(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 04 Dec 2020, 16:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
OK-I screwed up Win XP and now I want to install Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
Linus72

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec 2008, 21:29    Post subject:  OK-I screwed up Win XP and now I want to install Puppy
Subject description: Want to wipe HD, make 4 partitions plus swap, install Puppy

OK, want to totally wipe entire drive, break into 4 or 5 partitions-puppy/ext2/primary, mint/ext2/primary, 2 other linux distros and the 5th partition would be a LinuxSwap.
Can this be done???
My Win XP is gone-see- http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=258720#258720
So, i'm gonna wipe entire drive-right?
I am very inexperienced with Linux, but have no choice now-only OS that's free!
What should I do?
jrb

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec 2008, 00:39    Post subject:  

Hi Linus,
I just read your other post. Before you do anything else google "fixmbr". There are free downloads of tools which will do this. During the install process for puppy you probably were asked to install "Grub". Grub overwrites the Windows boot instructions "mbr". Its an easy fix to get it back if you have the right tool, usually the Windows install disk.

There's a much less risky way of installing Grub and puppy called the Lin'n'Win method. You can google that too, it gives full instructions (but Windows has to be working)

If you want to get rid ot Windows then Gparted will definitely do that, but you need to understand the install process for puppy first. If you were unable to install it the first time then you need to investigate that a bit more. You still may be able to install puppy and get windows back at the same time.

I use both gparted and partiton magic. Sometimes one will work, sometimes the other and sometimes both. But I never touch a harddrive unless I have the Windows partition backed up (ghosted) to another partiition with Norton Ghost. That way if things do screw up its fairly easy to get back.

Hope that helps. Its all doable, you just have to figure it out (look in the right places and ask the right questions)

Bye for now, J
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: