mtPaint development

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
`f00

#61 Post by `f00 »

one - procure here, save ..
Image or a more recent version :lol: and extract ..

two

three

four (optional) - try Help again ;)
this time, it's LOCAL - look Ma, no internets needed!

WhoDo

#62 Post by WhoDo »

wjaguar wrote:BTW, why not put a link to http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handbook ... ap_00.html into Puppy's Help menu? Lately, I see a bit too many people who don't even know mtPaint is supposed to have a manual - so it would be useful to make the manual easier to find.
Agreed. :idea:
wjaguar wrote:And one more thing - when is Puppy 4.2 expected to be released? I have several bugfixes for mtPaint 3.30, and am going to do the 3.31 bugfix release soon - and it'd be unfortunate if I released it too late.
Assuming the last few items of cleanup go as planned, I'll probably release 4.2 Final around Wednesday of this week (my time GMT +10). If you need any more time just let me know. I'd be happy to hold off for the right incentive! :P
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

wjaguar

#63 Post by wjaguar »

WhoDo wrote:Assuming the last few items of cleanup go as planned, I'll probably release 4.2 Final around Wednesday of this week (my time GMT +10). If you need any more time just let me know. I'd be happy to hold off for the right incentive! :P
Myself, I plan to release version 3.31 the next weekend (i.e., on March 28th or 29th) - but as far as bugfixes go, version 3.30.03 here already has them all. What isn't yet done is updating docs (the handbook released with version 3.30 had a few things left out) and adding a new small feature or two (I don't like to do pure bugfix releases).
So if you would rather release Puppy 4.2 before March 30th, you can just use the version 3.30.03 without missing anything important - but waiting till proper 3.31 release is going to be at least somewhat rewarded. :-)

synth

#64 Post by synth »

@wjaguar: mtPaint has a serious (usability) issue: Resizing a selection vertically or horizontally is a pain in the butt.

Try this little freeware app for Windows (works with WINE):

http://photofiltre.free.fr/utils/pf-setup-en.exe

and see how the horizontal / vertical resizing works there. Then you'll see what's wrong with mtPaint.

wjaguar

#65 Post by wjaguar »

synth wrote:@wjaguar: mtPaint has a serious (usability) issue: Resizing a selection vertically or horizontally is a pain in the butt.
mtPaint does not implement the very concept of "selections" - so, quite obviously, cannot do any operations on them. There are images which get modified, and clipboards which get copied and pasted - with nothing in between.
Try this little freeware app for Windows (works with WINE):
http://photofiltre.free.fr/utils/pf-setup-en.exe
and see how the horizontal / vertical resizing works there. Then you'll see what's wrong with mtPaint.
If you think there is an usability issue with mtPaint, then present an use case - with a clear example and at least a bit of explanation. I don't have time to waste hunting for obscure hints in Windows programs I never before used - and puzzle-solving never was my favorite occupation. :-)

And if you like Photofiltre, then you might want to do something to help with its Linux port: http://pflx.x10hosting.com/. ;-)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#66 Post by Flash »

I tried putting some things in mtPaint's Preferences and rebooting to make sure the changes were saved, but still I get the same error message when I click Documents in mtPaint's Help menu. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
mtPaint Preferences settings.jpg
(49.77 KiB) Downloaded 1274 times
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

wjaguar

#67 Post by wjaguar »

Flash wrote:What am I doing wrong?
You put an http:// URL where mtPaint expects a local filename.
Currently, mtPaint doesn't allow to use remote URL as documentation link; it checks if a local file with that name is present - which obviously fails - and reports error without even trying to actually launch a browser.

muggins

#68 Post by muggins »

@Flash,

mtpaint v3.29 handbook is available as a .pet here.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#69 Post by Flash »

Thanks to both of you. :)

Wjaguar, I guessed that might be the problem but couldn't think of a way to confirm my guess.

Dingo

mtpaint default canvas color

#70 Post by Dingo »

just a question. I like to have a white baground at mtpaint start (default canvas color is black), it is possible to change the default background from black to white?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

technosaurus

#71 Post by technosaurus »

could you just have a local file with an automatic redirect to a web page???

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://www.yourdomain.com/index.html">
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

wjaguar

Re: mtpaint default canvas color

#72 Post by wjaguar »

Dingo wrote:just a question. I like to have a white baground at mtpaint start (default canvas color is black), it is possible to change the default background from black to white?
Not without patching code and recompiling. Patch is attached.
Attachments
whitefill.patch.gz
Gzipped patch
(255 Bytes) Downloaded 555 times

wjaguar

#73 Post by wjaguar »

technosaurus wrote:could you just have a local file with an automatic redirect to a web page???
A good idea. But it is not for me to use it - I myself package mtPaint complete with docs.
Still, seeing that mtPaint released with Puppy 4.2 got miscompiled despite my advice, I now think I'll need to distribute an official .pet package like I'm distributing an official .deb . Given that .pet package seems to be just a Slackware-like .tgz with a changed extension, it should not be hard to do.
And now with upcoming mtPaint 3.31 already having missed Puppy 4.2 release, I'm in no hurry anymore, and have time to try this. :-)

big_bass

#74 Post by big_bass »

wjaguar
A good idea. But it is not for me to use it - I myself package mtPaint complete with docs.
Still, seeing that mtPaint released with Puppy 4.2 got miscompiled despite my advice, I now think I'll need to distribute an official .pet package like I'm distributing an official .deb . Given that .pet package seems to be just a Slackware-like .tgz with a changed extension, it should not be hard to do.
And now with upcoming mtPaint 3.31 already having missed Puppy 4.2 release, I'm in no hurry anymore, and have time to try this. Smile
Hey wjaguar

A suggestion compile a slackware package
and or re post how you want it compiled correctly I'll happily compile it on slackware
since the new woof format allows for slackware.tgz

I can quickly make it a pet and upload it to puppylinux.ca
and I include the docs since they are usually small anyway

thanks for the white background patch too

looking forward to your new work
UPDATED just patched and recompiled but the background was still black on the start up screen

big_bass
Attachments
mtpaint new version.png
(13.78 KiB) Downloaded 624 times
Last edited by big_bass on Sat 28 Mar 2009, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

rheya

#75 Post by rheya »

a possibility to open some Raw files :lol:

wjaguar

#76 Post by wjaguar »

big_bass wrote:A suggestion compile a slackware package
and or re post how you want it compiled correctly I'll happily compile it on slackware
since the new woof format allows for slackware.tgz
I have precompiled Slackware packages of mtPaint 3.30 on Sourceforge (naturally, since I'm running Slackware myself). But compiling mtPaint properly isn't hard to do - "./configure --prefix=/usr intl release" should be proper settings for Puppy (omit "intl" if you don't need internationalized version). The "release" switch does several things - it enables select optimizations which really do improve speed, tells linker not to add unneeded dependencies, and disables debug code GTK+ would otherwise add. Overall, this makes the executable smaller, faster, and more portable. The target architecture is chosen to be i386, because later architectures just increase the binary size without any noticeable improvement in performance.
I can quickly make it a pet and upload it to puppylinux.ca
and I include the docs since they are usually small anyway
If you can do this once I released version 3.31, it'll be greatly appreciated.

BTW, mtPaint 3.31 prerelease version source is here: http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/temp/mtp ... 05.tar.bz2
UPDATED just patched and recompiled but the background was still black on the start up screen
Should not happen. Maybe the patch hadn't applied correctly? It needs to be applied from within the "src" subdirectory, or it won't find the file to patch.

big_bass

#77 Post by big_bass »

wjaguar
If you can do this once I released version 3.31, it'll be greatly appreciated.

I'll stick to the plan and leave it all original it compiled perfectly
without the patch * I will not add the patch to the official package that's your call *and yes you were correct the final mtpaint.bin was smaller
using your configure options 8)

and when 3.31 comes out I'll upload the pet :D

big_bass

amigo

#78 Post by amigo »

wjaguar, thanks for the tip about the configuration options. I keep pretty up-to-date with mtapint and sometimes make packages available on my site, so it is good to have the heads-up from you on the options. I'll upload again soon and will put up a version with the patch as well. My site is full of 'example' builds of software which is packaged with my 'src2pkg' program, so the sources, patches and build scripts are always right there with any package.

synth

#79 Post by synth »

There's a problem with the screenshot capture of mtPaint 3.30 / Puppy 4.2.

Bug reported by panzerpuppy:
When capturing a desktop screenshot with mtPaint, the process doesn't terminate after closing the mtPaint window.
You'll have to end it manually with Pprocess.

wjaguar

#80 Post by wjaguar »

synth wrote:There's a problem with the screenshot capture of mtPaint 3.30 / Puppy 4.2.
Unless a step-by-step procedure of reproducing the problem is given, I can only answer thusly: "There aren't any problems with the screenshot capture of mtPaint (any version) / Slackware 12.1" ;-)