(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 01 Oct 2020, 12:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
mtPaint development
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 4 of 7 [96 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Author Message
HairyWill


Joined: 26 May 2006
Posts: 2946
Location: Southampton, UK

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2009, 13:43    Post subject:  

When using the polygon selection tool, is there anyway of undoing the last point(or more) selected?
_________________
Will
contribute: community website, screenshots, puplets, wiki, rss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Lobster
Official Crustacean


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 15588
Location: Paradox Realm

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jan 2009, 23:48    Post subject:  

wjaguar wrote:
Trying to do something before the engine changes would amount to nothing but putting lipstick on a pig.


Well personally I wouldn't call mtpaint a pig Embarassed
We have had this conversation before
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=147007&search_id=1451178327#147007

Looking forward to the changes you are implementing Smile

_________________
Puppy Raspup 8.2 Final Cool
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
wjaguar

Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 359

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan 2009, 03:22    Post subject:  

HairyWill wrote:
When using the polygon selection tool, is there anyway of undoing the last point(or more) selected?

Not implemented yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Plume

Joined: 12 May 2008
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009, 13:21    Post subject: Saving exif data  

I found in this topic how to read exif data using exiv2. That's fine. However, after saving a picture there is no more exif data. Is there a way to save exif data when saving the picture itself?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
MU


Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 13647
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009, 14:32    Post subject:  

oops, wrong thread, sorry Embarassed
Mark

_________________
my recommended links
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
wjaguar

Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 359

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009, 15:05    Post subject: Re: Saving exif data  

Plume wrote:
Is there a way to save exif data when saving the picture itself?

Currently, there isn't.
The reasons are twofold. One, I don't myself do digital photography, so I don't even know why preserving Exif data through image edits is needed at all (and "Just because!" isn't a good answer, because making that happen would be anything but trivial). And another, libjpeg which mtPaint uses to read and write JPEG files knows nothing at all about Exif, so I would need to link to a separate library for Exif handling - and as far as I know, there isn't any one such library accepted as a de facto standard. The most popular ones seem to be libexif and libexiv2 - and still, some distros ship with one, some with another, others with both, and still others with neither.

-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev, maintainer of mtPaint =-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Plume

Joined: 12 May 2008
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009, 15:14    Post subject:  

Thank's for your answer.
The most important information I would like to save is the date/time the photo was done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
wjaguar

Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 359

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009, 16:34    Post subject:  

Plume wrote:
The most important information I would like to save is the date/time the photo was done.

One possible workaround could be to extract Exif data from the file before edit ('exiv2 ex filename.jpg'), and put them back afterwards ('exiv2 in filename.jpg'), provided the filename stays the same.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
WhoDo


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 4440
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW Australia

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009, 19:26    Post subject:  

wjaguar wrote:
Plume wrote:
The most important information I would like to save is the date/time the photo was done.

One possible workaround could be to extract Exif data from the file before edit ('exiv2 ex filename.jpg'), and put them back afterwards ('exiv2 in filename.jpg'), provided the filename stays the same.

That would require adding exiv from PETget in Puppy-4.2 as this was removed for space considerations.

Dmitry, is there any way to turn off the settings toolbar for first boot? It obscures the pulldown menu and doesn't help the program to look user-friendly.

Thanks

_________________
Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't!
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
wjaguar

Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 359

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009, 20:58    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
That would require adding exiv from PETget in Puppy-4.2 as this was removed for space considerations.

If user wants Exif handling, he can be expected to install the means of such handling. Smile

Anyway, even if I'd added Exif support to mtPaint, it would still require the library implementing it - most likely, libexif (160 Kb). And adding it won't be a minor change either, for I would first have to devise the means for attaching generic data to undo frames, without wasting a lot of memory on it (given that there can be up to 100000 undo frames).

Quote:
Dmitry, is there any way to turn off the settings toolbar for first boot? It obscures the pulldown menu and doesn't help the program to look user-friendly.

Given that in Puppy, user's home directory is always /root , you can just place an initial configfile ('.mtpaint') in there, with any changes to the default configuration you want. For the next feature release, I intend to add support for a systemwide "default configfile", but that still needs implementing.
But won't hiding the settings toolbar be counterproductive? People who do not read the manual (i.e., almost everyone) would then not even know where all the controls for drawing modes are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
WhoDo


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 4440
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW Australia

PostPosted: Sat 21 Mar 2009, 22:08    Post subject:  

wjaguar wrote:
Given that in Puppy, user's home directory is always /root , you can just place an initial configfile ('.mtpaint') in there, with any changes to the default configuration you want.

Got it, thanks. Cool

wjaguar wrote:
But won't hiding the settings toolbar be counterproductive? People who do not read the manual (i.e., almost everyone) would then not even know where all the controls for drawing modes are.

You mean like we had in 3.21 for Puppy 4.1.2? Razz Maybe forcing them to read the manual to find out is a good thing? I just found that the two windows on boot was confusing, especially since its position obscured the main menu. I just didn't know what I was supposed to do with the settings menu when it popped up. Maybe I'm just not a heavy-enough user for that. Rolling Eyes

_________________
Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't!
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 13653
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2009, 00:31    Post subject:  

There is no "Help" heading along the top of mtPaint, nor can I find mtPaint in Puppy's Help menu which links to online documentation for Puppy's included applications. How are the many Puppy users who are new to Linux and the open-source community supposed to know there is a manual for mtPaint, never mind where it is? Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
WhoDo


Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 4440
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW Australia

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2009, 00:44    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
There is no "Help" heading along the top of mtPaint, nor can I find mtPaint in Puppy's Help menu which links to online documentation for Puppy's included applications. How are the many Puppy users who are new to Linux and the open-source community supposed to know there is a manual for mtPaint, never mind where it is? Confused

Confused There is on my mtPaint, Flash! It's at the far right on the drop down menu bar. The "Documentation" heading gives instructions on how to install Help (since we don't include it by default), and the "About" heading gives shortcut key codes, etc.

_________________
Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't!
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
wjaguar

Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 359

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2009, 09:13    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
I just found that the two windows on boot was confusing, especially since its position obscured the main menu.

The position is stored in the same configfile, so you can just move the settings toolbar out of the way, and make that the default.
And yes, I see your point - the default position of settings toolbar really could be chosen better. It is just that I don't myself get a chance to see it in default position often. Smile

BTW, why not put a link to http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handbook/en_GB/chap_00.html into Puppy's Help menu? Lately, I see a bit too many people who don't even know mtPaint is supposed to have a manual - so it would be useful to make the manual easier to find.

And one more thing - when is Puppy 4.2 expected to be released? I have several bugfixes for mtPaint 3.30, and am going to do the 3.31 bugfix release soon - and it'd be unfortunate if I released it too late.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Flash
Official Dog Handler


Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 13653
Location: Arizona USA

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar 2009, 09:29    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:
Flash wrote:
There is no "Help" heading along the top of mtPaint, nor can I find mtPaint in Puppy's Help menu which links to online documentation for Puppy's included applications. How are the many Puppy users who are new to Linux and the open-source community supposed to know there is a manual for mtPaint, never mind where it is? Confused

Confused There is on my mtPaint, Flash! It's at the far right on the drop down menu bar. The "Documentation" heading gives instructions on how to install Help (since we don't include it by default), and the "About" heading gives shortcut key codes, etc.

Oops Embarassed I never look in the corner, away from the rest of the headings. Laughing Here's what I get when I click on Documentation:
mtPaint error msg.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   30.21 KB
 Viewed   852 Time(s)

mtPaint error msg.jpg


_________________
Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 4 of 7 [96 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0718s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0179s) ][ GZIP on ]