Puppy How-To Flash Videos

News, happenings
Rhino

Puppy How-To Flash Videos

#1 Post by Rhino »

I have been playing with Wink making some HowTo videos for using Puppy. Check it out let me know how they work for you at
http://rhinoweb.us

Specifically:

How long does it take for the videos to download on a dialup connection...are they too slow?

Is the actual screen size rendering to large?

Is the quality (viewablility) of the videos OK?

Let me know of any suggestions or improvements I can make.

Thanks![/url]

aahhaaa

#2 Post by aahhaaa »

Hi Rhino- nice idea, nice work! :D

It's Sunday dinnertime here, modem claiming 48K; Change Desktop Wallpaper took about 8 minutes to arrive. It loaded to about halfway as a continuous stream, then arrived as 10 second 'bursts'.

It played flawlessly in Firefox once loaded. :D

Only suggestion I'd make is mebbe survey what is stumping people- again, nice work! :wink:

MU

#3 Post by MU »

very nice!

One thing: the IRC-video has a very high resolution of 1024*768.
This will force you to scroll even if you have the same resolution (as mozilla has a small menue-area at top).

Also, many puppians just use 800*600 pixel.

So I would suggest to use a slightly smaller area than 800*600.

I could receive the videos in some seconds with ADSL.
Very helpfull, I think :-)

Mark

raffy

Nice but

#4 Post by raffy »

That must be nice and timely, but sadly, my 28Kbps connection cant handle it (yes, am in a rural area, too).

Will try again while in the office today (connection there is 56 Kbps dial-up).

Rhino

#5 Post by Rhino »

As I get better with Wink, I think I have figured out how to make them a little smaller without sacrificing usablility. I will go back and optimize those I have already posted...8 minutes is too long for a short video clip on dialup.

I made the IRC video at the higher resolution so I could have more screen "real estate" to handle 3 GAIM windows at once, but I think you are right...too much scrolling and it loses its effectiveness. I will fix it.

I think I will also post the file sizes next to each link so you know what you are about to commit to if you are on dialup :o

Thanks for the suggestions and information, it is greatly appreciated. :-)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Tutorials

#6 Post by Lobster »

8) Superb!

Sometimes all I want is an idiots guide - the first one I downloaded
the Gaim one I will make use of . . .
(I did have a brief look at the possibility of GAIM coming ready configured for puppylinux IRC but could not find how to do this . . . maybe someone will)

Can the images be output as a set of jpg for a web page - for those with slower connections?

Pleased to see you making use of my little "Puppy Linux logo" (created in Inkscape)

I would suggest a tutorial on setting up, using and sending wink tutorials for contributors. I would suggest making the wink files available for others to tweak and add to - thus the knowledge store and expertise will grow.

It is also important to remember that a lot of users will try to have the tutorial and Gaim open on the same page - so it might be worth informing at the beginning the use of the multiple windows in Linux

In fact an intro to Puppy Linux would be great - what no sound?
Another reason to collaborate - ideally you need a womans voice (they are clearer) This of course is not essential. :)

I would also like to see a tutorial for Windows users on how to download and prepare or buy a Puppy CD

Download the wink from here
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 7812#17812
Can someone put it on the dotpup contributions page please :)

Good work rhino!

8) Superb!
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 15 Nov 2005, 09:02, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Rhino

#7 Post by Rhino »

I reduced the size of each video, so it should fit comfortably in a browser window without having to scroll too much...if at all.

I also greatly reduced the size of the video files from around 3Mb to around 500Kb! turns out when editing them you can remove repetitive images and the mouse arrow moves smoothly between images. Very nice work by the folks making Wink!

I also added the sizes of the files to each link so you know what you are getting into.

I will certainly make a video on how to make a video :-)

For those who viewed earlier with dialup connections, let me know if this works better for you.

Thanks again. :-)

MU

#8 Post by MU »

very cool with the dropped frames. runs much smoother now :P

aahhaaa

#9 Post by aahhaaa »

7 AM EST, 48K, Change Desktop Wallpaper took about 3 minutes, GAIM a little over 5.

It runs quite a bit faster too, almost too fast. Screen sharpness/size OK.

On the instructions, perhaps 'Open in New Tab/Window' might be better than the back button? Then they could be downloading another while viewing one. Also, should/can they be saved to the downloading machine? I'd guess that some folks might want it for reference again later- ie setting up modem, GAIM, Wireless, etc. Would eliminate excess d/ling.

One design thing- very minor. The BACK/NEXT control is nested in the captured toolbar area. Could you make it stand out a bit more?

BACK button steps thru w/o cursor animation. If you get to doing very long ones, this would be OK in Forward too, if the cursor was 'bolded' somehow. Make a good quick review too.

Additional topic might be using various file managers? That's the biggest general diff for Win users, imho.

oh yeah- looks good on Firefox in XP window too.

Rhino

#10 Post by Rhino »

I just updated the site with some new videos on how to install BurnCDCC in Windows and another on how to use it to burn an iso. Hopefully these videos will help a Windows user get started with Puppy.

MU

#11 Post by MU »

Very nice again :)
Maybe there should be a hint, to burn the CD at 4x Speed. Some users reported Kernel-panics with CDs burned at Highspeed.

50 MB will even burn fast at 4x Speed.

Mark

Rhino

#12 Post by Rhino »

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that. I will put a tip box in there about the 4x as soon as I get a chance.

For the good news though, I finally got gftp working (helps to have the correct information), so now I can develop the page using Puppy exclusively :-)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#13 Post by GuestToo »

i always check the Read Verify box when i use BurnCDCC ... it tests the cd for burn errors ... i don't know if it works or not, i have never had a bad burn using BurnCDCC

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

I have used it and it slows down the burn time considerably G2. I always choose the lowest available burn speed (usually x4) and have never had a bad burn (using rewriteable CD's)

The last couple of burns I have used burn2CD (in Puppy) but I had to use Graveman to clear the rewriteable CD. Do we have a way of doing a check to see if data is on the disk and offer to erase it before burning?
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 16 Nov 2005, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Artie

#15 Post by Artie »

This is great work! If possible, maybe you could make an instruction video out of this? http://puppylinux.org/wikka/OperaBrowser
Thanks!

Artie

Nathan F

#16 Post by Nathan F »

Rhino-

I really like what you've done with this so far. So much so that I've made an unleashed package out of Wink for the Grafpup repository. I may follow your lead and start putting some flash tutorials up online when time permits.

Thanks for starting this. I'd like to see these pages you put up prominently linked from all the various Puppy sites as they are a great resource for beginners.

Nathan

Rhino

#17 Post by Rhino »

You'll be glad to know that a couple of the videos were made using GrafPup. Grafpup is excellent... I would love to see some tutorials on using the Gimp ;-)

Nathan F

#18 Post by Nathan F »

You may get your wish sometime. I think this would be a good way to add documentation to the Grafpup website.

Nathan

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

Holy Moly, that's the stuff! A link to the Flash tutorials definitely belongs at the top of the Beginners sticky index, or should it go in Lobster's sticky 'New Pups' post?

Rhino

#20 Post by Rhino »

Would someone who is bit more of a technical person than I look over the video I made for connecting to a wireless network. It is a rather convoluted process and I cannot match every puppy users circumstances. Let me know if I am at least factually correct or if I left out anything really important.

Thanks in advance! :) [/url]