How to check MD5 hash in Windows

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Evil20071

How to check MD5 hash in Windows

#1 Post by Evil20071 »

I have run across the issue in the past where there is no way in Windows to check the MD5 hash of a downloaded file. Horrid, I know. Recently, though, I have acquired the MD5SUM Dos program (Attached) and thought I should share it with this community for anyone downloading Puppy (Or anything else for that matter) under Windows.

Steps for use:

1) Download md5sum.zip and extract the .exe to the same folder you downloaded your CD image to. (It doesn't support getting a file from its full location)
2) Open Command Prompt (In XP: Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt)
3) You will have the following show up: (Example is what I see)

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan>
4) Change the directory to match where you downloaded md5sum.exe to like this: (If Desktop)

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan>cd C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop\
If successful, you will see this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan>cd C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop\

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop>
5) Input the MD5 command: (Using the 4.1.1 ISO as an example)

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop>md5sum puppy-4.1.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso
This will return the MD5 hash of the file you entered. It should match the one provided. If so, you can close the command prompt by typing exit and pressing enter. It will be displayed something like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop>md5sum puppy-4.1.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso
59edfa5ed985bfe30fd3216a19499892  *puppy-4.1.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso

C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\Desktop>
Attachments
md5sum.zip
md5sum.zip contains the DOS executable md5sum.exe which is used to check the MD5 hash of downloaded files.
(23.67 KiB) Downloaded 622 times
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

evil20071, what is the provenance of that DOS program? Is it freeware or is it copyrighted?

Bligh

#3 Post by Bligh »

vg1

#4 Post by vg1 »

...or use md5summer [.org] - simple & convenient

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#5 Post by Billwho? »

If you have the correct md5sum saved in a text file (eg. md5sum.txt ) in the same directory as the file you want to check you can enter the following code.

md5sum -c md5sum.txt  

If all went well you will get "OK" retuned at the prompt.

If you do not get an "OK" check the md5sum manually as sometimes the checksum text file does not have the correct formatting of the checksum and file name and gives a false negative. :evil:

I have heard that microsoft have finally managed to remove the command line entirely from vista. If this is true then anyone using vista will have to use a graphical test programme, several of which seem to be available from download dot com

Flash,
If the DOS programme Evil20071 has attached is the same as the one named "Md5sum 1.22 " on the download dot com page I have linked to above then it is listed as Freeware. Also if it is the same as the old copy I still have backed up on my external hard drive then running it with the --version flag will result in this.

sh-3.00# wine ./md5sum.exe --version
md5sum (PCP patchlevel 2) (GNU textutils) 1.22
sh-3.00# 

As you can see it runs onLlinux in Wine with no problem :) and appears to be a GNU programme so may even have been released under the GPL.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

KittyCat

#6 Post by KittyCat »

Billwho? wrote:I have heard that microsoft have finally managed to remove the command line entirely from vista.
They may have thought about that, or even tried, but thankfully they saw the light.

For any other Vista users out there:

In the dynamic search field in the Start menu, type 'cmd' (without the ' ', of course). Then hit enter, and you will now get a little DOS window with a command prompt.

If UAC interferes with the commands you want to run, they will return a message saying you need administrative privileges. If that happens just close the window, go back to the start menu, and type in 'cmd' again. Right-click on the Command Prompt shortcut and pick "run as administrator", and now the DOS window that opens will have Administrator rights.

I hope that helps someone. :)
[color=darkred]Not a dog person. :P [/color]

xman

#7 Post by xman »

PeaZip (http://peazip.sourceforge.net/) is an open source file and archive manager. You can use PeaZip on all Windows versions and on Linux.

PeaZip can verify file checksum and hash. If you want to calculate checksum, right-click the file you will check and select >> File Tools >> Checksum/hash file(s), and you have all checksums you have configured in PeaZip >> Options >> Settings >> File tools.

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

xman

#9 Post by xman »

xman wrote:PeaZip (http://peazip.sourceforge.net/) is an open source file and archive manager. You can use PeaZip on all Windows versions and on Linux.

PeaZip can verify file checksum and hash. If you want to calculate checksum, right-click the file you will check and select >> File Tools >> Checksum/hash file(s), and you have all checksums you have configured in PeaZip >> Options >> Settings >> File tools.
PeaZip 2.7 (http://peazip.sourceforge.net/) works in Windows but also in Puppy Linux. "Image standalone for Linux (GTK2) TAR.GZ" is a portable version. Just download and unpack PeaZip archive, open folder (22 M) and run PeaZip by clicking it.