Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Sep 2014, 13:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
5 min with Vista : 5 min with Puppy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Author Message
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7801
Location: qld

PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec 2008, 21:23    Post subject:  5 min with Vista : 5 min with Puppy
Subject description: need I say more?
 

Ten minutes ago I turned on my son's Christmas pressy.
Vista: Turned it on, 5 min to boot.
Puppy: Booted, configured network, failed. Tried Ndiswrapper failed. Tried again using iwl4965, success! Here I am sitting, typing! Took 5 min.

Merry Christmas!

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
cthisbear

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 3411
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec 2008, 02:55    Post subject:  

A case of a dog is a dog is not Puppy.

Didn't Vista want to make you cry.

All that spec on your sons' computer,
all that shiny new power,
all to no avail.

Chris.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7801
Location: qld

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec 2008, 03:16    Post subject:  

Absolutely! Anyways he likes Puppy and is familiar with it so he can learn both platforms from a young age. Unfortunately windows is a necessary evil ATM.
_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Ted Dog


Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 2326
Location: Heart of Texas

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec 2008, 13:10    Post subject: only five minutes for vista boot  

First time boot with vista took about 5 hours on my first vista laptop. majority of the time was due to the 70+ bug fixes it had to install and a hour to figure out my laptop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7801
Location: qld

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec 2008, 17:07    Post subject: Re: only five minutes for vista boot  

Ted Dog wrote:
First time boot with vista took about 5 hours on my first vista laptop. majority of the time was due to the 70+ bug fixes it had to install and a hour to figure out my laptop.

Did all that prior to wrapping! Smile

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7801
Location: qld

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec 2008, 19:26    Post subject:  

4 hours with Vista:
Booted: 5 min
Configure wireless: Failed first go. Reset essid, wep key, failed again. Rebooted, as you do often in windows, failed again. Tried to investigate, where's the command prompt? Reset essid and wep key, failed again, rebooted, as you do in windows, amazingly, like magic, after ten minutes, I was online! I was flabbergasted!: 1hr 5min
Downloaded even more updates, as you do in windows, had a quick, well not really quick, Internet Explorer took about 2 mins to load, as it does in windows, and update was hogging the bandwidth, web surf. Went to my Puppy lappy and continued surfing.: 50min
Rebooted, as you do in windows, you know, it's critical for installing all those critical updates. Do you think I'm being critical?: 15min
Had AVG installed, downloading virus definitions, 32MB@200b/second. Hang on, that'll take till next year! AVG isn't that big! I'm not sure it wasn't viri and definitions! Abort. Uninstall AVG.: 15min
Searched for suitable 'anti-viri', I'm pretty sure that there might be more than one windows vius. Free as in beer. Hmmm, as long as you drink it through a very long, very narrow straw. Aborted: 1hr
Sat there contemplating what to do next: 30 min (the most productive of the 4hours)
Still unprotected.

20 min with Puppy-4.1.2
Booted: <1min
Online immediately: 0sec
Configured sharing. Downloaded from this puppy machine a bunch of saved pets.:<3min
Installed Conky, Pwidgets, many deepthought .pets, a few clock skins: 5min
Downloaded Firepup-0.4.3.pet and installed:<2min
Configured desktop with a nice theme, customised rxvt and JWM. Uploaded screenshot to "4.2 desktop and artwork" thread: 5min
Sat there enjoying my desktop: >4min
Priceless!

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Ted Dog


Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Posts: 2326
Location: Heart of Texas

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec 2008, 19:42    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
4 hours with Vista:
Booted: 5 min
Configure wireless: Failed first go. Reset essid, wep key, failed again. Rebooted, as you do often in windows, failed again. Tried to investigate, where's the command prompt? Reset essid and wep key, failed again, rebooted, as you do in windows, amazingly, like magic, after ten minutes, I was online! I was flabbergasted!: 1hr 5min
Downloaded even more updates, as you do in windows, had a quick, well not really quick, Internet Explorer took about 2 mins to load, as it does in windows, and update was hogging the bandwidth, web surf. Went to my Puppy lappy and continued surfing.: 50min
Rebooted, as you do in windows, you know, it's critical for installing all those critical updates. Do you think I'm being critical?: 15min
Had AVG installed, downloading virus definitions, 32MB@200b/second. Hang on, that'll take till next year! AVG isn't that big! I'm not sure it wasn't viri and definitions! Abort. Uninstall AVG.: 15min
Searched for suitable 'anti-viri', I'm pretty sure that there might be more than one windows vius. Free as in beer. Hmmm, as long as you drink it through a very long, very narrow straw. Aborted: 1hr
Sat there contemplating what to do next: 30 min (the most productive of the 4hours)
Still unprotected.

20 min with Puppy-4.1.2
Booted: <1min
Online immediately: 0sec
Configured sharing. Downloaded from this puppy machine a bunch of saved pets.:<3min
Installed Conky, Pwidgets, many deepthought .pets, a few clock skins: 5min
Downloaded Firepup-0.4.3.pet and installed:<2min
Configured desktop with a nice theme, customised rxvt and JWM. Uploaded screenshot to "4.2 desktop and artwork" thread: 5min
Sat there enjoying my desktop: >4min
Priceless!




NOW TRY AND FIND A CALCULATOR program in vista. Puppy has three.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
cthisbear

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 3411
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec 2008, 01:03    Post subject:  

01micko :

Next time download Network Magic.

It finds all your networks fast....especially with Vista.

http://www.purenetworks.com/download/

Just keep using the free version after 7 days.

Chris.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7801
Location: qld

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec 2008, 01:46    Post subject:  

The thing I notice about all this 'free' sh*t for windows is the appalling bandwidth. I downloaded Puppy 412 in less than 10 minutes the other day. I'm gonna wait over an hour for Network Magic, 14meg. And I reinstalled AVG so spose I'll be trying for a week to get those defs. Can only get them trough the program so if the link is broken it seems back to scratch. Crying or Very sad
Man, Windows7 better fix this or That's the absolute end of the Microsoft upgrade cycle for me.
Might even mail Lenovo and tell 'em I trashed the hardrive and need XP restored. Oh, but then they will want the licence number of that sticker on the bottom.
If I dont get vista running good within a week I think I'll bury it and load Mandriva or Fedora. Not much of 'buntu fan. If it wasn't my young bloke's I'd go Slackware. Puppy will always be present though, but so he doesn't wreck it, it's maybe better if he doesn't run as root. He likes Mandriva too, and I haven't used any of the rpm type distros apart from Mandriva since before Fedora appeared, ie Red Hat.
We'll get something sorted, but this vista thing has been taking tooooooo long.

Update: Problem here. Got sick of waiting for Network Magic, so downloaded thru Puppy, 5 min. Some driver problem I suspect. See what Network Magic has to say. BTW have normal speeds in the network, wireless B and G. Weird.

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 10750
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec 2008, 06:11    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
The thing I notice about all this 'free' sh*t for windows is the appalling bandwidth. I downloaded Puppy 412 in less than 10 minutes the other day. I'm gonna wait over an hour for Network Magic, 14meg. And I reinstalled AVG so spose I'll be trying for a week to get those defs. Can only get them trough the program so if the link is broken it seems back to scratch. Crying or Very sad
Man, Windows7 better fix this or That's the absolute end of the Microsoft upgrade cycle for me.
Might even mail Lenovo and tell 'em I trashed the hardrive and need XP restored. Oh, but then they will want the licence number of that sticker on the bottom.
If I dont get vista running good within a week I think I'll bury it and load Mandriva or Fedora. Not much of 'buntu fan. If it wasn't my young bloke's I'd go Slackware. Puppy will always be present though, but so he doesn't wreck it, it's maybe better if he doesn't run as root. He likes Mandriva too, and I haven't used any of the rpm type distros apart from Mandriva since before Fedora appeared, ie Red Hat.
We'll get something sorted, but this vista thing has been taking tooooooo long.

Update: Problem here. Got sick of waiting for Network Magic, so downloaded thru Puppy, 5 min. Some driver problem I suspect. See what Network Magic has to say. BTW have normal speeds in the network, wireless B and G. Weird.


Hey mick

Maybe Linux Mint, thats my 2second favorite Linux, Its Ubuntu based but much smaller, plus its very appealing to the eye, and the package manager is really good.

Plus you shouldn't run any windows without upto date Antivirus and antispyware, Something like under 5 minutes and your infected, and thats without even surfing. If you son doesn't use Photoshop or Dreamweaver then there is 0% reason why to use windows period.
well goodluck with it,
spyware terminator and avast are about your best free protection you can get for windows.
http://www.spywareterminator.com/
http://www.download.com/avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?cdlPid=10888427
avg is good but I find its a resource hog, not as bad as nortons, Nortons is the worst, I still think Quickheal is the best Antivirus going but you have to buy it every year.
grrrr
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7801
Location: qld

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec 2008, 07:15    Post subject:  

Finally got AVG updated, I downloaded a fresh copy and then did the updates. The damn program was 50 meg compressed but at least the updates were only 1.5 meg.
Any ways, I have serious bandwidth issues in Vista, but if I boot to Puppy it flies, Downloaded "fat-free_3.0I-xorg.iso" in under 10 minutes from Eric's site. (for another project). Might just do a full install of puppy yet!
Just don't know yet. Man, you pay good bucks you expect performance. This exercise has just made me more anti-microsoft! Evil or Very Mad

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
cthisbear

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 3411
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec 2008, 07:37    Post subject:  

01micko :
Use Major Geeks....but download through the OZ
Internode servers listed.

Comodo has a free Firewall-AV.....gives a lot of
messages early on...until you tune it.

http://antivirus.comodo.com/

""""""""
AVG free is just awful.

Avast is always good for most.

http://majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html

"""""""""
ccleaner for cleaning.....only tick the desk icon when installing.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Toolbar_d4191.html

/////////////
Vista tweaker:

http://xenomorph.net/?page_id=336

plenty around

http://majorgeeks.com/TweakVI_Basic_Edition_d5262.html

For Vista I would never download updates....a dead loss.
Use the newest Firefox 2....not Firefox 3.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Mozilla_Firefox_2_d285.html

::::::::::::::::

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

All the file categories are on the left.
They have even loaded Puppy releases occasionally.
A well run clean fast site....with some humour.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Network_Magic_Basic_d5305.html

Download from Internode Internode - |Australia|

///////////////

Antivirus:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html

////////////
Antispyware:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

//////////////

For the newest fixes for trojans etc,

Keep a copy of:

Dr Web Cureit
Superantispyware
Malwarebytes Anti Malwhere

/////////////

Whirlpool Windows forums:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=10

Any advice from Col Peters is usually sound.

Good luck mate....if you were close in Sydney I would
fix it for you.

Chris.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7801
Location: qld

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec 2008, 07:53    Post subject:  

Thanks Chris,

I'll definitely get round to using those links. Vista thing has sapped my time! But anyways, the speed issue is with the machine/Vista. It downloads fast as in Puppy. Bloody weird. Confused Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Laughing

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
cthisbear

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 3411
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec 2008, 19:07    Post subject:  

Black Viper's Top 9 tweaks for a faster
(and less annoying) Vista PC :

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/supertweaks.htm

"""""""""""""

If all else fails...a secret MS tweak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUKB3PxG-0E

Chris.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7801
Location: qld

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec 2008, 04:50    Post subject:  

Chris
Thanks heaps mate. I think I've got vista humming along ok now. Bloody thing should go ok out of the box. Trouble with microsoft is they think they are on the 'bleeding edge' but really they are still only patching up and tweaking good ol' NT!

Cheers
Mick

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0897s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0036s) ][ GZIP on ]