Ecopup 0.7.3.2 - Beta release now with AUTOMATED INSTALLER!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Libretto100ct

#31 Post by Libretto100ct »

I have had some computers that did not appear to save the Network config info, when in reality it does. But for whatever reason it doesn't connect back up at reboot. The way I solve this in Puppy 3 & 4 series is to find the config file for the wifi card or etho and copy it on to the /etc/rclocal file.

#Libretto100ct ADDS............
/etc/network-wizard/wireless/profiles/"my wifi card Mac address"

You just need to find where that specific file is for the wireless or ethernet card is. In another words it would have to be set for each computer. I've yet to find a universal fix, though I keep trying anyway.

ecomoney

#32 Post by ecomoney »

Hi Libretto....I think this is what I will have to do, opy the eth0mode file to the end of etc/rc.d/rc.local. In fact, I think it might be even better to have ecopup try to connect automatically via dhcp on eth0 anyway, since this is the configuration with approx 4 out of five of our clients. I know other distros do this and it has been suggested for puppy also.
Some clients use wireless laptops (increasingly so) so I would have to set these up manually.

Increasingly Ive had to install puppy 4.1.2. for people, just because this gets them online with various problems of wireless/screen compatibility and such like. I would really like to try and upgrade ecopup's "core" to puppy (or even puppy 4.2CE when it comes out). Ive had a few attempts at doing the automatic upgrade (after renaming the eco_save.2fs pup_save.2fs) but it tends to go horribly wrong.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

AnewJeff

#33 Post by AnewJeff »

Eco$,

I tried visiting your website today and received "Site Attack" warnings. Any idea what's going on there? I visited your website hoping to get a better idea of what Eco$ystems is all about.

I have a e-cycling company in the States and am utilizing puppy to achieve a similary mission. I'm using Muppy 084 as a base and have customized it from there with: FF3, OO3, Compiz, etc. I had a similar idea as you and added an educational suite; however, I used KDE's Edutainment Suite instead of GCompris (after reducing KDE to about 100MB). In total, it's about the same size as Ecopup and is running on P3-500+. Still working out some bugs though...

I'm downloading your pup now and am anxious to see it. I haven't published my pup yet, but I'd be open to sharing if you're interested in comparing notes.

Jeff

ecomoney

#34 Post by ecomoney »

A new useability bug.... powerpoint .ppt files are not opening with openoffice. Will add to the list of updates.

Flash is still causing problems, there are basically three versions of flash 9 as far as I can tell. One will do full screen, one will work better on older computers, some skip frames, another works well but crashes firefox frequently. There are other problems as sites like facebook will only accept the latest flash (9.0.114 I think). Flash has always been a royal PITA due to its closed source, resource hungry nature. Im thinking of attempting to write some sort of script that will allow ecopup to switch between the different versions with a click of a button, but I need to do some more testing and evaluation of all three versions (and maybe even beta10).

Hi anowjeff, I would definetely be interested in comparing notes. Have you tested your pup and researched it on real newbs? Having real-life access to any computer programs eventual users is critical to its success. Its also a painful fact that end-users are used to the limitations of Windows, and when they "buy" ino a new operating system they want it to be as much like their expectations as possible (the teletubby wallpaper works wonders here).

Yes, sorry about the website, our servage account got hacked (as did puppy linux's own servage site, I cant find the link in the search though). Ive cleaned the site up again but google still blacklists it. Im a bit stuck actually as to how to fix it. I did have interviews planned for linux.com and other publications, but theyve shunned me while our website is still in this state.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Truth Seeker

http://www.ecomoney.co.uk/

#35 Post by Truth Seeker »

When I try to go to this web site: http://www.ecomoney.co.uk/ I get a page warning that it has been reported as an Attack Site.
Using Firefox 3.0.5 with NoScript and Adblock Plus and Downloadhelper and Foxmarks addons installed. Have not seen this warning before.
Is this a joke or what?

ecomoney

#36 Post by ecomoney »

No Im afraid not...our webhosts servage got their security compromised and some links to virus websites added to invisible tags on our front webpage. Google picked it up and blacklisted our site. We do have someone looking at it for us, and Ive gone through the site and removed the links, so the site is safe to browse.....even on a windows machine.

Servage are moving us to a new server so hopefully this wont happen again...I believe it happened to a few of puppy linux's main websites too.

Sorry for any inconvenience

MU

#37 Post by MU »

my account also was compromized, despite the write protection I estabished in the control panel (everything set to "555" recursively).
The index.htm on the main folder and a subfolder got compromized daily.
I finally found a new ftp user I had not created myself.
After deleting him and changing most ftp passwords, the problem disappeared.

Concerning google/firefox, you must create an account at google.
It gives you the option, to recheck your site by google, by using something called "websitetools" or similar, I don't exactly remember the name.
To confirm, that it is your site, you must upload a small certification file to your site, then you can request to rescan your site using thoose tools.
If no more suspicious links are found, your site is removed from googles blacklist, and firefox will no longer warn that it is potentially insecure.

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

noprimenumbers

#38 Post by noprimenumbers »

MU wrote:my account also was compromized, despite the write protection I estabished in the control panel (everything set to "555" recursively).
The index.htm on the main folder and a subfolder got compromized daily.
I finally found a new ftp user I had not created myself.
After deleting him and changing most ftp passwords, the problem disappeared.

Concerning google/firefox, you must create an account at google.
It gives you the option, to recheck your site by google, by using something called "websitetools" or similar, I don't exactly remember the name.
To confirm, that it is your site, you must upload a small certification file to your site, then you can request to rescan your site using thoose tools.
If no more suspicious links are found, your site is removed from googles blacklist, and firefox will no longer warn that it is potentially insecure.

Mark
That would be "Webmaster tools"
I use it along with about half of the other stuff they have. I will work very well in getting your site back to go. I had checked your site with it this morning and was going to PM you but am glad to see that Mark has mentioned it to you. According to Google's tools you will just need to make a few adjustments and have them check the site again.
http://www.google.com/webmasters/

Scott

I just started to download the alpha. I will upload it to my servers tonight.
The link will be
http://www.4neo-quest.com/neoquest/iso/ ... -alpha.iso
It should be about midnight central time US +- 30min.
I hope this will be of some help. Let me know if there are any problems with this link. (In the morning)
This is a download not a mirror. Please check the hash code.

ecomoney

#39 Post by ecomoney »

Greets noprimenumbers/MU

MU thank you very much for that walkthrough, Im going to do all the things you suggest to get my site un-blacklisted today. Its been a thorn in our side for quite some time now,

npn, I appreciate the extra mirror. Weve been getting about 700gb per week in download since we put the alpha up, which is far to near our 5tb per month allowance for comfort. Caneri has thankfully provided us with an extra mirror which takes the strain off a bit. Last time we release ecopup it downed our servers for weeks, which also took down some of the small charity and community group websites we host as well. May I ask, where is the server based? I can then put it on our list of download locations. Would you like a link to any of your sites?

noprimenumbers

#40 Post by noprimenumbers »

Hay there ecomoney

The server is in the US.
When I learn how to set it up as a true mirror it would be better.
For any who don't know how the download can be manually mirrored by using a down-loader and adding all links as mirrors.
I use free download manager for MS

If you have an ad and a news release I would love to add them to my site.
http://www.neo-quest.org/

Your welcome
Scott

ttuuxxx

#41 Post by ttuuxxx »

Talking about recycling, About 2 years back The Canadian Government bought an extra 1200 pc's, they were loaded with the regular software plus Government software, But it was an actual screwup, They ordered 1200 too many, well do you think they formated the hard drives, yessss and sold them? Ummmmmm no they went to a land fill in Ottawa and were crushed. Due to the fact that they had Government software installed. I personally think if they had to crush something, then remove the hard drives,crush them and sell the pc's with new hard drives.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

DonShi

#42 Post by DonShi »

Hi economy
puplet echopup 0.7.3.2 alpha

I downloaded this from Puppy's download sight, Jan 23, 2009 I did a MD5 on it and it was good. I did three different burns of the .sio One was on a DVD and got the same results. I sent a more detailed email to ttuuxxx as I have run his puplets for some time now. I am not a programmer I'm more in the Newbe category. This is a very interesting project. If I can get this running I'll test it for a while for you as I run several puplets under VirtualBox. In any case keep up the good work. I did try to log onto your URL but as you said I get a warning form firefox about that URL. Okay well there may be a problem with the .iso boot code. You may need some one to verify this situation.

This is a grand project you have here and I'll keep an eye on it in any case and thanks in advanced for what I have learned from it so far.

I unzipped the echo_save.2fs to a USB flash drive and added the other two .sfs files they suggested for a faster boot up. I then rebooted, everything was going fine until it got to the part where it found the echo_save.2fs it said done then the problems started. I got the following message in red:

ERROR, cannot find puppy on “idecd

ecomoney

#43 Post by ecomoney »

Hi there DonShi, thank you very much for testing ecopup, Im very much a "newb" when it comes to linux internals (Im more of a linux external expert). Ive come across the error you described before, and its usually when the pup_215.sfs file is corrupted. I will check the download again, Ive noticed a few errors myself but what with cheap CD's and unreliable second hand cd burners Ive not been able to properly verify them. There is a way to test for this though.

The only real changes I have made to ecopup are all in the eco_save.2fs file, provided you have this you have ecopup.

The changes Iv made to the other files are quite simple. Ive changed the pup_215.sfs and initrd.gz file to display a short boot up message. In the initrd file I have also changed the name of the file puppy searches for a bootup from pup_save.2fs to eco_save.2fs (I did it by unzipping it, doing a crude text search-n-replace, and zipping it back up!).

Therefore all you need to do is replace the files from the iso with the standard ones from puppy 2.15ce Viz, which you can still download from here

Try just replacing the pup_215.sfs file first (all you will lose is the startup message). If that doesnt work that means one of the other files is corrupt. Try swapping the initrd.gz, remembering to rename the eco_save.2fs file back to pup_save.2fs.

UPDATE

A few times Ive been cought with badly burned disks at customers houses. Ive uploaded the files which come on the ecopup cd to

http://ecomoney.eu/ecopup/files/0.7.3.2/

DonShi

#44 Post by DonShi »

Okay thanks ecomoney

I'll set up a folder and try the changes you suggested. I'll get back to you on my results. It may be a week or so perhaps I can get to it this weekend. Knowing me I'll squeeze some time out of my working week too. Hobbies are just like that. :)

I use these pulets in my business and you have something here that looks like could be quite helpful to some of my other marketing executives. Keep up the good work and I'll put echopup on my hobby list of things to do.

Puppylinux and the puplets have become a hobby of mine. You developers and remaster enthuses are doing grand work. Thanks to all of you.

DonShi
Gochiman

noprimenumbers

MD5 Good But Files Corupt

#45 Post by noprimenumbers »

Hi again.

I had some of the same problems with the MD5 Checksum being good but still having trouble with corrupted files. I found that when I ran a test of my memory that it contained errors. I use Ultimate Boot CD for doing test. If you run the Memtest86 it may not find errors with some boards so also try the windows test or try them all if you want. I did.
If your memory is faulty it can cause these problems.

Hope this helps.
Scott

Ecomoney...
BTW I am now testing Ecopup myself and will be giving a system to our local Sheltered Workshop for the employees to play with.
Hope your getting your site running better.

_MegadetH_

#46 Post by _MegadetH_ »

hi ecomoney!
I'm running current version live cd with a usb stick, but the screen is not centered, it is out of the monitor on the right side. If I set with xvesa it works but I want to use xorg because xvesa has slow screen refresh. can you help me please?

Colonel Panic

#47 Post by Colonel Panic »

It all looks good, but I don't have a CD burner-rewriter. Is it possible to use the ISO of ecopup (which I have) to boot up and use it on my computer?

Thanks in advance,

Best,

Colonel Panic .

Colonel Panic

#48 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; I think I've figured it out now. It just needs my making a lot of extra of space on my hard drive, and copying a few files and moving others around.

Hope it runs in 256 MB of RAM though :)

Best,

Colonel Panic.

ecomoney

#49 Post by ecomoney »

@ _MegadetH_ The problem is likely with your monitor settings, use the buttons on the front of it to adjust your width/stretch/placement. What you could also try is to go through the "test" procedure with the xorgwizard, and set a different "refresh rate" Ive not made any changes to the video setup from the standard 2.15ce

@Colonel Panic

you will need about 2gb of space to install ecopup, and it will run fine in 256mb of ram. The cybercafe computers where it was created only had 192mb!

Remember to unzip the "ecopup.zip" file to your hard drive.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Colonel Panic

#50 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

(Edit; I made some space by clearing off some old files and am posting from it now. I'm impressed, it's up there as a worthy contender with Teenpup for the best series 2 pup IMO.

The only problem I've had so far has been when I've tried changing the JWM theme, where I'm getting this error message;

"There was an error writing your choice to the config file. Please try again."