Anyone Tried Woof Yet?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gerry

Anyone Tried Woof Yet?

#1 Post by gerry »

Has anyone tried Woof yet? Or is it too soon to download it to see what it looks like?

Gerry

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Yes.
Boots like Puppy but I typed

woof pfix=ram

Puppy type menus.

Plain background.

Seamonkey works fine....actualy pretty quick.

I can mount the drives....but read only.
I forget how you change this in Ubuntu.

This has to be a definite Must Do fix from BK.....please.

Playing MP3 seems to be an issue for me,
but Youtube worked fine.

Overall....extremely fast.

Chris.

NathanO

Woof

#3 Post by NathanO »

Per Barry's Blog, Woof is still in the pre-developent stage.

He has requested that if you down load it and find a problem you can wait until the offical release and try it or you can find a way to fix the problem and let him know what it took to do the fix.

prit1

#4 Post by prit1 »

I just tried Woof. Worked just like a typical Puppy except for Xfce and its menus.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

:) Didn't recognise my Nvidia Geforce 7050M video card and no fall back to vesa (hooray)* So it did not run despite running xorgwizard and editing and tweaking etc

*Vesa not possible if using xfce

Should I try it on another machine?
m m m [pondering cructacean] . . .
OK will try on a laptop and report back
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

LaneLester

#6 Post by LaneLester »

I'm posting this reply from Woof with Firefox 3 (sorry, I just don't like Seamonkey). I also have OpenOffice 3 running from the .sfs that someone posted on here. My outdoor weather station software is running just fine.

Puppy user dinky prepared a .pet of the nVidia 173 driver that my old Geforce 5500 uses. So I'm not having any of the crashes that the lack of that driver used to cause me in other Puppies.

Overall, an excellent alpha.

A couple of tips: Barry mentions somewhere that the XFCE shutdown isn't set up yet. So you have to use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to exit X and then enter either "reboot" or "poweroff."

If you enter "wallpaper" in the terminal you'll get the program that gives you a large choice of wallpapers.

Lane

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

you have to use Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to exit X and then enter either "reboot" or "poweroff."
This is not always true. I reported earlier that, on some chipsets (eg SiS), CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE will immediately shut down all power to the board. This is curious indeed, because these are the same boards for which the conventional shutdown procedures also fails, leaving one at a prompt.

BK showed absolutely no interest in these fairly significant features which I would rank as requiring priority attention since they do not occur with any other distros (apart from those based on Puppy). Great opportunity for one of the coding gurus (like Dougal, tempo or pakt?) to grasp this nettle, perhaps.

davec51

Some Experiences with Woof

#8 Post by davec51 »

I tried Woof on two machines: A newer HP with 1G RAM and my old Gateway (400mhtz, 256 RAM). The HP booted up fine, went to the internet in a flash, and generally performed well, EXCEPT
1. Mouse wheel didn't work for scrolling
2. NTFS HD was read only.
The older Gateway missed the lack of VESA. I finally got a screen at 800/600 resolution, not really satisfactory.
I like many things about this distro, but I'd better wait for the beta.

Terryphi

#9 Post by Terryphi »

I'm glad to see that someone has started a thread on Woof. It works fine for me and I have added Opera 10. :) I have also added Bitstream-Vera fonts which look good in Opera.

The only minor problem I have is that my network connection is not saved between sessions.

Firefox

Woof

#10 Post by Firefox »

Did a full install in an empty partition.
gxine doesnt run from desktop icon or menu.
gparted doesnt run beyond initial dialog box
wvdial responds with failed to connect /usr/bin/pupdial line 528 wvdial command not found.
I`m sure there are a lot more but havn`t looked as I couldnt get on the net.

technosaurus

#11 Post by technosaurus »

I fixed part of gxine...
go to /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.11/
right click on libmozjs.so
>File 'libmozjs.so'
Link...

change
/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.11/libmozjs.so <--the file it has
to
/usr/lib/seamonkey-1.1.11/libmozjs.so.0d <---the file its looking for

you can solve these errors by running programs from the command line and the using pfind to find the first part of the file... it is a really common problem

still getting errors though - I may need to manually create some blank files that it is looking for in /root
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Firefox

gxine

#12 Post by Firefox »

Thanks technosaurus the fix in gxine worked, but when i clicked off - without testing any music or video it came up with segmentation fault.
I tried pfind, it worked after I changed permissions - reinitialised. I found many instances of pfind files in /tmp, I suppose thats normal.

01micko

#13 Post by 01micko »

Yes, I've been playing with woof... and Pwidgets :twisted:
Attachments
woodrast.jpg
(35.52 KiB) Downloaded 1335 times
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 05 Jan 2009, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Keef

#14 Post by Keef »

Did a manual frugal install to my Armada 3500 (P300, 192mb), but couldn't get past Xorgwizard - 'Test' kept throwing me back to the same screen again. Not had any problems with xorg (1024x768 LCD) on this machine with any other Puppies from series 2,3 or 4.
I noted that keyboard and locale selection seemed quite sluggish for some reason.

cthisbear

#15 Post by cthisbear »

I can mount the drives....but read only.

How do you change this in Ubuntu.

I've read it somewhere on Whirlpool....but yawn ...yawn...
BK did everything for me in Puppy before.

Well Barry...3 days into 2009 and I'm unhappy already.

Might hop on a plane to Melbourne and give my
2 cents of ungratefulness....Ah! feeling better already.

Chris.

Terryphi

Can't refresh menu?

#16 Post by Terryphi »

I have added openoffice-2.2.0.sfs in the BootManager and rebooted but there is no option to refresh the menu to include OpenOffice. Can this be done from the command line? Or is there a file I can edit?

ttuuxxx

#17 Post by ttuuxxx »

sometimes I click on sfs and extract the files into a folder and make a pet then install the pet. That might work.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

raffy

openoffice

#18 Post by raffy »

Terryphi wrote:I have added openoffice-2.2.0.sfs in the BootManager and rebooted but there is no option to refresh the menu to include OpenOffice. Can this be done from the command line? Or is there a file I can edit?
The simple workaround is to open the OpenOffice folder (usually in /opt), go to /program and drag "soffice" to the desktop. You can then edit that shortcut or set an icon for it.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Terryphi

Re: openoffice

#19 Post by Terryphi »

raffy wrote: The simple workaround is to open the OpenOffice folder (usually in /opt), go to /program and drag "soffice" to the desktop. You can then edit that shortcut or set an icon for it.
Thanks, raffy. :) That fixed it. I haven't found the OO icon yet but that is a minor issue.
ttuuxxx wrote: sometimes I click on sfs and extract the files into a folder and make a pet then install the pet. That might work.
Thanks for the suggestion ttuuxxx but I need to use the sfs for more than one pup.

01micko

#20 Post by 01micko »

Try this .pet. I stole the files (and renamed 'em) from my Mandriva installation. Works for me, read, write, delete, so far so good.
Hopefully will solve the NTFS read write dillemma!

REMOVED .pet
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 09 Jan 2009, 04:11, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access