just not support USB keyboards that happen to have USB hubs in them into which you can plug USB mice? I don't really see a way around this short of compiling a custom kernel (unsure if this is possible with this distro) or getting a new keyboard/mouse setup.

I will go ahead and try booting into Puppy again and update here if successful.

Thanks.

CD Ejected: Resolved

#5 Post by Guest »

My theory appears to have been correct.

While I was booting into puppy again, I wrote down a few of the errors I received. I had a PS/2 keyboard plugged in to navigate menus.

There are two questions that are asked on a first boot, I answered both with an enter. Then there is another question (I can't remember these questions). As I answer, after hitting the first key, these errors pop up:

usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:10.1-1.1 address 3
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:10.1-1.2 address 4
hub.c: new USB device 00:10.1-1.1 assigned address 5
usb.c: USB device 5 (vend/prod 0x4f2/0x100) is not claimed by any device driver
hub.c: new USB device 00:10.1-1.2 assigned address 6
usb.c: USB device 6 (vend/prod 0x46d/0xc00e) is not claimed by any device driver

Whenever asked, I chose usb as my mouse type. Then there was another question, upon answering I got this:

keyboard: unknown scancode e0 22

At some point, a menu popped up asking me what keyboard language I wanted. I selected the language, and shortly thereafter I got a constant barrage of errors. They appeared to recognize my keyboard, but obviously weren't loading it.

hub.c: get_hub_status failed
hub.c: usb_hub_port_status (2) failed (err = -84)

I also had errors similar to the first group above (USB disconnect, new USB device assigned address X, device X is not claimed, USB disconnect...). These errors continously cycled, along with the get_hub_status and usb_hub_port_status errors. I believe it was up to address 30 or so before I finally did a manual reboot.

I know this is not the topic of my original post, but any insight would be helpful. I seriously don't think puppy will work in my current hardware configuration, though. But I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised.

Ted Dog

wireless keyboard extra keys scancodes

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

I get those when running my microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo. They are extra info (usally keyboard overflow) they mean nothing. It is a pain though.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

It sure looks like the USB controller on your motherboard is the culprit, or rather, Puppy lacks the right driver for it. Does your BIOS offer option to disable USB? If so, as an experiment, you could disable USB then try to boot Puppy with PS/2 keyboard and mouse. That might not be what you want but it might tell you something useful.

#8 Post by Guest »

Flash wrote:It sure looks like the USB controller on your motherboard is the culprit, or rather, Puppy lacks the right driver for it. Does your BIOS offer option to disable USB? If so, as an experiment, you could disable USB then try to boot Puppy with PS/2 keyboard and mouse. That might not be what you want but it might tell you something useful.
I've never really done much with USB in Linux, but it almost seemed to me that it was my keyboard that was causing the problem. I have an odd keyboard that has a USB hub in it with one plug, allowing you to "daisy chain" a mouse off of the keyboard. I haven't really seen other keyboards like this.

I figure this since the two devices that kept erroring were a keyboard and an HID device (I assume the mouse?). In addition to these devices, I have a Belkin USB hub with a Lexmark printer...however these produced no errors (nor was I able to really find out if they were recognized in the first place).

I might consider using a PS/2 mouse, but I don't have one and am reluctant to waste money on what I consider "old technology". The USB on my mobo is onboard, but I can't imagine it's non-standard (ABIT KV8-Pro).

I imagine Puppy running on a 2GB RAM would've been blazing fast though :)

Point-out-ovious

Hubs are not well supported, and not needed in most new MBs

#9 Post by Point-out-ovious »

I have like 6 USB ports, 4 on back 2 up front and no longer need a hub.

odd keyboard that has a USB hub sounds like a problem wanting to happen.
Try it on your MAC and see what happens. It will not like your Belkin HUB either. However try putting your Belkin HUB first and connect your Odd keyboard to it, it might hid the wierd keyboard from linux snooping.
It just may work. I am assuming you have already had USB keyboard support switched on in your BIOS.
:idea:

Re: Hubs are not well supported, and not needed in most new

#10 Post by Guest »

Point-out-ovious wrote:I have like 6 USB ports, 4 on back 2 up front and no longer need a hub.

odd keyboard that has a USB hub sounds like a problem wanting to happen.
Try it on your MAC and see what happens. It will not like your Belkin HUB either. However try putting your Belkin HUB first and connect your Odd keyboard to it, it might hid the wierd keyboard from linux snooping.
It just may work. I am assuming you have already had USB keyboard support switched on in your BIOS.
:idea:
Since I built this new machine, I have 8 USB hubs (4 in front, 4 in back). The Belkin hub is a holdover from my old computer. But since I'm pretty sure puppy doesn't support my printer anyway, and it's the only thing on my hub, I wouldn't miss it too much if it weren't recognized.

I think I'll try moving my mouse to a port on the computer, just to see if that gets recognized. I have a PS/2 keyboard that seems to work with puppy, as long as I can get a mouse it will become usable. (My mouse is a pretty standard Logitech, two button scroll optical mouse.)

Yes, USB support is enabled in the BIOS.

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

If you get it sorted out to where you can say for sure that some particular chip or other piece of hardware is not Puppy-friendly, would you please post the details in the Hardware category of this forum? :)